gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680555 Posts in 27596 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 19, 2024, 06:45:09 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Jon Stebbins Thread  (Read 139580 times)
MBE
« Reply #200 on: February 29, 2012, 09:07:38 PM »

Saw Jon's book today at my local independent book store. Very cool to see.
CarlTheVoice
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #201 on: April 30, 2012, 12:26:44 PM »

Hi Jon,

Good to see you posting on here! I have a question about a passage in your book. Whilst talking about Time To Get Alone you say that Carl's produced version was not good enough so it went un-released. Is this your opinion or did Carl/Brian decide it wasn't quite good enough to release as single? I for one would have loved this to have become public property but it would be interesting to know what stopped it being a hit.

Thanks in advance! Smiley

C
Hi,
I heard the Carl produced version some years ago and it struck me as more minimal and kind of murky compared to Brian's track. I'm not an expert on the chronology of those sessions but I assume Carl's was recorded later than Brian's...probably in late '68 or early '69. The exact reason why Carl took a crack at the song is a mystery to me, but maybe he felt the Brian version was more of a Redwood song than a Beach Boys song. Anyway, i think Brian's track with the Beach Boys vocals on it is a fantastic recording, and in comparison Carl's was kind of half baked and I think incomplete. But its certainly a fascinating piece of music no matter.

Jon, I wanted to re-visit my question about TTGA. Is the version you refer to the 20/20 one? If so, I cannot understand why this was thought of as inferior to any other version! Do you know what Carl added to the sound when he produced it? I would love to know how he put his stamp on it. This piece of music is an absolutely amazing gift, I never fail to be moved by it.
gfac22
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #202 on: December 19, 2012, 06:55:38 PM »

Jon, I know you mentioned in an earlier post that you rarely check the 'Honored Guests' section, but maybe you will sometime soon.  Is there any update on the reissue of 'The Real Beach Boy'?
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #203 on: January 01, 2013, 12:23:45 PM »

Jon, I know you mentioned in an earlier post that you rarely check the 'Honored Guests' section, but maybe you will sometime soon.  Is there any update on the reissue of 'The Real Beach Boy'?
Thanks for asking. The only update I can give you is that work continues on the revised and expanded Dennis Wilson - The Real Beach Boy book. Its very hard to determine when it will be ready as my schedule continually changes and is challenged by other projects. I have a new book coming out in June (co-written with Ian Rusten) and that one took up a lot of my time the first half of last year.
http://www.amazon.com/Beach-Boys-Concert-Complete-Americas/dp/1617134562/ref=sr_1_4?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1354587023&sr=1-4&keywords=Jon+Stebbins

There are also a couple of other projects in the works (books and documentary) and getting the Dennis book out depends on how it all unfolds. Sorry to be vague, but the good news is that its progressing and one of these days I'll report a solid release schedule. I appreciate the continued interest from so many people, and I'm determined to give them a Dennis book they will cherish.
gfac22
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #204 on: January 08, 2013, 01:35:07 PM »

Great news, thanks for the update.  I'm sure it will be worth the wait. Thumbs Up
PrayForSurf
Smiley Smile Associate

Pray For Surf is blogged by Phil Miglioratti

View Profile WWW
« Reply #205 on: July 07, 2013, 10:16:43 AM »

Jon,

Mega-thanks for taking the time to talk about your just released Beach Boys in Concert book.

Listeners will enjoy your take on Badman, BeachBoysmania and their future legacy.

Phil@PrayForSurf.net

Link to the post and links for the podcast:

http://prayforsurfblog.blogspot.com/2013/07/exclusive-podcast-with-jon-stebbins-on.html

Podcast:
https://archive.org/download/BeachBoysJuly320134/BeachBoysJuly320134_vbr_mp3.zip  Download zip file
https://archive.org/download/BeachBoysJuly320134/BeachBoysJuly320134_vbr.m3u      Download
https://archive.org/stream/BeachBoysJuly320134     Stream

retrokid67
Smiley Smile Associate

Denny the Dream

View Profile
« Reply #206 on: December 22, 2013, 02:38:06 PM »

hi Mr. Stebbins.  I just wanted to know if denny sang in the harmony for "I'll Be Home for Christmas" or not because that's my favorite song on the album and if he wasn't apart of that...

"In this new day, change your heart.  Forgive your brother, for life is precious."

-Dennis Wilson
Gertie J.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #207 on: December 22, 2013, 05:43:13 PM »

ask c- man

dj, blogger, and hanger-on
retrokid67
Smiley Smile Associate

Denny the Dream

View Profile
« Reply #208 on: December 22, 2013, 06:53:40 PM »

I'm new here and I don't know who c-man is.  should I just ask him on the other thread or start a new one or?  sorry if I'm a bother I've just had this question in my mind for a long time Undecided

"In this new day, change your heart.  Forgive your brother, for life is precious."

-Dennis Wilson
Bedroom Tapes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #209 on: August 20, 2014, 12:06:43 PM »

I recently heard that a new Dennis Wilson book by Jon Stebbins is going to be released.  I'm really looking forward to reading something new about Dennis Wilson since I am a fan of his.  I was wondering what the current status of the book is and when I will be able to order it?
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #210 on: September 11, 2014, 06:18:14 PM »

I recently heard that a new Dennis Wilson book by Jon Stebbins is going to be released.  I'm really looking forward to reading something new about Dennis Wilson since I am a fan of his.  I was wondering what the current status of the book is and when I will be able to order it?
I've been developing a revised and expanded edition of the Real Beach Boy book for a few years, it has taken a long time to complete because it's a massive upgrade of the 2000 version of the book, and because of the many other projects and books that I've completed or that I am in the midst of working on. Also, the Dennis book has some legal clearance and liability issues that are slowing down the last phase of production, but all of this is being worked on and progress continues. It will be a much bigger and better version than my original DW book when it is released, but no release date can be given as of yet for the reasons mentioned above. Thanks for your interest in the book! I will certainly announce the release on this board when the time comes.
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #211 on: April 21, 2015, 06:24:50 AM »

Jon...Haven't seen you around for awhile.  You well?  Or just extra busy?  Lee

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #212 on: June 14, 2015, 09:36:21 AM »

All good. Just haven't had much time for board participation lately.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #213 on: June 14, 2015, 01:23:48 PM »

All good. Just haven't had much time for board participation lately.

jeez!  You need to re-order your priorities then....

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Jesse Reiswig
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #214 on: June 22, 2015, 02:49:35 PM »

Hi Jon,

Looking forward greatly to the new edition of The Real Beach Boy, whenever that should reach fruition. In the meantime, is there any way that you're aware of to get my hands on a copy of the original version for less than the $70 or so that I can find it for on Amazon or Barnes and Noble?

Thanks so much.
B.E.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #215 on: February 15, 2017, 12:15:42 PM »

I'm very interested in the revised and expanded edition of The Real Beach Boy. Are there still legal clearance and liability issues? I hope everything works out. I'm looking forward to it!

Every wave is new until it breaks.
Needleinthehay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #216 on: October 17, 2017, 05:40:01 PM »

I'm very interested in the revised and expanded edition of The Real Beach Boy. Are there still legal clearance and liability issues? I hope everything works out. I'm looking forward to it!

I, too, am curious about this. I never read the original (esp since its so high priced) so would love to buy the new one.
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #217 on: October 24, 2017, 12:35:08 PM »

Thanks for interest in the Real Beach Boy book. The orig. is pretty hard to find at a decent price, I guess it's a supply/demand thing. I only have a couple of copies myself. The new expanded edition continues to be something like my Smile, I haven't burned the files, but it's just been endless delays and stops and starts because of legal tangles, clearance and rights issues, and most importantly I have a day job and a wife and kids etc... Also working on many other things, like an expanded and revised David Marks book, another Beach Boys TV project, and some other Beach Boys and non-Beach Boys entertainment field stuff. All good, all exciting, all time consuming. The Dennis book is my baby though, and when it finally is released it will be a beautiful thing. Again, thanks for being interested. I greatly appreciate people wanting it, and also greatly appreciate people being patient. Should be soon.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #218 on: October 25, 2017, 05:47:24 AM »

Thanks for interest in the Real Beach Boy book.

Thank you, sir, for writing it. :=)

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #219 on: March 31, 2018, 08:09:18 AM »

And, of course, our autographed copies will be available before the clock strikes 2019... Wink...right Jon?  Better to be busy though.  Thumb twiddlin' ain't anywhere near what it's cracked up to be. Cool Guy

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx