gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680555 Posts in 27596 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 19, 2024, 09:17:58 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 19 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Peter Ames Carlin Thread  (Read 215008 times)
Charles LePage @ ComicList
Chairman Of The Board

Hit me with your pet shark.

View Profile WWW
« on: April 06, 2006, 01:56:18 PM »

Ask Peter questions. 

Feel free to review his book in the Book section once it's available to read and review.

"quiet here, no one got crap to say?" - bringahorseinhere
Peter Ames Carlin
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2006, 09:38:14 AM »

It sucks. Trust me. I've read it a hundred times, in various states of completion, and....

No, actually I don't think that. Just girding myself. But I'm looking forward to whatever feedback there is, when the thing finally hits the streets.

And if you think it sucks, well, you heard it here first.
Mitchell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2006, 09:41:57 AM »

So May 30th in hardcover, eh? Kewl.

Watch out for snakes!
Daniel S.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2006, 03:15:53 PM »

I'm gonna buy it. And then I'm gonna go home and read it.

Let us all stay teenage gamblers listening to the radio.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2006, 03:56:12 PM »

Hey Peter, do you know if there will be a german release?

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Peter Ames Carlin
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2006, 08:42:47 AM »

hi Floyd: I know the book is coming out in the UK. Not sure if there will be a German language edition or not. And my intel, at this point, has the book coming out on May 2 in the US, and about a month later in the UK. Not sure where that May 30 date comes from, unless that's the official UK date.
Mitchell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2006, 04:09:59 AM »

Amazon.ca lists it for May 30.

Product Details

Hardcover - 336 pages 1 edition (May 30, 2006)
Language: English
Rodale ; ISBN: 1594863202

Watch out for snakes!
Joanne
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2006, 06:19:00 AM »

Hi Peter,

BettyJo Productions is having a Beach Boys fan convention at the end of May in Detroit. Can you email us? I didn't see a contact on the website of yours.
bettyjoprod@yahoo.com

Thanks!
Howdy Doody
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2006, 10:38:28 AM »

How much more stuff is there to write about Brian in his heydey? Is this book gonna center more on recent years and such because then I would dig reading it very much.  Let me know Peter because I will also promote it among folks in NYC who are into Brian.  The post Landy years into the present would be a fascinating read for me.  When I do concerts as well I will promote it for you too.  IM me and give me all the details if you can.
Peter Ames Carlin
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2006, 07:39:41 PM »

Hi Mr. Doody: I don't really IM so we're going to have to commune here, or via email. Anyway, the book takes in the whole shebang, from Wm. Wilson's appearance on these shores in the late 18th c to Brian's show at the Hollywood Bowl on Sept. 3, 2005. Some events are covered in more detail than others, but there's definitely quite a lot of post-heyday stuff.

Hope that helps.

pac
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2006, 08:05:12 PM »

Mr. Doody

[giggle]

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2006, 04:18:23 AM »

Hey Peter,
with those things said about a possible reunion, would you write another book or do a "new version" of yours, if the reunion should happen?

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Peter Ames Carlin
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2006, 09:58:09 AM »

Hi Charles: Since my book hasn't even come out yet it's really hard for me to think about doing anything else other than getting it out and about and hopefully read and understand and maybe even enjoyed, here and there. And when it comes to the reunion thing. . . I'll believe it when I see it, for one thing. And even if it does happen, I can't help wondering how significant it will be, really. After all, Brian has already performed "Pet Sounds" in its entirety. This version of the BB's, such as it might be, is still nothing like the original BB's, given the importance of Carl's voice in the PS mix (who's going to sing "God Only Knows" in this group? Bruce?) And who's the band going to be? I know the BW band hasn't been approached to be a part of this alleged event. Does that mean this is going to be the Mike and Bruce show with Brian and Al brought onboard to sing? And can all those Hawaiian shirt guys play all those elaborate "PS" songs with the care and expertise of BW's band?

No answers here, just questions. And maybe there's some enormous emotional signficance for Brian, et. al, in coming back together, and not ending things with the rancor they've had for the last ten years or so. But as someone viewing from afar, I can only say that Brian's creative and emotional health have only seemed to get stronger since he left the Beach Boys. And that Mike and Bruce (the latter of whom observed to me in an email, in response to a music-geek query, "this is a BUSINESS to me")  seem far more engaged by the financial aspects of working with Brian than by the creative ones.

Ultimately these guys all deserve to be happy with themselves, their music and their relationships. If this is a step in MIke, Al and Brian's journey toward feeling okay with one another, at long last, than maybe it's the best possible thing. That would represent a huge step for all of them. If they can pull it off at this point in their lives, I'm all for it. But if this reunion is going to be just another iteration of the same old jealousies, hatred and greed, I couldn't think of anything worse.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2006, 12:07:10 PM »

Hi Charles:

??

But thanks for sharing your point of view. I didn't think of Bruce as being that much into the financial aspect.
The Hawaiian-shirt thing is another point.... Would they really perform Pet Sounds in that outfit???

- Jack Rieley
Glenn Greenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2006, 08:47:04 AM »

Hey Peter.

Really looking forward to buying (and reading!) your book.

Just wondering--how in-depth do you get into Brian's role in the post-SMILE era Beach Boys?

So many sources make it seem like Brian basically dropped out after SMILE and had no involvement with the Beach Boys again until 15 BIG ONES, and as a fairly new BB fan (three-and-a-half years or so), I believed that wholeheartedly... until I bought WILD HONEY, FRIENDS, 20/20, SUNFLOWER, etc. within the last couple of years.

I'd be interested in knowing just how involved he was in the making of those albums, what he was doing at the time, was he really just zoning out in his bedroom, and how connected he was to the band (and to reality itself, really) during that period.  I mean, clearly, he's on those albums, so he was with them on occasion, at least.

And do you delve deeply into Brian's return in 1976?  Domenic Priore seems to think, based on his recent SMILE book, that Brian intentionally sabotaged 15 BIG ONES and LOVE YOU by wrecking his voice so that he'd sound as awful as possible, because, deep down, he really didn't want those albums to succeed and he wanted to get back at the Beach Boys for not supporting him over the years.  I'm curious to know if you came to the same conclusion.

Glenn
Peter Ames Carlin
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2006, 10:18:29 AM »

Hi Glenn, thanks for your note. And yes, I get into Brian's post-"Smile" work/life in pretty vivid detail, I think. He was very much present for the late '60s albums, though with a rapidly fading sense of commitment and control over what was going on. Regarding the "15BO" and "Love You" era, my sense is that he was quite tentative on the former, less so on the latter. He's told me personally that those two albums are his most favorite of all BB albums, and maybe he really felt that at the moment he said it, but I think his feelings on that issue are subject to change from day to day. I agree with Dominic, however, that Brian's ragged voice in that era tells us something about his deeper (perhaps  subconscious) feelings regarding his career and relationship with the Beach Boys. But it's all very complex and paradoxical and so we can only surmise what was really going on at the time.
Glenn Greenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2006, 12:41:19 PM »

Thanks, Peter!

I'm buying the book the day it comes out!

Glenn
al
Smiley Smile Associate

Home again Home again jiggety jig...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2006, 04:30:48 PM »

Peter - is the book still on track? I see Amazon UK have cancelled orders (apparently).
Peter Ames Carlin
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2006, 08:26:54 AM »

Huh? That's news to me. I've been trading emails with the UK editor just this week and they're on track for their pub date, as far as I know. I have no idea why Amazon has got its cyber-panties in a cyber-twist over our weeks-long delay. But I believe I'm going to look into it right now.

To repeat: everything I hear from my publisher is that those late-stage negotiations are being concluded even as we speak, and CAW will be available for sale and shoplift in June. Slightly later (August) in Australia.
Third Coast
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2006, 06:01:16 PM »

Peter, I'm really looking forward to the book. My question:  I read somewhere that you r book mentions that Brian hasn't completely finished a track since 1968. If that's so, what do you think of his latest M.O. in the studio, i.e., using a more sparse arrangement? In other words, is this a new style for him, or does it just show his habit of not finishing his work?

Thanks!
Peter Ames Carlin
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2006, 09:51:08 AM »

Hi Mr. Coast: I can't really say one thing or another about how Brian's working these days, because I don't know for certain what he's doing, or with whom, or to what end. I sort of like the idea of his doing more sparse arrangements though, if only because it'd be so interesting to hear him work in a more organic format, particularly after these last years/decades of highly polished stuff. Also interesting to note that one of the beefs people have had with recent recordings (think: GIOMH) is that the tracks ended up being tinkered with by other hands, in order to make them suitable to their ears. So maybe a stripped-down BW tune comes closer to his initial sonic sensibility? Perhaps. Arguably.
andy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2006, 04:28:41 PM »

Definitely perhaps.
Glenn Greenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2006, 02:59:09 PM »

Buy.com says that the book is supposed to be available today, but that it will take 1 to 2 weeks to ship.  I ordered it yesterday with the impression that it would ship today--but it didn't.

Anyone know if the book is available yet?

Glenn
Peter Ames Carlin
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2006, 09:50:09 AM »

Here's the latest on the release date: Books should be shipping from Amazon and other online dealers on June 16. Official pub date probably in early July, but the actual on-the-street, in-the-bookstores  date closer to mid-June.

Thanks for your patience...and continued interest!

pac
Daniel S.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2006, 05:22:21 PM »

I pre-ordered my copy on Amazon a few weeks ago.

I also ordered this book on Phil Spector that's new. It's a collection of interviews and articles on Spector.

Let us all stay teenage gamblers listening to the radio.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 19 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx