gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 10:52:40 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Show 28: Riverbend - Cincinnati, OH 6/12/12  (Read 36328 times)
Oily Pig
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: June 13, 2012, 03:06:02 PM »

Hi all.  Just joined this site a few weeks ago.  This is my first post other than the introduction.

This was my 5th BB show and 1st of this tour.  Very 1st was in 1973, most recent was maybe 1980 or so.  Was lucky to score Pit row 4 tickets on tm.com a few weeks ago.  just lucked out - logged onto tm right as they were releasing some great Pit seats.  was seated right at the edge of Brian's piano, and just to the left of Jeff F.  Really great view!  I took my 69 year old sister with me.  It was her 1st BB concert.

For about 1/2 hour right before the show, i could see Brian seated side-stage behind a crack in the curtains...

(not a very good pic, had to enlarge and crop it.)  he looked very ancient and was perfectly still most of the time with his eyes closed.  it was almost scary and i wondered how he could go on in the condition he appeared to be in. 

I'll spare the song-by-song reviews and just say this...

WOW!  they were truly great!  it was possibly the most fun i've ever had at a concert, and i've been to a lot!  seen almost every classic band.... Stones 34 times, Aerosmith 11 times,  Paul McCartney and Wings,  Pink Floyd 5 times, J. Geils Band maybe 10 times, Todd Rundgren, The Who, i could go on and on.

First the minuses....  I was really looking forward to "It's OK" and "Marcella", but to tell you the truth, i don't think they did a very good job on either one.  I wish B. Johnston would have performed "Deirdre" instead of "Disney Girls".  I really love "Deirdre" and find DG kind of bland by comparison, IMO of course.  He did a nice job, though.  It may be just me, but i also thought the new songs were not as good as on the cd and i LOVE TWGMTR.  "God Only Knows" was too fast.

Now the pluses.... EVERYTHING ELSE!!! was really shocked how well some of the songs were performed and loved "Be True to Your School", "Kokomo", and "Barbara Ann".  was not expecting to like those songs live and was totally blown away by them.  "All This is That" was better than i expected, and i was expecting a lot on that one. 

Would like to give a more thorough review, but the wife is in the hospital.  She had back surgery a few weeks ago and it did not go so well.  It was all i could do to make this show.. drove down from Columbus and was awake for 42 hours straight before finally getting back home after the show.

I would just like to say what a wonderful group of fans you all are.  I've been reading all your posts since signing up.  The Beach Boys have the classiest fans on earth.  It is a tribute to them and to you!
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: June 13, 2012, 04:42:01 PM »

Hi to all the new members/first time posters !

From Facebook:

BTW what is that about "Vegetables" ? Did they rehearse that?  Shocked

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: June 13, 2012, 04:44:24 PM »

Vega-tables sure would work well in the California Dreamin'/California Saga Al slot...
Wah Wah Wah Ooooo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 13, 2012, 05:23:31 PM »

I did not hear them rehearse "Vegetables."  I admittedly wasn't able to hear all of the soundcheck, but I did hear most of it and "Vegetables" wasn't in what I heard. I heard them working on "Isn't It Time," "Darlin," "Please Let Me Wonder," "Good Vibrations," " You're so Good To Me," and "Dance, Dance, Dance."  YSGTM, DDD and Darlin didn't make the setlist for the show.

"I'm in a band. We're called the Beach Boys." ~ Brian Wilson
Wah Wah Wah Ooooo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 13, 2012, 05:49:22 PM »

I also just realized that earlier I said Al messed up the rhythm to "California Saga" pretty badly, but actually it was "Cottonfields."  Totten had to conduct the band to try and speed up to catch up to Al, but by then, Al realized what was going on and slowed down the lead vocal. 

ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #80 on: June 13, 2012, 05:53:12 PM »

a post here:

http://www.brianwilson.com/cgi-bin/community/viewmessage.cgi?r=133956882317381186171&l=level2

... claims that they did Heroes & Villains/Our Prayer (snippet)

WHAT?! is someone high? Are they just confusing the normal H&V ending with Our Prayer?

I'd imagine if they actually did this, this board would be on top of it.
Wah Wah Wah Ooooo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 13, 2012, 07:04:11 PM »

They didn't do "Our Prayer."  It was just the normal acapella ending to Heroes....

Someone is definitely just not familiar with Smile and the non-single version(s) of Heroes

Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 13, 2012, 07:10:29 PM »

From Facebook:

Is Al experimenting with a new hairstyle, parting his hair of the other side? I did notice he was sporting a small hairpiece for this tour...
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 13, 2012, 08:20:12 PM »

From Facebook:

Is Al experimenting with a new hairstyle, parting his hair of the other side? I did notice he was sporting a small hairpiece for this tour...

Unless you were joking, I don't think he's got a piece....it just seems to be grown out a tad longer than usual...a combover maybe? Yeah...by a stretch  Tongue
DJole
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 14, 2012, 12:37:41 AM »

Photos of the show:

http://www.f lickr.com/photos/scottpreston73/sets/72157630118754952/

I don't know why it's showing foderr  instead of f lickr on the board?!? And I can't change it!?! So when you wanna use the link just copy it and delete one blank spot in the name of the site!!!
 Huh Huh Huh Huh
« Last Edit: June 14, 2012, 12:48:08 AM by DJole » Logged
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx