gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 01:00:38 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Show 28: Riverbend - Cincinnati, OH 6/12/12  (Read 36320 times)
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2012, 05:29:37 PM »

How's the crowd, sold out?

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2012, 05:49:09 PM »

Jeff has "Don't Worry Baby" (pretty much a shoe in considering no one else could do it), then Totten got "Betsy", next either John or Darian get "Darlin"...hey if they're gonna give all the past vocalist a spotlght...fine by me.  Hopefully they'll make it all the way to Scott Bennett too (he did nail "Sail on Sailor" a few tours ago).  If it means more songs to the set and keeping Brian engaged---no arguments from me.
Empire Of Love
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2012, 06:02:39 PM »

Bruce did Disney Girls.  Am I mistaken or is that a recent add to the stylist?  I seem to recall people saying they wish it would be added
« Last Edit: June 12, 2012, 06:03:59 PM by mypetsounds » Logged

Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 12, 2012, 06:05:56 PM »

Bruce did Disney Girls.  Am I mistaken or is that a recent add to the stylist?  I seem to recall people saying they wish it would be added

It's been there since the start I believe.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: June 12, 2012, 06:06:17 PM »

It's been in and out, mostly in. They skipped it at a few shows where Bruce reportedly said his throat was bugging him a bit. It might have been cut from the hand full of shortened shows they've done for festivals, not too sure.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
egon spengler
« Reply #30 on: June 12, 2012, 06:08:07 PM »

Intermission.. No surprises yet, and I peeked at the set list on stage and don't see Darlin'. Great show so far!

Mike made fun of Bruce for writing I Write the Songs--"Due to curfew we won't be playing it tonight, but you'll hear it tomorrow at the dentist's, or in the elevator, or...," to which Bruce responds, "Yeah, right after Kokomo" LOL
JohnMill
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 12, 2012, 06:09:34 PM »

Intermission.. No surprises yet, and I peeked at the set list on stage and don't see Darlin'. Great show so far!

Mike made fun of Bruce for writing I Write the Songs--"Due to curfew we won't be playing it tonight, but you'll hear it tomorrow at the dentist's, or in the elevator, or...," to which Bruce responds, "Yeah, right after Kokomo" LOL

Scripted dialogue. 

God Bless California
For It Marks My Faith To See
You're The Only State With The Sacred Honor
....to sink into the sea
Mark H.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 12, 2012, 06:09:58 PM »

Perfect weather, looks like a sellout or pretty damn close.  Crowd is standing up for 75 percent of the show thus far.  First set just smoked - Dave is great out front on the lead.  Brian is Brian.  The second set starts in a few.
Musketeer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 12, 2012, 06:10:23 PM »

Intermission. Nothing new to the setlist so far. The MVP's are IMO Jeff and Dave. Brian seems OK. I think he has more to do in the second set. I will also give props to Mike. He came out on fire and has pretty much stayed at that level throughout. Looking forward to set #2!
« Last Edit: June 12, 2012, 08:32:41 PM by Musketeer » Logged
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: June 12, 2012, 06:12:46 PM »

The pattern has seemed to be that when a "new" song pops up in a soundcheck, it takes a show or two before it gets into the actual setlist. Assuming "Darlin'" went okay, I would imagine it'll be in the next show or added within a couple of a shows.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Zach95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 12, 2012, 06:19:16 PM »

The pattern has seemed to be that when a "new" song pops up in a soundcheck, it takes a show or two before it gets into the actual setlist. Assuming "Darlin'" went okay, I would imagine it'll be in the next show or added within a couple of a shows.

Which is great because I'm going to Saratoga the 23rd!  Cool Guy

Let us know if California Sage remains in the setlist!

Ain't nothin' upside your head!
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 12, 2012, 06:44:15 PM »

Thats what I was thinking....so my favorite beach boys song will be on the set for my Friday concert...right? Grin Grin Grin
Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 12, 2012, 08:00:38 PM »

How's the crowd, sold out?

More crowded than I expected, a lot of young people in the lawn, great show!
Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 12, 2012, 08:01:51 PM »

Mike announced tha TWGMTR will be #3 in billboard.
Musketeer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 12, 2012, 08:28:38 PM »

Mike announced tha TWGMTR will be #3 in billboard.

Which was a pretty cool to have announced at my concert. What's cool is at intermission when I checked in here and read that it would be #3, I saw Mike Love on his cellphone (my seats had a view of a small part of the backstage area) I'd bet anything he was getting the word then about the #3 status.

Anyway....great concert! Brian was better than he appeared to be at the videos I saw of Bonnarro. And the backing band was terrific as usual. Dave and Jeff were great as I previously mentioned.

No new songs yet....All Summer Long was done near the end of the second set. I'm not sure if that's been in the setlist all tour or not.

In short, a wonderful night and a wonderrful concert!  Smiley
Musketeer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 12, 2012, 08:32:06 PM »

Which is great because I'm going to Saratoga the 23rd!  Cool Guy

Let us know if California Sage remains in the setlist!

Yes California Saga third song in second set, Al on banjo.

And if it wasn't a sellout it was damn close to one.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 12, 2012, 09:00:25 PM »

Were they selling the CD for 5 bucks?

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
acedecade75
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 12, 2012, 09:21:15 PM »

Yes, you are correct it was Al who did Mike's leads. And they also did Sister Golden Hair since Mr. Beckley was there. It was a good concert but a little strange with only 3 Beach Boys there (Al, Carl, Bruce) and very little talking between songs. And my memory was faulty it must have been 90 or 91 because my last Beach Boys concert was right after SIP was released and Mike was there. Btw, we were offered a refund when it was announced that Mike wouldn't be there.

I imagine there were probably a lot of flubbed lyrics if Al was doing leads he wasn't used to doing.

Heh not sure, he played these with them for more than 20 years...

But wow, must have been quite a unique concert! is there any recording of it?

I'm not sure about this show, but there is a recording in existance of the band in Canada on June 2,1990 without Mike Love.  Al does most lead vocals and Gerry Beckley was there.  It was only an audience recording, but very interesting.
egon spengler
« Reply #43 on: June 12, 2012, 10:00:47 PM »

During the Fun Fun Fun encore I waved my Lost Beach Boy book at Dave.. He cracked up, then leaned over and handed me hid guitar pick! What a night.. totally worth it, even though I have to be up in about 2 hours to catch a flight (zzzzz)
Mark H.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 12, 2012, 10:27:07 PM »

One of the best shows I've ever seen them perform - for some old guys they are rocking pretty hard.  The mix was great - we were in the first row behind the pit right in front of Brian.  In the encore it did appear Brian was uncomfortable playing the bass - it looked like he was ready to split.  While it's a nice thought it's kind of painful to watch - he should just stay behind the keys unless he just wants to do it.  I have mix feelings about the Dennis and Carl songs but they were done tastefully.
Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #45 on: June 12, 2012, 10:30:26 PM »

During the Fun Fun Fun encore I waved my Lost Beach Boy book at Dave.. He cracked up, then leaned over and handed me hid guitar pick! What a night.. totally worth it, even though I have to be up in about 2 hours to catch a flight (zzzzz)

GOod tip! I'll bring mine next week!  Evil
Mark H.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 12, 2012, 11:05:48 PM »

They played "You're so Good To me" during the soundcheck but not in the show.
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 13, 2012, 01:10:25 AM »

Yes, you are correct it was Al who did Mike's leads. And they also did Sister Golden Hair since Mr. Beckley was there. It was a good concert but a little strange with only 3 Beach Boys there (Al, Carl, Bruce) and very little talking between songs. And my memory was faulty it must have been 90 or 91 because my last Beach Boys concert was right after SIP was released and Mike was there. Btw, we were offered a refund when it was announced that Mike wouldn't be there.

I imagine there were probably a lot of flubbed lyrics if Al was doing leads he wasn't used to doing.

I'm not sure about this show, but there is a recording in existance of the band in Canada on June 2,1990 without Mike Love.  Al does most lead vocals and Gerry Beckley was there.  It was only an audience recording, but very interesting.

Would love to hear any recording there is out there of the band's performance that was done without Mike Love (not that i hate him, just that it would be interesting).
DJole
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 13, 2012, 02:56:58 AM »

Setlist:

Set 1

Do It Again
Little Honda
Catch a Wave
Hawaii
Don't Back Down
Surfin' Safari
Surfer Girl
This Whole World
Marcella
Then I Kissed Her (The Crystals cover)
Kiss Me, Baby
Isn't It Time
Please Let Me Wonder
Why Do Fools Fall in Love (Frankie Lymon & The Teenagers cover)
When I Grow Up (to Be a Man)
Cotton Fields (Lead Belly cover)
It's OK
Be True to Your School
Disney Girls
Ballad of Ole' Betsy
Don't Worry Baby
Little Deuce Coupe
Shut Down
I Get Around

Set 2

Add Some Music to Your Day
Heroes and Villains
California Saga: California
Sloop John B
Wouldn't It Be Nice
I Just Wasn't Made for These Times
Sail on, Sailor
All This Is That
That's Why God Made the Radio
In My Room
Forever (Dennis Wilson vocals on video)
God Only Knows (Carl Wilson vocals on video)
Good Vibrations
California Girls
All Summer Long
Help Me, Rhonda
Rock and Roll Music (Chuck Berry cover)
Do You Wanna Dance? (Bobby Freeman cover)
Surfin' USA

Encore:

Kokomo
Barbara Ann (The Regents cover)
Fun, Fun, Fun
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 13, 2012, 05:21:23 AM »

Would love to hear any recording there is out there of the band's performance that was done without Mike Love (not that i hate him, just that it would be interesting).

The sound qualoty of the Ontario show is worthless. And as great as Al's voice is, Mike's songs seem to work properly for the Lovester only.

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx