gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680749 Posts in 27614 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 05:16:25 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Show 28: Riverbend - Cincinnati, OH 6/12/12  (Read 36533 times)
Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: June 12, 2012, 05:06:02 AM »

I have an extra Lawn seat I will sell to anyone that needs one for face value.  I found out my 4 year old doesn't need a ticket.  Hope to see a great show, first concert for my 4 year old and 6 year old.
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2012, 05:38:37 AM »

make sure you tape them at the concert at that so they can brag about it in 40+ years
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2012, 06:01:10 AM »

I have an extra Lawn seat I will sell to anyone that needs one for face value.  I found out my 4 year old doesn't need a ticket.  Hope to see a great show, first concert for my 4 year old and 6 year old.
That's so cool......
Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2012, 07:26:21 AM »

That's so cool......

Yeah, we are excited, not sure if they are more excited for the concert or staying up late.  They love "Isn't It Time," so hopefully it gets played.
Musketeer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2012, 07:33:38 AM »

Very cool, Parks Asher! I will be there too! This will be my first Beach Boys concert since 1992 ( after seeing them every year since 1976) and my first with any Beach Boys since Brian Wilson's Pet Sounds Tour in 2000. We should have a good weather night as the humid air is clearing out of here. Hopefully that translates to a good concert.
Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2012, 08:32:47 AM »

Very cool, Parks Asher! I will be there too! This will be my first Beach Boys concert since 1992 ( after seeing them every year since 1976) and my first with any Beach Boys since Brian Wilson's Pet Sounds Tour in 2000. We should have a good weather night as the humid air is clearing out of here. Hopefully that translates to a good concert.

I hope so, I have never seen the Beach Boys with Brian.  I saw them on the unplugged tour at Riverbend in 93 or 94, that was a great show.  I take it you are a Musketeers fan, so am I, Go XAVIER!
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2012, 08:48:10 AM »

Yeah, wishing I was going to be there.  Enjoy the show!

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Musketeer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2012, 08:55:48 AM »

My last Beach Boys concert was at Kings Island without Mike Love which was interesting. And yes, go Xavier!
SG7
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2012, 11:19:24 AM »

My last Beach Boys concert was at Kings Island without Mike Love which was interesting. And yes, go Xavier!

Do you remember who sang lead at your show instead?
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2012, 11:27:46 AM »

Do you remember who sang lead at your show instead?

I obviously wasn't there, but to the best of my knowledge, the last BB shows that Mike Love missed were a short string of shows in 1990. It appears Gerry Beckley sat in with the band, but Al (and at some shows Jeff Foskett) did the Mike leads at those shows. I've heard a really murky show from Ontario in June of 1990 where Al sings all of Mike's leads. It sounds like it would be an interesting show to hear in good fidelity.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Musketeer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2012, 11:33:58 AM »

Yes, you are correct it was Al who did Mike's leads. And they also did Sister Golden Hair since Mr. Beckley was there. It was a good concert but a little strange with only 3 Beach Boys there (Al, Carl, Bruce) and very little talking between songs. And my memory was faulty it must have been 90 or 91 because my last Beach Boys concert was right after SIP was released and Mike was there. Btw, we were offered a refund when it was announced that Mike wouldn't be there.
startBBtoday
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2012, 11:36:03 AM »

Yes, you are correct it was Al who did Mike's leads. And they also did Sister Golden Hair since Mr. Beckley was there. It was a good concert but a little strange with only 3 Beach Boys there (Al, Carl, Bruce) and very little talking between songs. And my memory was faulty it must have been 90 or 91 because my last Beach Boys concert was right after SIP was released and Mike was there. Btw, we were offered a refund when it was announced that Mike wouldn't be there.

I imagine there were probably a lot of flubbed lyrics if Al was doing leads he wasn't used to doing.
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2012, 11:38:08 AM »

I imagine there were probably a lot of flubbed lyrics if Al was doing leads he wasn't used to doing.

Heh not sure, he played these with them for more than 20 years...

But wow, must have been quite a unique concert! is there any recording of it?
Musketeer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2012, 11:53:33 AM »

I don't know about recordings. I don't recall any flubbed lines. Al was in his late 40's I guess. It was technically a better concert as I prefer Al's voice to Mike's but as I said there was little onstage patter. Instead of the big build up Mike would do with the car song medley it was kind of like "we're going to do some car songs now. I guess imagine a whole concert like the difference in the Caifornia Saga lead with Al instead of Mike. If that makes any sense.
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2012, 12:59:36 PM »

I don't know about recordings. I don't recall any flubbed lines. Al was in his late 40's I guess. It was technically a better concert as I prefer Al's voice to Mike's but as I said there was little onstage patter. Instead of the big build up Mike would do with the car song medley it was kind of like "we're going to do some car songs now. I guess imagine a whole concert like the difference in the Caifornia Saga lead with Al instead of Mike. If that makes any sense.

Well hey, as long it sounds good.
Musketeer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2012, 01:54:57 PM »

I have every confidence both Al and Mike will be here tonight. And that they will not cave to local pressure and add Susie Cincinnati to the setlist.
Mark H.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2012, 02:31:01 PM »

Sound check is sounding good - up front seats.  Other than some Brian shows this is my first BB show since Carl passed.  Pretty jazzed!
Zach95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2012, 02:49:57 PM »

Sound check is sounding good - up front seats.  Other than some Brian shows this is my first BB show since Carl passed.  Pretty jazzed!

Thanks for the update! Keep us posted!  Grin

Ain't nothin' upside your head!
Musketeer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2012, 04:12:19 PM »

I am here! Looks like a little more elderly crowd than at Bonnoroo, of which I am one. It does look like it might be pretty close to a sellout though.
egon spengler
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2012, 04:38:12 PM »

Got a taste of Darlin' during the soundcheck! I also ran into Nelson and requested Vegatables--he laughed heartily and said Mike would totally go for that LOL
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2012, 04:44:29 PM »

Got a taste of Darlin' during the soundcheck! I also ran into Nelson and requested Vegatables--he laughed heartily and said Mike would totally go for that LOL

YES! Darlin'?!?! Darian sang I presume?
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2012, 04:45:11 PM »

It's a featured number for Cowsill in Mike's band, so I wouldn't be so sure.
Empire Of Love
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2012, 04:48:08 PM »

Third song in, unfukking believable.

RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2012, 04:52:09 PM »

It's a featured number for Cowsill in Mike's band, so I wouldn't be so sure.

True, he did a very nice job of it when I saw that band two years ago. But Darian knocks it out of the park too...any clarification from anyone? Has it been played yet? We're aparently three songs in...this one tends to show up early in the set.
Empire Of Love
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2012, 05:07:05 PM »

Coolest guy on stage: David Marks, by far.  My new favorite Beach Boy.

gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx