gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680747 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 02:03:22 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Has Anyone Else Heard Any Unrealeaed Albums/ Lost Materpieces Besides Smile?  (Read 14068 times)
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: June 11, 2012, 11:44:45 PM »

& If so, What did you think of it? Smiley
The only albums I heard that were unreleased were:

David Bowie - Toy Album...
The Who - Lifehouse..
Prince - Dream Factory

I absolutely love each of them. :D
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2012, 12:55:41 AM »

Weezer-Songs From the Black Hole

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2012, 01:40:48 AM »

Landlocked/California Feelin'/AdultChild are nowhere near 'lost' masterpiece' status, but they exist nonetheless.
onkster
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2012, 07:09:31 AM »

Chrome Dreams by Neil Young is pretty good, though a lot of it came out later scattered across other albums.

Jon Brion has about 12 albums' worth of stuff, done and mixed, but he won't put 'em out, so I haven't heard them. Drives me nuts. There's gotta be a least one album's worth there you might call a lost masterpiece.

Of course, there's Sweet Insanity by Brian, though it's not great. Good singing, mediocre songs, plastic instrumentation. Not a must, sadly.

There are 2 versions of The Beatles' Get Back album, which begat Let It Be, but to be honest, they're not great--oftentimes, bad takes were selected, and Glyn Johns' reverb-drenched mix is awful. There are lots of people who think the GB albums are "better" because they're more "honest" or whatever, but really: as far as musical enjoyment, there's very little that plays well on these. The best thing is the in-between songs bits, which are often funny and sweet. But it sounds like they're playing in a giant bathroom somewhere, and far away from the mic's. Both Let It Be albums are better.

I've also heard an unreleased acetate of an alternate version of Neil Young's "Tonight's the Night", and it's good, but apparently not the very original, long-raps version we keep hearing is so special. But this one is good, and an interesting alternative to the still-excellent released version.

There's a Wings album called "Cold Cuts" which is marginally interesting--there are about 4 pretty good cuts and a load of embarrassing stuff--but not exactly an album, but more a leftovers collection. Still hasn't come out.

I did take a listen to Jan and Dean's Carnival (correct title?) before it finally got put out, but I didn't "get" it. Some people love it.

As far as "lost masterpieces", I have yet to hear anything that comes close to SMiLE. I wish there were.

I'll have to take a listen to your "big three" that you mention--if you're that excited about 'em, I gotta hear 'em!

meltedwhiskeyinmyhand
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2012, 07:33:11 AM »

The Black Crowes - Tall. It was supposed to be the bands 3rd album. Chris acted as Producer and they spent a million dollars on it to ultimately shelve it. Amorica came out instead.

Ryan Adams has dozens of unreleased albums where he has recorded traditonal stuff, rap and even death metal.

I'm also pretty sure that Mad Season recorded an unreleased album but I havent heard that one.
cablegeddon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2012, 07:34:20 AM »

The Who - Lifehouse..

Is there like a torrent with the complete thing out there?

Brian Wilson fan since august 2011
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2012, 09:24:25 AM »

yup, Newguy, do some research on this one.  You'll loooooove it. 
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2012, 10:23:15 AM »

The Who - Lifehouse..

Is there like a torrent with the complete thing out there?
I got it from some guy in downtown los angeles it's a bootleg Smiley idk if there's a torrent but i might upload it on youtube..
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2012, 10:23:54 AM »

i'm definitely interested in checking it out i just read about it Smiley interesting concept but how do i find it?
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2012, 10:25:06 AM »

one bootleg song i want to check out but haven't came across ever is the song "sherry she needs me" i'm dying to hear it Smiley
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2012, 11:43:27 AM »

i'm definitely interested in checking it out i just read about it Smiley interesting concept but how do i find it?

You can't, he never released it. (not sure how much he finished)
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2012, 11:49:51 AM »

You can't, he never released it. (not sure how much he finished)
so there's a few songs i checked out from it Smiley but f*** i wanna hear more! :/
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2012, 12:22:13 PM »

It became Pinkerton. 
Dead Parrot
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2012, 01:09:37 PM »

You can make a pretty good 2nd Pink Floyd album, made up solely of songs Syd Barrett either wrote or performed on. My latest tracklisting for this goes.....

Scream Thy Last Scream
Remember A Day
In The Beechwoods
Set The Controls For The Heart Of The Sun
Paintbox
Vegetable Man
No Title
Jugband Blues
SBonilla
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2012, 02:41:40 PM »

one bootleg song i want to check out but haven't came across ever is the song "sherry she needs me" i'm dying to hear it Smiley
The track is great. The lyrics are the worst. It's a about a passive aggressive narcissist who is dropping his girlfriend using the excuse that the pathetic other girl he is leaving her for 'needs' him. Oh, and he adds that maybe they can remain friends. What a jerk. He needed to be punched right in his third eye.

Nino Tempo & Arpril Stevens do it exactly right on ALL STRUNG OUT, a masterfully executed recording.
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2012, 02:47:23 PM »

The track is great. The lyrics are the worst. It's a about a passive aggressive narcissist who is dropping his girlfriend using the excuse that the pathetic other girl he is leaving her for 'needs' him. Oh, and he adds that maybe they can remain friends. What a jerk. He needed to be punched right in his third eye.

Nino Tempo & Arpril Stevens do it exactly right on ALL STRUNG OUT, a masterfully executed recording.
i heard "she says that she needs" off of brian's album but is there any way i can get "sherry" online? and if so where at?
MyGlove
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2012, 04:31:20 PM »

There's was this proto punk band back in the 70's called Death. They got signed, got half way through recording the album, and the record label refused to allow them continue unless they changed their name. They refused. So they never finished recording. However the seven songs that they did record were found and released a couple years ago, plus demos of the unrecorded. It sounds like MC5 or the Stooges meets Bad Brains. (assuming you know who those bands are). Not bad.

Otherwise,

Velvet Underground's missing fourth album (it was later released as VU, you can buy it pretty much)

that's all i can think of
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2012, 05:30:28 AM »

Although it's a bit obscure, Lloyd Cole's 1996 follow-up to LOVE STORY was recorded but went unreleased. A few tracks showed up on THE NEGATIVES album a few years later, some more was included in a compilation release entitled ETC.  and additional tracks showed up only a couple of years ago in his rarity box set CLEANING OUT THE ASHTRAYS. Collecting all the tracks in one place proves it to be one of his best albums.

I asked Lloyd what he intended to call the album and he said he was considering two titles: THE MIDDLE AGES and SMILE IF YOU WANT TO (I have to think that the latter title might be a nod to it being an unreleased album!).
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2012, 10:01:02 PM »

Technically, Lifehouse as an album doesn't exist, because a final tracklist was never compiled. Most of the better songs that were meant for Lifehouse ended up as Who's Next, while others ended up as obscure b-sides, or on later albums. A few songs from the original Lifehouse concept were demoed by Pete Townshend, but never even recorded by The Who.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2012, 07:45:48 AM »

Lifehouse does exist, the novel gives a very good approximated track listing.

Dead Parrot
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2012, 12:26:35 PM »

FWIW, this is the tracklisting Pete Townshend used on Lifehouse Chronicles. Bear in mind that some of these tracks come from later attempts at completing Lifehouse

Disc One
Teenage Wasteland
Going Mobile
Baba O'Riley
Time is Passing
Love Ain't for Keeping
Bargain
Too Much of Anything
Music Must Change
Greyhound Girl
Mary
Behind Blue Eyes
Baba O'Riley (Instrumental)
Sister Disco

Disc Two
I Don't Even Know Myself
Put the Money Down
Pure And Easy
Getting in Tune
Let's See Action
Slip Kid
Relay
Who Are You
Join Together
Won't Get Fooled Again
The Song Is Over
TheLazenby
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2012, 08:49:50 PM »

Some of my favorite albums are officially unreleased.  For example, Chumbawamba's "Jesus H. Christ", Eminem's "F***ing Crazy" and "Off The Wall" (both far less commercial than the "Slim Shady" and "Marshall Mathers" LP's from the same time period), and the Bee Gees' "A Kick In The Head Is Worth Eight In The Pants."  The latter is actually my favorite Bee Gees album.

Other ones that have a handful of good tracks are They Might Be Giants' "Superfueled Freaksickle" (from which all material was actually released commercially anyway), Eminem's "Don't Call Me Marshall" (a lost 8 Mile-era album), and Maurice Gibb's "The Loner."

I'm hoping we get the third (and final) recorded track from Pink Floyd's "Household Objects" on a future Immersion set.  (Meddle, perhaps?  That's coming next...)
Music Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2012, 10:13:20 PM »

Lifehouse is easier to piece together with Pete's demos cause then you have access to all the songs penned for the project, if you use Who recordings you miss out on a few. If you get the two disc deluxe edition of Who's Next, Odds and Sods and Rarities vol 2 then you have the building blocks to try and make your own Who version of Lifehouse, for a Pete version you need the Lifehouse Chronicles box set which sadly is out of print. I would love to see a reissue that pairs down the bloated original 6 disc release to  the most important part, the two discs of demos.

In the mid 70's when the Who started Who Films LTD they wanted to make a film version of Lifehouse as one of their projects and Pete started revisiting and revising the storyline and adding more songs and some of these made it on to By Numbers and Who Are You. Lifehouse was slated to become the fourth major Who Films LTD project (after The Kids Are Alright, Quadrophenia and McVicar) with Nicolas Roeg directing but Nicolas was involved with Theresa Russell at the time, and Pete lusted after her. The three had planned to go see Pink Floyd live together but Nicolas couldn't make it and Pete took advantage and tried to convince Theresa to leave Nicolas for him. When Nicolas found out he was furious and left the project and no serious attempt was made to find another director to continue the project, Who Films LTD dissolved and Lifehouse was abandoned a second time.
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2012, 11:06:25 PM »

Do any of you know why The Who didn't release Lifehouse?
Jukka
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2012, 12:54:04 PM »

Original version of Fiona Apple's Extraordinary Machine, produced by Jon Brion. It indeed is great, but I personally prefer the groovier and simpler version that was ultimately released.

"Surfing and cars were okay but there was a war going on."
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx