gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680823 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 02:51:38 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Albums That Were Considered Huge Flops That You Actually Enjoy...  (Read 7390 times)
Malc
Smiley Smile Associate

It's all about 'harmony' ...

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2014, 11:59:22 PM »

Tony Banks "A Curious Feeling", Mike Rutherfords "Smallcreeps Day" and Steve Hackets "Spectral Mornings"... all amazing albums but forever overshadowed by the solo success of the Phil Collins collection and the ongoing credibility of the Gabriel releases...

www.facebook.com/beachboysalbumsleeves - a cool place to visit !
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2014, 02:02:21 AM »

Well I know it's confusing how some albums are considered the worst but some still have gems and some people like them (not everybody have to agree)
What album that is considered crap/flop do you actually like/enjoy?

The Rolling Stones - Their Satanic Majesties Request (Sgt. Peppers? psh my ass this was something totally different and way better.)

I also consider it to be the great psychedelic album! My faves are See What Happens (!!!), 2000 Light Years From Home, She's a Rainbow, Gomper. Others I like as well. All in all, that was a very good attempt at making unconventional non-bluesy & non-r'n'b LP for The Rolling Stones.
Agreed on TSMR. There are some wonderful tracks on there, with Brian Jones much in evidence (although it seems he detested the album). Standout tracks for me? "Citadel" kicks ass and "2000 Light Years From Home" is seriously scary. Wonderful stuff.

I'm assuming "huge flop" is meant comparatively. Comparatively huge flops i enjoy (and that have not been mentioned yet) include stuff from Gary Numan's middle period (eg Metal Rhythm), Lou Reed's Metal Machine Music, The Beta Band's self-named debut (even they hated it!) and U2 's October.

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Orange Crate Art
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2014, 07:14:12 AM »

Smiley Smile for sure. And most of the Velvet Underground, MC5, Blue Cheer and Stooges catalogs.

Hey did you hear that George fell into his French horn?
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: April 07, 2014, 10:01:11 AM »

Are we talking albums which were a commercial disaster, or those which were lambasted by the critics whilst selling truckloads ?

The former - The Story Of Simon Simopath (Nirvana, 1967)...

The latter - Tales From Topographic Oceans (Yes, 1973).

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
bluesno1fann
« Reply #29 on: April 07, 2014, 04:43:39 PM »

Are we talking albums which were a commercial disaster, or those which were lambasted by the critics whilst selling truckloads ?

The former - The Story Of Simon Simopath (Nirvana, 1967)...

The latter - Tales From Topographic Oceans (Yes, 1973).

I think it's commercial disasters
jet without wings
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 07, 2014, 07:00:30 PM »

In no particular order
Souther Hillman Furay Band (1st album)
Dave Mason Mariposa d' Oro
Eric Clapton Back Home

Jet without wings
Moon Dawg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 07, 2014, 08:20:01 PM »

REM - UP, first album without Bill Berry. They went in a new direction, I think the album is brilliant, most thought it was crap.

Yes. Things trended DOWN for R.E.M. shortly thereafter, but UP was quite good.

Also

TRANS-Neil Young
                                                                                BE HERE NOW-Oasis
                                                                                FOOL-Elvis Presley
                                                                                THE BELLE ALBUM-Al Green  
                                                                                HERE, MY DEAR-Marvin Gaye                      

FOOL is an odd duck, even for an Elvis album. It was the follow up to the multimedia global spectacular ALOHA FROM HAWAII success yet only reached #52 on Billboard, a most dismal showing right on the heels of one of the King's greatest triumphs. RCA was antsy for a new studio album so they put out various odds and ends recorded 1971-72, somehow coming up with a tasteful, even subtle, melancholy folk pop album. The only thing it lacked was the "I'm Leavin" single from 1971, a situation easily remedied by modern technology.                                                     
« Last Edit: April 08, 2014, 06:00:12 PM by Moon Dawg » Logged
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 07, 2014, 10:43:43 PM »

I really liked Be Here Now by Oasis.  I was really excited when it came out and my friends and I had it on all the time everywhere we went. 
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 07, 2014, 10:46:34 PM »

Dammit I just realized I replied the same thing two years ago. 
zachrwolfe
« Reply #34 on: April 07, 2014, 10:51:48 PM »

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 08:18:21 PM by zatch » Logged
leggo of my ego
Smiley Smile Associate

Beach Boys Stomp

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 08, 2014, 06:49:30 AM »

Nazz - all three LPs: Nazz, Nazz Nazz & Nazz III

love em!

Hey Little Tomboy is creepy. Banging women by the pool is fun and conjures up warm summer thoughts a Beach Boys song should.

Necessity knows no law
A bootlegger knows no law
Therefore: A bootlegger is a necessity
Loaf
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 08, 2014, 08:19:09 AM »

Kula Shaker, Peasants, Pigs and Astronauts.

Terrible title, great music.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 08, 2014, 10:02:10 AM »

Well I know it's confusing how some albums are considered the worst but some still have gems and some people like them (not everybody have to agree)
What album that is considered crap/flop do you actually like/enjoy?

The Rolling Stones - Their Satanic Majesties Request (Sgt. Peppers? psh my ass this was something totally different and way better.)

I also consider it to be the great psychedelic album! My faves are See What Happens (!!!), 2000 Light Years From Home, She's a Rainbow, Gomper. Others I like as well. All in all, that was a very good attempt at making unconventional non-bluesy & non-r'n'b LP for The Rolling Stones.
Agreed on TSMR. There are some wonderful tracks on there, with Brian Jones much in evidence (although it seems he detested the album). Standout tracks for me? "Citadel" kicks ass and "2000 Light Years From Home" is seriously scary. Wonderful stuff.

I'm assuming "huge flop" is meant comparatively. Comparatively huge flops i enjoy (and that have not been mentioned yet) include stuff from Gary Numan's middle period (eg Metal Rhythm), Lou Reed's Metal Machine Music, The Beta Band's self-named debut (even they hated it!) and U2 's October.

Speaking of U2, their "No Line on the Horizon" from 09 or something was received pretty poorly IIRC but I've always liked it. Breathe and Magnificent stick out in memory as being favourites.
Agreed, oh yes. No falling-off in creativity there. i first heard "Magnificent" in---of all places----a French supermarket. (That was after it had been released as a single.) Made my holiday, it did. :=)   

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx