gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680713 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 16, 2024, 09:21:40 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Genius of Mike Love  (Read 31524 times)
Jason
« Reply #200 on: June 14, 2012, 04:05:45 PM »

This board weathered the McCabes and the McShanes of the bluebored. It will weather the psuedo-revisionists on here now. Stay strong, Erik and Mike!
MBE
« Reply #201 on: June 14, 2012, 04:16:07 PM »

This board weathered the McCabes and the McShanes of the bluebored. It will weather the psuedo-revisionists on here now. Stay strong, Erik and Mike!

I'm back for good. Just needed a quick breather!
Danimalist
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #202 on: June 14, 2012, 04:26:16 PM »

Ha! Who is doing the revising here? Somebody needs to revise the revisionists. I, for one, am an anti-revisionary!  Unfortunately, that requires engaging in revisionism.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2012, 04:28:58 PM by Danimalist » Logged
Danimalist
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #203 on: June 15, 2012, 11:45:59 AM »

More proof of Mike's genius for the non-believers:
"It was the best of times, the worst of times, an age of reason with a rage for rhymes"

Who else could have come up with such a brilliant intro? "It was the best of times, the worst of times" doesn't that sum up the 1960s in fewer words than any other lyricist could do?

What a brilliant line!

And it could be applied to so many other eras...World War II...the Victorian era, hell, even the French Revolution.

And the background vocals whispering: "It was the spring of hope, winter of despair"

The man is a genius. Just admit it and then you can go back to hearing about crows repeatedly circling crops.
Nicko1234
« Reply #204 on: June 15, 2012, 03:09:15 PM »

"It was the best of times, the worst of times, an age of reason with a rage for rhymes"

Mike didn`t write that song though...
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #205 on: June 15, 2012, 03:17:48 PM »

I just looked up that album. How come Mike didn't write any of the lyrics (except on one song)?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Looking_Back_with_Love
Wah Wah Wah Ooooo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #206 on: June 15, 2012, 03:26:58 PM »

I just looked up that album. How come Mike didn't write any of the lyrics (except on one song)?

He was too focused on the brilliant music....

"I'm in a band. We're called the Beach Boys." ~ Brian Wilson
Danimalist
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #207 on: June 15, 2012, 03:31:34 PM »

Crap! You mean to tell me that he's not a genius? Well, OK, so he did cowrite one song on his only released solo album; that clearly displays his confidence in his own songwriting abilities (or perhaps overconfidence in his singing abilities). But that one song, like the one I mentioned above, displays a clever play on a great literary work, turning a dreary, overly complicated, unbearably long "masterpiece" into a simple, beautiful sentiment, as only Mike can do. "Paradise Found": Milton only wishes he could have come up with something so epic!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #208 on: June 15, 2012, 03:38:16 PM »

Mike Love is no genius, he is just a hard working dude.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Danimalist
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #209 on: June 15, 2012, 03:42:44 PM »

Yes, he works really hard at self-promotion. Bruce and David are excellent disciples.
Nicko1234
« Reply #210 on: June 15, 2012, 03:52:58 PM »

A shame really that they didn`t re-record some of the First Love songs.

If you were to take the best of the LBWL songs (One Good Reason, On and On and On, Calendar Girl, Teach me Tonight, Paradise Found) and combine them with the best of First Love (Daybreak, You`re Looking Better, Viggie, First Love etc.) then it could have been a genuinely very good album.
Danimalist
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #211 on: June 15, 2012, 04:26:57 PM »

A shame really that they didn`t re-record some of the First Love songs.

If you were to take the best of the LBWL songs (One Good Reason, On and On and On, Calendar Girl, Teach me Tonight, Paradise Found) and combine them with the best of First Love (Daybreak, You`re Looking Better, Viggie, First Love etc.) then it could have been a genuinely very good album.

Yes, that would have been an awesome album! I bet those covers have never been sung better.
Nicko1234
« Reply #212 on: June 15, 2012, 04:29:38 PM »

Yes, that would have been an awesome album! I bet those covers have never been sung better.

Cheesy

Diddums wants some attention does he? Not getting enough love at home? Or psychosexual problems perhaps?  Wink
Danimalist
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #213 on: June 15, 2012, 06:56:51 PM »

Cheesy

Diddums wants some attention does he? Not getting enough love at home? Or psychosexual problems perhaps?  Wink

If you call needing to have "Country Pie" as background music in order to get it up a pyschosexual problem, guilty as charged! My wife calls it getting twice the Love!
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #214 on: June 15, 2012, 07:55:09 PM »

OK, I cave in... aside from voicing a few inconsequential concerns regarding Pet Sounds and Smile, Mike Love was great and THE most important Beach Boy.
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #215 on: June 16, 2012, 12:10:42 PM »

Mike's done a lot over the years for fans to have something against him:  The Hall of Fame speech, the resistance to Smile and Pet Sounds, Summer In Paradise, the lawsuits, etc.  But his attitude on surrounding this reunion put it all in the distant past to me.  I'm loving the setlists and I'm loving the renewed camaraderie he and Brian seem to have.  

But then I started seeing his comments about the second half of the new album!  Brian gives us what I think is easily some of his best and best RECEIVED material in SEVERAL DECADES and even throws Mike a few bones (lyrics, plus one of his older songs) and Mike knocks this stuff too, talking about how depressing it is.  Wake up, Mike!  "Spring Vacation" is a fine song but the other two songs you contributed to are almost unanimously named as the weakest tracks on the album.  Pretty much everyone likes the stuff you're knocking.  Let it go.  Stick to running the show on stage and keep your trap shut about Brian's new songs.  

MY "demands" for the next Beach Boys' album?  More of the same.  Brian makes the album he wants and tells Mike what and where to contribute and where to sing.  I personally LOVE that Brian had Jeff involved in the album before he even told Mike about it!  That way, Brian held the cards and all Mike could do was say yes or kill the project everyone wanted.  But knowing Mike's past, he's probably planning to leverage himself into a more democratic set up next time and I for one, hope it doesn't happen.  

Both guys have their strengths.  Mike should stick to being a singer and a showman and stop trying to force his seemingly outdated opinions on Brian and the fans.

...Just my two cents.

What were Mike's comments regarding the closing TWGMLR suite i.e. what is, by some considerable distance, the best thing on the entire album? Honestly, did he really say it was depressing? Is he really so completely and utterly detached from the views and feelings of those (like us) who love the band? Has he not learned anything by now? Hey Mike, remember how much you disliked Til I Die? You know, that song that's now considered a masterpiece and one of the band's finest moments? Well, you've got it wrong again. Christ, if it was left to him we'd have an entire album of Beaches In Mind's. I'd really appreciate if someone could print a direct quote re his remarks, thanks.

Also, i really, really hope their is not another BB album!! History tells us absolutely that they will blow it, so let's just end it on a high, right? That closing suite is a perfect career finale, as is the tour. It'd be great if, for once, they didn't f*** it up and did the right thing and ended on a positive note.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2012, 12:14:34 PM by Disney Boy (1985) » Logged
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #216 on: June 16, 2012, 12:17:08 PM »

Mike's done a lot over the years for fans to have something against him:  The Hall of Fame speech, the resistance to Smile and Pet Sounds, Summer In Paradise, the lawsuits, etc.  But his attitude on surrounding this reunion put it all in the distant past to me.  I'm loving the setlists and I'm loving the renewed camaraderie he and Brian seem to have. 

But then I started seeing his comments about the second half of the new album!  Brian gives us what I think is easily some of his best and best RECEIVED material in SEVERAL DECADES and even throws Mike a few bones (lyrics, plus one of his older songs) and Mike knocks this stuff too, talking about how depressing it is.  Wake up, Mike!  "Spring Vacation" is a fine song but the other two songs you contributed to are almost unanimously named as the weakest tracks on the album.  Pretty much everyone likes the stuff you're knocking.  Let it go.  Stick to running the show on stage and keep your trap shut about Brian's new songs. 

MY "demands" for the next Beach Boys' album?  More of the same.  Brian makes the album he wants and tells Mike what and where to contribute and where to sing.  I personally LOVE that Brian had Jeff involved in the album before he even told Mike about it!  That way, Brian held the cards and all Mike could do was say yes or kill the project everyone wanted.  But knowing Mike's past, he's probably planning to leverage himself into a more democratic set up next time and I for one, hope it doesn't happen. 

Both guys have their strengths.  Mike should stick to being a singer and a showman and stop trying to force his seemingly outdated opinions on Brian and the fans.

...Just my two cents.

What were Mike's comments regarding the closing TWGMLR suite i.e. what is, by some considerable distance, the best thing on the entire album? Honestly, did he really say it was depressing? Is he really so completely and utterly detached from the views and feelings of those (like us) who love the band? Has he not learned anything by now? Hey Mike, remember how much you disliked Til I Die? You know, that song that's now considered a masterpiece and one of the band's finest moments? Well, you've got it wrong again. Christ, if it was left to him we'd have an entire album of Beaches In Mind's. I'd really appreciate if someone could print a direct quote re his remarks, thanks.

Also, i really, really hope their is not another BB album!! History tells us absolutely that they will blow it, so let's just end it on a high, right? That closing suite is a perfect career finale, as is the tour. It'd be great if, for once, they didn't f*** it up and did the right thing and ended on a positive note.
TWGMTR is a very good album, but a new album could be better. We won't know unless they try.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.