gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:29:38 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Genius of Mike Love  (Read 31271 times)
Danimalist
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: June 13, 2012, 01:10:04 PM »

I could totally see Mike hosting something like "Family Feud".

He does, Aegir.
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: June 13, 2012, 01:25:10 PM »

In many ways, Mike is Dick Cavett without the Ivy League education.
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #177 on: June 13, 2012, 02:13:32 PM »

In many ways, Mike is Dick Cavett without the Ivy League education.

Mike and Dick  Cavett did look a little alike in younger days. If Mike had used toupees instead of hats to cover the hairline. It's that generic old-school clean cut type TV host look. 

Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #178 on: June 13, 2012, 02:15:34 PM »

Now that I think about it, Cavett looks like Mike Love and Al Jardine's love child. Yike!
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: June 13, 2012, 04:30:25 PM »

OK, I lied and am back.

I just want to ask once again, because it's never been answered......

..... Just what makes Mike Love any different than any of the other grand assholes in rock (particularly frontmen)?

Keith Richards wrote in his bio that Mick has a small penis!!!! He refers to him publicly as "Brenda" and has talked endless merda about his solo albums. Both him and Mick systematically destroyed Brian Jones (have admittedly) taken credit for songs that other members of their band have either written or were the genesis of. Brian Jones was a confirmed woman beater. Bill Wyman brags about how many groupies he's slept with. Keith Moon was a wife beater and actually ran an elderly man over (killing him) with his car. McCartney pinned Denny Laine down on the floor back stage once and held a knife to his throat. Dennis had sex with underage girls and married his own cousin's daughter. Elvis threw a pool cue at a woman's chest seriously injuring her. He cheated on his wife left and right.... The Who and The Kinks have beat the hell out of each other countless times. George Harrison has sex with Ringo's wife and Clapton stole George's wife. Pink Floyd just decided not to pick up Syd one day for rehearsal. Roger Waters sued his former bandmates and talked endless merda on them for years and years and tried to take credit for everything. Same with Fogerty. I could go on and on..... But  we all love these guys and forgive them for anything everything but Mike's been called to task for 50 years for what?

Being bald is the only thing I can think of that makes him guilty forever on all charges.....
« Last Edit: June 13, 2012, 04:36:23 PM by Erik H » Logged
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #180 on: June 13, 2012, 04:34:11 PM »

OK, I lied and am back.

..... Just what makes Mike Love any different than any of the other grand assholes in rock (particularly frontmen)?

Keith Richards wrote in his bio that Mick has a small penis!!!! He refers to him publicly as "Brenda" and has talked endless merda about his solo albums. Both him and Mick systematically destroyed Brian Jones (have admittedly) taken credit for songs that other members of their band have either written or were the genesis of. Brian Jones was a confirmed woman beater. Bill Wyman brags about how many groupies he's slept with. Keith Moon was a wife beater and actually ran an elderly man over (killing him) with his car. McCartney pinned Denny Laine down on the floor back stage once and held a knife to his throat. Dennis had sex with underage girls and married his own cousin's son. Elvis threw a pool cue at a woman's chest seriously injuring her. He cheated on his wife left and right.... I could go on and on..... But  we all love these guys and forgive them for anything everything but Mike's been called to task for 50 years for what?

Being bald is the only thing I can think of that makes him guilty forever on all charges.....
Welcome back! Grin I guess its because Mike's public persona pisses people off sometimes and they want to find dirt on the man. Whoa on the McCartney story.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #181 on: June 13, 2012, 04:41:07 PM »

McCartney pinned Denny Laine down on the floor back stage once and held a knife to his throat.

Dang. Never heard that one. Any online sources? (Google search doesn't yield any results from what I see)
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #182 on: June 13, 2012, 04:43:00 PM »

Hey guys! Did you know that Paul McCartney also said that God Only Knows was his favorite song of all time? You may not know that and this seemed like a good time to point it out.

(ducks)
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #183 on: June 13, 2012, 04:45:27 PM »

I think it's because Mike Love looks and talks like a square.  Rock fans don't like squares.  People also expect people who talk against using drugs and do seem so square to be better behaved than people who aren't.  No one really expects obvious messed up guys like Jimmy Page or Keith Richards to be squeaky clean.  Mike was not only clean cut looking but he looked older than the other guys even before he started losing his hair.  Mike always looked like more like the teacher or chaperone instead of one of the kids.  
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #184 on: June 13, 2012, 04:58:21 PM »

Those are all good points!

Can obsessiveness with TM and bad clothes count as drug addiction?
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #185 on: June 13, 2012, 05:07:26 PM »

But  we all love these guys and forgive them for anything everything but Mike's been called to task for 50 years for what?
I think it's because those that dislike Mike feel like he messed with Brian's creativity during Pet Sounds & Smile (and even during the writing of songs like "Til I Die") and pigeonholed Brian in later years with the "fun in the sun" image he relentlessly pursued.  A lot of the stuff you mentioned regarding those other musicians related more directly to their personal lives than the artistic output of their respective bands. Believe it or not, there are people out there that hate Pink Floyd for dropping Syd Barrett and the Rolling Stones for mistreating Brian Jones, because that effected the creativity of those two artists. However, neither Barrett nor Jones ever reached the level of critical respect bestowed upon Brian, and that's probably the key difference.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #186 on: June 13, 2012, 05:12:00 PM »

But bands fight all the time nonstop about creative direction. And it wasn't like Mike put up some solid and endless opposition. All we really hear regarding Mike in this situation is the beginning of a conversation. Brian more of less got his way all the time (as if should have been, mind you). What we don't hear about is when Brian made his case and Mike either went "Oh, OK" or just shut up and sang.

Also, I think Brian might have messed up his own creativity more than any other figure in rock!
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #187 on: June 13, 2012, 05:24:09 PM »

Yeah, but it's like... we know The Beatles had creative differences, but it never resulted in something like MIU, with Ringo taking the band to Iowa and forcing John and Paul  to record easy listening, nostalgic stuff. Same thing with all those other bands. They never had such a strong challenge to their identity from within. Maybe Pink Floyd did eventually, but it was after the fact, once we'd already gotten the classic stuff. The fact that the world never got Smile is probably where a lot of the hate came from. And it is unfair to put so much of the blame on Mike for Smile's collapse. At the same time, though, it's hard to see how his behavior during Smile would endear him to fans of the material.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #188 on: June 13, 2012, 05:46:40 PM »

Hmmmm, I dunno. We got "The Long & Winding Road", "Ballad Of John N Yoko" (GREAT song but there's no George or Ringo) "Maxwell's Silver Hammer", "Honey Pie", but we didn't get "Not Guilty" or a boatload of great stuff that ended up on All Things Must Pass..... and MIU came well after the classic stuff, I'd say.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2012, 05:48:44 PM by Erik H » Logged
Jonathan Blum
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #189 on: June 14, 2012, 01:11:23 AM »

Dang. Never heard that one. Any online sources? (Google search doesn't yield any results from what I see)

Sounds like a distorted version of McCartney throwing Jimmy McCulloch to the floor backstage and punching him one time when McCulloch refused to go back out for the second encore.  (From Geoffrey Giuliano's book.)  No knife, though.  And I think that incident probably says more about McCulloch's notorious temper than Paul's, though!

Cheers,
Jon Blum
MBE
« Reply #190 on: June 14, 2012, 09:32:50 AM »

Hi Mike,

Hope I wasn't responsible for your desire to take a break. Like I said from the start, it is impossible to find fault with your fair-minded and objective assessment of the band and I just wanted to share my take on one small piece of what you wrote, more to engage with it than to try to aggressively undermine it. Hope there are no bad feelings.
None at all.
MBE
« Reply #191 on: June 14, 2012, 09:40:38 AM »

Mike Eder says that maybe some ex-wives or girlfriends with an ax to grind tattled on Mike Love.  If he ever did hit any of his ex-wives or kids, it's no excuse that it just came out because they had a grudge against him.  I don't blame any exes at all for telling the truth about that. I've known women who were victims of that and the passage of time doesn't make it hurt less and it also affects a woman's future trust of men.  I hope Mike Love has turned a page since those years ago and his latest wife would never put up with anything like that and it never happened to any of his wives or girlfriends since.  It still makes me think less of him for doing that even in the past though because there are many men who never have and never would treat a woman that way in their entire lives.
Didn't say it's an excuse, what I am saying is that it's hard to know if any source with an axe to grind is telling the truth. Many major rock stars of the era have been accused of this in print, it's just hard to know unless you get them to talk about themselves. Many do come clean with behavior they regret with the passage of time. Myself if I ever interviewed Mike I would rather focus on the studio and stage. If it came up and he wanted to make a statement about it I would not stop him, but my book is about the music and history of the band. The personal lives are there insofar as they influenced their work. but it's more of a historical case for the band and their work then a deep personal probe. Why? Because I am a music oriented writer and that's all I feel interested in talking about, I'd make more money the other way but who would trust me or want to talk to me? I wouldn't sleep easy at night about it.
Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

Son, don't wait till the break of day....

View Profile
« Reply #192 on: June 14, 2012, 09:46:57 AM »

Mike Eder, just FYI

I always enjoy your posts a whole heckuva a lot, and if you do take a break, I hope it's a short one!

Son, don't wait till the break of day 'cause you know how time fades away......
MBE
« Reply #193 on: June 14, 2012, 09:52:40 AM »

OK, I lied and am back.

Keith Richards wrote in his bio that Mick has a small penis!!!! He refers to him publicly as "Brenda" and has talked endless merda about his solo albums. Both him and Mick systematically destroyed Brian Jones (have admittedly) taken credit for songs that other members of their band have either written or were the genesis of. Brian Jones was a confirmed woman beater. Bill Wyman brags about how many groupies he's slept with. Keith Moon was a wife beater and actually ran an elderly man over (killing him) with his car. McCartney pinned Denny Laine down on the floor back stage once and held a knife to his throat. Dennis had sex with underage girls and married his own cousin's daughter. Elvis threw a pool cue at a woman's chest seriously injuring her. He cheated on his wife left and right.... The Who and The Kinks have beat the hell out of each other countless times. George Harrison has sex with Ringo's wife and Clapton stole George's wife. Pink Floyd just decided not to pick up Syd one day for rehearsal. Roger Waters sued his former bandmates and talked endless merda on them for years and years and tried to take credit for everything. Same with Fogerty. I could go on and on..... But  we all love these guys and forgive them for anything everything but Mike's been called to task for 50 years for what?

Keith and Mick hit women too according to the books. Keith Moon ran a man around his age over when being chased by skinheads. Actually it was his friend and driver Neil Boland and some say that's why Keith changed so much in the seventies and ended up dead. Again the point I am trying to make is that while not all of us have been violent, all of us do things in life that aren't anything to be proud of that our friends and family let go. I don't have to answer for fighting with my step brother 15 years ago but Ray Davies does for fights that took place 40 years ago. I think one needs to take great care in deciding what to report. In their case the stuff that you can verify about the Beach Boys is sometimes far more interesting than who slept with who.
Breaks over heysboda and thanks for the kind words. Just needed a few days to rest.
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #194 on: June 14, 2012, 12:02:43 PM »

Mike Eder says that maybe some ex-wives or girlfriends with an ax to grind tattled on Mike Love.  If he ever did hit any of his ex-wives or kids, it's no excuse that it just came out because they had a grudge against him.  I don't blame any exes at all for telling the truth about that. I've known women who were victims of that and the passage of time doesn't make it hurt less and it also affects a woman's future trust of men.  I hope Mike Love has turned a page since those years ago and his latest wife would never put up with anything like that and it never happened to any of his wives or girlfriends since.  It still makes me think less of him for doing that even in the past though because there are many men who never have and never would treat a woman that way in their entire lives.
Didn't say it's an excuse, what I am saying is that it's hard to know if any source with an axe to grind is telling the truth. Many major rock stars of the era have been accused of this in print, it's just hard to know unless you get them to talk about themselves. Many do come clean with behavior they regret with the passage of time. Myself if I ever interviewed Mike I would rather focus on the studio and stage. If it came up and he wanted to make a statement about it I would not stop him, but my book is about the music and history of the band. The personal lives are there insofar as they influenced their work. but it's more of a historical case for the band and their work then a deep personal probe. Why? Because I am a music oriented writer and that's all I feel interested in talking about, I'd make more money the other way but who would trust me or want to talk to me? I wouldn't sleep easy at night about it.

I see what you're saying about avoiding too much personal stuff in interviews. People would take Steven Gaines' book more seriously if he didn't get into the mud so much.  It is a book he did a lot of research and hard work on but he put the emphasis in the wrong place too often.  I'm sure people who were interviewed for that book regret saying some of the things they told him.
Danimalist
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #195 on: June 14, 2012, 12:53:22 PM »

Smileysmile.net is a virtual Hotel California: You can check out any time you like, but you can never leave...
MBE
« Reply #196 on: June 14, 2012, 01:39:26 PM »

I see what you're saying about avoiding too much personal stuff in interviews. People would take Steven Gaines' book more seriously if he didn't get into the mud so much.  It is a book he did a lot of research and hard work on but he put the emphasis in the wrong place too often.  I'm sure people who were interviewed for that book regret saying some of the things they told him.
Right, I mean I don't know them on a deep level where I feel I could ask certain things. Gaines probably has some great interview tapes with solid info. However because of the tone, and getting so much of the music stuff wrong, the entire book has to be used very carefully for research. He did a lot of hard work, and there are many things in there I was able to build on and confirm, however the worst of the worst mostly didn't check out. Todd Gold is the only source I use next to nothing. I only used I think one sentence of the whole book and that's only because it was "Brian" on an album saying thoughts he had said less succinctly elsewhere. Even when I use it I make sure to say that it's only because I could confirm it was his basic feelings. I think that book has done more to spread false info than anything. Even Steven McParland uses it in his new Beach Boys tome which lessens it quite a bit.
onkster
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #197 on: June 14, 2012, 02:27:03 PM »

Sounds like a distorted version of McCartney throwing Jimmy McCulloch to the floor backstage and punching him one time when McCulloch refused to go back out for the second encore.  (From Geoffrey Giuliano's book.)  No knife, though.  And I think that incident probably says more about McCulloch's notorious temper than Paul's, though!

Cheers,
Jon Blum

Side point: I would trust Guiliano about as much as Albert Goldman. Cut from similar faux-leather.
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #198 on: June 14, 2012, 03:28:57 PM »

Gaines' book is incredibly readable and provided a needed glimpse that suited the times. Worth the price of admission for the Frost tape alone and the intriguing glimpses into Dennis' life.

There's room for a million books and viewpoints, so hurry up and get more out! I've been rereading Paul Williams' book and... man, it'd have been nice to have read what Paul thought of the reunion and new album. I sure miss reading him rave about the Beach Boys and Philip K Dick!

« Last Edit: June 14, 2012, 03:33:43 PM by ontor pertawst » Logged
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #199 on: June 14, 2012, 03:44:47 PM »

Cheers,
Jon Blum

Side point: I would trust Guiliano about as much as Albert Goldman. Cut from similar faux-leather.

Yeah, I was just rattling those off the top of my head in a mad frenzy! I do think the Denny Laine knife incident happened in some form or another. I'll try to remember where I got that from.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx