gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 10:36:02 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The re-recording of "She Believes In Love Again"  (Read 9375 times)
Funky Pity
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« on: June 08, 2012, 01:43:00 PM »

1. I Wonder if the re-recording of "She Believes In Love Again (from BB 1985) was the only Johnston track considered for TWGMTR?

2. Why in the first place re-record it?
(Does Bruce think that the song deserves a second chance?) 

3. No other unreleased Johnston-songs in the vaults?

Source:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/She_Believes_in_Love_Again
MaxL
Smiley Smile Associate

"It's a damn shame"

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2012, 01:51:02 PM »

Wikipedia's not the best source. To prove that it was actually me that added the part about the re-recording to the article based on an interview that was posted on this forum - a quick search should bring it up. Btw this is the second or third time this has happened in the past week LOL

I'm also curious as to why that was his contribution and I'm also curious to hear it.
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2012, 01:54:13 PM »

maybe he added a rap or techno beat to it with alot of autotune for the dance clubs... Grin LOL
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2012, 01:58:49 PM »

Nah, he said this version was a "stripped down" version.
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2012, 02:32:51 PM »

Nah, he said this version was a "stripped down" version.
so he recorded it while naked??? Shocked
Funky Pity
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2012, 02:36:40 PM »

The Dance club version:  She believes in Pipelines again!? Afro
In fact I heard a short sample of the new stripped version in a radio interview a few weeks ago. But I can't remember which station...
« Last Edit: June 08, 2012, 02:37:46 PM by Funky Pity » Logged
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2012, 03:23:56 PM »

1. I Wonder if the re-recording of "She Believes In Love Again (from BB 1985) was the only Johnston track considered for TWGMTR?

2. Why in the first place re-record it?
(Does Bruce think that the song deserves a second chance?) 

3. No other unreleased Johnston-songs in the vaults?

Source:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/She_Believes_in_Love_Again

1. Probably, or he (Bruce) would've blurted it out in some interview.

2. Maybe the issue of Carl's vocal and Levine's production comes into play.

3. The best question.... Bruce has always referred to himself as a songwriter first. I assume, as a songwriter with the resources to record demos at any time, he would have several songs in the can. And, keep in mind he has been writing songs for 50 years! I really thought he would have one ace in his hand and it would've been played on this album.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2012, 03:37:26 PM »

I kind of get the feeling that Brian was as Mike puts it, the "Stalin of the Studio" and they were afraid to push too much for anything to be included (Sans Al, who got the cold shoulder).  So maybe there wasn't enough time or enough of a good aura for Bruce to pull out something from the cobwebs. 

Although, you'd have to imagine if Bruce had anything good up his sleeve, he would have pitched it to Mike by now. 
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2012, 03:40:41 PM »

Yeah, I guess Bruce will always be "the new guy". However, other than Mike, Bruce has served more years as an active Beach Boy than any of 'em.
Funky Pity
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2012, 04:36:14 PM »

What ever happened to "Going Private"?
I think there must be a bunch of unreleased gems from those sessions.
I found this interview from 1990:

http://troun.tripod.com/bruce.html
Jason
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2012, 04:51:43 PM »

Actually, there were only two Going Private tracks recorded - Let's Visit Heaven Tonight and If There Were Time. The former is typical half-disco that Bruce loved during that period, and the latter is the typical Bruce ballad. Neither are bad...they're just THERE.
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2012, 07:29:20 PM »

I'm gonna wage a guess and say that yes, "She Believes in Love Again" was the only thing Bruce offered up at the sessions. I wonder if Brian produced it? That might be interesting. I don't know why he chose to re-do this one, but I'm guessing he really just thought it was "too '80s" but still thought it was a good song, so he decided to re-record it.

Bruce has always referred to himself as a songwriter first. I assume, as a songwriter with the resources to record demos at any time, he would have several songs in the can. And, keep in mind he has been writing songs for 50 years! I really thought he would have one ace in his hand and it would've been played on this album.

I think it's safe to say that Bruce has pretty much been skating by just doing the live shows since he rejoined The Beach Boys. Yes, he's done a few things here and there with other people, and contributed a few songs to the band ("She Believes in Love Again", "Happy Endings", "Slow Summer Dancing", etc.), but overall he does seem to really have a contented feeling regarding his work. I think he's happier watching Faux News and counting his capitol gains then being creative.

But regardless, he DOES have a few songs that he possibly could have used, that haven't been released as Bruce Johnston or Beach Boys songs. From 1978, he had "If There Were Time" and "Heaven Tonight", which I'm pretty sure were both done by Captain and Tennille. More recently, he had "The Way I Dreamed It" and "My Heart" on Doris Day's new album. Keep in mind, these are recordings from the 1980s, I'm pretty sure. But in the Bruce scheme of things, these are "new". Probably the newest tunes he's written, besides maybe "Slow Summer Dancin'". Maybe he's done stuff since then, but how are any of us to know. I don't find Bruce to be particularly likeable or anything, but I would be interested to hear more of his stuff, and I wish he would do another solo album or at the least contribute a song to the next Beach Boys album.

Actually, there were only two Going Private tracks recorded - Let's Visit Heaven Tonight and If There Were Time. The former is typical half-disco that Bruce loved during that period, and the latter is the typical Bruce ballad. Neither are bad...they're just THERE.

Actually I'm pretty sure there was nothing recording for Goin' Private. He was supposed to do that stuff in the early '90s. He talked about all that recording gear, but I'm pretty sure he remarked on The Beach Boys Britain board that he never actually did much of anything. And I'm pretty sure "Let's Visit Heaven Tonight" and "If There Were Time" were late '70s things.
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2012, 04:28:44 AM »

"Hey Bruce, have you written any new songs in the past 20 years or so that we could use for the new album?"
"No, not really. But I do have this really mediocre song that we already released on an album once, maybe we can just do that one again?"
"Uh, yeah, good idea Bruce. We'll think about it."
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2012, 07:58:43 AM »

Bruce said on the BBB board about ten years ago that he'd put together a CD of demos (and I got the impression that they were of new songs), but didn't want to do anything commercial with them, and that he was considering sending a few copies out to people who could then copy them for others and so on. Nothing ever came of it, but it suggests that he's still writing (or was then) but just not that interested in doing much with the songs.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
Christian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2012, 08:24:34 AM »

In fact I heard a short sample of the new stripped version in a radio interview a few weeks ago. But I can't remember which station...

http://www.apopdiary.com/?p=55

listen at 13:17
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2012, 09:41:36 AM »

http://www.apopdiary.com/?p=55

listen at 13:17
Muchas gracia
Funky Pity
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2012, 01:42:38 PM »

Yes, there it is! Thank you very much! Smiley I'm impressed.

Ok... but it sounds pretty similar to the original version (which I do not have any problem with in the first place.)
One of the top 5 best tracks on BB 85. Strong vocals from both Carl & Bruce
I wonder if there is a lack of confidence in his own songwriting now a days?
There must be better choices than to re-record a track from 85?!

In case you HAVE to re-record;
Why not "Don't Run Away (a Bruce & Terry track from 1964-65)"?  Wink
I Love that song.

Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2012, 03:57:00 PM »

I gotta admit I kinda like his more gritty "Bryan Adams" approach more on "She Believes in Love Again" better than his newer cleaner approach. But whatever. Bryan Adams sucks by the way.

But yeah, I won't lose any sleep if this version of this song never comes out. It was perfect for an iTunes bonus track, but alas, they didn't do that. However, if this gets on either the hits album or the box set I'm kinda not gonna be that happy because I'm sure there is better material out there than this.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2012, 04:26:51 PM »

The interview seems to be a few years old. Is this really the recording that he was considering for the Beach Boys' new album ?

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2012, 04:31:53 PM »

The interview seems to be a few years old. Is this really the recording that he was considering for the Beach Boys' new album ?

Oh crap. You're right. That is interesting.
Jonathan Blum
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2012, 06:44:09 PM »

The interview's from 2009, so it's newer than a bunch of the tracks on the final album!  Probably it would have gotten the "Daybreak" treatment with extra overdubs.  But I suspect it would already have been built around the Carl part by that point, much like "Don't Fight The Sea"...

Cheers,
Jon Blum
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2012, 08:52:05 PM »

The interview's from 2009, so it's newer than a bunch of the tracks on the final album!  Probably it would have gotten the "Daybreak" treatment with extra overdubs.  But I suspect it would already have been built around the Carl part by that point, much like "Don't Fight The Sea"...

Cheers,
Jon Blum

I wonder who sings Carl's part on the new version? Brian? Or would these use the same Carl vocal, or maybe an alternate Carl vocal? Hmm. Maybe somebody "in the know" can tell us.
Jonathan Blum
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2012, 09:41:49 PM »

I thought Bruce said they were using the original Carl vocal, and just stripping down everything surrounding it...

Cheers,
Jon Blum
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2012, 10:28:15 PM »

I thought Bruce said they were using the original Carl vocal, and just stripping down everything surrounding it...

Cheers,
Jon Blum

I think that was the idear behind it. Bruce specifically talked about "stripping it down". Not opposed to some of those songs being given a more organic production job (as long as the originals are preserved), although I can see why it didn't make the new album.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
MBE
« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2012, 02:20:28 AM »

Don't Run Away would have been a far better song to get the full Beach Boys treatment. It wouldn't have topped the 1966 version perhaps, but it's one of Bruce's best songs and as Mike helped write the track it would have been a great Bruce moment. SBILA is pathetic next to that. I like it best of anything Bruce ever did.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx