gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680821 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 01:59:42 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The re-recording of "She Believes In Love Again"  (Read 9488 times)
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2012, 09:09:10 AM »

What ever happened to "Going Private"?
I think there must be a bunch of unreleased gems from those sessions.
I found this interview from 1990:

http://troun.tripod.com/bruce.html

I'd like to know more about this:

You've already done that once, with the "American Band" video.

I didn't think that was very good at all. I thought the home movies of the band driving though Hawaii were pretty superfluous. There's other stuff we could've used - thirty minutes of the band in Japan in 1966, stuff from "Ready, Steady, Go".

Shocked Shocked

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2012, 09:33:09 AM »

The interview seems to be a few years old. Is this really the recording that he was considering for the Beach Boys' new album ?

The interview's from 2009, so it's newer than a bunch of the tracks on the final album!  Probably it would have gotten the "Daybreak" treatment with extra overdubs.  But I suspect it would already have been built around the Carl part by that point, much like "Don't Fight The Sea"...

Cheers,
Jon Blum

I wonder who sings Carl's part on the new version? Brian? Or would these use the same Carl vocal, or maybe an alternate Carl vocal? Hmm. Maybe somebody "in the know" can tell us.

some time a few years ago, Bruce mentioned on the Beach Boys Britain board that he was rerecording She Believes in Love Again with Chris Farmer singing Carl's part. maybe Bruce just likes rerecording this song over and over again.

also, if you write songs it's impossible to go 20 years without writing a song. but that doesn't mean you think it should be given to the Beach Boys. I'm sure Mike, Bruce, Al and David all have tons of songs they play on an acoustic guitar at family parties and stuff, but aren't appropriate for the band / won't sell / et cetera.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2012, 09:48:49 AM »

I thought Bruce said they were using the original Carl vocal, and just stripping down everything surrounding it...

Cheers,
Jon Blum

This is absolutely one of the finest co-leads done together.  OMG.  Even, if you play the old LP, high on the bass, I find it an absolute "chest clutcher," with the orchestration pouring out of the speakers.  

Carl is magnificent, and with the two voices (Bruce's) and the harmony on the background, that it would be awesome on a newer release.  It could almost be analogyzed to Disney Girls, maybe in the less well-known sense; but, just the dreamy quality and background percussion is amazing.  One might  listen with headphones, for the full effect.  

Magnificent song.  

It seems that there will be another album...

Maybe a remake of Only With You, with Dennis' vocals and the guys blended in,  on harmony as in the tribute...The fans are ready for that, I think, from the response at these magnificent shows. POB version is magnificent as well.    

Ya, it is no reunion.  It is a re-birth!  Wink

They are on a roll!  Smiley
« Last Edit: June 11, 2012, 10:08:47 AM by filledeplage » Logged
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #28 on: June 11, 2012, 11:29:16 AM »

"Don't Run Away would have been a far better song to get the full Beach Boys treatment."

Absolutely gorgeous song.
Danimalist
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 11, 2012, 11:34:33 AM »

"Hey Bruce, have you written any new songs in the past 20 years or so that we could use for the new album?"
"No, not really. But I do have this really mediocre song that we already released on an album once, maybe we can just do that one again?"
"Uh, yeah, good idea Bruce. We'll think about it."

Shelter for the win.
Danimalist
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 11, 2012, 11:43:59 AM »

One of the top 5 best tracks on BB 85.

LOL

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: June 11, 2012, 11:44:43 AM »

"Hey Bruce, have you written any new songs in the past 20 years or so that we could use for the new album?"
"No, not really. But I do have this really mediocre song that we already released on an album once, maybe we can just do that one again?"

Shelter for the win.

I guess the deal for the album was from the beginning that it would be a Brian album like the early ones up to Pet Sounds. Mike got his song in there certainly because that was part of his deal with Brian.
If these assumptions are true I wonder how big the chances for Al, David and Bruce actually were to even get a song in there. One of David's songs was begun. We saw a short clip from the "She believes in love again"-sessions. Now, did they do any of Al's material ?

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #32 on: June 11, 2012, 11:50:21 AM »

"One of the top 5 best tracks on BB 85. "

Because it's a poor album
Funky Pity
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 11, 2012, 12:20:26 PM »

Ok, ha ha  Cheesy "She Believes In Love Again" And BB - 85 = Guilty Pleasures of mine!

But I agree with some other fans; I would prefer a remake of this song:

Don't Run Away:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NtDGXpfIoz8

I wonder how well known this song is among the fans?
« Last Edit: June 11, 2012, 02:14:24 PM by Funky Pity » Logged
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #34 on: June 11, 2012, 01:45:38 PM »

Haha fantastic! This here is the truth.
doc smiley
Smiley Smile Associate

Timeless pounds the livin' daylights outta trendy

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 11, 2012, 04:39:50 PM »

Another good Bruce and Terry song that would work well I think  is "Little Beach Girl"

only youtube version I can find is the Pat Boone version, but it gives you the idea...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_oKr7lPKQ0    Cheesy

"A voice or a song can be so comforting to someone who really needs it."
..................................Brian Wilson, 1990
Danimalist
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 12, 2012, 10:59:41 AM »

Another good Bruce and Terry song that would work well I think  is "Little Beach Girl"

only youtube version I can find is the Pat Boone version, but it gives you the idea...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_oKr7lPKQ0    Cheesy

Somewhere stashed away, I actually have this single. Not sure where I got it, but I bought it because of the writing/arranging credits. Pat was such a musical slut.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: June 12, 2012, 11:23:09 AM »

I guess the deal for the album was from the beginning that it would be a Brian album like the early ones up to Pet Sounds. Mike got his song in there certainly because that was part of his deal with Brian.
If these assumptions are true I wonder how big the chances for Al, David and Bruce actually were to even get a song in there. One of David's songs was begun. We saw a short clip from the "She believes in love again"-sessions. Now, did they do any of Al's material ?

I don't think anything was set in stone about the song selection. The new Rolling Stone article has at least some insight into this. It describes Al continuing to attempt to present "Waves of Love" to Brian and the group to work on, and Brian continually avoiding it both directly or indirectly. The article seems to read as though the author thinks it's a good song, but for some reason Brian doesn't want anything to do with it. It would have been interesting for them to delve a bit further to find out why. Did Brian just not like it too much? Did Carl's appearance on the recording weird him out? Was he aware it was already on Al's solo album?

The whole reunion power structure is interesting and hasn't been fully explored. This recent article got into it more than anybody has. It kind of strikes me that Al is purposely being a bit passive (both in terms of not pushing his stuff on the album or making the setlist politics more severe) just to make sure the whole thing doesn't devolve into too many disagreements. I mean, in some sense, he should have as much say as Brian and Mike in that they all own the BB name/Brother equally. It seems like Al isn't trying to assert too much power in all of this, and I have a feeling that while he's not literally holding this reunion together, we may owe a big thanks to Al for being passive and letting Brian and Mike and their camps do most of the jockeying.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 12, 2012, 11:24:04 AM »

also, if you write songs it's impossible to go 20 years without writing a song. but that doesn't mean you think it should be given to the Beach Boys. I'm sure Mike, Bruce, Al and David all have tons of songs they play on an acoustic guitar at family parties and stuff, but aren't appropriate for the band / won't sell / et cetera.

Impossible.
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 13, 2012, 01:36:06 AM »

If this was genuinely considered for the new album, I think it would've made a lovely addition and I can think of four or five BW songs I'd happily replace it with.

I was listening to the original in the car this morning and thinking that it's really a beautiful song. A pretty Bruce ballad would really have given the album a more classic 70s feel I think. Hell, the opener sounds like a Bruce tune - I don't know why people aren't more receptive to his stuff.

Imagine if they could use Carl's gorgeous vocal on the chorus too. That could've been stunning.

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 13, 2012, 07:37:10 AM »

Another Bruce Johnston bit: in 1994 he announced that he was going to host his own slow-dancing music radio show. Still waitin'.

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 13, 2012, 09:15:52 AM »

Another Bruce Johnston bit: in 1994 he announced that he was going to host his own slow-dancing music radio show. Still waitin'.

Has he got a vagina? i mean jeez, does he write/listen to anything other than slow-love-romantic-cheesy-ballads?
« Last Edit: June 13, 2012, 10:17:37 AM by Ziggy Stardust » Logged
Doo Dah
Smiley Smile Associate

One man's troll is another man's freedom fighter.

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 13, 2012, 09:41:54 AM »

Has he got a vagina? i mean jeez, does he write/listen to anything other than slow-lobe-romantic-cheesy-ballads?

That's funny! Sometimes I wish this board had a facebook 'like' button.
Hey don't be baggin' on Bruce. Did you know he won a grammy? It's true - just ask him!

AGD is gone.
AGD is gone.
Heigh ho the derry-o
AGD is gone
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #43 on: June 13, 2012, 10:31:44 AM »

Interesting he was taking way back about the Doris Day album which just came out last year...
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx