gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680751 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 06:46:48 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Back Home '63 on youtube  (Read 1904 times)
Jeff
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: June 12, 2012, 09:50:26 PM »

There's a version of Back Home on youtube that claims to be from '63 ... but it sounds suspiciously ... not.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqV2Xfvzli0

Can anyone confirm what this really is?  '63?  '76?  Some kind of mix?  I know that there was in fact recording done on the song in '63, but that sax just does not sound like that year...
Danimalist
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2012, 09:54:34 PM »

That's no '76 Brian vocal, that's for sure.
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2012, 09:55:30 PM »

LLLLLOVE THIS SONG. Any version. I do think this is the '63 version cause it's got that young-sounding Brian.

Definitely doesn't have that '76/'77 vibe: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JjiGnd-hk4

No mas, por favor.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2012, 09:56:03 PM »

Here's another vote for '63. It also doesn't sound like the 1970 version.
hapman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2012, 10:01:02 PM »

It's been available for many many years on unauthorized compilations (such as Dumb Angel Rarities Vol. 1). I believe it was recorded in June 63, on the same session as Runaround Lover. Therefore it wasn't a Beach Boys session (methinks).
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2012, 10:15:58 PM »

It's been available for many many years on unauthorized compilations (such as Dumb Angel Rarities Vol. 1). I believe it was recorded in June 63, on the same session as Runaround Lover. Therefore it wasn't a Beach Boys session (methinks).

That makes me wonder then. Is it a Beach Boys song? It sounds like the guys doing the background vocals. What was it intended for?

Anyways, I hope this makes it on the box set, because it's a great version of this song, and deserves a release.
hapman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2012, 10:25:06 PM »

That makes me wonder then. Is it a Beach Boys song? It sounds like the guys doing the background vocals. What was it intended for?

Anyways, I hope this makes it on the box set, because it's a great version of this song, and deserves a release.

It's definitely the Boys doing the bvs. Maybe the vocals were overdubbed on a later occasion - on a Surfer Girl session maybe?
« Last Edit: June 13, 2012, 06:37:02 AM by hapman » Logged
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2012, 11:32:56 PM »

Recorded June 14th 1963, when the rest of the band were in Hawaii on tour. Says so here, so it must be true.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2012, 10:42:24 AM »

sh*t.  That was quick.  Been removed already.  Perhaps it's on a boxset that's coming out...?
Jeff
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2012, 11:47:56 AM »

merda.  That was quick.  Been removed already.  Perhaps it's on a boxset that's coming out...?

Wow.  Sorry everyone.  It actually had been up for at least a year, I believe.  I guess Big Brother really is watching this board.  So, Big Brother, why don't you guys follow up by going after this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-x_FHj9yLo or this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2ol0QFeu8Y?

Oh, and could we please get released versions of Wouldn't It Be Nice to Live Again, Carry Me Home, Stevie and at least the 1970 version of Back Home?

Anyway, it's interesting that the message where the song used to be is that "[t]his video is no longer available due to a copyright claim by Brother Records Inc."  Is it possible for Brother Records to have the claim for a song from '63?
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx