gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680755 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 11:36:31 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Show 26: Cynthia Mitchell Woodlands Pavillion- Woodlands, TX 8 June 2012 (SETLI  (Read 47658 times)
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« on: June 08, 2012, 08:37:25 AM »

Going with the wife to the show tonight, lawn seats, hope the weather holds up.

Will try to take as many pics as possible.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
STE
Smiley Smile Associate

"I'm not on top like I used to be"

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2012, 10:52:52 AM »

And videos please!!

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2012, 12:25:27 PM »

I'll be in the lawn section, so any video would like the dots mentioned in the lyrics for 'Airplane'. I'll see what I can do...

How many of you guys are going?

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
NHC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2012, 01:35:27 PM »

Going with the wife to the show tonight, lawn seats, hope the weather holds up.

Will try to take as many pics as possible.

Lucky you.  We hope to be back in The Woodlands by November. Wonder if the boys will swing back by? Give us a good review, Billy.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2012, 01:36:25 PM »

Thunderstorms for tonight. sh*t. I hope the concert's not cut short, and I don't get sick.

baseball95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2012, 08:02:56 PM »

any update  Grin
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2012, 08:06:23 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lF_mclWPuhY&feature=youtu.be

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2012, 10:39:13 PM »

Oh my, that was wonderful, I was in row 8!!  The set list was the same as it has been lately, California saga instead of dreaming.  Brian was a little off, he missed a cue on kiss me baby and Jeff panicked for a second, no one in the crowd really noticed.  I think Brian just phased for a second because he waved after the song, almost like an apology.  I'll upload videos sometime tomorrow, I didn't take too many and my off key singing is all over them.  I'm at a days inn right now, so I can't upload  Grin

Vocally Brian was pretty rough on this whole world, but knocked ijwmftt out.  That was probably the surreal "wow what a moment" song.  Mike was fantastic, so was everybody. Happily, the crowd was perfection! After good vibrations there was a massive like five minue standing ovation.  I got complimented by the baby boomers behind me for knowing all the songs and bringing some energy  Grin
Mike gave us kudos for being a good crowd, Bruce bowed to us too loo.  Al kept smiling huge during the ovations.

Just amazing.  But yeah, Brian was up and down, he peaked in the middle tunes, clapping, snapping, smiling, but ran out of steam at the end
dumbangel76
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2012, 10:45:29 PM »

Well I just got in from the Woodlands performance! And, all I can say is I am completely blown away and drenched to the bone but, I would've had it no other way! What an incredible evening! We got into the Woodlands around 4pm under a dark sky! We got to meet up with some friends and headed over to the Pavilion. Which, I must say an amazing venue! We had a nice breeze and overcast skies! I was with my wife and two kids. My kids have been geeking out to the Beach boys for the last several weeks! The show started a little after 8, great pre-show music, several Chuck Berry songs, Creedence, Four Freshmen!  The setlist followed what has been performed at the last several venues. I will try to post the setlist later I am overwhelmed right now. The POWER of the harmonies tonight is what I keep going back to. I saw Brian during his Pet Sounds tour and was blown away at the amazing recreations his band did. I know that there are parts of that same band still but, my goodness those harmonies belong to the Beach Boys. I am not a big fan of Why Do fools Fall in Love but when that song kicked off it jolted me it was scarily good!! My wife who was a vocal major and is not the Beach Boys freak I am was blown away as well! Brian was in fine voice in my opinion very animated and smiling he seemed to be playing alot of piano. The only snafu came during Kiss Me Baby the words to the first verse must have been out of order on his teleprompter but he got back on. He totally NAILED the next song, what should be the next single Isnt It Time he sounded so good I could not detect any autotune at all and if there were I would not have cared!! Brian also delievered an amazing This Whole World as well all of his leads were very strong and powerful! Now, I will get to the drenched part the Boys were about to go into the tributes and I kid you not as they started into Forever it started sprinkling as they went into God Only Knows it picked up more. Such a spirtual moment I will never forget my daughter who is 8 leaning over to me and saying " Daddy, I think Dennis and Carl are crying from Heaven because they wish they could be here and cant but, they are also happy because they aren't fighting anymore" She is a very perceptible kid but, some times she blows me away!! The rains fell and as some fair weather fans left( We were out on the Lawn) We stuck it out and danced through the remainder of the show. It will be a moment I will never forget seeing my son literally jump for joy when they played 409 and Kokomo, hearing my daughter sing the Honeys parts on Be True To Your School! Being there with my family, when I first fell for the Beach Boys was during a very dark time in my life I was in my early 20's and trying to figure out what and who I was. I never in a million years thought I would be able to see my musical heroes all on one stage again. My eyes are welling up as I sit in our hotel room listening to TWGMTR and hearing my kids talk about what harmony line to sing. Thank you Brian Wilson, Mike Love, Al Jardine, David Marks(killer guitar breaks!), Bruce Johnston, and the guys in the band for making this night a once in a lifetime for me and my family! I will never forget this evening EVER!! God Bless you Beach Boys and may the good Lord take care and continue to heal the years of pain.....

P.s. I am sorry for the disjointed rambling nature I wanted to get my thoughts down!

P.s.s They were selling the new cd tonight for 5 bucks! They had 5000 cds with 50 of them containing the 5 Beach Boys autograph that won you a pass to a meet and greet after the show! Mike was really funny! He said they were in a battle with Adele and that he needed us to buy the disc to "Buy American" after all! I may have to pick up another disc for the cause!! Thank you all for your passion for the Beach Boys good night!!
dumbangel76
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2012, 10:47:03 PM »

Hey Runaways we may be at the same Days Inn!!! haha!
Les Chan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2012, 12:29:37 AM »

$ 5 for the new CD???   What a deal!!!!!
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2012, 01:28:02 AM »

Dumbangel...I think I was near you!

That's me....except I had a shirt with frogs on it today.

What a show...best concert ever. I saw Brian on 23 Oct 2004, but this blew that away.  Everyone was on top form. 'Disney Girls' was incredible...better than the studio version! Brian was ON IT...there were a couple of flubs, but nothing major. He missed his cue on Kiss me Baby as he was playing the keys and not looking at the teleprompter. In fact, during much of the show, he didn't look at it at all. You know how on the Knebworth DVD, he was really getting into 'Keepin the Summer Alive'? He was doing that much of the concert, just really grooving at the piano.  'Sail on Sailor' was spot on, and he had an elongated scream at the very end. Something good has happened with him...he no longer clips notes and his phrasing is like his younger self. He has also regained much of the smoothness he used to have in his voice, and there was no slurring at all. He even hit a falsetto at the very end of one song (can't remember which right now). He was audible on just about every song;he sang on the tag of 'Disney Girls' and even did a bit of freestyling during 'California Saga'.

Dave was...freaking incredible. He did a good job on 'Hawaii' vocally, and he was very audible in the harmonic blend throughout. His guitar playing was phenomenal; he sounded like Cream-era Clapton on many cuts.

Scott Totten did a great job on 'Ballad of Ole Betsy'.

Foskett sounded great tonight. Honestly, he sounded better here than he does on Brian's tours...MUCH better. I normally don't care for 'Don't Back Down', but tonight it was great.

'It's OK' had the slowed down version, but tonight had a bit of a different arrangement than in prior shows, almost funk-lite in parts.

This is as good a time as any to mention John Cowsill on drums. He sounds like a mixture of Dennis and Ricky. The ending to 'All This is That' had an extended instrumental section behind Foskett's falsetto, and Cowsill's playing gave it this silky groove that just elevated it to another level. There were times where he just beat the living sh*t out of the drums; it's like John Bonham was behind the kit.

« Last Edit: June 09, 2012, 01:30:36 AM by Billy C » Logged

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2012, 01:42:51 AM »

The crowd...was interesting. On my side of the lawn section was mainly older people; the other side were younger, and there were glowsticks aplenty. There was a lot of sitting down in my side; my wife wished we were on the other side with the glowsticks and beach balls. There was a young lesbian couple (looked like maybe 17-20 years old) in front of us though that were REALLY getting into the music, and invented a PG-13 dance for 'Marcella' that had me rolling.

There was a rather attractive twenty-something young woman to my left (on the other side of the walkway that led to the stairs) who was completely tatted out, giant dragon looking thing on her back, that REALLY got into 'Isn't it Time'. That song went over pretty well, except in the right hand side of the lawn (where I was at) who were quiet during most of the show, so little things like that really stood out.

The CDs sold out quickly...they were gone by intermission. The line was longer than long; I told the kid behind me (early teens) that it was longer than the disco version of 'Here Comes the Night'. Surprisingly, he got the joke, as he responded with a crack about monkeys. Smart kid.

Funny moment came towards the end. The older crowd started leaving when the rain started coming down harder, and when Kokomo came on, this buff  tatted out guy wearing a Godsmack shirt ran like hell down the hill singing along (with his voice bouncing up and down as he did LOL)

dumbangel76
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2012, 06:12:46 AM »

Dumbangel...I think I was near you!

That's me....except I had a shirt with frogs on it today.

What a show...best concert ever. I saw Brian on 23 Oct 2004, but this blew that away.  Everyone was on top form. 'Disney Girls' was incredible...better than the studio version! Brian was ON IT...there were a couple of flubs, but nothing major. He missed his cue on Kiss me Baby as he was playing the keys and not looking at the teleprompter. In fact, during much of the show, he didn't look at it at all. You know how on the Knebworth DVD, he was really getting into 'Keepin the Summer Alive'? He was doing that much of the concert, just really grooving at the piano.  'Sail on Sailor' was spot on, and he had an elongated scream at the very end. Something good has happened with him...he no longer clips notes and his phrasing is like his younger self. He has also regained much of the smoothness he used to have in his voice, and there was no slurring at all. He even hit a falsetto at the very end of one song (can't remember which right now). He was audible on just about every song;he sang on the tag of 'Disney Girls' and even did a bit of freestyling during 'California Saga'.

Dave was...freaking incredible. He did a good job on 'Hawaii' vocally, and he was very audible in the harmonic blend throughout. His guitar playing was phenomenal; he sounded like Cream-era Clapton on many cuts.

Scott Totten did a great job on 'Ballad of Ole Betsy'.

Foskett sounded great tonight. Honestly, he sounded better here than he does on Brian's tours...MUCH better. I normally don't care for 'Don't Back Down', but tonight it was great.

'It's OK' had the slowed down version, but tonight had a bit of a different arrangement than in prior shows, almost funk-lite in parts.

This is as good a time as any to mention John Cowsill on drums. He sounds like a mixture of Dennis and Ricky. The ending to 'All This is That' had an extended instrumental section behind Foskett's falsetto, and Cowsill's playing gave it this silky groove that just elevated it to another level. There were times where he just beat the living sh*t out of the drums; it's like John Bonham was behind the kit.

Billy,

I think I was near you as well!! Some excellent points you brought up! Brian was grooving along on the piano and the vocals! Sail on Sailor was powerful!! In My Room was also beautiful I could pick out the voices and Brian was hitting a smoothness in his upper register I didnt think he could do! Loved Darian's part on All This Is That! Scott Totten did an incredible performance on Ol' Betsy! And, John Cowsill is a beast on drums!! He has such a feel for the drums incredible!
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2012, 06:14:59 AM »

I spent way too much money at the merch stand.  WORTH IT.
dumbangel76
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2012, 06:15:07 AM »

The crowd...was interesting. On my side of the lawn section was mainly older people; the other side were younger, and there were glowsticks aplenty. There was a lot of sitting down in my side; my wife wished we were on the other side with the glowsticks and beach balls. There was a young lesbian couple (looked like maybe 17-20 years old) in front of us though that were REALLY getting into the music, and invented a PG-13 dance for 'Marcella' that had me rolling.

There was a rather attractive twenty-something young woman to my left (on the other side of the walkway that led to the stairs) who was completely tatted out, giant dragon looking thing on her back, that REALLY got into 'Isn't it Time'. That song went over pretty well, except in the right hand side of the lawn (where I was at) who were quiet during most of the show, so little things like that really stood out.

The CDs sold out quickly...they were gone by intermission. The line was longer than long; I told the kid behind me (early teens) that it was longer than the disco version of 'Here Comes the Night'. Surprisingly, he got the joke, as he responded with a crack about monkeys. Smart kid.

Funny moment came towards the end. The older crowd started leaving when the rain started coming down harder, and when Kokomo came on, this buff  tatted out guy wearing a Godsmack shirt ran like hell down the hill singing along (with his voice bouncing up and down as he did LOL)

I will also remember this 50 something guy who was skipping in the rain during Kokomo he was so excited and singing at the top of his voice!!
baseball95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2012, 08:09:16 AM »

Setlist:
Do It Again
Little Honda
Catch a Wave
Hawaii
Don't Back Down
Surfin' Safari
Surfer Girl
Please Let Me Wonder
Marcella
This Whole World
Disney Girls
Then I Kissed Her (The Crystals cover)
Kiss Me, Baby
Isn't It Time?
Why Do Fools Fall in Love (Frankie Lymon & The Teenagers cover)
When I Grow Up (to Be a Man)
Cotton Fields (Lead Belly cover)
It's OK
Be True to Your School
Ballad of Ole' Betsy
Don't Worry, Baby
Little Deuce Coupe
Shut Down
I Get Around

Set 2
Add Some Music to Your Day
California Saga: California
Sloop John B
Wouldn't It Be Nice
I Just Wasn't Made For These Times
Sail On Sailor
Heroes and Villains
In My Room
All This Is That
That's Why God Made the Radio
Forever
God Only Knows
Good Vibrations
California Girls
All Summer Long
Help Me Rhonda
Rock and Roll Music (Chuck Berry cover)
Do You Wanna Dance? (Bobby Freeman cover)
Surfin' USA

Encore:
Kokomo
Barbara Ann (The Regents cover)
 Fun, Fun, Fun
« Last Edit: June 09, 2012, 08:15:17 AM by baseball95 » Logged
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2012, 09:51:53 AM »

I spent way too much money at the merch stand.  WORTH IT.

Ahh you bastard I waited the entire intermission in that line LOL I was the dude singing 'Lines' in the Kermit the Frog voice.

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2012, 09:58:12 AM »

I tried to do a video, but couldn't get a good shot. I know some people around me filmed, but my falsetto probably ruined a few of them.

If someone find a YT link, post the sh*t out of that f*cker.

RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2012, 10:33:38 AM »

Great setlist...so thrilled to see "This Whole World", SO hope it sticks around for my concert, I didn't know it before the tour kicked off, then I listened to it, and it just totally changed my perspective of The Beach Boys.

I was surprised they didn't play anymore new songs...I'd like to hear "Shelter" live, in addition to the other two being played. They are definitely my three favs for a live setting, in the fashion they are doing.
petsite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2012, 01:13:17 PM »

I was there last night. I was in the pit, right up front. Went to the soundcheck, and afterwards the WONDERFUL Probyn handed my wife and I a couple of back stage passes. I also spent WAY WAY too much on merch, but its "THE BOYS", you know?

The concert exceeded my expectations. Wonderful , moving tributes to Dennis and Carl. Glad to see the crowd's reaction to that. And also for the entire crowd (not just us with the BB sickness Smiley ) reactions to the rare and new tracks. Truly a magic night. I had heard earlier in the day that Brian was having an "off day" so I was ready for it. And he was. But he is such a trooper. He worked hard at fighting those demons (once saw him during a slow song he wasn't singing close his eyes and was saying something I couldn't make out.).  And to hear Bruce just kick the sh*t out of Disney Girls was so special. All in all, a great night...............................except

I have a question for those in the know about the band (as I don't follow the rest of the group much). When did Bruce Johnston, the man who gave me a 2 hour interview in 1979 to help me out at work and another hour in 1981 and was SO SO SO kind, become such a prick. He came down to the backstage area after the show. I waited a bit and went up to him with my copy of pet sounds and asked him to sign it. The folks he was talking to were extremely nice and asked me how long I had been a fan, etc. As Bruce was signing the LP, I thanked him again for the interview all those years ago and how it helped me out at the radio station I worked at. He said "that was 23 years ago, no recent stories?" Taken aback I said thanks again for everything, told him I heard that new comp box-sets were coming out in the fall and I couldn't wait. He handed me back my LP and pen, and said "well, save your pennies for the box-set, you and I are through talking." Just then the kid of the guy to whom Bruce was talking said to me "did you know that Bruce produced LPs for the Beach Boys?" I said yes I did, LA and Keeping The Summer Alive. Told the kid I though Bruce tried the right thing with HCTN. Bruce turned to me and said "HEY, I SAID U AND I ARE THROUGH TALKING! SERIOUSLY!"

Now I can understand when u hang around someone forever and wont go away that you would get mad. It has happened to me. But I am talking about standing there for MAYBE 5 mins, probably less. I mean come on DUDE, who do you think pays their hard earned dollars to keep you and the guys in the style you have grown accustomed to? ALWAYS be nice to fans. Understandably, you will have the wackos who require a swift kick, but no someone who is just standing there saying a few kind words. It ruined the rest of my experience for me. And the fondness I always had for Bruce and the way he stands up for Brian's music. End Of Rant.

PS - Scott Totten and Probyn Gregory are 2 of the most wonderful guys you could ever ever meet. Scott didn't want to sign my PS copy because it was like signing a copy of the Bible for him. I told him no, it was my way of saying thanks for the music.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2012, 01:35:51 PM »

If that was an off day for Brian, I can only imagine how an 'on' day would be!

I've heard that Bruce can be a bit...umm...Jeckyl & Hyde, for lack of a better way to put it.

AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2012, 01:42:40 PM »

I've heard that Bruce can be a bit...umm...Jeckyl & Hyde, for lack of a better way to put it.

Yeah, Bruce can be both absolutely wonderful and incredibly rude to fans.
Without wanting to excuse the rudeness, I suspect he'll be more wary of talking to fans at the moment because of the Obama incident... I doubt anyone will get much time from him for a while.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2012, 02:15:58 PM »

I was there last night. I was in the pit, right up front. Went to the soundcheck, and afterwards the WONDERFUL Probyn handed my wife and I a couple of back stage passes. I also spent WAY WAY too much on merch, but its "THE BOYS", you know?

The concert exceeded my expectations. Wonderful , moving tributes to Dennis and Carl. Glad to see the crowd's reaction to that. And also for the entire crowd (not just us with the BB sickness Smiley ) reactions to the rare and new tracks. Truly a magic night. I had heard earlier in the day that Brian was having an "off day" so I was ready for it. And he was. But he is such a trooper. He worked hard at fighting those demons (once saw him during a slow song he wasn't singing close his eyes and was saying something I couldn't make out.).  And to hear Bruce just kick the sh*t out of Disney Girls was so special. All in all, a great night...............................except

I have a question for those in the know about the band (as I don't follow the rest of the group much). When did Bruce Johnston, the man who gave me a 2 hour interview in 1979 to help me out at work and another hour in 1981 and was SO SO SO kind, become such a prick. He came down to the backstage area after the show. I waited a bit and went up to him with my copy of pet sounds and asked him to sign it. The folks he was talking to were extremely nice and asked me how long I had been a fan, etc. As Bruce was signing the LP, I thanked him again for the interview all those years ago and how it helped me out at the radio station I worked at. He said "that was 23 years ago, no recent stories?" Taken aback I said thanks again for everything, told him I heard that new comp box-sets were coming out in the fall and I couldn't wait. He handed me back my LP and pen, and said "well, save your pennies for the box-set, you and I are through talking." Just then the kid of the guy to whom Bruce was talking said to me "did you know that Bruce produced LPs for the Beach Boys?" I said yes I did, LA and Keeping The Summer Alive. Told the kid I though Bruce tried the right thing with HCTN. Bruce turned to me and said "HEY, I SAID U AND I ARE THROUGH TALKING! SERIOUSLY!"

Now I can understand when u hang around someone forever and wont go away that you would get mad. It has happened to me. But I am talking about standing there for MAYBE 5 mins, probably less. I mean come on DUDE, who do you think pays their hard earned dollars to keep you and the guys in the style you have grown accustomed to? ALWAYS be nice to fans. Understandably, you will have the wackos who require a swift kick, but no someone who is just standing there saying a few kind words. It ruined the rest of my experience for me. And the fondness I always had for Bruce and the way he stands up for Brian's music. End Of Rant.

PS - Scott Totten and Probyn Gregory are 2 of the most wonderful guys you could ever ever meet. Scott didn't want to sign my PS copy because it was like signing a copy of the Bible for him. I told him no, it was my way of saying thanks for the music.

I think, in reality, more than any of the others, Bruce is just becoming a crazy, senile old man. But yeah, that would definitely color the way I look at him from now on if that happened to me.
petsite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2012, 02:19:17 PM »

I was a little harsh on Bruce. I love the guy, really. All the kindness over the years was great. I guess I was mad cuz it put a damper on what was a FANTASTIC evening. And Bruce was SO GOOD on Disney Girls. That is my wife's favorite (that and Sail On Sailor). So it made it special for me to have her 2 faves done live.

Bruce J. is still the man. We all have off nights. You should see some emails I have sent out when I am tired and mad.....where is that recall button?Huh? LOL
« Last Edit: June 09, 2012, 02:20:12 PM by petsite » Logged
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx