gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680828 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 05:21:38 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike Love in the Histroy of Rock  (Read 6518 times)
rocker P
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« on: April 05, 2006, 08:17:02 PM »

Recently had a chance to sit down briefly with singer/songwriter/leader and founder of THE BEACH BOYS

Rocker P: tell us about The Beach Boys

Mike Love: In the early 60s, I started a group with my cousin, who liked to mess around on the piano, so I let him play to some lyrics I had written, we get the baby cousins to form a rhtyhm backing group, and my songs took off right away. Top of the charts,all those great songs I wrote. Now my cousin become a drug addict off of LSD, so we had my good compadre, BRUCE JOHNSTON, who tours with me to this day, 180 dates a year come aboard. In the later 60's, the baby cousins wanted more say in the group, so being the gracious guy I am, I let em take the lead for a bit, but the public just wasnt digging it like they did MY songs, we had a compilation of mostly my songs which I entitled Endless Summer come out, and it brought us back on top, we were a hot solid concert attraction that I led, and then another one of my songs Kokomo brought us even further to the top of the charts in the 80's.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2006, 05:54:47 AM »

*sigh*

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Dan Lega
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2006, 07:36:50 AM »

Wow.  Is this for real?

What is the "History of Rock" -- a book, I'm guessing?  Published when?

Love and merci,   Dan Lega
summerinparadise.flac
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2006, 10:15:54 AM »

I really hope this isn't real.

"I'll haunt you like a ghost"
-Brian Wilson, the Ruby song from Party.

Please support the Beach Boys without being a rude dude or grumpy gus.
Don't Back Down
Smiley Smile Associate

shoo-be-do-ba

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2006, 10:23:07 AM »

I'm sorry but this sounds completely made up.

Moon shines bright, asleep in my bed, like so many people got a big day ahead of me
Reverend Joshua Sloane
Smiley Smile Associate

Since I cannot rouse heaven I intend to raise hell

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2006, 11:58:27 AM »

I'm sorry but this sounds completely made up.

Yeah.

If it's true then i'll admit my mistake of defending Mike's personality.

Did it ever occur to you, Cable, how wise and bountiful God was to put breasts on a woman? Just the right number in just the right place. Did you ever notice that, Cable?
DUMB ANGEL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2006, 12:02:21 PM »

Great "interview with mike" Being the totally in love with himself guy that he is, I can imagine him at least thinking the thoughts presented in the "interview.
Rerun
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2006, 12:05:53 PM »

Anybody who didn't know this was a joke is a fool!  You hear me?  A damned fool

"Today, in our increasingly secular world, loving one another doesn't just mean "loving."  It means being forced to accept as normal those behaviors and lifestyles that are absolutely abnormal.  It's not enough to live and let live.  You must chant their mantra as well; you must repent, renounce your own values, and pronounce those of the radical left as superior and adopt them."
Reverend Joshua Sloane
Smiley Smile Associate

Since I cannot rouse heaven I intend to raise hell

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2006, 12:16:14 PM »

I don't believe that Mike Love would EVER underestimate Brian Wilson's role in the group's success. We all relish in the times that Brian and Gary, or Brian and Tony, or Brian and Van Dyke spent together writing. Yet we hardly ever talk about the emotional experience it must have been for them both to be composing songs like Kiss Me Baby, or Please Let Me Wonder.

Did it ever occur to you, Cable, how wise and bountiful God was to put breasts on a woman? Just the right number in just the right place. Did you ever notice that, Cable?
Surfer Joe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2006, 01:18:47 PM »

What Mike would actally say- heck, I have it on videotape somewhere from the L.A. news (and did he also say it in "Endless Harmony"?) is that all the positivity was his contribution, and in a way, I think that's a very legitimate claim.  He didn't come up with the title "Good Vibrations", but in general, the "Fun, Fun, Fun" aspect of the Beach Boys is mostly connected to him by the general public, and the angst and the emotionalism and melodicism  to Brian.  That's s gross oversimplification, of course, but I think there's a basic truth that underlies it.  Mike contributed heavily to the band's image and legacy in that area.

Mike's annoyed the hell out of me for years, but I don't think I've ever seen him diminish the roles of the other Beach Boys.  As always, I could certainly be wrong.

"Don't let the posey fool ya."

-Prof. Henry R. Quail-
rocker P
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2006, 02:12:33 PM »

We asked Mike to discuss some of the other players who have been in THE BEACH BOYS

Brian- my cousin,yeah he did some background singing, and liked to be in the studio with the likes of Hal Blaine and Chuck Brits, because I hired nothing but the best for my records. Got real messed up on LSD, I think he moved in with a therapist for a while or something.

Carl-my youngest cousin, yeah he played the guitar with us on stage, and sang a couple of the less commerical tunes, he croaked a while back, too much smoke or something.

Dennis-another cousin, yeah he would come around sometimes. He was more into classical stuff, strings and things. I think he worked with Marilyn Manson for a bit too.

Al Jardine- Al? hmm doesnt really ring a bell, oh yeah, AL! he was in the group very briefly when we started, left to become a dental assistant or something, I remember he had a bad attitude.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2006, 03:14:40 PM »

This same thing was posted when this board was on comiclist. Talk about deja vu all over again...

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2006, 05:43:04 PM »

Yeah, I don't understand what this guy's trying to do.  I don't get what the 'in the history of rock' thing means, either, that's what the title of the old post was as well.  Maybe English is his second language? 
Surfer Joe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2006, 06:15:49 PM »

The thing is, for parody to work at all (much less be funny), there must be some basis in truth- it has to caricature or comment on something actual.  In the absence of any evidence that Mike ever denigrated the roles or contributions of the other Beach Boys, I don't get the point.  He may have puffed himself up at times, I don't know, but not at , say, Carl's expense, as far as I know.

-Prof. Henry R. Quail-
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2006, 05:02:57 AM »

He may have puffed himself up at times, I don't know, but not at , say, Carl's expense, as far as I know.

Well, in fact I heard an interview with Mike where he sid he misses Carl from a personally point of view, but not from a musical point, 'cause the guys in his band are doing a great job. Dunno if this falls into that categorie.....

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Surfer Joe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2006, 02:42:53 PM »

I wouldn't say it's a huge slam unless he said the new guys were much better- in any case, it doesn't really inflate his own role in the past stuff at Carl's expense. 

Mike has given his critics so much material over the years that I don't know why anyone has to invent new stuff.

On the other hand, is there anyone left who hasn't slammed the original Beach Boys?  I guess next up will be Al saying that the Family and Friends group is a vast improvement over his old band, and then Dave will comment that the Marksmen were light years beyond his previous band...

From Beach Boys to whipping boys...

-Prof. Henry R. Quail-
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2006, 05:25:55 PM »

He may have puffed himself up at times, I don't know, but not at , say, Carl's expense, as far as I know.

Well, in fact I heard an interview with Mike where he sid he misses Carl from a personally point of view, but not from a musical point, 'cause the guys in his band are doing a great job. Dunno if this falls into that categorie.....

I think Mike just has a bad way with words and is pretty blunt.  He has a lack of "couth".  I dont' think there's anything particularly wrong with what he said, I would much rather have somebody like me personally than professionally.
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2006, 05:56:02 PM »

BBFC is running an interview with Mike in the next newsletter (subscription only, sorry). Since I help with the newsletter, I've seen Mike's interview -- and I can guarantee you that the "interview" that tops this thread doesn't even sound like Mike. It sounds like someone's April Fool's gag that was posted a few days late, after circulating around, to me. Son, it's bogus, I say!
Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2006, 12:36:13 AM »

It may fall in the same category as brian claiming that his band is way better than the Beach Boys. Oh wait, Mike didn't go that far, the distinction goes to Brian alone.

Poor exercise of parody. If I come up with a Brian quote defending racial segregation will anybody believe it's for real as well?  Roll Eyes

I'm fat as a cow oh how'd I ever get this way!
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2006, 05:13:12 AM »

Here it is. I guess it sounds really not like putting Carl down....

http://rapidshare.de/files/17486199/mike_interview_muenchen_2001.mp3.html

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2006, 04:30:59 PM »

I don't even think rocker P's statements were meant to be anything BUT parody.. if anyone had to think for more than a a nanosecond about the veracity of the interview, they're a few apple trees short of an orchard, if you catch my drift.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
rocker P
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2006, 06:57:23 PM »

This interview was conducted with Mr. Love, when he phoned my house during his telemarketing job.
He introduced himself as "Mike" and I thought I recognized the voice,, when I interupted his copy toner
sales presentaion, he explained he did telemarketing in the off hours of his touring, to help pay the
many alimonies he owed. He sang a  song at my request, first allowing his supervisor to get on the line
and sing the high parts, he then agrreed to my interview for the History Of Rock program, which is quite
popular in my country. Thank you for you concern
Salutaions,
Peter Longe.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2006, 04:27:24 AM »

I don't even think rocker P's statements were meant to be anything BUT parody.. if anyone had to think for more than a a nanosecond about the veracity of the interview, they're a few apple trees short of an orchard, if you catch my drift.

I doubt that anyone took it serious, but there came a discussion out of it with real life-arguments and I think that's a good thing....

- Jack Rieley
Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2006, 04:59:15 AM »

I doubt that anyone took it serious, but there came a discussion out of it with real life-arguments and I think that's a good thing....

Read again, there was an alarming number of people who thought it might be a real quote. Which says a lot more about the dysfuntional fanbase than about Mike.

I'm fat as a cow oh how'd I ever get this way!
Surfer Joe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2006, 01:42:56 PM »

Speaking or "Rocker P", have y'all heard what Dennis and Dave Marks used to put in those squirt guns?

-Prof. Henry R. Quail-
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx