gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680750 Posts in 27614 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 02:19:53 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: No Dennis and Carl Dedication  (Read 3468 times)
Disney Boy (1985)
« on: June 07, 2012, 11:56:22 PM »

I was surprised, disappointed and baffled that there was no dedication to - or even mention of - Dennis and Carl in the TWGMTR album sleeve notes. I'm one of those who thought it would've been misguided and a mistake for them to have included old Dennis or Carl vocals onto a track and i'm relieved they didn't, however it seems very odd indeed that there's no 'Dedicated to the memory of...' tribute, as there was on SMiLE and Brian's solo albums in general. Anyone any idea why not?
« Last Edit: June 09, 2012, 12:01:49 AM by Disney Boy (1985) » Logged
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2012, 12:36:41 AM »

Dennis and Carl have been gone a long time now.  Perhaps they're just moving on.  You can only dedicate to a person's memory so many times.  After a while, it could start to lose meaning.  I think we all know by now that they were a huge part of Brian and his life but he's moved through it and this album is all about the present and the future.

CarlTheVoice
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2012, 01:44:40 AM »

I was surprised at first when I read the notes, but they do mention family and maybe that's how they chose to word it. Family could mean their parents, brothers and all the current generations so I think they've thought about it and are happy with that. It would be silly to think that no one cares about Dennis or Carl anymore, we all know they had a massive part to play in the Beach Boys story.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2012, 12:45:56 PM »

Being that this is a reunion album, there should have at least been a dedication to Carl, he was still living the last time these guys recorded together. I guess they could say "we already did the dedication to Dennis on the back cover's of BB85 and Made in USA", but I think they should have referenced both.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2012, 01:02:32 PM »

As much as it would have been cool, I don't mind it.  It's been a long time, and we know where all these guy's hearts are. 

BTW, I've been tinkering around with the theory that "Pacific Coast Hwy" is a Dennis tribute, and "Summer's Gone" is a Carl tribute. 
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2012, 01:28:23 PM »

I've been wondering the same about "Pacific Coast Highway"...

Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2012, 01:56:53 PM »

But i thought Brian said he didn't even knew his brother did a record.
GoodToMyBaby
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2012, 02:13:20 PM »

Brian says lots of things.

Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2012, 02:41:11 PM »

Brian says lots of things.

Woah
GoofyJeff
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2012, 04:15:24 PM »

He also said "I threw it away, I junked it. I thought it was inappropriate music for us to make, yeah." in reference to SMiLE.

So what is on those 5 CDs that came out last year?!?

"Because of the attitude of a few mental dinosaurs intent on exploiting our initial success, Brian's huge talent has never been fully appreciated in America and the potential of the group has been stifled.... If the Beatles had suffered this kind of misrepresentation, they would have never got past singing 'Please Please Me' and 'I Wanna Hold Your Hand' and leaping around in Beatle suits."
-Dennis Wilson, 1970
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2012, 04:23:43 PM »

Yeah and that took like, what, more than 40 years to come out?!

Anyway it has nothing to do with what we were talking about, what's the point of saying you don't know your brother made a record ? especially since you said before you liked that record.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2012, 04:37:53 PM »

Obviously so you dont' have to talk about it. 
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2012, 04:40:26 PM »

?!
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2012, 04:43:50 PM »

You must never do this, I do it all the time. 

"Hey Man, have you ever seen "Avatar" ? 

Me :  "Nope"

Convo over. 
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2012, 04:47:07 PM »

lol, nice one.
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2012, 09:10:01 PM »

I found it a bit odd too, but I agree that they probably just want to move on - everyone knows that Dennis and Carl will always be remembered, so maybe they just didn't see the need to make a big deal about it. 
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2012, 09:14:00 PM »

I can't recall exactly which interview - but it was a recent one - and Brian makes mention of Pacific Ocean Blue.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2012, 12:06:30 AM »

I can't recall exactly which interview - but it was a recent one - and Brian makes mention of Pacific Ocean Blue.

Perhaps Brian is reluctant to talk about POB coz he knows it wipes the floor with anything the official group has released in the last three decades, including the new album. I think sometimes we excuse not particuarly nice things Brian has said too easily as him just being, 'you know, Brian'.
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2012, 09:06:24 AM »

Perhaps Brian is reluctant to talk about POB coz he knows it wipes the floor with anything the official group has released in the last three decades, including the new album. I think sometimes we excuse not particuarly nice things Brian has said too easily as him just being, 'you know, Brian'.

Good point, good point.

lol, imagine if POB was a Beach Boys record (in fact it isn't that hard to picture it : Carl did guitar on it, Mike Love cowrote a song, Bruce Johnston did some background vocals...), wow.
joe_blow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2012, 10:14:36 AM »

I wouldn't be surprised if the band itself just wasn't asked if they wanted to mention them so it went ahead without a mention. I could be wrong-I have yet to see the liner notes.
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2012, 11:14:41 AM »

I wouldn't be surprised if the band itself just wasn't asked if they wanted to mention them so it went ahead without a mention. I could be wrong-I have yet to see the liner notes.

That seems unlikely. Just seems an odd thing to do, really. With deceased band members it'd be a bit off, with deceased band members who were family it just seems, i don't know... But i was really surprised at the lack of a dedication. An unusual decision, whoever took it.
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2012, 11:32:46 AM »

That seems unlikely. Just seems an odd thing to do, really. With deceased band members it'd be a bit off, with deceased band members who were family it just seems, i don't know... But i was really surprised at the lack of a dedication. An unusual decision, whoever took it.

Did Still Cruisin', SIP or Stars & Stripes have dedications to Dennis?

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2012, 02:34:04 PM »

Did Still Cruisin', SIP or Stars & Stripes have dedications to Dennis?
No, but The Beach Boys and Made In U.S.A. albums did. Though both were released not long after he passed away. With Carl it has been 14 years. Maybe they thought too much time has passed. They at least honor both guys during the Reunion Tour.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.