gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:08:16 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Long Versions that are better than the shortened Versions  (Read 11721 times)
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: June 07, 2012, 08:44:11 PM »

It might be easier to go the other way with it, but everybody list some "Long" versions of songs that are better than the shortened edit.  I guess really they're almost ALWAYS better, although I can see where trimming it down helps promote it.

The two that immediately spring to mind are:

1. Crimson & Clover - They cut out so much of the trippy guitar work in the edited version, I think it makes it much better Long, the extended version rocks. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXrAUXbQ7Iw

After listening to it again, in my opinion that's possibly some of the most beautiful guitar work I've heard.  I know it's not all that but it's such a pretty song.  I used to work at a photo lab when I was a teenager, I had this guy come in the grocery store one day who swore up and down he was in the Shondells and played guitar on most of their hits including this one.  Wish I would have got his name.  At the time I honestly didn't give a sh*t. 

2. Amie by Pure Prairie League - on the album, it had an extended intro that they cut off for the single.  It's awesome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhbN1LCDcAM

Post me some more examples guys and girls where prudence got in the way of over the top can't contain themselves self indulgent 8 minute long rock songs, lol. 
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2012, 08:53:39 PM »

The Doors - "Light My Fire"
The Doors - "Riders On The Storm"
Lynyrd Skynyrd - "Freebird"
Pink Floyd - "Money"
TheLazenby
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2012, 09:52:32 PM »

Well, "In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida", obviously - the single version is absolutely worthless.  (There are MUCH better ways to condense that song onto a 45.  I've tried.)

Sometimes, the 'extended' version IS the true, complete song; for example, "Macho Man."  The extended version has verses the condensed version doesn't.
MyGlove
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2012, 11:07:42 PM »

Rapper's Delight by the Sugarhill Gang.
Mr. Tambourine Man by Bob Dylan is better than the cover version (shortened cover version) by the Byrds
I honestly have heard some amazing mixes of 10-20 minute versions of Heroes and Villains and they blow even the Smile Sessions version out of the water.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2012, 11:16:49 PM »

Mr. Tambourine Man by Bob Dylan is better than the cover version (shortened cover version) by the Byrds

Probably a controversial opinion, but I agree with you. Too bad the Byrds didn't do a longer version for their first album, as their arrangement is classic, but yeah, I prefer Bob's version simply because he does the complete song.
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2012, 07:29:55 AM »

"Won't Get Fooled Again" -- the single version is just plain insulting.

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
Aum Bop Diddit
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2012, 08:47:43 AM »

"Fooled Around and Fell in Love" by Elvin Bishop.  The single excises a wonderful guitar solo -- a highlight of a great pop record.

Hey!  Those are *MY* wind chimes!
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2012, 09:40:03 AM »

"Fooled Around and Fell in Love" by Elvin Bishop.  The single excises a wonderful guitar solo -- a highlight of a great pop record.

Gotta go find it gotta go find it Smiley  I love that song and I dont' think I've ever heard the album version.  

Edit: Found it, I think the single might have part of the solo on it or something, becuase I've heard some of it but you're right that makes the song MUCH better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39Xf6XTgohA
« Last Edit: June 08, 2012, 09:44:34 AM by Ron » Logged
Aum Bop Diddit
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2012, 10:28:33 AM »

You're right -- the solo is partially there on the single version.  But very brief.

onkster
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2012, 06:01:24 PM »

Ballet for a Girl in Buchanon vs. the 2 or 3 singles cut down from it. (Chicago). Does that count?
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2012, 08:56:26 PM »

I have no clue what you're talking about.  So it may count.  Here's what I gleaned from your post.

You MAY be talking about the band Chicago, which I like.  I don't know much about them, but I know they have a propensity for making really long songs.  So maybe they made a really long piece of music alled "Ballet for a Girl in Buchanon", and it was so fucking long that they made two or three different singles (which I've never heard) from different parts of it. 

How close am I? 

onkster
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2012, 04:13:39 PM »

On the nose. "Ballet" was a side-length suite, and "Make Me Smile" and "Color My World" were cut from it for singles. There might've been a third--or, actually, "Make Me Smile" was cobbled together from the first/last songs of the suite. And yes, they're great as singles, but the suite is pretty damned cool.
Aum Bop Diddit
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2012, 07:00:56 PM »

In the 70s a lot of R&B/Soul hits would be truncated versions or divided into "Parts 1 & 2" on each side of a single -- James Brown had a few like this ("Sex Machine").  Edited examples are "Papa Was a Rolling Stone" by the Temptations and I think "Shaft" by Issac Hayes.  Another group that did the "1 & 2" thing were the incredible Isley Brothers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3Kf1Iy5E6U

Man!

Afro Cool Guy

Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2012, 01:11:28 AM »

I'm not sure I like any single edit better than the extended version.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2012, 10:36:35 AM »

I'm not sure I like any single edit better than the extended version.

Yeah, I was thinking maybe I should have made it the other way around Smiley
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2012, 01:52:01 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCvOiwUMNW8

loop this endlessly and you got one monster of a track!

someone should post a 100 hour youtube vid of Shortenin Bread, it's just that great! just like Nyan Cat
Dead Parrot
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2012, 10:16:00 PM »

I definitely prefer the full length version of "Love Is Like Oxygen" by The Sweet.
roll plymouth rock
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2012, 12:37:40 AM »

Kraftwerk - Autobahn

Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2012, 12:10:35 AM »

Ding Dang

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2012, 12:17:14 AM »

Surprised nobody has picked this...

'Cool Cool Water'.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2012, 12:23:58 AM »

Life

It’s like he hired a fashion consultant and told her to make him look “punchable.”
Some Guy, 2012
"Donald Trump makes Mike Love look like an asshole"
Me ,2015.
MBE
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2012, 02:54:22 AM »

In the 70s a lot of R&B/Soul hits would be truncated versions or divided into "Parts 1 & 2" on each side of a single -- James Brown had a few like this ("Sex Machine").  Edited examples are "Papa Was a Rolling Stone" by the Temptations and I think "Shaft" by Issac Hayes.  Another group that did the "1 & 2" thing were the incredible Isley Brothers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3Kf1Iy5E6U

Man!

Afro Cool Guy
All of James Brown's stuff is better in the full versions

Cool, Cool, Water is much better to me in the long edit. Livin With A Heartache is far better short.
Jukka
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2012, 01:01:33 PM »

Allman Brother's epic live version of Whipping Post totally annihilates the studio version (the SANE applies to many Grateful Dead songs, esp. Dark Star).

"Surfing and cars were okay but there was a war going on."
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2012, 12:34:39 AM »

Time Has Come Today by The Chambers Brothers. Blinded By The Light by Manfred Mann's Earth Band. Who Are You by The Who. The Kids Are Alright by The Who. I'll think of more as soon as I hit the "post" button.  Grin

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Music Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2012, 05:08:20 PM »

Yes - Into the Lens. The short version is my nomination for sloppiest single edit of all time. Have a listen; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCjU7ZwqI4U
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx