gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 02:37:19 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Worst live act you've ever seen in person.  (Read 27681 times)
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: October 12, 2015, 02:01:30 AM »

I've been lucky for  the most part concerning live performances.

By far the worst was George Harrison in Baton Rouge  in 1974, Dark Horse tour. His voice sounded like it was ripped to shreds !

Elizabeth

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

"The best thing you can be 'like' in music is yourself." Dr. John
undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 12, 2015, 09:33:38 AM »

Albeit, I knew fewer songs of theirs back then and I still don't know all of them, but I saw MGMT once.... the opening band s u c k e d, the sound or something sounded off/muffled the entire time, and they didn't play "Kids." I've heard from another friend when he saw them at a music festival that they were terrible, too. Shame, because I'm a fan of Oracular Spectacular :/

"We are pushed to the wall as the heap fills the room to its limits. The window breaks. The house bursts. A heartbreakingly fine Scotch plaid passes before our eyes. Pinstripes carry us into Manhasset Bay."
Occasional grilled cheese
Smiley Smile Associate

Quickly Duncan, the strengths!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: February 10, 2021, 08:17:15 AM »

In terms of professional bands where it wasn't just a case of them not being my taste, the award goes to Everclear at Xfinity Live, Philadelphia 6/17/15. The opening band The Good Excuses weren't so great either but my criticism of them is more toward their material than performance.

It was no surprise to me or disqualification that by this time Everclear was down to frontman Art Alexakis with a new entourage, but his vocals just were noticeably off. Not so much the tone but the delivery was really inconsistent, missing alot of words and syllables. The backing vocals were alright but it was also a slight bummer that the Beach Boys style intro to the set opener "So Much For The Afterglow" was canned. You get what you pay for though and fortunately admission and parking were free. When it came time for the encore I could tell what songs were coming up and decided for the first time to leave early and beat the traffic.

Since then it came out that Alexakis was actually suffering from an undiagnosed medical condition that directly impacted his musicianship, so I'll concede that some of my criticism at the time was unfair. Still, the other tour dates weren't free and I wouldn't buy tickets in the future on the strength of their name. Kinda wish I got to see them in their prime but I don't revisit their music beyond the radio these days.

I never really held local bands to the same standards as the pros cause no one's paying them to practice and it's often more driven by community than excellence. That being said, even going back to my days as a 13 year old discovering the local hardcore scene I don't recall anything so exceptionally below that par that I remembered it as the worst. In my late 20's I worked sound and door at alot of harsh noise shows and often felt like I was in The Emperor's New Clothes. I couldn't grasp a point of reference to evaluate whether performers ruled or sucked. I guess it was just over my head. Kinda view it as a different art form that isn't comparable to a rock show.

A few honorable mentions for worst would be The Green opening for 311 at Stone Pony Summerstage in Asbury Park, 7/18/15 and Nothing opening for Swirlies at Johnny Brendas in Philly 7/21/13. The Green had their bass synth so loud that it drowned out the rest of the band. Thought maybe it was just cause I was up front but the headliner didn't have the same issues. Nothing had their amps turned up so loud that active listening was completely negated. I know shoegaze has that kinda reputation, but even My Bloody Valentine '08 didn't brickwall so hard. When the bill was flipped in 2018 I caught the Swirlies opening and left before Nothing's set.

Try Q-Z-2-U-H
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 10, 2021, 06:22:35 PM »

I saw Dion one time in a huge arena at an oldies show when I was a kid.  He was the main gig, and about half the audience left before he finished... he refused to sing anything old or classic, was just playing a bunch of pretentious sh*t nobody wanted to hear. 

Was this during his singer/songwriter phase in the early 70's, or his Contemporary Christian phase in the 80's?
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 11, 2021, 04:39:56 AM »

I saw Dion one time in a huge arena at an oldies show when I was a kid.  He was the main gig, and about half the audience left before he finished... he refused to sing anything old or classic, was just playing a bunch of pretentious sh*t nobody wanted to hear. 

Was this during his singer/songwriter phase in the early 70's, or his Contemporary Christian phase in the 80's?

Regrettably Ron was last around in May 2016 -- it would be great if he reappeared, as he always had interestng things to say.

Once again regrettably, from Ron's description I'd say it was during the last-named phase... 

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
ExUpstairsCaptain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #80 on: February 11, 2021, 05:59:48 AM »

Blue Oyster Cult, 2014. They played a free show in a park which totaled nine songs, plus an instrumental jam, and no encore. Considering the band's age and the fact that I paid nothing, I wasn't expecting to be blown away. But the guys seemed so tired and bored, like they really didn't want to be there.
Aum Bop Diddit
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 16, 2021, 07:17:34 PM »

Blue Oyster Cult, 2014. They played a free show in a park which totaled nine songs, plus an instrumental jam, and no encore. Considering the band's age and the fact that I paid nothing, I wasn't expecting to be blown away. But the guys seemed so tired and bored, like they really didn't want to be there.

Maybe a bad gig -- I've seen them a number of times over the years including right around then at a state fair in Florida, and they were always great.  Buck Dharma in fact is even better than he was in their heyday.

Hey!  Those are *MY* wind chimes!
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 16, 2021, 11:05:34 PM »

I know exactly what the problem was, why the band didn't deliver -

THEY NEEDED MORE COWBELL!!
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx