gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 07:52:37 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] Go Down Print
Author Topic: I need help identifying some Brian Wilson bootlegs I've found.  (Read 62351 times)
LeeDempsey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: January 24, 2015, 04:56:32 PM »

I have several copies of the '70s SMiLE cover slick repro (the one with the Stereo markings at the top) that have the original color keys and crop marks.  But I have one copy that is even more uncropped -- it has TWO sets of crop marks and color keys -- one from the repro printer as well as the original slick's color key and crop marks.

I also have a Duophonic repro slick that I got from Frank Holmes, but that's not considered a bootleg.

Lee
« Last Edit: February 03, 2015, 09:31:35 PM by LeeDempsey » Logged
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: January 24, 2015, 05:53:41 PM »

Let's get a handle on the booklets. Of course an original one would be nice to have and talk about, but I'd like to know where the bootleg versions came from and what year if possible.  You guys want the boot sleeves up so I'll park them on the list.

Were there any more pieces to the "UK Collectors Series" other than the SMiLE booklet?

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: January 24, 2015, 07:40:35 PM »

I bought my numbered copy of the Smile booklet after seeing the advertisement in the original edition of LLVS back in 1989. The booklet is promoted as Beach Boys UK Collectors Series Volume 1, limited to 1000 copies.

So I'm looking at this one advertised as 1992 and there were some advertised (and I assume available) in 1989. Because of the year differences, I'm not sure this one (from the U.S.) is from the same run you're talking about from the Look, Listen, Vibrate, Smile advertisement.

http://eil.com/shop/moreinfo.asp?catalogid=558718

Definitely available in 1989 as that's when I bought mine, via bank transfer.

Difficult to tell if this one advertised is from the same run without knowing the origin of the 1992 publication year. The 4 digit numbering format correlates, though.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2015, 09:16:08 PM by metal flake paint » Logged

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: January 27, 2015, 12:20:03 PM »

OK, are we done here? Going once...........going twice.........

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: January 27, 2015, 02:39:19 PM »

For starters, you should probably add all those single song  Polish postcards;
 plus:

Vol 1 - Bob & Sheri - "Surfer Moon/Humpty Dumpty" - (Safari 101) - Blue vinyl, white label, die-cut cardboard sleeve change >>die-cut<< to >>Hard Cardboard<<

Vol V - SMiLE cover back slick - Uncropped, (limited edition of 200, hand-numbered - possibly 20 survived). Where does  the 20 count derive

SMiLE (Surfin' Records LP001 1971) - White label, red print<<  Make it clear the record isn't really from 1971, as  SOT wasn't released until 2003; add gray marble vinyl as one color, possibly more?

SMiLE booklet - 12 page photo booklet originally intended for issue with aborted 'SMiLE' LP release. 9½" x 10" (1992). Limited Edition 1,000 copies. >> Define as  a boot of the original booklets, which WERE intended for the LP release, , plus list mid 70's booklets/define differences between 70s and 89/92<<

and....

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: January 27, 2015, 09:14:34 PM »

For starters, you should probably add all those single song  Polish postcards;
 plus:

Vol 1 - Bob & Sheri - "Surfer Moon/Humpty Dumpty" - (Safari 101) - Blue vinyl, white label, die-cut cardboard sleeve change >>die-cut<< to >>Hard Cardboard<<

Let's go with "hardcover" for these types of sleeves.

Vol V - SMiLE cover back slick - Uncropped, (limited edition of 200, hand-numbered - possibly 20 survived). Where does  the 20 count derive

Metal Flake Paint asked the same question above. I provided a plausible answer and referred him to AGD.

SMiLE (Surfin' Records LP001 1971) - White label, red print<<  Make it clear the record isn't really from 1971, as  SOT wasn't released until 2003; add gray marble vinyl as one color, possibly more? ]

Fixed.

SMiLE booklet - 12 page photo booklet originally intended for issue with aborted 'SMiLE' LP release. 9½" x 10" (1992). Limited Edition 1,000 copies. >> Define as  a boot of the original booklets, which WERE intended for the LP release, , plus list mid 70's booklets/define differences between 70s and 89/92<<

and....

I was soliciting answers here and came up empty. I know of at least 2 runs of the booklets - one that I have that I picked up in the late 70's (possibly from an ad in BBFUN). The other I read about on the internet which I'm assuming is from the same run as the one Metal Flake has. That's all I know about, and that's all that's going on the list until someone comes forward with more information on other booklet sources/dates.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2015, 09:36:46 PM by Mikie » Logged

Cliff1000uk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: January 28, 2015, 03:08:58 AM »

Mikie-if it helps, I took photos of my Smile SOT001 (with blue watermark on the back cover) and Smile 2LP white label which I can upload here if you want.
I took photos of the front and back covers, spine and the Smile A, B, C, D on the deadwax of the white label set.
If you're thinking of including photos for each set, let me know and I'll upload them
Cheers
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: January 28, 2015, 07:26:05 AM »

Hi, Cliff! At this time I'm not looking for photos, but if you could just verify that everything is correct in the description of the record(s) in the list, that would be great! And if you'd still like to upload your pictures, of course that would help us too!

Next in the series that will be forthcoming: SMiLE boots on CD. After that: Beach Boys boots on CD.

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: February 01, 2015, 02:48:34 PM »

Some Cover/ Label pics on Ebay for some the listed LPs. 

BEACH BOYS California Surf Music ~ Resurfin' USA Vinyl Live MSG 72 LP BB 7010
 http://www.ebay.com/itm/BEACH-BOYS-California-Surf-Music-Resurfin-USA-Vinyl-Live-MSG-72-LP-BB-7010-/131418669590 

BEACH BOYS Live At Madison Square Garden Nov 1972 WIZARDO Vinyl LP
  http://www.ebay.com/itm/BEACH-BOYS-Live-At-Madison-Square-Garden-Nov-1972-WIZARDO-Vinyl-LP-/281585060769   

This seller on Ebay has listed quite a few of the boots for sale, including New Album( CS 1), Adult Child ( CS 2), Califonia Feeling ( CS 4),  Anaheim 76,  Rare Gems, Live at CBS Convention,  California Feeling, Brian Loves You, bamboo, and two different colored covers for Landlocked ( Blue and Brown)         http://tinyurl.com/nv4vyws

A NEW VARIATION!!!   the Landlocked Cover Color variations that is....

« Last Edit: February 04, 2015, 02:02:20 PM by bgas » Logged

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: February 09, 2015, 03:22:48 PM »

Got some new listings from the list of an Australian collector; hoping he'll post more details, or send them to me so I can  : 

LP; 
Holland Tapes     (No Label Info )             2LP of Holland album  outtakes and radio advert
ROck & Roll Hall Of Fame       Rock  HOF 003          includes  Barbara Ann live at Hall of Fame induction New York 20/1/88
Adult Child         Making Waves Series        Yellow Vinyl

EP; 
CATP/Pet Sounds Ad      ( No Label Info )      OurTeam, LoopDeLoop, GamesTwoCanPlay,  I Just Got My Pay

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #135 on: February 10, 2015, 01:59:59 AM »

Some Cover/ Label pics on Ebay for some the listed LPs. 

BEACH BOYS California Surf Music ~ Resurfin' USA Vinyl Live MSG 72 LP BB 7010
 http://www.ebay.com/itm/BEACH-BOYS-California-Surf-Music-Resurfin-USA-Vinyl-Live-MSG-72-LP-BB-7010-/131418669590 

BEACH BOYS Live At Madison Square Garden Nov 1972 WIZARDO Vinyl LP
  http://www.ebay.com/itm/BEACH-BOYS-Live-At-Madison-Square-Garden-Nov-1972-WIZARDO-Vinyl-LP-/281585060769   

Both those boots are the same show - Princeton 1971. 😊

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Tricycle Rider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: February 10, 2015, 02:03:43 AM »

Mikie-if it helps, I took photos of my Smile SOT001 (with blue watermark on the back cover) and Smile 2LP white label which I can upload here if you want.
I took photos of the front and back covers, spine and the Smile A, B, C, D on the deadwax of the white label set.
If you're thinking of including photos for each set, let me know and I'll upload them
Cheers

I'd like to see those photos Cliff!  Smiley

Some of our forum members suffer from an acute form of cynicism resulting in a complete lack of patience and manners in the face of anything joyful or optimistic. Try to humor them as best you can for the time being, and one day, with your help, we will find a cure for this devastating disease. This has been a public service announcement.
Cliff1000uk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: February 10, 2015, 03:57:15 AM »

Cheers

OK, no problems. Note to mods-I've tried to make these pictures as small as possible but if they are too large/eating up server space, feel free to delete and I'll post the URL's instead:
So...this is the 2LP Smile set. I do not have the insert mentioned:

Cliff1000uk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: February 10, 2015, 04:13:42 AM »

Cheers

And here's the SOT Smile LP (I've tried to get the etching in the deadwax!)

Flathead Jim
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: February 27, 2015, 10:01:37 PM »

Got some new listings from the list of an Australian collector; hoping he'll post more details, or send them to me so I can  : 

LP; 
Holland Tapes     (No Label Info )             2LP of Holland album  outtakes and radio advert
ROck & Roll Hall Of Fame       Rock  HOF 003          includes  Barbara Ann live at Hall of Fame induction New York 20/1/88
Adult Child         Making Waves Series        Yellow Vinyl

EP; 
CATP/Pet Sounds Ad      ( No Label Info )      OurTeam, LoopDeLoop, GamesTwoCanPlay,  I Just Got My Pay
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #140 on: February 27, 2015, 10:03:14 PM »

Uhh...I think you forgot your text.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: February 28, 2015, 03:05:52 PM »

Uhh...I think you forgot your text.

He wrote me back and said this>> I joined the SmileySmile board and tried to post these photos, but it timed out twice, after about 5 minutes, even though my first login said I would be on for 60 minutes, and the second one said forever. Hopefully my attempt to send the photos to you will be more successful, so you can upload them.  I don't know what I am doing wrong. <<

So, here's his pics: 

CATP /PS Radio Ad 45:      

R&R HOF LP front and back:       

Holland Tapes:     

Jim had this to say on the Adult Child:  >>The Adult Child - yellow vinyl is actually see-through golden yellow, so it may be common in the US. <<

gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx