gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:40:52 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: My list of demands regarding the next Beach Boys album  (Read 17322 times)
Charles LePage @ ComicList
Chairman Of The Board

Hit me with your pet shark.

View Profile WWW
« on: June 07, 2012, 07:37:06 AM »

1) More Al Jardine vocals.
2) At least one song with David Marks lead vocals.
3) Songwriting collaborations by Brian Wilson and Al Jardine.
4) Songwriting collaborations by Brian Wilson and David Marks.
5) Less Joe Thomas.  Maybe bring in Stephen Desper to record?
6) No songs written by Mike Love without Brian Wilson's help.
7) A double CD.  Don't drop any songs.  There's lots of unrecorded Brian Wilson songs for the Boys to record.  And he certainly will come up with new ones between now and then.   Blow my mind with a double CD of new songs.  I dare you.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2012, 08:36:31 AM by ComicList » Logged

"quiet here, no one got crap to say?" - bringahorseinhere
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2012, 07:45:08 AM »

*pulls out Brian's tape recorder answers*
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2012, 08:00:04 AM »

Maybe "demands" is kind of inappropriate a term? None of us is in any position to make "demands" to the BBs... only the BBs themselves, their managers and the record label could really demand something of them in terms of a (contracted) new LP.

Just sayin'...  Wink
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2012, 08:00:26 AM »

My own list of demands regarding the next Beach Boys album:

1)

That's it.

“We live in divisive times.”
Zach95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2012, 08:15:03 AM »

Well, I'd sure like to here the rest of the suite.

Ain't nothin' upside your head!
coco1997
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2012, 08:17:26 AM »

1) First side of the album is the first six tracks of the "My Life" suite.

2) If Brian can't come up with something to rival "Summer's Gone" as the album closer (and I have a feeling he shouldn't even attempt to), then re-record "Southern California" from "TLOS" with Beach Boys vocals.

"I've never been to Mars, but I imagine it's quite lovely."
onkster
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2012, 08:47:25 AM »

My suggestion (not a demand--I ain't takin' the boys hostage, y'know):

Now that you've done the "reunion" album, tour, etc.--yes, by all means, please blow our minds by making THE BEST ALBUM YOU COULD POSSIBLY MAKE from a musical standpoint. Don't think about image, sales, etc.--that's already been done. Take the unique chemistry of the Beach Boys as they stand today and make something with the intent of making, simply, THE BEST ALBUM EVER.

Let's have Brian's great voice, unique writing style, arranging chops, and production values reign.
Let's have Mike's excellent vocals there in the mix, with some great leads here and there.
Let's have an Al lead or two, and let's make sure we hear him in those harmonies.
Let's have David come up with the best damn leads he ever did--let him stretch into new territory here.
Let's not forget Bruce.

Let's hear something that's not afraid to have a little roughness in it, a little humanity, a lot of organic instruments and voices.
Let's have that wonderful strange mixture of down-to-earth melodicism combined with unusual experiments and humor.
Let's hear some hooks and chord changes that will make our jaws drop.
Let's hear something that will compel us to listen again and again for years after, as the best of the current album will surely do.

That's all. No demands. And hey...no pressure.
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2012, 08:57:29 AM »

My suggestions (again, no demands here) would be:
No Joe Thomas involvement. He may well be a lovely bloke but he's a terrible collaborator with Brian for the most part, on an artistic level.
Have every song, or nearly every song, be a Brian composition or co-write. (Something they got right this time).
Have a consistent group of musicians playing on every track -- the current touring band would be fine for this.
If Brian needs a co-producer/'recorder'/engineering supervisor to do the technical side of things, have it be whoever played that role on his solo albums from 2004 onwards.
More Al lead vocals.
Mike's bass vocals more prominent in the mix.

I would *like* to see songwriting collaborations with any of Scott Bennett, Van Dyke Parks or Andy Paley, but only if Brian wanted to write with those people.

And finally, not a *ban* on these things, but in any Mike lyrics, any mention of an old song title, or any list of more than two place names, should incur a $10,000 per infraction charity donation from Mike.  That way, he'll only do it if he *really* thinks it's artistically necessary, and if it's still awful we'd have the consolation of knowing it's in a good cause.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2012, 08:58:33 AM »

1) The album is called 'Pleasure Island'
2) Brian collaborates with Nickelback to finish his compositions for Pleasure Island.
3) Ghost (Nobody, SoColdIGoBurr) gets the only Brian Wilson promo interview for the album. (and it will be the greatest interview with any music legend. ever.)
4) Drip Drop is included on the album (LET'S DO THIS MOTHERFUCKER!)
5) MOOG Synth is drenched all over it (add some cow-bell in there too)
6) It's recorded with vintage equipment with the remaining members of the Wrecking Crew
7) It's only released on vinyl.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2012, 09:00:44 AM »

2) Brian collaborates with Nickelback to finish his compositions for Pleasure Island.
3) Ghost (Nobody, SoColdIGoBurr) gets the only Brian Wilson promo interview for the album. (and it will be the greatest interview with any music legend. ever.)
4) Drip Drop is included on the album (LET'S DO THIS MOTHERf*ckER!)
6) It's recorded with vintage equipment with the remaining members of the Wrecking Crew

I can get behind this.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2012, 09:10:55 AM »

I can get behind this.

Actually, everything besides the Nickelback collaboration would probably make a lot of us happy!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2012, 09:37:54 AM »

I can get behind this.

Actually, everything besides the Nickelback collaboration would probably make a lot of us happy!

I'm onboard Captain

Remove nickelback, add some rerecorded unreleased songs like California Feelin' (I can easily hear Al singing California Feelin'), get some Shortening Bread rock riffs in there (with moog ofc)

Would love an album to have PS/Smile/TWGMTR intrumentation and have a few oddities in the style of Love You with moog and those highpitch biiips bouncing around in the mix.
Problem is, will they bother?
Amanda Hart
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2012, 09:58:28 AM »

My suggestions (again, no demands here) would be:
No Joe Thomas involvement. He may well be a lovely bloke but he's a terrible collaborator with Brian for the most part, on an artistic level.
Have every song, or nearly every song, be a Brian composition or co-write. (Something they got right this time).
Have a consistent group of musicians playing on every track -- the current touring band would be fine for this.
If Brian needs a co-producer/'recorder'/engineering supervisor to do the technical side of things, have it be whoever played that role on his solo albums from 2004 onwards.
More Al lead vocals.
Mike's bass vocals more prominent in the mix.

I would *like* to see songwriting collaborations with any of Scott Bennett, Van Dyke Parks or Andy Paley, but only if Brian wanted to write with those people.

And finally, not a *ban* on these things, but in any Mike lyrics, any mention of an old song title, or any list of more than two place names, should incur a $10,000 per infraction charity donation from Mike.  That way, he'll only do it if he *really* thinks it's artistically necessary, and if it's still awful we'd have the consolation of knowing it's in a good cause.

Except for having every song being written by Brian, this is what I would love. I would like to see Al or Dave get a song in if they've got them.
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2012, 10:14:45 AM »

I can get behind this.

I'm onboard Captain

Remove nickelback, add some rerecorded unreleased songs like California Feelin' (I can easily hear Al singing California Feelin'), get some Shortening Bread rock riffs in there (with moog ofc)

Would love an album to have PS/Smile/TWGMTR intrumentation and have a few oddities in the style of Love You with moog and those highpitch biiips bouncing around in the mix.
Problem is, will they bother?

California Feelin has been officially released twice, once with Al singing lead.  Don't think we need a 3d

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2012, 10:17:31 AM »

1 Let Brian Wilson do anything he wants, prehaps something a la TLOS.
2 Tony Asher and Van Dyke Parks for the lyrics.
3 No Joe Thomas.
4 More Al Jardine vocals/songs.
5 At least one Bruce Johnston song.
6 More David Marks vocals/songs.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2012, 10:37:00 AM »

this is going to be the next pet sounds... Grin

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Firemellow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2012, 10:38:14 AM »

The album is missing an upbeat, BB rocker.  Come on guys, break 120 beats per minute.  No more shuffles. 
onkster
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2012, 11:16:01 AM »

And if it's gonna be the final album, do some wacky showstopper at the end, kinda like the Beatles soloing on "The End"...but make it your own thing, with all the guys chipping in. Somethin' rockin'. With cello triplets. I dunno.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2012, 11:49:39 AM »

Perhaps the Executive Producer of the next album could be a committee of concerned Smiley Boarders... geez, if only we'd been around 50 years ago, THIS BAND NEED NEVER HAVE MADE A MISTAKE!

“We live in divisive times.”
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2012, 11:53:28 AM »

I would like Brian to bring back the wall of sound ala:andy paley session and mix in both mono and stereo
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2012, 12:14:17 PM »

Perhaps the Executive Producer of the next album could be a committee of concerned Smiley Boarders... geez, if only we'd been around 50 years ago, THIS BAND NEED NEVER HAVE MADE A MISTAKE!

True that.

OldSurferDude would have kicked Myke Luhv out immediately, Ghost would have turned Brian onto acid at the recording session for Surfin', and the rest of us would be in an all-out fist fight in the parking lot outside Western (started over the recommended use of Moog Synthesizers on Pet Sounds).

Though, more seriously, I think this thread was made for kicks....and responded to by people who are bored out of their skulls at their work/home/library/space-station. I hope to God Brian doesn't actually take notes from this thread Grin

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2012, 12:18:41 PM »

Ghost would give Brian acid in 2012 along with moog and bathrobe stuffed with coke. Shocked

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2012, 12:24:23 PM »

Ghost would give Brian acid in 2012 along with moog and bathrobe stuffed with coke. Shocked

God I really do miss that guy. His 5-paragraph long essays on why Brian needs cocaine were priceless LOL - tasteless, yes, but funny they were.

joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2012, 12:39:56 PM »

You might be a ghost if.........(put your pun here..lol)
Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

Son, don't wait till the break of day....

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2012, 12:54:28 PM »

Hey, the next album is going to rock pretty hard!

Son, don't wait till the break of day 'cause you know how time fades away......
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx