gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680713 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 16, 2024, 03:32:56 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: "The Fragile Beach Boys Reunion" - Rolling Stone Magazine  (Read 61012 times)
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2012, 07:55:26 PM »

Finished the article and it's really the best "inside look" we're going to get into the tour and getting a sneak peak between Brian and Mike off stage.  Some great reporting done here.  Everyone should try seeking it out, hopefully it's making it's way to stores. 

Not sure what you're referring to, Wirestone, about the ani-Mike reaction?  Is it regarding his comments about Brian's health?  His reaction to adding new songs to the set?

I'm thinking the more "I'm going to fake commit suicide over Brian's album-closing suite" bit.

Although the other stuff is good, too.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2012, 08:04:31 PM »

Happy to post a scan, will the moderators jump on me for that tho??

3) Talking about bootlegs is fine. Posting messages asking for bootlegs or offering bootlegs is not fine. That's what private messages and emails are for. The same of course applies to official recordings.

A scan is not a recording, so as long as it doesn't steal from any of our members or the BB...

use Photobucket or something like that, so we can see it in fullsize.

*ahem*

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2012, 08:07:57 PM »

Finished the article and it's really the best "inside look" we're going to get into the tour and getting a sneak peak between Brian and Mike off stage.  Some great reporting done here.  Everyone should try seeking it out, hopefully it's making it's way to stores. 

Not sure what you're referring to, Wirestone, about the ani-Mike reaction?  Is it regarding his comments about Brian's health?  His reaction to adding new songs to the set?

I'm thinking the more "I'm going to fake commit suicide over Brian's album-closing suite" bit.

Although the other stuff is good, too.

Ah that. 

That bothered me slightly, yeah (but that sure was a hilarious reaction).  Regardless of that, I'm glad that Mike and Brian are getting on ok, they seem to be able to balance the tight wire ok and meet the other halfway.

Even though Mike was hesitant to add "Marcella" I'm glad he eventually agreed to add it.  In the video I took at the Beacon of the first time it was performed you can see Mike give Brian a smile and a small thumbs up (00:10 below)...he's clearly grooving on it.  After the song is over Mike realizes that it is in fact a great song and says, "Thanks Brian...that was cool!  You're getting to do songs you don't normally get to!" Brian smiles back at him.  So in the end, he embraced the choice.  Compromise = a successful Beach Boys reunion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5g34uojCvqk&list=UUdmS9B6Qr3lJwYZdQEj5QtQ&index=2&feature=plcp
« Last Edit: June 07, 2012, 08:08:59 PM by Justin » Logged
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2012, 08:13:35 PM »

One of the hardest things in life is to have the Grace to forgive people when they make mistakes.  Mike makes mistakes a lot, it appears Brian has found the grace to forgive him and not hold all the constant little remarks he makes and things agains thim. 
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 07, 2012, 09:08:47 PM »

Well.  It's midnight, and I'm sitting here in the dark with tears streaming down my face because I just read what Brian's last words to Carl were.  Oh my. 
coco1997
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 07, 2012, 09:12:02 PM »

I just read what Brian's last words to Carl were.

Which were?

"I've never been to Mars, but I imagine it's quite lovely."
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 07, 2012, 09:17:13 PM »

Happy to post a scan, will the moderators jump on me for that tho??

3) Talking about bootlegs is fine. Posting messages asking for bootlegs or offering bootlegs is not fine. That's what private messages and emails are for. The same of course applies to official recordings.

A scan is not a recording, so as long as it doesn't steal from any of our members or the BB...

use Photobucket or something like that, so we can see it in fullsize.

*ahem*

Yeah....so anybody gotta scan of this stuff? I wanna read this article, but I don't wanna run to Wal Mart at this time (around midnight) to end up finding out they don't have this issue!
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 07, 2012, 10:17:41 PM »

Deeply impressive piece. This and the Newsweek article are the two about the reunion you need to read.

Let's just say that Mike is not going to have many new fans in boardland after this one, though.

I gotta say it's kinda funny when people are like, "you still think the old Brian is still in there?" to which I'd say "absolutely, just as quirky and interesting as ever, and still making great music!"

However, nobody really asks this about Mike. Myself, I wonder what happened to the guy that I see on performing with the early '70s version of the band, with Blondie, Ricky, et al. I still can relate Alan Jardine to his younger self, same with David, and for as much crap as I give him, even Bruce. It seems that the more open minded Mike was actually just a role he was playing, waiting and hoping for his moment again. And as much as it seems as though his behavior towards Brian is so great these days and whatnot, it is still quite interesting that the guy STILL seems to roll his eyes when "Surf's Up" is proclaimed the band's number one song by a magazine, or when SMiLE is brought up in glowing terms. Or especially in this case, with him apparently being against adding "Marcella" in.

I really don't think the guy wants to acknowledge any era of the band besides '62-'65 and "Kokomo". I think he's been backed into supporting Pet Sounds just because it's kinda unthinkable that anybody would be against that album anymore. It's just too good, and so classy a recording, and just overall to great to dislike. But I don't think Mike really cares for the fact that people go to the shows and wanna hear "This Whole World", "Marcella", "Sail On, Sailor" or "Heroes And Villains". I think as much as he's grown away from that bad attitude he used to have, he still prefers to whitewash the bands career to fit his vision of what it should be. And I think that's a shame. Because, in his quest to be "commercial" and play up what he thinks to be the band's "commercial" material, he probably doesn't realize he's actually alienating a lot of fans and potential fans who are getting into the Pet Sounds through L.A. (Light Album) era, and that it is that material, along with the early stuff, that is making people realize The Beach Boys are one of the greatest bands ever.
startBBtoday
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 07, 2012, 10:33:25 PM »

Deeply impressive piece. This and the Newsweek article are the two about the reunion you need to read.

Let's just say that Mike is not going to have many new fans in boardland after this one, though.

I gotta say it's kinda funny when people are like, "you still think the old Brian is still in there?" to which I'd say "absolutely, just as quirky and interesting as ever, and still making great music!"

However, nobody really asks this about Mike. Myself, I wonder what happened to the guy that I see on performing with the early '70s version of the band, with Blondie, Ricky, et al. I still can relate Alan Jardine to his younger self, same with David, and for as much crap as I give him, even Bruce. It seems that the more open minded Mike was actually just a role he was playing, waiting and hoping for his moment again. And as much as it seems as though his behavior towards Brian is so great these days and whatnot, it is still quite interesting that the guy STILL seems to roll his eyes when "Surf's Up" is proclaimed the band's number one song by a magazine, or when SMiLE is brought up in glowing terms. Or especially in this case, with him apparently being against adding "Marcella" in.

I really don't think the guy wants to acknowledge any era of the band besides '62-'65 and "Kokomo". I think he's been backed into supporting Pet Sounds just because it's kinda unthinkable that anybody would be against that album anymore. It's just too good, and so classy a recording, and just overall to great to dislike. But I don't think Mike really cares for the fact that people go to the shows and wanna hear "This Whole World", "Marcella", "Sail On, Sailor" or "Heroes And Villains". I think as much as he's grown away from that bad attitude he used to have, he still prefers to whitewash the bands career to fit his vision of what it should be. And I think that's a shame. Because, in his quest to be "commercial" and play up what he thinks to be the band's "commercial" material, he probably doesn't realize he's actually alienating a lot of fans and potential fans who are getting into the Pet Sounds through L.A. (Light Album) era, and that it is that material, along with the early stuff, that is making people realize The Beach Boys are one of the greatest bands ever.

I haven't read the article yet, but I've had no problem with Mike on this reunion. When I started thinking of Mike as the guy who doesn't play an instrument, stands up on stage with just a mic, isn't the best singer, was never the heartthrob, got kind of shunned by Brian multiple times as a collaborater, plus went bald in his mid-20s, you can see where some sort of inferiority complex kicks in.

Throughout most of what we all do, we tend to appreciate the things we have involvement in the most. Mike was most heavily involved during the early 60s. Of course he may feel some resentment still over Pet Sounds or Smile tracks, Brian found new lyricists. I'm sure that hurt at the time and still hurts to some degree now.

In Mike's head, he likely justifies it by saying that those are the songs played on the radio as well. And to a certain degree he's absolutely right. Its the 50th anniversary tour, it would be odd for them not to play their biggest hits.

Keep in mind I'm in no way a Mike Love-r. I think he is closed minded and I think he does still shun some of the group's best work. I still love the pre-Pet Sounds work though too, likely more than the rest of this board. So I have no problem hearing Little Douce Coupe over say, She's Goin' Bald.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 07, 2012, 10:36:50 PM »

Mike is Brian's straight man.  If there were no Mike (Or Jeff) Brian would play shortnin' bread for 2 hours.  We'd all love it, but it wouldn't sell many tickets. 

In the article, eventually Mike relents, does what Brian wanted, and admits that it was great. 

In the studio, Brian calls the shots, as should be.  On the stage, Mike calls the shots, as it should be. 
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 07, 2012, 10:42:02 PM »

In the studio, Brian calls the shots, as should be.  On the stage, Mike calls the shots, as it should be. 

Yup that's it!
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 07, 2012, 10:59:41 PM »

I haven't read the article yet, but I've had no problem with Mike on this reunion. When I started thinking of Mike as the guy who doesn't play an instrument, stands up on stage with just a mic, isn't the best singer, was never the heartthrob, got kind of shunned by Brian multiple times as a collaborater, plus went bald in his mid-20s, you can see where some sort of inferiority complex kicks in.

Throughout most of what we all do, we tend to appreciate the things we have involvement in the most. Mike was most heavily involved during the early 60s. Of course he may feel some resentment still over Pet Sounds or Smile tracks, Brian found new lyricists. I'm sure that hurt at the time and still hurts to some degree now.

In Mike's head, he likely justifies it by saying that those are the songs played on the radio as well. And to a certain degree he's absolutely right. Its the 50th anniversary tour, it would be odd for them not to play their biggest hits.

Keep in mind I'm in no way a Mike Love-r. I think he is closed minded and I think he does still shun some of the group's best work. I still love the pre-Pet Sounds work though too, likely more than the rest of this board. So I have no problem hearing Little Douce Coupe over say, She's Goin' Bald.

I definitely agree with you on most (if not all) of that. I can see why Mike would be most appreciative of the songs and era which he was most prominent in. When I used to be in a band, I would always be more excited if somebody complimented me on one of "my" songs rather than the other guy's song, even if it was our same band regardless of which one they liked. So I can dig that.

And yeah, I'm sure none of them would admit it, but I'm sure Mike has a bit of an inferiority complex. And Al probably resents Mike a little bit too, for kicking him out and a few other things. But I'm glad they have stuck together anyways. The way these guys mold their personalities and styles and whatnot is part of what makes the band so great. I prefer The Beach Boys as a group over Brian, Mike, Al, Carl, Dennis, David, Bruce, Blondie, or Ricky solo, no matter how good those solo things may be. The Beach Boys do have that certain *vibration* and it comes through.

But also, at the same time, I'm not saying they shouldn't play nearly ALL of their hits. However, there is still room for classic songs that were not hits, and rather than pick lame cover songs ("Duke of Earl") or semi-cheezball originals ("Summer in Paradise")*, it does make more sense to throw in really good music like "This Whole World" and "Marcella". But maybe Mike still has to learn this, and if apparently he realizes Brian or whoever was right in that instance and owns up to, good on him.

*Yes, I'm aware they aren't playing "Duke of Earl" or "Summer in Paradise" on this tour, but I was just making a point.
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 07, 2012, 11:00:11 PM »

And also, somebody upload the thing!
Dove Nested Towers
Smiley Smile Associate

Goodnight, Mrs. Calabash, wherever you are!

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 08, 2012, 12:41:38 AM »

Yup that's it!

Wrong, NOT the way it should be, at least not to the extent that it is now. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, of course.

"The police aren't there to create disorder,
they're there to preserve disorder!" -Mayor
Daly, Chicago 1968
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: June 08, 2012, 12:53:58 AM »

Well.  It's midnight, and I'm sitting here in the dark with tears streaming down my face because I just read what Brian's last words to Carl were.  Oh my. 
Please elaborate!
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 08, 2012, 04:43:34 AM »

No uploads yet?
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 08, 2012, 06:56:44 AM »

Please elaborate!

I would, but you really kind of have to put it into the context, so I'll just leave it alone.  There's a quote in the article from Joe Thomas about it.  Basically it was a really beautiful Brianism. 
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 08, 2012, 07:58:48 AM »

Please elaborate!

I would, but you really kind of have to put it into the context, so I'll just leave it alone.  There's a quote in the article from Joe Thomas about it.  Basically it was a really beautiful Brianism. 

It's really great that some got to read this article and are critiquing it all around our ignored pleas to post it. Awesome.

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 08, 2012, 08:06:01 AM »

Well, I don't know, maybe you could just go to anyplace that sells magazines, and read it?  "Gimme Gimme Gimme"  Somebody sent me a copy, it's not mine, so I'm not sending it to anybody else.  I shouldn't talk about it until everybody alive has read it? 
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 08, 2012, 08:37:03 AM »

Well, I don't know, maybe you could just go to anyplace that sells magazines, and read it?  "Gimme Gimme Gimme"  Somebody sent me a copy, it's not mine, so I'm not sending it to anybody else.  I shouldn't talk about it until everybody alive has read it?  

Somebody sent you a copy?  Gimme, gimme.  I am going to buy it.  It is not on the news stands yet.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2012, 08:40:33 AM by southbay » Logged

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 08, 2012, 08:40:07 AM »

It is interesting that they keep letting these extremely candid reports. Like they still haven't learnt to wash their dirty laundry privately after the tarmac episode in the late 70s.

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: June 08, 2012, 08:40:44 AM »

Some of us live out in the sticks. Ahhh...hillbilly country...where my 147 IQ is more than double of most of the rest of the population combined.

I am going to buy it.  It is not on the news stands yet.

Yeah...that too.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
ivy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 08, 2012, 08:46:30 AM »

Who is the author for this piece?
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 08, 2012, 09:04:54 AM »

Even though Mike was hesitant to add "Marcella" I'm glad he eventually agreed to add it.  In the video I took at the Beacon of the first time it was performed you can see Mike give Brian a smile and a small thumbs up (00:10 below)...he's clearly grooving on it.  After the song is over Mike realizes that it is in fact a great song and says, "Thanks Brian...that was cool!  You're getting to do songs you don't normally get to!" Brian smiles back at him.  So in the end, he embraced the choice.  Compromise = a successful Beach Boys reunion.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5g34uojCvqk&list=UUdmS9B6Qr3lJwYZdQEj5QtQ&index=2&feature=plcp

Marcella is a song Brian doesn't normally get to do? Brian has been doing it in his solo act for years. Cool about the compromise, though.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 08, 2012, 09:16:33 AM »

Some of us live out in the sticks. Ahhh...hillbilly country...where my 147 IQ is more than double of most of the rest of the population combined.

I am going to buy it.  It is not on the news stands yet.

Yeah...that too.

You actually know your IQ?  Probably should have kept that one private, Billy. 
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 9 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx