gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680752 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 01:53:23 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: "The Fragile Beach Boys Reunion" - Rolling Stone Magazine  (Read 61102 times)
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: June 08, 2012, 11:21:52 PM »

Great article!  Thanks for posting!

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
jeremylr
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: June 08, 2012, 11:33:04 PM »

You're welcome, Awesoman. Finally was able to do 3 image "snips" per article page from Rolling Stone's online archives. Mine hasn't arrived in the mail yet. The writer, Jason Fine, also wrote one of the best profiles on Merle Haggard for the magazine a few years ago.
the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 08, 2012, 11:33:51 PM »

they slightly overplay the Mike vs. Brian on the setlist thing, especially since Mike IS open and deep in his choices, as shown by the concerts and in his filmed RS interview.  The other night at the Bowl he chastened the crowd gently for expecting all hits and defended the deep cuts (that is, in an "in case you wonder why we are doing this song" kind of way--very wonderful).

Brian was not much for "waves of love" but is totally into Daybreak--me too.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: June 09, 2012, 12:22:23 AM »

Excellent reason why Brian was anti-"WOL" - it's just not good enough.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
NightHider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 09, 2012, 12:30:09 AM »

No RS cover for the BB 50th wins me a bet here at the house.  Although it's a nice article, me thinks it is Rolling Stone that has become irrelevant.... and long ago.

Here's an email to direct a note about your delight that RS passed on a Beach Boys cover for this issue:

letters@rollingstone.com
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 09, 2012, 12:51:48 AM »

"Waves of Loves" is undercooked. It's perhaps the genesis of a good song, but it feels incomplete now. The chorus melody goes on for too long considering what it is, for example.  Brian and the boys probably could've whipped it into shape, but they already had good songs in the can they could use instead.
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 09, 2012, 12:54:40 AM »

Interesting, too, that it was Joe Thomas's chords on "Think About the Days" that convinced Mike that Brian still had the talent. Of course, Mike goes on to praise the vocal arrangement of that song, but it's still funny that he's still unaware that Thomas wrote the chords.
Jonathan Blum
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 09, 2012, 01:02:30 AM »

"Surf Freezes Over".  Friendship defrosted.

Brian as astronaut, or GPS.

Dennis and Mike's pants.

Mike's mock suicide -- yeah, I can understand where he's coming from, but I'd never dare -- and case of LSD.

John Stamos loving "Summer's Gone".

Mike's self-knowledge.

"...I think maybe I'll just stay."

This article is just packed with utter gems.  Thousands of thanks to the interviewer -- and I'll be sure to buy my own copy!

Cheers,
Jon BLum
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 09, 2012, 02:10:24 AM »

Thanks for uploading! That's a really great article

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
ArchStanton
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 09, 2012, 06:26:18 AM »

Brian's bit about "Kokomo" is too funny.  This thing is filled with Brian-isms- the conversation on the plane was a lot of fun.  "I'm a in a rock group.  We're called the Beach Boys."
jeremylr
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #85 on: June 09, 2012, 06:58:39 AM »

One of my favorite parts: After Mike says he couldn't dream of not performing their biggest hits in concert, Brian is asked for his vision for the Beach Boys' tour: "I'd like to scare people a little." Just wish he had convinced Mike to do Add Some Music To Your Day & Marcella a little earlier in the tour, since I missed it...
« Last Edit: June 09, 2012, 07:01:00 AM by jeremylr » Logged
JohnMill
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: June 09, 2012, 07:01:23 AM »

Brian's vision for the Beach Boys' tour: "I'd like to scare people a little." Love this line.

Didn't he say something similar back in 66' about "SMiLE"?

The article itself brings up a great deal of emotions for me.  To make it short and sweet, I really hope that no matter where their careers take them professionally that The Beach Boys remain on good terms from here on out.  They established a wonderful legacy together and shouldn't spend the rest of their lives fighting it out in courtrooms over trivial issues.  I also think when we are speaking about Brian Wilson specifically my feeling is he can only benefit by reconnecting with his old mates because as of late they seem to bring out a great deal of positivity in him which is obviously a good thing so hopefully that continues. 
« Last Edit: June 09, 2012, 07:08:48 AM by JohnMill » Logged

God Bless California
For It Marks My Faith To See
You're The Only State With The Sacred Honor
....to sink into the sea
ArchStanton
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: June 09, 2012, 09:10:58 AM »

I don't think I've ever read a magazine feature twice in a short span, but I plan on reading this again today.  Just fantastic.
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: June 09, 2012, 10:23:37 AM »

Some great Brian quotes in there, the plane etc.
Mike still comes off as a pompous ass at times, I think he has mellowed and gets things more but it seems like he can't help himself.
I feel bad for Al. You will always have the Brian/Mike rivalry and all that entails but Al is not a part of that. He's still stuck in between. He's gonna back Brian push comes to shove for sure.  Al misses Carl and Dennis to an extent more on this tour than any of the other guys. Obviously Brian does, but in a different way. Al is having fun on stage but the BB were always Brian in 1 direction, Mike the opposite and the others in between and now it's just Al in between and that's gotta be sad.  Dave wasn't there for that dynamic, it's not his fault and I don't know how to read Bruce. He's frighteningly loyal to Mike it seems.
Doo Dah
Smiley Smile Associate

One man's troll is another man's freedom fighter.

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: June 09, 2012, 11:26:55 AM »

Great read. By the way, no reason to disparage the Newsweek piece - it succeeded on other levels (the studio and tour rehearsals). The Stone piece gives great insight into the great balancing act of this tour.

And poor Al. He's gone from a man waiting on a bus, to a man sleeping on a bus. 

AGD is gone.
AGD is gone.
Heigh ho the derry-o
AGD is gone
SG7
« Reply #90 on: June 09, 2012, 11:30:10 AM »

Well written article. Kind of in the same vein as the Newsweek one, not wearing rose colored glasses for this. Has anyone noticed how the touring band seems to be in a sort of negative light after reading those articles?
JohnMill
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: June 09, 2012, 11:31:42 AM »

Well written article. Kind of in the same vein as the Newsweek one, not wearing rose colored glasses for this. Has anyone noticed how the touring band seems to be in a sort of negative light after reading those articles?

It seems with this band that somebody ALWAYS has to be the villain doesn't it?  Roll Eyes 

God Bless California
For It Marks My Faith To See
You're The Only State With The Sacred Honor
....to sink into the sea
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: June 09, 2012, 11:49:29 AM »

Great article. Thanks for posting.
My favorite was the words Brian said to Carl. Wow.

Weird how Mike told Brian not to worry about having another beer and then later expressed concern about Brian's weight and lack of exercise.
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #93 on: June 09, 2012, 12:07:21 PM »

Weird how Mike told Brian not to worry about having another beer and then later expressed concern about Brian's weight and lack of exercise.

Especially classy to express such concern to a guy writing a Rolling Stone article... while also working in the death of Murry and intestinal details. I can almost picture Melinda reading that out loud and fuming as Brian stares into space. Altho in Love's defense, I bet we've all worried about his recent health too!

Clearly the whole back problem bizness f*cked his exercise regime and it's back to steak and cake.

he did flee the stage pretty nimbly in Irvine and wasn't assisted, tho.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2012, 12:10:54 PM by ontor pertawst » Logged
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: June 09, 2012, 12:15:01 PM »

Especially classy to express such concern to a guy writing a Rolling Stone article... while also working in the death of Murry and intestinal details. I can almost picture Melinda reading that out loud and fuming as Brian stares into space. Altho in Love's defense, I bet we've all worried about his recent health too!

Clearly the whole back problem bizness f*cked his exercise regime and it's back to steak and cake.

he did flee the stage pretty nimbly in Irvine and wasn't assisted, tho.

I was at both the H. Bowl and Irvine, as well as Opening day at Dodger Stadium.  Brian is moving MUCH better now, there is really no comparison at all. And speaking of concern over Brian's health and weight, I am sure we all have that.  He is indeed over weight.  However, it was a BIT of an irony for Love to talk about Brian's weight, wasn't it?

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: June 09, 2012, 12:47:21 PM »

I take issue with that, Andrew. So "Waves of Love" isn't good enough, but "Daybreak Over The Ocean" and "Beaches In Mind" are totally worthy?
urbanite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: June 09, 2012, 12:49:31 PM »

Bad back and all, he can ride an exercise bike, and maybe cut back on the calories a little.  I was struck by how fat-in-the-face Brian looked, not good.

With all that free time they have between gigs, I wonder if they ever try to write some new material.

ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #97 on: June 09, 2012, 12:56:52 PM »

Being shlepped around on buses and doing radio shows and interviews constantly isn't exactly the best environment to write new material.
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: June 09, 2012, 01:07:12 PM »

I take issue with that, Andrew. So "Waves of Love" isn't good enough, but "Daybreak Over The Ocean" and "Beaches In Mind" are totally worthy?

I don't like either of the songs you mention, but I do think they're both better than Waves Of Love.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: June 09, 2012, 01:10:36 PM »

Some great Brian quotes in there, the plane etc.
Mike still comes off as a pompous ass at times, I think he has mellowed and gets things more but it seems like he can't help himself.
I feel bad for Al. You will always have the Brian/Mike rivalry and all that entails but Al is not a part of that. He's still stuck in between. He's gonna back Brian push comes to shove for sure.  Al misses Carl and Dennis to an extent more on this tour than any of the other guys. Obviously Brian does, but in a different way. Al is having fun on stage but the BB were always Brian in 1 direction, Mike the opposite and the others in between and now it's just Al in between and that's gotta be sad.  Dave wasn't there for that dynamic, it's not his fault and I don't know how to read Bruce. He's frighteningly loyal to Mike it seems.

I think it's like

Brian and his merry band of supporters, Jeff, half the band, etc.

Mike, Bruce, and their couple guys

Al kind of by himself, but everybody gets on with him although they don't show him too much respect

Dave, who everybody shows respect but kind of just 'is' there. 
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx