gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680774 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 23, 2024, 02:31:09 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: "The Fragile Beach Boys Reunion" - Rolling Stone Magazine  (Read 61202 times)
Eireannach
Smiley Smile Associate

bedårar

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: June 09, 2012, 08:55:17 PM »

Great post, Wirestone.  Brian is as sly as a fox, and it's wonderful to get a little peek at the interpersonal dynamics going on and to see how Brian is in total command of the situation.

Does anyone else get the feeling from that article that they did not have Marcella in the setlist for the second Beacon show and Brian didn't care and started it anyway?  I would be surprised if he went and told the guys from his backing band but no one else. LOL
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: June 09, 2012, 08:58:58 PM »

Yeah, I agree Wirestone.  

Something I've always been appreciative of, and always thought held true... was that all of the beach boys, and especially Mike, absolutely WORSHIP Brian more than even we fans do.  All of them.  Period.  I mean, gushing, profound, over the top, "Oh my god he's just like Jesus Christ" type admiration.  

Even when he was pretty damn gone, they'd drop everything they were doing and come running at his beckon call to record... "Ding Dang" or whatever.  

The impression ultimately that I've gotten, from all kinds of articles like this, from books, from anctedotes, everything... is that all of the Beach Boys, Mike, Carl, Dennis, Al, Dave, and Bruce... love nothing more in life than sitting in a room and having Brian Wilson tell them what to sing.  

Well, I think this is true sometimes. Problems tended to crop up when you had competing artistic visions for the band, especially during the post Endless Summer era, when Mike had very clear ideas about where to go, Carl and Dennis had other ideas, and Brian was off in his own little world. Given that they're free of outside influences now -- and Brian is the only one of them regularly recording Beach Boys-sounding music -- there is much less conflict over creative direction. As terrible as it is to say, Carl's death basically cleared the way for Brian to lead the band again.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2012, 08:59:51 PM by Wirestone » Logged
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: June 09, 2012, 09:18:14 PM »

What an absolutely incredible article about the most fascinating band ever

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: June 09, 2012, 09:31:05 PM »

And as much as it seems as though his behavior towards Brian is so great these days and whatnot, it is still quite interesting that the guy STILL seems to roll his eyes when "Surf's Up" is proclaimed the band's number one song by a magazine, or when SMiLE is brought up in glowing terms. Or especially in this case, with him apparently being against adding "Marcella" in.

Wait, when did the first two happen? As for "Marcella", hey, he was hesitant but opted to give it a shot and is seemingly glad he made the call to do so. What's wrong with that?

Edit: The article doesn't even say Mike was opposed to it.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2012, 10:17:14 PM by runnersdialzero » Logged

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Jonathan Blum
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: June 09, 2012, 09:35:53 PM »

Mike, for all of his bravado, clearly now respects that Brian has a career and power base of his own, something he never had while in the band. Mike essentially has no leverage over his cousin anymore -- in fact, Brian has all the power in the reunion, and has not been hesitant to use it.

Which is fascinating -- but also notice how the scene in the restaurant plays out, with Brian diffidently suggesting new songs for the setlist saying it's on advice from his family.  He may well have power, but he's not going to outright assert it!

Cheers,
Jon Blum
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: June 09, 2012, 09:36:51 PM »

I like how he says "Oh Michael" LOL 
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: June 09, 2012, 09:47:29 PM »

Mike, for all of his bravado, clearly now respects that Brian has a career and power base of his own, something he never had while in the band. Mike essentially has no leverage over his cousin anymore -- in fact, Brian has all the power in the reunion, and has not been hesitant to use it.

Which is fascinating -- but also notice how the scene in the restaurant plays out, with Brian diffidently suggesting new songs for the setlist saying it's on advice from his family.  He may well have power, but he's not going to outright assert it!

Cheers,
Jon Blum

That's what makes Brian Brian! He's not going to say it's what he wants. He has to sidle up to it. But it's not like -- at this point -- he's fooling anyone. That's what I find really funny about it -- of course he wants to play these songs. But bides his time until Mike has a bad night (which the night with Stamos was, certainly) and then he magically gets what he wants the next day. For both songs! No one can accuse him of pushing too hard -- yet it all manages to fall precisely in the places he wants it to.
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: June 10, 2012, 07:32:14 AM »

That has to be the greatest line ever spoken accidentally by a living being:

"I think I'm gonna stay a while..." in the context, it has unlimited meaning...

BRIAN. YOU ARE STILL A GENIUS.

PhilSpectre
Smiley Smile Associate

May You Never Hear Surf Music ... Again

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: June 10, 2012, 08:16:30 AM »

Just watch the show, and see who gets respect and who doesn't.  That's all I'm saying.  Dave gets respect, Al gets the "oh, gee, you again?" treatment in interviews, on stage, Brian kicking him off his tour, Mike suing him and generally relegating him to permanent back bencher status, Brian leaving the room when Al wants to record, reporters writing about how Al can't flush a toilet, people posting videos up of Al forgetting words, Brian staring Al down when he messed up, etc. 

Dave gets none of that. 

I'm not saying it's right or wrong, I was just making the observation that it appears, everybody views Al as a bit of an inferior member they can push around, whereas they never show Dave any of that.  Nothing but respect for his guitar work, etc. 

One or two thoughts re. apparent respect or lack of for Al and Dave -

Al is very prominent on the new album and is in great voice (especially on From There to Back Again). Dave, to my knowledge, while apparently playing guitar on several tracks, is to me inaudible in the mix and appears to not even get a special featured spot anywhere on the album. For that matter, I can only hear one passage where Bruce has a lead vocal bit.

Both Al and Dave are featured prominently in the live shows however. Personally, I think because Brian knows Al is still a great singer, and with no Carl around anymore in the blend, I think he expects more vocally from Al onstage and in the studio, which is why it might seem that Al gets a little more criticism at times. 

I really like the new album, but do wish we could have heard a little more from Bruce in the vocals and that Dave was featured properly, as he is billed as an official member. Meanwhile, Jeffrey Foskett (who, as a falsetto singer is a little shrill for my tastes but whom I have no beef against) is featured as a de facto essential group member on the new album, filling in Brian's old high parts and most of the spot mid-range where Carl would be. To be a little controversial perhaps, I think Jeff should be viewed as a 'proper' Beach Boy on this album, as, after Brian, Mike and Al, he seems to be the most prominent voice on the album, even taking the odd lead part here and there.

And, judging by both the new album and that wonderful RS article, it really is amazing how much power Brian now has in the group again. He really does seem to be 'the boss' again musically speaking  Smiley 

Oh yeah, and I love Brian's comments to Mike re. Kokomo when they were in Florida. Classic Brian/ Mike banter  Grin
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #134 on: June 10, 2012, 10:14:56 AM »

Thanks for posting the article !!

I love how Brian - after Scott Totten says they couldn't do "Marcella" bacuase thy don't know it yet - goes "My guys know it. We can do it."
It shows how important those guys are to Brian. He trusts them and knows that they'll be up for it if he wants to do something out of the air. I believe I've seen videos of "Marcella" being performed and Cowsill wasn't on drums but someone from Brian's band. Now I know why.

BTW if this should sound like a stab from my side against Scott Totten and John Cowsill, it shouldn't sound that way. Those two guys are great and very important for the great sound the Beach Boys' band brings to us on this special tour

And I think Mike's earlier "Whaaat ?!" about "Marcella" was more like "You want us to do this song tomorrow without having it rehearsed ?!" and not "You want us to do that piece of sh!t ?"
« Last Edit: June 10, 2012, 10:20:38 AM by Rocker » Logged

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: June 10, 2012, 10:37:48 AM »

I seem to recall that Dave had hepatitis, right? It was diagnosed around the time he had rejoined the band, and he had to take some time out for treatment.

Not sure what relevance that has...

I thought you were suggesting that Mike's joking onstage and causing a rift is what drove David from the band in the late '90s.

No. This was 2008 or 2009 aprox. David got over it before the reunion. Carrie said so in a reply to my comment.

Regardin Brian dissing Alan's song, I guess for him it's bussiness as usual. Don't you think that Brian's job as a producer, since his early 20s has been dissing other people's ideas? Not that he necessarily likes to do it, that I don't know. But he certainly does it; it's his job.

The thing is Brian is the boss, and since we tend to think he is not, we find those stories surprising. But don't you think that Al and the rest of the guys have been trying to push their songs into the albums forever?

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: June 10, 2012, 10:58:21 AM »

Just watch the show, and see who gets respect and who doesn't.  That's all I'm saying.  Dave gets respect, Al gets the "oh, gee, you again?" treatment in interviews, on stage, Brian kicking him off his tour, Mike suing him and generally relegating him to permanent back bencher status, Brian leaving the room when Al wants to record, reporters writing about how Al can't flush a toilet, people posting videos up of Al forgetting words, Brian staring Al down when he messed up, etc. 

Dave gets none of that. 

I'm not saying it's right or wrong, I was just making the observation that it appears, everybody views Al as a bit of an inferior member they can push around, whereas they never show Dave any of that.  Nothing but respect for his guitar work, etc. 

One or two thoughts re. apparent respect or lack of for Al and Dave -

Al is very prominent on the new album and is in great voice (especially on From There to Back Again). Dave, to my knowledge, while apparently playing guitar on several tracks, is to me inaudible in the mix and appears to not even get a special featured spot anywhere on the album. For that matter, I can only hear one passage where Bruce has a lead vocal bit.

Both Al and Dave are featured prominently in the live shows however. Personally, I think because Brian knows Al is still a great singer, and with no Carl around anymore in the blend, I think he expects more vocally from Al onstage and in the studio, which is why it might seem that Al gets a little more criticism at times. 

I really like the new album, but do wish we could have heard a little more from Bruce in the vocals and that Dave was featured properly, as he is billed as an official member. Meanwhile, Jeffrey Foskett (who, as a falsetto singer is a little shrill for my tastes but whom I have no beef against) is featured as a de facto essential group member on the new album, filling in Brian's old high parts and most of the spot mid-range where Carl would be. To be a little controversial perhaps, I think Jeff should be viewed as a 'proper' Beach Boy on this album, as, after Brian, Mike and Al, he seems to be the most prominent voice on the album, even taking the odd lead part here and there.

And, judging by both the new album and that wonderful RS article, it really is amazing how much power Brian now has in the group again. He really does seem to be 'the boss' again musically speaking  Smiley 

Oh yeah, and I love Brian's comments to Mike re. Kokomo when they were in Florida. Classic Brian/ Mike banter  Grin

I am still hoping for a track by track analysis of Dave's playing on the 7 songs he is credited with. Who has good enough ears to do this?  Liner notes aside, I am sure he's singing as well. Some omission fails to reflect that but,. . . .

I hear Bruce everywhere on the album--everywhere, though his leads are confined to part of SV, TWGMTR and Isnt It Time. parts
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #137 on: June 10, 2012, 03:41:34 PM »

Read the article, lots of interesting stuff. Interesting setlist "politics." I think it's interesting that Mike is very into doing more well-known songs, yet I would assume it's at his insistence that they do "It's OK." I know it was a minor "hit" as the second single from 15BO. But at this point, even semi-casual fans might know something off of "Pet Sounds" or "Smile" better than "It's OK."

It sounds like they are all talking about the setlist being more contentious than it actually is contentious. Think about it, a typical BB show in the 90's was around 30 songs or so. They are doing 45-47 songs give or take on this tour. That gives them plenty or room to do the well-known stuff and some deeper cuts.

Mike does seem to overcompensate for his perceived notion that the audience will just up and walk about if they hear too many "non hits." Yeah, if you come out and do the entire new album and then play "MIU" and "Summer in Paradise" and leave the stage, that might become an issue.

But you're playing most of the freaking songs on every greatest hits compilations. The audience can handle "Marcella." Someone should do a better job convincing Mike that *some* of the people going to these shows are the fans that have skipped his shows for years and clamor for hearing "Smile" from beginning to end. Really, they don't mind "Add Some Music to Your Day."

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: June 10, 2012, 03:44:15 PM »

I don't get Mike's gesture of putting the gun to his head after hearing the end suite, nor do I get his comments about clouds.

Is he saying it was depressing and it's suicide music??? 
Musketeer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: June 10, 2012, 04:01:19 PM »

Yes
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: June 10, 2012, 04:24:13 PM »

Mike essentially has no leverage over his cousin anymore -- in fact, Brian has all the power in the reunion, and has not been hesitant to use it.

Thank you! I know, Wirestone, that your posts are well thought out and expressed articulately. I hope you don't mind if I refer to this one in the future.

The customers are gonna come - frequently - to visit the office, and they're gonna question - repeatedly - TWGMTR, specifically the production values, the inclusion of "Daybreak Over The Ocean", and Mike's "fun fun fun" lyrics. So, now the people manning the front desks can say, with confidence, "You'll have to speak to the boss, he's in charge, he's the guy responsible.....Mr. Wilson, are you in your office. There's some people out here who have some questions?"
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: June 10, 2012, 04:38:01 PM »

Is he saying it was depressing 

Yes, and of course, it is.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: June 10, 2012, 04:53:47 PM »

I don't get Mike's gesture of putting the gun to his head after hearing the end suite, nor do I get his comments about clouds.

I think that the clouds comment refers to the fact that had he written the lyrics, there would be a touch of hope or positivity to those songs.

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: June 10, 2012, 04:58:10 PM »

I think that the clouds comment refers to the fact that had he written the lyrics, there would be a touch of hope or positivity to those songs.

It's that same Mike Love positivity wherein he suggests that the Brian suite makes him want to shoot himself in the face. They don't call him Mr. Positive Thinker for nothing!
Musketeer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: June 10, 2012, 05:04:47 PM »

Summer's On! (lyrics by M. Love)

Summer's On!
Summer's here to stay
Here today
Just like yesterday

Old friends have gone
They've gone to surf some bitchin' waves
Our dreams hold on
You know we still have more to say
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: June 10, 2012, 05:10:30 PM »

It's that same Mike Love positivity wherein he suggests that the Brian suite makes him want to shoot himself in the face. They don't call him Mr. Positive Thinker for nothing!

It's Joe Thomas's suite too.  Who knows how much of it Brian wrote?  I'm sure that figured in Mike's thinking.  If Mike got to write one line of it and got a songwriting credit for it he wouldn't have had a thing to say about it.
ivy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: June 10, 2012, 06:15:32 PM »

Summer's On!
Summer's here to stay
Here today
Just like yesterday

Old friends have gone
Our dreams hold on

now that's a hit!
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: June 10, 2012, 06:36:48 PM »

Holy crap, Mike really didn't do himself any favors in this article did he

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: June 10, 2012, 06:41:02 PM »

Summer's On!
Summer's here to stay
Here today
Just like yesterday

Old friends have gone
Our dreams hold on

I laughed out loud. Thanks!

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."