gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681022 Posts in 27627 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 16, 2024, 03:25:28 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Not one vocal credit for David Marks on the new album?  (Read 11086 times)
mabewa
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 25, 2012, 01:59:23 AM »

Again...Anyone notice there's a very obvious electric guitar on "Strange World"...but the credits, at least on my advance copy, say there's no guitars on that song. Just sayin' (again).

Yes, there is absolutely an electric guitar on that track.  It's so obvious that I've gone over the credits a few times to make sure that I'm not missing anything.  So, the credits for the album are not entirely accurate--this is fairly typical in my experience (of various bands, not just the Beach Boys).  It's some very nice, subtle stuff, too--would like to know who does it. 

The points made above about it being unlikely that Dave would not be credited if he did any singing make sense.  But it may be that he did so little singing that they didn't want to give him equal credit with the other 5 (including Jeff). 
the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 01, 2012, 11:22:30 PM »

Note that in his discussion with the band in Australia and while on a thread reviewing one show, Jon Blum today reports that Dave is, in fact, singing on Radio (the track and perhaps on more songs, which Jon did not get a change to confirm) and is playing on BIM: the professor had been long maintaining this.  If this is true the liner notes are useless. Now I don't know if it's Dave singing that line I had fixated on, in the refrain, "That's why god {pronounced like the first syllable of "gadget"} but if Dave would sing that line it would sound just like the record. His accent must be a mix of his adopted home in the South Bay and Western PA, where he grew up to 7 (thanks Jon).  Much of the "LA" accent is the product of such middle american migration. Listening to Dave's interviews on "Doing it again" and everywhere else confirms my sense of this. My focus on the topic arises from a desire to perceive correctly the complete participation of all the BB and to make sense of all those promotional videos of him singing.

But of course, just because he IS singing on the song does not mean he's doing that part.  He may be elsewhere and/or low in the mix.

As far as BIM goes, I conclude today that the solo is just not loud enough; the mix is just not right; Dave needs to be way up and the drums down. I love that song, but it needs some doctoring.

In any case, here's to you Dave, my favorite BB. Good to see the true attribution of your labor finally coming to light.
Jonathan Blum
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 02, 2012, 07:42:20 AM »

Note that in his discussion with the band in Australia and while on a thread reviewing one show, Jon Blum today reports that Dave is, in fact, singing on Radio (the track and perhaps on more songs, which Jon did not get a change to confirm) and is playing on BIM: the professor had been long maintaining this.  If this is true the liner notes are useless.

Yeah, Dave specifically said there were errors in the credits.  Sorry, didn't get any more detail than that!

Cheers,
Jon Blum
the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 02, 2012, 10:25:23 AM »

Note that in his discussion with the band in Australia and while on a thread reviewing one show, Jon Blum today reports that Dave is, in fact, singing on Radio (the track and perhaps on more songs, which Jon did not get a change to confirm) and is playing on BIM: the professor had been long maintaining this.  If this is true the liner notes are useless.

Yeah, Dave specifically said there were errors in the credits.  Sorry, didn't get any more detail than that!

Cheers,
Jon Blum

Thanks Jon, we scholars want answers and precision, which I hope we get in detail somehow soon.  As far as the next album, I can't imagine that they would not go it, with I'd go anywhere, waves of love and other cuts--Dave's Stowaway, etc., sitting in the can. Capital would demand a new album, I would hope. In any case, I will not rest until I hear "we are going back in the studio to work on a follow up to TWGMTR," with Bruce saying, "this will be a home run and not a bunt.
the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 02, 2012, 05:00:44 PM »

It sure does add that, and I'll bet it's David Marks playing it.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 02, 2012, 05:01:11 PM »

At the very least, if Dave is singing on the 'IIT' reissue he gets a credit plus any new pressings of the 'Radio' album.
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 02, 2012, 06:09:52 PM »

Note that in his discussion with the band in Australia and while on a thread reviewing one show, Jon Blum today reports that Dave is, in fact, singing on Radio (the track and perhaps on more songs, which Jon did not get a change to confirm) and is playing on BIM: the professor had been long maintaining this.  If this is true the liner notes are useless. Now I don't know if it's Dave singing that line I had fixated on, in the refrain, "That's why god {pronounced like the first syllable of "gadget"} but if Dave would sing that line it would sound just like the record. His accent must be a mix of his adopted home in the South Bay and Western PA, where he grew up to 7 (thanks Jon).  Much of the "LA" accent is the product of such middle american migration. Listening to Dave's interviews on "Doing it again" and everywhere else confirms my sense of this. My focus on the topic arises from a desire to perceive correctly the complete participation of all the BB and to make sense of all those promotional videos of him singing.

But of course, just because he IS singing on the song does not mean he's doing that part.  He may be elsewhere and/or low in the mix.

As far as BIM goes, I conclude today that the solo is just not loud enough; the mix is just not right; Dave needs to be way up and the drums down. I love that song, but it needs some doctoring.

In any case, here's to you Dave, my favorite BB. Good to see the true attribution of your labor finally coming to light.

If you don't mind professor, could you stop referring to yourself in the third person?
Theydon Bois
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 03, 2012, 04:16:00 AM »

Note that in his discussion with the band in Australia and while on a thread reviewing one show, Jon Blum today reports that Dave is, in fact, singing on Radio (the track and perhaps on more songs, which Jon did not get a change to confirm) and is playing on BIM: the professor had been long maintaining this.  If this is true the liner notes are useless. Now I don't know if it's Dave singing that line I had fixated on, in the refrain, "That's why god {pronounced like the first syllable of "gadget"} but if Dave would sing that line it would sound just like the record. His accent must be a mix of his adopted home in the South Bay and Western PA, where he grew up to 7 (thanks Jon).  Much of the "LA" accent is the product of such middle american migration. Listening to Dave's interviews on "Doing it again" and everywhere else confirms my sense of this. My focus on the topic arises from a desire to perceive correctly the complete participation of all the BB and to make sense of all those promotional videos of him singing.

But of course, just because he IS singing on the song does not mean he's doing that part.  He may be elsewhere and/or low in the mix.

If you don't mind professor, could you stop referring to yourself in the third person?

I've always imagined that when he reads the threads, he forgets which one of the posters is him, and accidentally winds up agreeing with himself.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2012, 05:38:22 AM by Theydon Bois » Logged
Slow In Brain
Smiley Smile Associate

Rainbow Eyes

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 03, 2012, 04:47:24 AM »

Just how many of these "professors" are there ?

"When the time comes an American can't tell the truth because the Government doesn't, that's the time to give the country back to the Indians, if they'll have it." - Sam Holland

"What draws us all closer and makes us all care. Is not what we have, but the things that we share." - Jill Wolf
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: September 03, 2012, 12:50:46 PM »

This country was founded on a love of freedom and speaking in the third person.

Altho, some people with clipboards call it Third Person Communication Disorder!

http://www.amazon.com/Introduction-Communication-Disorders-Lifespan-Perspective/dp/0205487874

Either that or you're Mr. T...

... or Salvador Dali.

Still, ontor pertawst is reportedly glad to hear more details of Marks' contributions.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2012, 01:04:10 PM by ontor pertawst » Logged
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx