gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680747 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 01:24:43 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rank the tracks on the new album.  (Read 14587 times)
Sunflowerpet
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 06, 2012, 01:12:45 PM »

1.Summer's Gone (This song is what I call a Masterpiece, beautiful and moving)
 2.Isn't it Time (Brian, Bruce, Al and Mike sharing lead vocals in the catchiest track of the album)
 3.From There to Back Again (it reminds me the feel and spirit of Surf's Up)
 4.The Private Life of Bill and Sue (the chorus and Bruce's "ooohh" falsetto makes me shiver)
 5.Strange World (Pet sounds mood)
 6.Shelter
 7.Think About the Days
 8.Pacific Coast Highway
 9.TWGMTR
10.Spring Vacation
11.Daybreak Over The Ocean
12.Beaches in Mind
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 06, 2012, 01:22:51 PM »

1. Pacific Coast Highway (a future classic)
2. From There to Back Again
3. The Private Life of Bill and Sue (can't help it...)
4. Think About the Days
5. Strange World (sweet and actually quite touching... very TLOS!)
6. Summer's Gone
7. Shelter
8. TWGMTR
9. Isn't It Time
10. Spring Vacation (music has really grown on me!)
11. Daybreak Over the Ocean
12. Beaches in Mind

Last two are actually the only ones I don't really care for.
Catbirdman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 06, 2012, 01:43:12 PM »

9/10
1. Summer's Gone

8/10
2. That's Why God Made The Radio
3. From There To Back Again
4. Isn't It Time

7/10
5. Pacific Coast Highway

6/10
6. Strange World
7. Spring Vacation
8. Think About The Days

5/10
9. Shelter
10. Daybreak Over The Ocean

4/10
11. Beaches In Mind

2/10
12. The Private Life Of Bill And Sue
« Last Edit: June 06, 2012, 01:50:30 PM by Catbirdman » Logged

My real name is Peter Aaron Beyer. I live in Baltimore, Maryland, USA.
Eireannach
Smiley Smile Associate

bedårar

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 06, 2012, 02:03:18 PM »

I hate having to try to pin these down, but I'll give it a shot"

1. Pacific Coast Highway - This is a perfect song. (10/10)

2. Shelter - I liked this from the moment I heard the Amazon samples, and it only got better from there.  Very catchy and I love what's going on in the background in the chorus.  (8/10)
3. Summer's Gone - The harmonies are so beautiful.  I woke up today with this in my head. (7/10)
4. Daybreak Over the Ocean - The opening vocals just bring a smile to my face.  I am surprised I like this so much, but I have played it more often then everything else below it. (7/10)
5. Think About the Days - This is a wonderful opener, but I really wish it opened the B-side instead. (6.5/10)
6. TWGMTR - This is a very catchy song, but I sort of burned out on it since the single came out. (6.5/10)

7. From There to Back Again - This is very good song and I hate ranking it near the middle, but I just enjoy the above tracks more. (6/10)
8. Spring Vacation - Aside from the name checking of old songs, this is a really fun song.  I really like the melody lines and the hand off of vocals between Mike and Brian. (6/10)

9. The Private Life of Bill and Sue - This song would be higher except for the goofy lyrics.  It reminds me a lot of Two For The Price of One by ABBA, which is a wonderful piece of music that is brought down a notch or two by the lyrics. (5/10)
11. Strange World - I like this song, but it doesn't do much to me one way or another. (5/10)
10. Isn't It Time - I find myself singing along with this, and I enjoy Jeff's part on the bridge, but otherwise this song is just okay for me. (5/10)

12. Beaches in Mind - I skip this song most times.  I still find myself singing along when I don't, but this song seems like it was tacked on.  There's just not much to it. (2/10)
oldsurferdude
« Reply #54 on: June 06, 2012, 02:23:06 PM »

Listening to the cd and DOTO starts and it's the cringeworthy SIP all over again.  Shocked
Oldsurferdude, do you always skip over Mike songs, or do you find Mike tolerable when his talents are in service to Brian's compositions? Just curious.
Fair question. Thought Myke's lead vocals were good when I was in high school(62-66) although I always gravitated toward the Wilsons and Al. I was relieved when Carl took more leads and Myke was relegated more to the bvs. Yeah, I know, AIWD is wonderful and all but quite honestly I just don't play the stuff I liked in high school with any abundance-moved on. Listen to SG-that's where Myke can stay-buried in the mix and yes, I most definitely skip DOTO on the new album.
b00ts
Smiley Smile Associate

Greldont

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: June 06, 2012, 02:46:10 PM »

Listening to the cd and DOTO starts and it's the cringeworthy SIP all over again.  Shocked
Oldsurferdude, do you always skip over Mike songs, or do you find Mike tolerable when his talents are in service to Brian's compositions? Just curious.
Fair question. Thought Myke's lead vocals were good when I was in high school(62-66) although I always gravitated toward the Wilsons and Al. I was relieved when Carl took more leads and Myke was relegated more to the bvs. Yeah, I know, AIWD is wonderful and all but quite honestly I just don't play the stuff I liked in high school with any abundance-moved on. Listen to SG-that's where Myke can stay-buried in the mix and yes, I most definitely skip DOTO on the new album.
Thanks, OSD. It's interesting to hear your perspective. Yes, "All I Wanna Do" is exhibit "A" for Mike Love possessing talent as a composer and a different kind of singer. It's a shame that he hasn't really expanded upon this style since.

I like Mike's work, but I am first and foremost a fan of Brian's compositions, Brian's production, and also the compositions of the other Wilsons brothers. I've seen Brian live a number of times and his solo career over the past decade has been thrilling. I love Al as well, and I'd have killed to see a Brian and Al concert (who needs Mike?) before the reunion was announced.

However, one thing that really struck me when I saw The Beach Boys C50 tour is that Mike is a consummate frontman. Without Mike, this aspect of The Beach Boys would be sorely missed. There is a lot to make fun of and find fault with in Mike - his mannerisms, the gold rings on his fingers, the lecherous vibe, his sense of humor - but I'll be damned if Mike Love isn't one of the top people in the world at his job, being a frontman for a live band. He makes it look easy, but it's not.

This is especially crazy to me because Mike is likely the least musically talented person on that stage; he is not even the best singer on stage, and he is surrounded by talented people who absolutely destroy at their jobs. Still, not one of them could do Mike's job the as effectively as he does it, and for the record, I love Brian and Al's solo shows. Love him or hate him, I don't think Mike gets enough credit for this.

Anyway, thanks for the reply. I'm not going to try to change your opinion of Mike... sorry, Myk... and perhaps it is deserved. Still, when I saw them live, I was struck by how important Mike was for the band.

- B00ts
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 06, 2012, 07:51:54 PM »

The songs I LOVE!
1.  Summer's Gone- If this ends up being the last Beach Boys song ever, I'm okay with that.
2.  Pacific Coast Highway- Lyrically, this knocked me off my feet. So simiple, yet it nearly had me in tears.
3.  Shelter- This has everything I look for in a song. Catchy yet charming melodies, simple yet sincere lyrics and beautiful harmonies.
4.  Isn't It Time- It has a Ukulele. Need I express my love for this song any further? Cheesy
5.  That's Why God Made The Radio- Catchy, but not annoying. Some interesting lyrical choices. I really love the "whole new generation" part, and as Mike said "it's got every chord ever invented!" LOL
The Songs I Like...
6.  Think About The Days- Nice opener, almost like a warmup for whats to come, well played boys.
7.  From There To Back Again- Nice ballad, sung beautifull by Al. But what is the hype over this? Am I missing something?
8.  The Private Life of Bill and Sue- I didn't like this until the last stanza from the voiceover guy, think it is hillarious!
The Songs I don't like..... Sad
9.  Spring Vacation- Cheese.
10.Strange World- Cheese.
11.Beaches in Mind- Gorgonzola up in here.
12.Daybreak Over The Ocean- I couldn't even listen to this whole song...easily the worst on there.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 06, 2012, 08:14:05 PM »

1. Spring Vacation
2. From There and Back Again

3. Strange World
4. Isn't It Time
5. Pacific Coast Highway
6. Summer's Gone
7. That's Why God Made the Radio
8. Think About the Days

9. The Private Life of Bill and Sue
10. Shelter

11. Daybreak Over the Ocean
12. Beaches in Mind
« Last Edit: June 06, 2012, 08:21:59 PM by Ron » Logged
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 06, 2012, 08:16:27 PM »

Do we all agree that Daybreak is the best ML solo song to ever grace a BB album?

No, HELL no.  You'd have to ignore Big Sur, right?  Big Sur kicks this song's ass in every, every way.  EVERY way. 
MBE
« Reply #59 on: June 06, 2012, 08:36:26 PM »

1. "Think About the Days"   8/10
2. "That's Why God Made the Radio"  7.5/10
3. "Isn't It Time"  8.5/10
4. "Spring Vacation"   8.5/10
5. "The Private Life of Bill and Sue"  5/10
6. "Shelter"  7/10
7. "Daybreak Over the Ocean"   7.5/10
8. "Beaches in Mind"  6/10
9. "Strange World" 8/10
10. "From There to Back Again" 9/10
11. "Pacific Coast Highway"  9.5/10
12. "Summer's Gone"   9.5/10

Quick thoughts the singing is great, and the production is very natural. As a First Edition fan it's nice that their short term piano player John Hobbs is all over it.  The harmoinies are very well layered and nothing (except for the Jimmy Buffett vibe on Bill and Sue) seems at all off. David does make his presence felt in the music especally on "Isn't It Time". Brian's voice over the last five years has really gotten to where he sounds like Brian Wilson again minus of course the higher parts. Al and Mike sound great with no nasal crap from the latter. Nothing seems to be a real rehash and though they could have left off a few of the song title mentions there isn't anything that makes them seem like a retread. It's not up to 1961-72 standards but it's easily the most even album they have done since Holland? Don't they sound good together? They really do need each other to play off of to get the best vocal results. While I wish the best of Postcard and TLOS would have been held for this, it is a fine album. I can hardly wait for the vinyl, and this is first post Holland album I wouldn't hesitate to play for people (not counting the best of Brian and Dennis' solo work). The last three songs are very much the heart of the album. These are up to pre 15 Big Ones quality and the first really emotional Beach Boys songs since the Dennis leads (bar Shortining Bread) and Good Timin on L.A. Light. Never thought I would see this happen and I never thought it would be done so well if it did. Joe Thomas still hasn't completely won me over but I have to say I never thought he could write as well as he has here. Again I would like to say the production, arrangements, vocals are by and large impressive. Not a masterpiece but it's a respectable, polished, and creative Beach Boys album. We haven't had one since Holland.

Sea Devil
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: June 07, 2012, 02:04:19 AM »

1. From There To Back Again
2. Summer's Gone
3. Isn't It Time
4. Pacific Coast Highway
5. Strange World
6. Shelter
7. TWGMTR
8. TPLOBAS
9. Think About The Days
10. Spring Vacation

all those were pretty close compared to
11. Daybreak
12. Beaches in Mind

Still Lurkin'
tansen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 07, 2012, 02:50:24 AM »

I'll take 'Daybreak Over The Ocean' over 'Beaches in Mind' and 'Spring Vacation' any day. The latter I actually have to skip when listening through the album.

Tansen - "He Who Commands an Army of Notes"
Too Much Sugar
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 07, 2012, 03:08:15 AM »

As of now:

1.  From There To Back Again
2.  Summer's Gone
3.  Pacific Coast Highway
4.  Think About The Days
5.  Isn't It Time
6.  That's Why God Made The Radio
7.  Shelter
8.  Strange World
9.  Daybreak Over The Ocean
10.  Spring Vacation
11.  The Private Life Of Bill And Sue
12.  Beaches In Mind
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 07, 2012, 03:09:24 AM »

Just a note: those of you who haven't put Pacific Coast Highway at Number 1 (10/10), and Summer's Gone (10/10) at Number 2 can revise your lists later with no shame attached!!!

Grin

“We live in divisive times.”
Quzi
Smiley Smile Associate

Eagerly awaiting tHe BeDRoOM TaPES

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 07, 2012, 03:10:47 AM »

From There to Back Again

Summer's Gone
Pacific Coast Highway

Isn't It Time
Think About the Days

That's Why God Made the Radio
Shelter
Strange World

Spring Vacation
Daybreak Over the Ocean
The Private Life of Bill and Sue

Beaches in Mind
« Last Edit: June 07, 2012, 03:11:49 AM by Quzi » Logged

"A/S/L"?
"Age:24. That's when Brian Wilson made Pet Sounds. Sex: Brian Wilson was having loads of sex with Marilyn when he made Pet Sounds. Location: Gold Star Studios, where Brian Wilson assembled with the Wrecking Crew to make Pet Sounds. Hbu?"
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: June 07, 2012, 03:52:29 AM »

From There To Back Again
Pacific Coast Highway
Summer's Gone
Think About the Days
Strange World
Isn't It Time
That's Why God Made The Radio
Spring Vacation (GP)
Shelter
Daybreak Over The Ocean
Beaches In Mind
The Private Life Of Bill And Sue

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 07, 2012, 04:05:47 AM »

From There to Back Again

Summer's Gone
Pacific Coast Highway

Isn't It Time
Think About the Days

Shelter
Strange World

Spring Vacation
Daybreak Over the Ocean

Beaches in Mind

This is basically mine.

Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 07, 2012, 04:26:54 AM »

Pacific Coast Highway

Summer's Gone

Think about the Days

Isn't it Time

Spring Vacation

Daybreak Over the Ocean

From There to Back Again

Shelter

Beaches in Mind

Strange World

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
MBE
« Reply #68 on: June 07, 2012, 04:41:30 AM »

From There To Back Again
Pacific Coast Highway
Summer's Gone
Think About the Days
Strange World
Isn't It Time
That's Why God Made The Radio
Spring Vacation (GP)
Shelter
Daybreak Over The Ocean
Beaches In Mind
The Private Life Of Bill And Sue
About the same as me. What's GP mean?
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: June 07, 2012, 04:47:20 AM »

Guilty Pleasure.  Grin

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Wylson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 07, 2012, 04:59:02 AM »

I don't get the pacific ocean highway love - to me it's the weak part of the suite. The piano is cheesy, and the wall-of-fosketts "goodbye" is so cheesy as well. In the middle of some really inspired stuff from Brian I think it's a weak point!

But I'm very open to persuasion!
MBE
« Reply #71 on: June 07, 2012, 05:05:02 AM »

Guilty Pleasure.  Grin
Ah. I was surprised I liked it myself. I read the lyrics before playing it and I didn't expect it to be so catchy. It's not "great" but far better than their 1978-92 nostalgia fests.
MBE
« Reply #72 on: June 07, 2012, 05:06:19 AM »

I don't get the pacific ocean highway love - to me it's the weak part of the suite. The piano is cheesy, and the wall-of-fosketts "goodbye" is so cheesy as well. In the middle of some really inspired stuff from Brian I think it's a weak point!

But I'm very open to persuasion!
I think it's very pretty, and has a nice simplicty to it.  It also has some fine harmonic and melodic changes.
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 07, 2012, 05:13:58 AM »

Guilty Pleasure.  Grin
Ah. I was surprised I liked it myself. I read the lyrics before playing it and I didn't expect it to be so catchy. It's not "great" but far better than their 1978-92 nostalgia fests.

I think it's sequencing helps bring out a good bit of energy; especially after the mellow openers.  This album is more roll than rock, but Spring Vacation provides a bit of a middle ground.

I love how Mike stresses and swaggers the I'm cruisin' the town line, and gets me into a groove that (vaguely) harks back to the I get around vibe.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2012, 05:15:20 AM by Alholio71 » Logged

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
startBBtoday
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 07, 2012, 07:05:54 AM »

1. Pacific Coast Highway
2. Shelter
3. From There to Back Again
4. Summer's Gone
5. Isn't It Time
6. Strange World
7. That's Why God Made the Radio
8. Think About the Days
9. The Private Life of Bill and Sue
10. Beaches in Mind
11. Spring Vacation
12. Daybreak Over the Ocean

But I don't dislike any of the songs actually. Top eight is very strong though.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx