gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680749 Posts in 27614 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 10:11:42 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rank the tracks on the new album.  (Read 14592 times)
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: June 23, 2012, 10:56:43 AM »

Why no love for Beaches in Mind?  Am I the only one to kinda like it?
It should be the third single!

1. Isn't It Time
 2. Strange World
 3. Summer's Gone
 4. From There and Back Again
 5. Pacific Coast Highway
 6. Think About the Days
 7. Beaches in Mind
 8. Spring Vacation
 9. Daybreak Over the Ocean
10. Shelter
11. That's Why God Made the Radio
12. The Private Life of Bill and Sue

"Beaches In Mind" sucks.  However I think "Daybreak Over The Ocean" is not half bad.  

Agreed. And with "Shelter" they're basically lifting melody lines from "San Miguel" and "Darlin'".

I really don't get how people can rate some of the songs on the album a 9 or a 10 out of 10. What would you rate "Good Vibrations" then? Or "Don't Worry Baby", or "Don't Hurt My little Sister", etc, etc?
I find it really odd if anyone would can claim that any of the songs on the new album are remotely as good as the ones mentioned.
Definitely some good tunes on the album, no doubt, but rating them any higher than 7.5/10, I just don't understand.
(unless of course you're purely rating the songs within the universe of this album, e.g. 7.5 = 10 Wink)
the only song i can say that is good or even better than the earlier stuff is from there to back again and that's why god made the radio and summer's gone Smiley those are up to par with the today stuff imo and definitely better than anything on surf's up / sunflower..
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #101 on: June 24, 2012, 01:13:07 AM »

1. From There and Back Again
 2. Summer's Gone
 3. Pacific Coast Highway
 4. Think About the Days
 5. Strange World

6. Shelter
 7. TWGMTR

8. The Private Life of Bill and Sue
 9. Isn't it Time
 10. Daybreak Over the Ocean
 11.Spring Vacation
 12.Beaches in Mind

I really like 1-5, but my first choice is a great song. I don't much care for the bottom five; it's a pity Mike opted for his latter day lyrical stylings rather than those of the more distant past, although the irony is Mike's worst lyrics aren't on his own song.
Exapno Mapcase
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: June 24, 2012, 08:48:26 AM »

For me, Love's lyrics are, at times, too close to those on Summer in Paradise and there's a forced cheesy sentimentality (a la Summer of Love) about some of the songs - though I rather like the music for Spring Vacation.  The best of the album however, is very good indeed. I just wish the rest had matched it. In that sesne it reminds me of LA - a kind of 50/50 album, though here, the best songs are Brian's whereas Dennis, as a writer or singer, rules the best songs on LA and Brian was pretty much absent.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2012, 08:58:04 AM by salman rushdie » Logged

Honk! Honk!
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: June 24, 2012, 11:05:52 AM »

Why no love for Beaches in Mind?  Am I the only one to kinda like it?
It should be the third single!

1. Isn't It Time
 2. Strange World
 3. Summer's Gone
 4. From There and Back Again
 5. Pacific Coast Highway
 6. Think About the Days
 7. Beaches in Mind
 8. Spring Vacation
 9. Daybreak Over the Ocean
10. Shelter
11. That's Why God Made the Radio
12. The Private Life of Bill and Sue

"Beaches In Mind" sucks.  However I think "Daybreak Over The Ocean" is not half bad.  

Agreed. And with "Shelter" they're basically lifting melody lines from "San Miguel" and "Darlin'".

I really don't get how people can rate some of the songs on the album a 9 or a 10 out of 10. What would you rate "Good Vibrations" then? Or "Don't Worry Baby", or "Don't Hurt My little Sister", etc, etc?
I find it really odd if anyone would can claim that any of the songs on the new album are remotely as good as the ones mentioned.
Definitely some good tunes on the album, no doubt, but rating them any higher than 7.5/10, I just don't understand.
(unless of course you're purely rating the songs within the universe of this album, e.g. 7.5 = 10 Wink)

It's all subjective. Personally, I would rate the last three songs, Good Vibes, and Don't Worry Baby as perfect tens. I think the suite is a masterpiece. It's not breaking any ground like Good Vibrations, but I think it's perfect.

Don't Hurt My Little Sister would probably rate around an 8 with me.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
B-Rex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: June 25, 2012, 01:22:48 PM »

1. From There to Back Again
2. Strange World
3. Pacific Coast Highway
4. Summer's Gone
5. Think About the Days
6. Shelter
7. Daybreak Over the Ocean
8. The Private Life of Bill and Sue
9. Spring Vacation
10. Isn't it Time
11. Beaches in Mind
12. TWGMTR

Tesla and Marconi made the radio.
melody nelson
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: June 25, 2012, 05:56:20 PM »

1. summer's gone
2. isn't it time
3. from there to back again
4. think about the days
5. that's why god made the radio
6. spring vacation
7. shelter
8. pacific coast highway

---

9. daybreak over the ocean
10. beaches in mind
11. strange world
12. the private life of bill and sue
« Last Edit: June 25, 2012, 05:57:17 PM by melody nelson » Logged
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: June 25, 2012, 06:00:13 PM »

1. summer's gone
2. isn't it time
3. from there to back again
4. think about the days
5. that's why god made the radio
6. spring vacation
7. shelter
8. pacific coast highway

---

9. daybreak over the ocean
10. beaches in mind
11. strange world
12. the private life of bill and sue

I like your screename.
Forshorn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: June 25, 2012, 09:58:53 PM »

1. TWGMR
2. From there to back
3. Shelter
4. Daybreak
5. Summer's gone
6. Isn't it time
7. Pacific coast
8. think about the days

Why am I not joining in the Love-hate relationship that leads everyone to underrate Daybreak? Actually, the album suffers from feeling a bit forced and the easygoing sway and vocals of Mike's song are a relief. Shelter is the best single material, IMHO.
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: June 26, 2012, 05:38:13 AM »

I think quality wise Shelter is comparable to Breakaway, but I actually like Shelter more.  I've already listened to it more than Breakaway, I'm confident in saying I like it more than Do It Again.  But that's partly because I've never been as high on that song as others.  From There To Back Again, is one of their best tunes I think, it belongs on a legitimate Best Of album.
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: June 26, 2012, 05:42:48 AM »

Why am I not joining in the Love-hate relationship that leads everyone to underrate Daybreak?

Holy moly jesus christ of mother lord nature god, will you guys ever stop with this childish argument to defend yourself? can't we just like or dislike a song, just for what it is, and none of because who did what on it?

Btw, i love the song.
tansen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: June 26, 2012, 05:51:11 AM »

I think quality wise Shelter is comparable to Breakaway, but I actually like Shelter more.  I've already listened to it more than Breakaway, I'm confident in saying I like it more than Do It Again.  But that's partly because I've never been as high on that song as others.  From There To Back Again, is one of their best tunes I think, it belongs on a legitimate Best Of album.

To each their own. From a songwriting perspective I think 'Breakaway' and 'Do it Again' are much better songs. My comparison to 'San Miguel' and 'Darlin'' was the fact that 'Shelter' borrows melody lines from the two songs - which to me makes the former a bleak copy.

Someone saying that the three last songs on the album can be compared to "Good Vibrations' and "Don't Worry baby', I just can't fathom. Certainly not from a songwriting, arranging or production perspective, anyways.

Tansen - "He Who Commands an Army of Notes"
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: June 26, 2012, 09:34:10 AM »

To each their own. From a songwriting perspective I think 'Breakaway' and 'Do it Again' are much better songs. My comparison to 'San Miguel' and 'Darlin'' was the fact that 'Shelter' borrows melody lines from the two songs - which to me makes the former a bleak copy.

I see what you mean, ironically because Darlin' just borrows the whole melody from Thinkin Bout You Baby, adding a better chorus, but imo bringing said melody down.  Breakaway i think is better than Do It Again, but something about Do It Again.  It's the first in a long line of singles that includes good timin, soul searchin, getcha back, twgmtr.  The standard "beach boys" song that from a songwriting perspective, is super standard stuff. All the background vocals in the Shelter chorus layering, the sweet french horn, and the lyrics, i just dig it more (not that i'm saying shelter is groundbreaking).
« Last Edit: June 26, 2012, 09:38:36 AM by Runaways » Logged
tansen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: June 26, 2012, 09:51:53 AM »

I see what you mean, ironically because Darlin' just borrows the whole melody from Thinkin Bout You Baby, adding a better chorus, but imo bringing said melody down.  Breakaway i think is better than Do It Again, but something about Do It Again.  It's the first in a long line of singles that includes good timin, soul searchin, getcha back, twgmtr.  The standard "beach boys" song that from a songwriting perspective, is super standard stuff. All the background vocals in the Shelter chorus layering, the sweet french horn, and the lyrics, i just dig it more (not that i'm saying shelter is groundbreaking).

Yeah, I'm torn between 'Darlin' and 'Thinkin' Bout You Baby' - I really like the punch of the former, and the sweetness of the latter. Also love Carl's vocals on Darlin'. I agree that 'Breakaway' is better than 'Do it Again'.

But, totally, I see that you can find nice elements in 'Shelter', not going to argue there. I guess I'm just a little disappointed that Brian couldn't/didn't come up with something more original.

JanBerryFarm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: June 26, 2012, 10:30:59 AM »

It doesn't bother any of you that this album sounds really over-processed and compressed?

I guess people are used to that now.  Undecided

~Hawaiian Shirts Are For Barneys~
tansen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: June 26, 2012, 02:12:56 PM »

It doesn't bother any of you that this album sounds really over-processed and compressed?

I guess people are used to that now.  Undecided

Oh man, trust me, you're not alone. The use of vocal tuning drives me mad, not to mention the overall slick production.

Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #115 on: June 26, 2012, 02:38:18 PM »

It sounded weird the first two or three times I listened to it, but that was like a month ago! I'm over it.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
JanBerryFarm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: June 26, 2012, 02:47:04 PM »

It sounded weird the first two or three times I listened to it, but that was like a month ago! I'm over it.

Right. I wanna be over it too. Maybe I should get some less expensive headphones.  Smokin

~Hawaiian Shirts Are For Barneys~
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: June 26, 2012, 02:50:07 PM »

Sure it does. Bugs me every time I listen to it, but not as much anymore as when it was still fresh.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx