gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680849 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 27, 2024, 12:23:54 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: How would you feel about Daybreak Over The Ocean being the second single?  (Read 3415 times)
Summertime Blooz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: June 05, 2012, 11:38:39 AM »

We all know in our hearts that with it's Kokomo-esque feel, it probably stands the best chance of becoming a hit single. The fact that Kokomo is the #1 download on iTunes today got me thinking about this. Even though, artistically, most of us would agree it's not one of the better songs on the album,  would you want the Beach Boys to promote it as a single even if it meant  further compromising their artistic legacy? Of course, if it became a hit, then that would mean tens (maybe hundreds) of thousands more units sold of the album. Would it sicken your Beach Boy-lovin heart if Daybreak became a hit or would you be cool with it?
« Last Edit: June 05, 2012, 11:53:01 AM by krabklaw » Logged

Please visit 'The American(a) Trip Slideshow' where you can watch the videos and listen to fan mixes of all the Smile songs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doOws3284PQ&list=PLptIp1kEl6BWNpXyJ_mb20W4ZqJ14-Hgg
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2012, 11:43:02 AM »

krabklaw, sorry but must you post a new thread for every little thought that you can conjure?  Why not setup just one thread to post all your questions about the new album.  It's becoming a little difficult to follow every single thread about this album when they're spread over 10 different threads...
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2012, 11:43:41 AM »

wouldnt be a hit.
startBBtoday
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2012, 11:46:32 AM »

We all know in our hearts that with it's Kokomo-esque feel, it probably stands the best chance of becoming a hit single. Even though, artistically, most of us would agree it's not one of the better songs on the album, do you want the Beach Boys to have a hit single even if it meant  further compromising their artistic legacy?

If Daybreak could have been a hit single, it would have been released at some point in the last 34 years. Just because Mike Love wrote it doesn't make it "Kokomo." There's far catchier songs on the album, "Shelter," "Isn't It Time," "Strange World," "Spring Vacation," even "Beaches In Mind."
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2012, 11:47:09 AM »

wouldnt be a hit.

This.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
Summertime Blooz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2012, 12:52:04 PM »

We all know in our hearts that with it's Kokomo-esque feel, it probably stands the best chance of becoming a hit single. Even though, artistically, most of us would agree it's not one of the better songs on the album, do you want the Beach Boys to have a hit single even if it meant  further compromising their artistic legacy?

If Daybreak could have been a hit single, it would have been released at some point in the last 34 years. Just because Mike Love wrote it doesn't make it "Kokomo." There's far catchier songs on the album, "Shelter," "Isn't It Time," "Strange World," "Spring Vacation," even "Beaches In Mind."

I agree that most of those songs you mention are catchier, but there's no accounting sometimes for what's embraced by the multitudes.
In a fairer world Mad Men would be the most popular dramatic series on TV instead of regurgitated hog slop like NCIS. I dunno- Daybreak almost feels like it was tacked-on as a kind of fail safe device  in case the first single tanked. Personally, I would prefer that Daybreak not be promoted as a single, but I do think it's an interesting possibility for Beach Boys fans to ponder even if it makes them a little queasy.

Please visit 'The American(a) Trip Slideshow' where you can watch the videos and listen to fan mixes of all the Smile songs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doOws3284PQ&list=PLptIp1kEl6BWNpXyJ_mb20W4ZqJ14-Hgg
startBBtoday
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2012, 12:59:49 PM »

I agree that most of those songs you mention are catchier, but there's no accounting sometimes for what's embraced by the multitudes.
In a fairer world Mad Men would be the most popular dramatic series on TV instead of regurgitated hog slop like NCIS. I dunno- Daybreak almost feels like it was tacked-on as a kind of fail safe device  in case the first single tanked. Personally, I would prefer that Daybreak not be promoted as a single, but I do think it's an interesting possibility for Beach Boys fans to ponder even if it makes them a little queasy.

Mike has had that song since 1978, and unlike Brian, wasn't exactly saving it for the off chance that the Beach Boys would reunite with Brian Wilson. It's a fine song, I certainly don't dislike it, but if a record exec would have seen hit potential, it would have at least been on Mike's 1981 solo album.
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2012, 01:38:05 PM »

No.  It's an okay album track, not the worst, but far from the best.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2012, 04:41:36 PM »

I think Spring Vacation will be a single, but not Daybreak. 
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2012, 04:51:07 PM »

We all know in our hearts that with it's Kokomo-esque feel, it probably stands the best chance of becoming a hit single.

It's not 1988 anymore. Sure, people download Kokomo, probably because they recognize the name from when they were kids. And Daybreak is no Kokomo (as annoying as Kokomo is)-- for starters, it doesn't have Carl's voice. I think Carl's voice was a huge part of why it was a hit. That, and the hook.
oldsurferdude
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2012, 05:58:44 PM »

Should not have been included on the album. Pure cheeze and quite honestly just another reason for Brian to continue to distance himself from the likes of Myke after the tour has concluded.
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2012, 06:24:03 PM »

I don't think it would be a hit either, for all the reasons mentioned - no Carl, no great hook, no hit movie to pair it with.

That and it's the weakest track on the record (in my opinion, admittedly based on just one listen so far).
Forshorn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2012, 12:05:16 PM »

I'm a fan of "Daybreak" - Mike's gentle vocals and the swaying melody really work.

But the album is not exactly a goldmine of singles.  But, no: "Shelter."
RONDEMON
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2012, 12:10:48 PM »

Isn't it Time would be a great single. As good as if not better than the title track.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2012, 12:14:43 PM »

I'm a fan of "Daybreak" - Mike's gentle vocals and the swaying melody really work.

But the album is not exactly a goldmine of singles.  But, no: "Shelter."

Yeah, it's nice to hear Mike still singing in his "Kokomo" voice a quarter of a century later (yes, I know it was recorded a few years ago), and, the harmonious ending is spectacular. It reminds me of B.J. Thomas' "Rock And Roll Lulabye". If Brian would've written the song, I wonder...
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2012, 12:34:46 PM »

I think it's a very catchy song, so is Isn't It Time and Shelter. all 3 potential singles.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2012, 12:46:17 PM »

I'd be dumb and founded. Maybe even thunder and struck.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2012, 12:47:43 PM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2012, 01:00:02 PM »

Probably even Shocked and Awed.
Phoenix
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2012, 01:53:05 PM »

Extremely disappointed.
SamMcK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2012, 02:17:32 PM »

I would be disappointed in their judgement to say the least.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2012, 02:33:15 PM »

I wouldn't care either way because singles are irrelevant.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2012, 03:36:11 PM »

My least favorite track on the cd. I enjoy the opening, led by Al's strong vocals.  After that I lose intersest and rarely make it through the entire song before skipping ahead. Not a bad song,  just sounds out of place on the album.  The last song I would release as a single.

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
keysarsoze001
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2012, 07:09:38 PM »

I wouldn't care either way because singles are irrelevant.

This.
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2012, 08:28:46 PM »

I've grown a lot more fond of this track after repeated listens, but I'm still not sure it would make a strong single.  If anything, I think they've got to go with "Spring Vacation".  That one just sticks in your head like crazy, and that's what you need in a hit single.  "Daybreak" is enjoyable, but doesn't quite have that killer hook.
Summertime Blooz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2012, 03:43:10 AM »

The easy listening radio stations, those 'light favorites' type of stations, the ones that still play Kokomo every day, might give it a shot.

gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx