gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681550 Posts in 27642 Topics by 4082 Members - Latest Member: briansclub June 12, 2024, 06:15:59 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Crack At Your Love and other obscure gems from the 80s catalogue  (Read 14753 times)
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 14, 2012, 10:06:18 AM »

I think the tracks with Brian in the writing credits stand out above all the others on the '85 album as having real heart and soul.

It's funny because I feel exactly the opposite. I find Brian's songs to be the most uninspired on the album, which is really saying something. There's no life to them. It's not really his fault, he was stuck in a very weird place. Being forced by your psychologist to write songs everyday is not going to bring out your best. Then in his case everyone was so excited to see him writing again that they were too afraid of hurting his feelings to give him constructive criticism or push him to work harder. I've probably said this before but I feel like one of Brian's great gifts as a songwriter is the joy that comes through the music even when the actual song may be tragic. I just don't see that joy in his songs from BB85 or many of the songs from the second Landy period.

Carl's songs are the ones I like best from that album. "Where I Belong" is absolutely beautiful.
I agree with your assessment 100%. Carl's songs and the overall vocals are what saves this album. Male Ego is the only Brian tune with any bite. A real shame that it was not included on the LP.

I also agree with Amanda's excellent post. Not a fan of "Male Ego", however. I think it has been overrated. Brian's vocal is very shouty, the lyrics are terrible, and, frankly, the melody isn't anything special either.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 14, 2012, 10:09:03 AM »

I think the tracks with Brian in the writing credits stand out above all the others on the '85 album as having real heart and soul.

It's funny because I feel exactly the opposite. I find Brian's songs to be the most uninspired on the album, which is really saying something. There's no life to them. It's not really his fault, he was stuck in a very weird place. Being forced by your psychologist to write songs everyday is not going to bring out your best. Then in his case everyone was so excited to see him writing again that they were too afraid of hurting his feelings to give him constructive criticism or push him to work harder. I've probably said this before but I feel like one of Brian's great gifts as a songwriter is the joy that comes through the music even when the actual song may be tragic. I just don't see that joy in his songs from BB85 or many of the songs from the second Landy period.

Carl's songs are the ones I like best from that album. "Where I Belong" is absolutely beautiful.
I agree with your assessment 100%. Carl's songs and the overall vocals are what saves this album. Male Ego is the only Brian tune with any bite. A real shame that it was not included on the LP.

I also agree with Amanda's excellent post. Not a fan of "Male Ego", however. I think it has been overrated. Brian's vocal is very shouty, the lyrics are terrible, and, frankly, the melody isn't anything special either.
Male Ego is what "love you" would sound like if  it was made in the 1980s. Brian knew where music trends were going.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 14, 2012, 10:49:35 AM »

Male Ego is what "love you" would sound like if  it was made in the 1980s. Brian knew where music trends were going.
Oh yeah, Male Ego is definitely in the Love You mold. I think Brian & Carl sound fantastic on ME. Mike is a little too soft and nasally for my taste, but overall it is the best Brian tune and performance on '85.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: September 14, 2012, 11:34:18 AM »

To me, BB85 is pretty much a waste, except for "Crack" (awesome) and "I'm So Lonely" (even better).  "Crack" just has a great melody, great lyrics, nice vocal from Al.

Seriously?!  The Beach Boys produces the most unremarkable BW-penned songs of any Beach Boys album. I greatly prefer all the Carl stuff (except for "Passing Friend"), and "Getcha Back" is a decent Love/Melcher tune as well.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2012, 09:13:49 PM by Awesoman » Logged

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 14, 2012, 12:09:37 PM »

And there's a real soulfulness when it goes into the chorus with "I've wished since you went away..."  Contrast that with "Island Girl" off Still Cruisin' and hear how sterile is their attempt to do a similar chorus without Brian.  

Errr....Brian is on "Island Girl" actually. He is VERY audible in the intro vocal part.
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 14, 2012, 01:12:34 PM »

To me, BB85 is pretty much a waste, except for "Crack" (awesome) and "I'm So Lonely" (even better).  "Crack" just has a great melody, great lyrics, nice vocal from Al.

Seriously?!  The Beach Boys produces the most unremarkable BW-penned songs of an Beach Boys album. I greatly prefer all the Carl stuff (except for "Passing Friend"), and "Getcha Back" is a decent Love/Melcher tune as well.

I can state without shred of irony that Crack At Your Love is currently one of my top 5 BB songs. Admittedly this may be because it's one of the less overexposed to me but nevertheless - Buried under the terrible 80s production and ill conceived lyrics is a typically soulful and moving Brian Wilson chord sequence. I would love to hear him hammering this out on a piano cocaine sessions style.

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 14, 2012, 02:18:09 PM »

To me, BB85 is pretty much a waste, except for "Crack" (awesome) and "I'm So Lonely" (even better).  "Crack" just has a great melody, great lyrics, nice vocal from Al.

Seriously?!  The Beach Boys produces the most unremarkable BW-penned songs of an Beach Boys album. I greatly prefer all the Carl stuff (except for "Passing Friend"), and "Getcha Back" is a decent Love/Melcher tune as well.

Passing Friend is one of my favorites on that album. Carl nails that vocal and the lyrics are a notch above a lot of the other ones on that album.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
SufferingFools
Smiley Smile Associate

Fun is the only thing we still make here.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: September 14, 2012, 04:27:22 PM »

And there's a real soulfulness when it goes into the chorus with "I've wished since you went away..."  Contrast that with "Island Girl" off Still Cruisin' and hear how sterile is their attempt to do a similar chorus without Brian.  

Errr....Brian is on "Island Girl" actually. He is VERY audible in the intro vocal part.

Sorry, I meant not written by Brian.

It's interesting how different people can have such divergent opinions about this album and Brian's contributions. 

"We're getting too much good material.... It's too usable." - BDW, 10/18/66
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: September 14, 2012, 09:18:33 PM »

Oh yeah, Male Ego is definitely in the Love You mold. I think Brian & Carl sound fantastic on ME. Mike is a little too soft and nasally for my taste, but overall it is the best Brian tune and performance on '85.

"Male Ego" is easily a Love You reject.  It's not at all a song you'd ever want to introduce to a new fan (but then again, you could arguably say the same thing about the whole Love You album itself...).  Hell, even the vinyl version of The Beach Boys couldn't be bothered with it, making it a bonus track for the then-new pristine CD format.  I can see why some people might find its charm, but let's not kid ourselves: the song sucks.

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 14, 2012, 11:57:20 PM »

NO.NO.NO.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #60 on: September 15, 2012, 02:18:44 AM »

I'm not a big fan of Brian's 'doo-wop' numbers here. I'm not even a fan of Isn't It Time (but it's better than those on 85); the one  I prefer is Soul Searchin'. I listen to the 85 album and apart from Al and Carl's vocals, it could be someone else.
Moz from Oz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 15, 2012, 04:09:29 AM »

Discovering the BB's as a 16/17 year old around dare I say it, the Kokomo period, the 80's albums/singles hold a special place in my heart. BB85 and KTSA were two of my earliest forays into The Beach Boys, and although the passage of time I have obviously seen these albums in a different light musically, when I play them now they still bring back wonderful memories of that time of discovery. Sometimes I get a song stuck in my head and just need to go play it. Where I Belong is one that pops up regularly. Love it!
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 15, 2012, 06:42:04 AM »

Discovering the BB's as a 16/17 year old around dare I say it, the Kokomo period, the 80's albums/singles hold a special place in my heart. BB85 and KTSA were two of my earliest forays into The Beach Boys, and although the passage of time I have obviously seen these albums in a different light musically, when I play them now they still bring back wonderful memories of that time of discovery. Sometimes I get a song stuck in my head and just need to go play it. Where I Belong is one that pops up regularly. Love it!

I understand where you're coming from. The first new BB album I ever bought was 15 Big Ones. I still have many happy memories of spinning the vinyl on my bedroom turntable. It does make you, maybe subconsciously, defend the album. And, wow, 15 Big Ones sure did need some real consistent defending. police
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 17, 2012, 07:03:34 AM »

I bought the 85 album on vinyl at the time of it's release.   I played it on my "big" component stereo system and  it sounded GREAT (80's production sounded good at the time remember?) .

After MIU and KTSA, I found it pleasing to hear some songs that sounded current and weren't embarrassingly nostalgic and trying to recapture FUN, FUN, FUN.  Sure, there were a couple of these on 85 but songs such as Maybe I Don't Know, Its Getting LAte, I'm So Lonely, She Beloves in Love Again were a real treat and gave hope that the BeachBoys were, on some songs,   finally able to get past  their identity crisis of the previous 15 years and just make some great songs. 

Carl Wilson was on fire on this album and during this period (early to mid 80's).  If you want to make one fine cd comp of this period, , put the CW songs from this lp on a disc with the best songs from the CW  solo albums. 

I DID NOT LIKE The Culture Club and Stevie Wonder stuff . 
And as for CRACK,  I cringed at the crack references. 
California Calling sounded like it too should have been on the soundtrack for Americathon.
I'm so Lonely.......classic BW.  Wouldn't change a thing on that one.

And of course, Getcha Back!
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: September 17, 2012, 03:41:41 PM »

Crack at Your Love isn't about butts or drugs. it's an idiom, "let me get a crack at this", "you wanna try a crack at it?"

it means, like, giving something a small try even if it probably won't work. I'm sure most of you knew that, but in case anyone didn't, there you go.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 17, 2012, 04:50:33 PM »

Crack at Your Love isn't about butts or drugs. it's an idiom, "let me get a crack at this", "you wanna try a crack at it?"

it means, like, giving something a small try even if it probably won't work. I'm sure most of you knew that, but in case anyone didn't, there you go.

You are correct that Crack at Your Love isn't about butts or drugs, but the song title is a double entendre.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: September 17, 2012, 04:52:27 PM »

says who?

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 17, 2012, 04:54:25 PM »

says who?

I'm guessing just about anyone listening to it.
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 17, 2012, 05:13:51 PM »

says who?

I love that song, and I really don't think it's meant to be a double entendre at all.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: September 17, 2012, 06:21:48 PM »

Probably the same people who see something sexual in "crack at your love" are the same people who think there's "hey hey you son of a bitch" backing vocals in I Was Made to Love Her.

bluesno1fann
« Reply #70 on: April 15, 2014, 03:54:52 AM »

The 80's was a time of decline for the Beach Boys. Dennis dying, Brian + Landy, Mike taking complete control. Musically their decline accelerated here, as did their image.

But it doesn't mean there wasn't any Gems the Beach Boys made during that time. The 85 album is studded with them, with Maybe I Don't Know and Getcha Back being the best ones by far. Both absolutely excellent tracks, they each deserve a spot on any career-spanning Beach Boys compilation. I Do Love You, She Believes In Love Again, Where I Belong, etc. All great tracks. The rest of the songs off that album are average but worth listening to (With the exception of the awful California Calling).

Aside from the underrated 85 album, there really isn't much worth listening to. The only other obscure gems would be Keepin' The Summer Alive, Rock And Roll To The Rescue, Still Cruisin' and Make It Big. The rest aren't really worth listening to.
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 15, 2014, 04:05:48 AM »

says who?

I love that song, and I really don't think it's meant to be a double entendre at all.
You're right, it's really not. (Awesome tune, by the way.)
Nicko1234
« Reply #72 on: April 15, 2014, 05:18:02 AM »

Crack at Your Love is a nice tune but almost completely ruined by the production. There is probably no chance of this but if Al were ever to go out playing club shows and singing some of his own material then it would be interesting to hear a simple acoustic version of this.

I feel the same about Brian`s I`m So Lonely. If it were recorded with a very simple piano accompaniment then it could be quite affecting.

It`s unfortunate that Bruce was friends with Culture Club`s producer rather than the producer of U2 or The Smiths say...
Orange Crate Art
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 15, 2014, 07:15:53 AM »

I don't know if this song is a 'gem', but it is an obscure one from the 80s...
...and I have been curious about this song since I first heard it...

What the hell is up with Can't Stop Talkin' 'Bout American Girls??? I can't tell if Mike's lead is off a half-note or if it's the music track that's off. Does an 'on-key' version of this track exist?

Hey did you hear that George fell into his French horn?
dellydel
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 15, 2014, 09:12:56 AM »

Just wanna say, this thread has finally convinced me to buy the KTSA/'85 two-fer, which was the only two-fer I missed out on. 

You look nice.  What's your name?  You smell nice.  I like you!    Grin
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx