gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680748 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 03:40:34 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Crack At Your Love and other obscure gems from the 80s catalogue  (Read 14645 times)
oldsurferdude
« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2012, 11:39:17 AM »

Crack at Your Love is a great song. and Passing Friend!
Thumbs Up ...add "It's Getting Late".
Sunflowerpet
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2012, 12:12:37 PM »

I've always loved "I'm so lonely", the chorus with Brian singing in falsetto is gorgeous.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2012, 12:14:10 PM by Sunflowerpet » Logged
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2012, 12:44:13 PM »

It's not often discussed on here, but I believe there are a bunch of non-album/ soundtrack and unreleased BB's tracks from the early- mid '80s, eg. Oh Those Girls, At the Hop, Tricia, the already mentioned East Meets West with the Four Seasons, Happy Endings (bizarre duet with Little Richard), Don't Worry Baby with the Everlys, Chasin' the Sky and others. Though most of these seem to be poor, we're always talkin' about SIP, S&S and other major landmarks of the Boys later career  Grin .

The old Male Ego board actually had some regular discussions about these songs if I remember correctly. A fascinating topic no matter if you actually like these songs or not (personally I have a bit of a soft spot for most of them).
TheLazenby
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2012, 03:10:48 PM »

I listened to KTSA earlier today for the first time, and actually found it enjoyable.  So there's one vote for "KTSA ain't too bad". :-P
NatureShowInStereo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 06, 2012, 03:40:19 PM »

I personally love "Passing Friend" from BB85. So much feeling in that tune.
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 06, 2012, 04:08:16 PM »

Someone pointed this out some time back, so I'll re-point it out.  Listen to "Crack at Your Love".  Then listen to "Hungry Heart" by Bruce Springsteen.  Nearly the same song.

But, that doesn't necessarily keep me from liking crack.  The song, that is.

No, no. Getcha Back is the rip off of Hungry Heart (although I still love Getcha Back).  Mike Love has as much as admitted it (I think it was in the infamous Goldmine article from 1992). In any event, Springsteen has said that he wrote Hungry Heart not so much as a tribute to the Boys, but as way of expressing how their music made him feel, or something to that effect. It has a definite Beach Boys feel to it, no doubt. Love, in response, wrote Getcha Back.  He expressed how disapointed he was with Steve Levine's production of it.  Love wanted, as he put it, a "real ballsy sax" like Hungry Heart, but Levine "just didn't hear it",and that the production kept it from being a bigger hit.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2012, 04:09:10 PM by southbay » Logged

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
GhostyTMRS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 06, 2012, 04:48:46 PM »

On this album, I love She Believes in Love Again, like Maybe I Don't Know, Where I Belong and Male Ego is fun. Most of the rest is a bit average, pleasant but lightweight, but overall imo better than half of KTSA (not saying which tracks, but I think they're possibly their nadir  Grin)

They should have dropped the Culture Club reject and added Chasin' the Sky instead and probably dropped the Stevie Wonder track with Carl guesting on it and added ... er, something better  Smiley . At the Hop?

It's not often discussed on here, but I believe there are a bunch of non-album/ soundtrack and unreleased BB's tracks from the early- mid '80s, eg. Oh Those Girls, At the Hop, Tricia, the already mentioned East Meets West with the Four Seasons, Happy Endings (bizarre duet with Little Richard), Don't Worry Baby with the Everlys, Chasin' the Sky and others. Though most of these seem to be poor, we're always talkin' about SIP, S&S and other major landmarks of the Boys later career  Grin .

I say bring on the '80s box set - 3 CDs, alternate takes, the works!  Smokin

I'll tell ya what, as a completist I would buy that! While most of these stray tracks aren't that great I'd like to see them come out in one handy package.  Lob off the 60' cuts on Still Cruisin and create a SC/Summer In Paradise twofer with some bonus cuts. Yeah, I know some people would love to have these tracks locked in a vault but it's history and it happened. Capitol...release the hounds! 
Jonathan Blum
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 06, 2012, 07:09:41 PM »

Anyone got a complete handy list of the stray tracks which were released (as opposed to outtakes)?  Only ones I'm aware of off the top of my head were "East Meets West", "Rock And Roll To The Rescue", "California Dreamin", and "Lady Liberty" from the '80s, and "Problem Child" and "Croc Rock" from the '90s.  I suppose we can add the likes of "Don't Fight The Sea" and "Waves of Love" now too...

Cheers,
Jon Blum
GhostyTMRS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 06, 2012, 08:20:43 PM »

Anyone got a complete handy list of the stray tracks which were released (as opposed to outtakes)?  Only ones I'm aware of off the top of my head were "East Meets West", "Rock And Roll To The Rescue", "California Dreamin", and "Lady Liberty" from the '80s, and "Problem Child" and "Croc Rock" from the '90s.  I suppose we can add the likes of "Don't Fight The Sea" and "Waves of Love" now too...

Cheers,
Jon Blum

Off the top of my head "Don't Worry Baby" with the Everly Brothers from the Tequila Sunrise sdtrk, "Happy Endings" with Little Richard from The Telephone sdtk, "Howdy From Maui" with Jeff Foxworthy, "Happy Birthday America"...and don't forget the version of "Problem Child" without the kids's "nyah nyah's".  Smiley

And "Chasin' The Sky" as others have mentioned. ..and assorted live tracks..like the live "California Girls" that was the B-Side of "Happy Endings" and the live "God Only Knows" that was the Farm Aid album.
jackstar74
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 06, 2012, 08:23:32 PM »

Best song from the 80s, easily, Somewhere Near Japan
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 06, 2012, 11:11:01 PM »

Maybe I could appreciate "crack" in a more basic production; the 80's sound doesn't do it for me. The song itself sounds like nothing special to my ears, but there are some good tunes on BB85. Unfortunately, the best ones weren't Brian's (my guess being that he wanted to save his best stuff for a solo album), although I do like I'm So Lonely and It's Just a Matter of Time quite well. Getcha Back has aged well, and It's Gettin' Late, Where I Belong and I Do Love You are strong songs.
PhilSpectre
Smiley Smile Associate

May You Never Hear Surf Music ... Again

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 07, 2012, 07:34:03 AM »

I listened to KTSA earlier today for the first time, and actually found it enjoyable.  So there's one vote for "KTSA ain't too bad". :-P

Cool, glad some people like that record. For me, I can only stomach my personally programmed EP of -

Keepin' the Summer Alive (I think this is one of their best later rockers, as it actually has some balls to it relatively speaking  - great Carl vocal)
Livin' With a Heartache (it has a country feel vaguely similar to the Blondie/ Ricky tracks from CATP/Holland imo - another great Carl vocal)
Goin' On (great piece of harmony from the Boys. More great vocals from Carl)
Santa Ana Winds (I think this is just lovely. It's KTSA's equivalent of Winds of Change, which I also love. Great vocal from Al)
Endless Harmony (the guilty pleasure, unintentionally ironic lyrics, but still rather lovely imo)

I sometimes programme them to alternate with BBs '85 tracks, thus making a more diverse 'organic' listening experience.

Also just realised that the early '80s outtake Tricia is an uptempo rip off of the classic Sherry She Needs me  Undecided  Also, just heard Jingle Bell Rock from the same era  Shocked . Sounds like a collab with the Chipmunks.

On the other hand, Hot Summer Lover is tolerable, aside from the puzzling sheep noises from I think Mike in the intro. Deeply strange. Did he think he was back in the Barnyard??

Music Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 07, 2012, 10:33:02 AM »

I just heard Tricia for the first time and loved it. I think I might have a new favorite 80's Beach Boys track. An album from '84 with Tricia and Chasin' the Sky would have been excellent and I hope we get both songs on the new box set.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: June 07, 2012, 12:39:42 PM »

« Last Edit: June 08, 2012, 01:04:58 PM by Aegir » Logged

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 07, 2012, 12:55:04 PM »

Cool, glad some people like that record. For me, I can only stomach my personally programmed EP of -

Keepin' the Summer Alive (I think this is one of their best later rockers, as it actually has some balls to it relatively speaking  - great Carl vocal)
Livin' With a Heartache (it has a country feel vaguely similar to the Blondie/ Ricky tracks from CATP/Holland imo - another great Carl vocal)
Goin' On (great piece of harmony from the Boys. More great vocals from Carl)
Santa Ana Winds (I think this is just lovely. It's KTSA's equivalent of Winds of Change, which I also love. Great vocal from Al)
Endless Harmony (the guilty pleasure, unintentionally ironic lyrics, but still rather lovely imo)

What I discovered to my immense joy the other day was that all my favourite tracks from KTSA are grouped together on side 2! I'm going grab the vinyl off ebay, and it may end up being one of the more played sides in my BB record collection! Love me some Goin' On.

The same is also true of MIU - side 2 has all my favourite tracks (bar Winds of Change, which is awful).

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
Doo Dah
Smiley Smile Associate

One man's troll is another man's freedom fighter.

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 07, 2012, 02:49:10 PM »

It's not often discussed on here, but I believe there are a bunch of non-album/ soundtrack and unreleased BB's tracks from the early- mid '80s, eg... I say bring on the '80s box set - 3 CDs, alternate takes, the works!  Smokin

Totally agree. A guilty pleasure when you're in the mood for some 80's. I compiled a selection of those (going back to the '70's It's a Beautiful Day) and called it Cruise Control. A nice compilation actually.

AGD is gone.
AGD is gone.
Heigh ho the derry-o
AGD is gone
superunison
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 13, 2012, 06:26:13 PM »

Anyone have any more info on "Tricia"? Is it just a Mike track? Cowritten with Brian? And speaking of KTSA, I've always wanted to know which track/s Ricky played on....
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 13, 2012, 07:11:26 PM »

Getcha Back, SNJ and BW88 are tied IMO

I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 13, 2012, 07:18:06 PM »

Ya'll are on crack.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
Quzi
Smiley Smile Associate

Eagerly awaiting tHe BeDRoOM TaPES

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 14, 2012, 02:35:59 AM »

I tried to combine BB'85, Still Cruisin' and Summer In Paradise to even a passable album and even then I couldn't scrounge up enough tracks.  Somewhere Near Japan (single mix), It's Gettin' Late, Where I Belong and Getcha Back are probably the only tracks I don't mind hearing on shuffle.

"A/S/L"?
"Age:24. That's when Brian Wilson made Pet Sounds. Sex: Brian Wilson was having loads of sex with Marilyn when he made Pet Sounds. Location: Gold Star Studios, where Brian Wilson assembled with the Wrecking Crew to make Pet Sounds. Hbu?"
Christoph
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: September 14, 2012, 05:50:10 AM »

There are very few live recordings of It's getting late, Crack at your love and She believes in love again. I must admit, the 85 record has really grown on me lately. Especially Where I belong and It's getting late, Carl at his best vocally. Sadly there are no high quality live versions, only audience tapes.

SufferingFools
Smiley Smile Associate

Fun is the only thing we still make here.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: September 14, 2012, 06:35:01 AM »

I think the tracks with Brian in the writing credits stand out above all the others on the '85 album as having real heart and soul.

I've read that the CD supposedly doesn't sound nearly as good as the vinyl, which may explain why I'm more partial to this album than many others are.  It was the first BB album I bought when it first came out, and the vinyl is still in good shape and sounds really strong.  My general thoughts on the album:

1. Getcha Back - Catchy enough, smooth harmonies, good to hear Brian's voice in it, but a little plastic.  Clearly the choice for a hit single.

2. It's Getting Late - Good singing from Carl saves this one, but it's too synthy and robotic.  Somehow sounds laminated.

3. Crack at Your Love - Brian's middle eight gives it the heart it needs to produce genuine feeling, although that horrible slap bass ("benk! benk!") nearly ruins the rest of it.  

4. Maybe I Don't Know - Nice guitar riff, but the song goes on longer than it needs to and doesn't get anywhere very satisfying.

5. She Believes In Love Again - It's interesting to hear Bruce working in such an 80's idiom, with the synths and big crashing drums.  The song works, but only just.

1. California Calling - This is infectiously good, even if transparently working the nostalgia button.  Again, Brian's influence comes through.

2. Passing Friend - OK, I consider this the worst song ever recorded by the Beach Boys.  Long, repetitive, boring, takes no advantage of the group's vocal abilities.  And those lyrics!  "In a child's eyes there were feelings touching my violet skin"??  A big-eyed, purple alien kid having some kind of moment.

3. I'm So Lonely - I think this stands as easily the best song on the album, even as a middle-of-the-pack Brian composition.  It has that Brian Wilson "something," the honesty, the directness you might find on the Love You album although not as cleverly written.  There's a story in the Todd Gold book about how Levine came back from a lunch break to find Brian recording the group gathered around one microphone for this song and told him "you can't do that!"   LOL  Ripping sax opening, and that middle eight is really ear-catching with the "(wop) Since you left it's (wop) been this way..." And there's a real soulfulness when it goes into the chorus with "I've wished since you went away..."  Contrast that with "Island Girl" off Still Cruisin' and hear how sterile is their attempt to do a similar chorus without Brian.  

4. Where I Belong - The singing is really good on this one.  Lush.

5. I Do Love You - It's all right, but it belongs on a Stevie Wonder album.  There's no reason for the Beach Boys to have recorded this.

6. It's Just A Matter Of Time - Great album closer, slow and meditative doo-wop draped in graceful harmonies.  The title goes beyond its meaning in the song when you contemplate the newly-felt mortality of the band members who dedicated the album to Dennis.

I don't consider "Male Ego" part of the album because it was only a B-side/CD bonus track.  It really sounds like nothing on the album and doesn't belong there.  
« Last Edit: September 14, 2012, 06:39:32 AM by SufferingFools » Logged

"We're getting too much good material.... It's too usable." - BDW, 10/18/66
Amanda Hart
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 14, 2012, 09:08:42 AM »

I think the tracks with Brian in the writing credits stand out above all the others on the '85 album as having real heart and soul.

It's funny because I feel exactly the opposite. I find Brian's songs to be the most uninspired on the album, which is really saying something. There's no life to them. It's not really his fault, he was stuck in a very weird place. Being forced by your psychologist to write songs everyday is not going to bring out your best. Then in his case everyone was so excited to see him writing again that they were too afraid of hurting his feelings to give him constructive criticism or push him to work harder. I've probably said this before but I feel like one of Brian's great gifts as a songwriter is the joy that comes through the music even when the actual song may be tragic. I just don't see that joy in his songs from BB85 or many of the songs from the second Landy period.

Carl's songs are the ones I like best from that album. "Where I Belong" is absolutely beautiful.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 14, 2012, 09:16:22 AM »

It's funny because I feel exactly the opposite. I find Brian's songs to be the most uninspired on the album, which is really saying something. There's no life to them. It's not really his fault, he was stuck in a very weird place. Being forced by your psychologist to write songs everyday is not going to bring out your best. Then in his case everyone was so excited to see him writing again that they were too afraid of hurting his feelings to give him constructive criticism or push him to work harder. I've probably said this before but I feel like one of Brian's great gifts as a songwriter is the joy that comes through the music even when the actual song may be tragic. I just don't see that joy in his songs from BB85 or many of the songs from the second Landy period.

Carl's songs are the ones I like best from that album. "Where I Belong" is absolutely beautiful.
I agree with your assessment 100%. Carl's songs and the overall vocals are what saves this album. Male Ego is the only Brian tune with any bite. A real shame that it was not included on the LP.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
oldsurferdude
« Reply #49 on: September 14, 2012, 09:59:07 AM »

Someone pointed this out some time back, so I'll re-point it out.  Listen to "Crack at Your Love".  Then listen to "Hungry Heart" by Bruce Springsteen.  Nearly the same song.

But, that doesn't necessarily keep me from liking crack.  The song, that is.

No, no. Getcha Back is the rip off of Hungry Heart (although I still love Getcha Back).  Mike Love has as much as admitted it (I think it was in the infamous Goldmine article from 1992). In any event, Springsteen has said that he wrote Hungry Heart not so much as a tribute to the Boys, but as way of expressing how their music made him feel, or something to that effect. It has a definite Beach Boys feel to it, no doubt. Love, in response, wrote Getcha Back.  He expressed how disapointed he was with Steve Levine's production of it.  Love wanted, as he put it, a "real ballsy sax" like Hungry Heart, but Levine "just didn't hear it",and that the production kept it from being a bigger hit.
There Myke goes again blaming someone else-it couldn't have anything to do with his drippy lead vocal centered on his nasal bleating could it??
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx