gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:45:10 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: David Bowie's Best/Worst...  (Read 5977 times)
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: June 04, 2012, 05:22:05 PM »

My father had me put together a David Bowie playlist for him on his Ipod and I heard many songs that I enjoyed by Mr. Bowie (so now I'm getting into his whole body of work it's another music journey for me) Smiley
So i had to ask you guys...What is your favorite era of bowie (ziggy,plastic soul,thin white duke/berlin trilogy,80's mainstream,90's electronica) ? favorite album? &  least favorite album?
...so far my favorite album is Low..and Least favorite Tonight Smiley
« Last Edit: June 14, 2012, 02:12:39 AM by Newguy562 » Logged
Summertime Blooz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2012, 08:54:06 PM »

Maybe because of my age the glam period leading up to Young Americans is my favorite. I think his best album is Aladdin Sane, but you can't go wrong with Ziggy Stardust, Diamond Dogs, or Hunky Dory. The Man Who Sold The World is pretty strong too, and Low was great in it's own way. I like most of his albums to varying degrees, even Tonight, which I happen to really like quite a lot. The  only albums I really didn't get are Outside and Heathen which just don't connect with me at all.
   Once you're done with Bowie, you might want to check out a glam period group called Roxy Music. Their earliest line-up included Brian Eno who collaborated with Bowie for Low, Heroes, and Lodger. Also look for two Eno albums called Here Come The Warm Jets and Another Green World. You might also want to check out a T.Rex best-of compilation to see if that's your cup of tea.

Please visit 'The American(a) Trip Slideshow' where you can watch the videos and listen to fan mixes of all the Smile songs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doOws3284PQ&list=PLptIp1kEl6BWNpXyJ_mb20W4ZqJ14-Hgg
Puggal
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2012, 10:04:04 PM »

I don't favor any period in Bowie's career. He made great (and mediocre) music during all of his different phases.

My favorite album of his would have to be Ziggy Stardust, closely followed by Station to Station. Out of the albums, I've heard I only dislike "Heroes." It's a very tedious album and the songs, besides a few, aren't particularly strong.
MyGlove
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2012, 10:35:10 PM »

Bowie is one of my favorite artists of all time! I have to be honest and say that everything from Hunky Dory to Let's Dance is amazing in some aspect (though knowing you, you probably would dislike Pin Ups, since it's a cover record  Roll Eyes ). Bowie pushed music to the absolute limits and in turn influenced scores of bands. His music, his persona, his act, and his stage presence put him up there with the greatest artists of all time. At this moment I really love the Berlin era stuff he did with Brian Eno. My least favorite one (not including anything post "Let's Dance") would probably have to be The Man Who Sold the World. The title track is great, but I never ever listen to the album. Idk if it's that I don't like it, or just that it doesn't really seem to stand out enough to where I want to listen to it. Ziggy Stardust, Diamond Dogs, Aladdin Sane, Young Americans and Station to Station have to be one of the best succession of albums in rock history. I listen to them constantly and Hunky Dory, The Berlin Era albums, Scary Monsters and Let's Dance are never my ABSOLUTE favorites but I enjoy listening to them very much.
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2012, 01:13:46 AM »

My father had me put together a David Bowie playlist for him on his Ipod and I heard many songs that I enjoyed by Mr. Bowie (so now I'm getting into his whole body of work it's another music journey for me) Smiley
So i had to ask you guys...What is your favorite era of bowie (ziggy,plastic soul,thin white duke,berlin trilogy,80's) ? favorite album? &  least favorite album?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvI0R6dOb0Q&feature=fvst

Every Bowie fan needs to hear this.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Amazing Larry
Smiley Smile Associate

There's a new daddy in town...

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2012, 02:03:49 AM »

So i had to ask you guys...What is your favorite era of bowie (ziggy,plastic soul,thin white duke,berlin trilogy,80's) ? favorite album? &  least favorite album?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvI0R6dOb0Q&feature=fvst

Every Bowie fan needs to hear this.
That song is SO cheesy, I love it.

A discipline daddy.
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2012, 06:15:06 AM »

Bowie is one of my favorite artists of all time! I have to be honest and say that everything from Hunky Dory to Let's Dance is amazing in some aspect (though knowing you, you probably would dislike Pin Ups, since it's a cover record  Roll Eyes ). Bowie pushed music to the absolute limits and in turn influenced scores of bands. His music, his persona, his act, and his stage presence put him up there with the greatest artists of all time. At this moment I really love the Berlin era stuff he did with Brian Eno. My least favorite one (not including anything post "Let's Dance") would probably have to be The Man Who Sold the World. The title track is great, but I never ever listen to the album. Idk if it's that I don't like it, or just that it doesn't really seem to stand out enough to where I want to listen to it. Ziggy Stardust, Diamond Dogs, Aladdin Sane, Young Americans and Station to Station have to be one of the best succession of albums in rock history. I listen to them constantly and Hunky Dory, The Berlin Era albums, Scary Monsters and Let's Dance are never my ABSOLUTE favorites but I enjoy listening to them very much.
the berlin trio is a great is great era in is his career Smiley all 3 albums are amazing! compared to even hunky dory ..and you're absolutely right i'm not a fan of pin ups he did good jobs covering the songs and made them into his own songs (he made them sound so different) but sometimes you have to leave classics alone "where did all the good times gone".."anyway anyhow anywhere".."i can't explain" "see emily play" wtf dude! in his career i felt he got better as time went by..
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2012, 10:08:34 AM »

My favorite David Bowie songs are Starman and Ziggy Stardust.
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2012, 11:54:55 AM »

While the golden era is really HUNKY DORY through STATION TO STATION, I tend to prefer the more experimental stuff. LODGER is a real favorite as is SCARY MONSTERS. The LET'S DANCE period depressed me horribly, but things perked up again with TIN MACHINE. Given that I liked Bowie's collaborations with Eno, I quite like both OUTSIDE and EARTHLING. I thought REALITY was a very strong album to go out on...if Bowie fails to re-materialize (hard-to-believe it's been nearly a decade since this last studio album).
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2012, 12:01:31 PM »

While the golden era is really HUNKY DORY through STATION TO STATION, I tend to prefer the more experimental stuff. LODGER is a real favorite as is SCARY MONSTERS. The LET'S DANCE period depressed me horribly, but things perked up again with TIN MACHINE. Given that I liked Bowie's collaborations with Eno, I quite like both OUTSIDE and EARTHLING. I thought REALITY was a very strong album to go out on...if Bowie fails to re-materialize (hard-to-believe it's been nearly a decade since this last studio album).
Well now that I went over everything he did I have to say I'm absolutely in love with Aladdin Sane right now Smiley every song even his rendition of "Let's Spend The Night Together" I can just relax and listen to every song on there.
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2012, 01:32:05 PM »

So I checked out his 90's albums and wow they all sound good Smiley I thought I was gonna stop with his music in the later 80's but the 90's were good for him as well.(One of the few artists that can impress me with music for three decades)
Black Tie White Noise..Outside..Earthling Smiley The only album from the 80's that disgusted me was "Tonight" there were 3 good songs on there but that's about it..
Please delete my account
Smiley Smile Associate

Please delete my account

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2015, 01:55:46 PM »

Been filling up on the gaps in my Bowie collection (pre-1983). Here are my thoughts on each of the albums:

Pye singles: I think "I Dig Everything" is very overlooked.
Deram stuff: Perfectly good but short of real high points.
"Space Oddity" I was pleasantly surprised by this one. Lots of great songs on it besides the obvious ("Space Oddity") especially "Wide Eyed Boy From Freecloud". No really bad songs either.
The Man Who Sold the World: Not a big fan of the heavy rock, but the title track and "All the Madmen" are his best songs up to this point (apart from "...Oddity")
Hunky Dory My favourite of all. There's just something really magic about so much of it.
The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars: sorry to be obvious, but this is my second favourite. All the songs apart from the cover version are exemplary pop/rock 'n' roll songs. It's really a shame he wasn't big in America yet.
Aladdin Sane: I personally feel this is a big drop in quality (though maybe I'll change my mind some day.) The singles are great, as is the title track and "Lady Grinning Soul". Again the cover version is the worst track.
Pin-Ups: nice but not essential. No real highlights except maybe "Sorrow".
Diamond Dogs:I've come to really appreciate this one. Really strong all the way through. Shame "Dodo" got left off the album though.
Young Americans: the first of a bunch of albums he did where there are too few tracks, so if you don't like three or four of them much, you won't like the album much as a whole. I love the two singles and "Win" but otherwise I prefer the out-takes.
Station to Station: Can I I be the only person who didn't bother with this album for years because it only had 6 tracks and the one song I knew on it ("Golden Years") I wasn't that bothered about? (I know the songs are long, but that just made me even more wary: I mostly prefer short songs) No Spotify or Youtube in those days, so you had to be wary about spending your money recklessly on a patchy album. As it happens this is all great and probably his best album since Ziggy Stardust. But what's the good of being great if people are wary of buying it in the first place?
Low, "Heroes", Lodger: These are all pretty much impeccable. By lumping them together, I don't mean to imply they're similar: in fact Lodger in particular is quite a departure from the two Berlin albums. It's just hard to keep thinking of things to say in the face of such a sustained run of quality work. Low is my favourite of the three, I think.
Scary Monsters: "Ashes to Ashes" used to be my favourite Bowie song, and it still is, sometimes. So this album was my biggest Bowie disappointment. I don't tend to find him so convincing when he does "rock". I still need to get to know this album better but so far the only songs that have really sunk in are "Ashes", "Fashion", and "Up the Hill Backwards".
Let's Dance: It seems to me this is three really, really good singles and nothing else at all.

Please delete my account
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2015, 01:48:31 PM »

can you guys please stop bumping newguy threads

please

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2015, 02:51:52 AM »

please
Bit of a naive question perhaps but what's the problem with newguy? Did he misbehave?

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Please delete my account
Smiley Smile Associate

Please delete my account

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2015, 04:47:05 AM »

please
Bit of a naive question perhaps but what's the problem with newguy? Did he misbehave?

Yes, he was very crass and rude and one of the most deserving of banishment.

No apologies for bumping this particular thread though. Bowie deserves a live thread.

Apologies however to Bowie, if he's reading this, for stopping at Let's Dance in my appraisal as if he had done nothing since then.
I've not heard his other eighties albums but I like "Blue Jean, "Loving the Alien" and the non-album "Absolute Beginners"
Not heard Tin Machine.
I always liked Black Tie White Noise though its not great all the way through. The first single "Jump They Say" I like better than all the aforementioned eighties songs.
Buddha of Suburbia has some great hidden gems like "Untitled 1"
I never heard 1. Outside till yesterday as I didn't like the singles but I was pleasantly surprised.
Earthling, ...hours...., Heathen, Reality: I've tried to listen to all of these at one time or another but couldn't get through any of them. Mostly because of the production I think. But maybe I've not been in the right mood when I heard them. The Jonathan Richman cover is a massacre.

I still don't like the production ofThe Next Day but I like many of the songs. Probably his best since Scary Monsters.
No real opinion yet on the two new songs. They seem good.

Please delete my account
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2015, 05:40:38 AM »

please
No, john, runners meant the opposite, as in he doesn't want to see any newguy topic bumped coz he misses him. Y'know, good times reminder. He said that before when another poster replied in a Newguy thread.
And no, in compare with some other posters, Newguy wasn't bad, just happened to make a lotta threads at a time, which annoyed everyone & their bro. But he was nice if you talk to him nice.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2015, 04:01:34 PM »

please
No, john, runners meant the opposite, as in he doesn't want to see any newguy topic bumped coz he misses him. Y'know, good times reminder. He said that before when another poster replied in a Newguy thread.
And no, in compare with some other posters, Newguy wasn't bad, just happened to make a lotta threads at a time, which annoyed everyone & their bro. But he was nice if you talk to him nice.

Naw, guy drove me fuckin' apewaste. I hate to be mean, I wouldn't say this if he were still around, but sheesh. Just... a lot of aimless negativity coupled with... well, I'm not gonna be mean. Cry
« Last Edit: January 23, 2015, 04:08:13 PM by runnersdialzero » Logged

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Michael Edward Osbourne
Smiley Smile Associate

My name is Lovecifer. Please take my hand. \m/

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2015, 08:24:50 AM »

I'm a big Trevor Bolder fan. The guy was one of the best bass players in rock, imo. So for me it's all about the Spiders From Mars era. My least fave Bowie is certainly Tonight. Just....blech....
« Last Edit: February 07, 2015, 06:48:19 PM by Mike Garneau » Logged
doinnothin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2015, 11:20:39 PM »

Station to Station is my absolute favorite. A wonderfully warm soup of vintage disco-rock the likes of which I've had 0 success finding again.

took me a while to understand what was going on in this thread. mainly because i thought that veggie was a bokchoy
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2015, 11:30:09 PM »

I am reaallllly looking forward to his new album.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2015, 01:27:19 AM »

I have a soft spot for the Heroes album. One track from it? "joe The Lion", with R. Fripp cutting loose towards the end:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvstpQGjPPc

Worst? Sorry, not my department.

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
KDS
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2015, 05:55:57 AM »

I'm a casual Bowie fan, but my favorite is the 70s glam / Ziggy era. 

There's really not a lot post Let's Dance that I like. 

Starman and Space Oddity are amazing, as are Ziggy Starbust and Ashes to Ashes.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx