gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681571 Posts in 27644 Topics by 4082 Members - Latest Member: briansclub June 15, 2024, 09:26:50 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: "Shelter" is the best song on the new record.  (Read 9124 times)
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2012, 06:38:27 AM »

Shelter has really grown on me!

Can anybody figure out what the background vocals sing (mainly Brian it seems) on the second chorus (starting ~2:12)?

"Some???  ? ? ? ? warm now"
"Something let's go home now"
"Some???    ? ? ? ? ? ?  now"
"Some???    to our home now"
"Some???   ? ? ? ? ? ? now"

I hear:
(jeff: i'll give shelter through the night)
"sunlight"
"keep you warm"
"sunlight"
"from the storm"
(mike: do you ever still think of me)
"sunlight"
"yes i will"
(and the way that we used to be)
"you know i will"
(do you think that you'd ever stay)
"yes i will"
(take a page out of yesterday)
"you know i will"
(we'll find a way)
"keep you warm"

i missed a couple but that's the gist.
STE
Smiley Smile Associate

"I'm not on top like I used to be"

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2012, 08:38:30 AM »

Actually I mean those quick vocals, mostly on  the right channel, buried under everything else.
Am I crazy??   Embarrassed

Nothgual
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2012, 08:47:21 AM »

Runaways seems to have gotten it right.  I think it's by far the best song on the album.  Those trumpet blasts during the verses nearly ruin it though.
The second day I had the album I got caught in a storm walking home.  Once I finally got home and dried off I immediately put on Shelter, not even realizing the coincidence in what I was doing.
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 12, 2012, 11:05:58 AM »

Is that Al doing the "yeah" parts the latter part of each verse?

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
Summertime Blooz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 12, 2012, 11:19:34 AM »

Anybody else try to figure what Brian's singing in the background near the end of the song? Sounds like "Some night- With you I hold tight- Some night- I won't hide- Hold Tight- With you I won't hide....." I dunno. It's sung so quick and buried in the mix so low that I'm having trouble deciphering it.

Please visit 'The American(a) Trip Slideshow' where you can watch the videos and listen to fan mixes of all the Smile songs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doOws3284PQ&list=PLptIp1kEl6BWNpXyJ_mb20W4ZqJ14-Hgg
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #30 on: June 12, 2012, 11:31:32 AM »

'Shelter' is probably in my top three least favourite songs on the album.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2012, 12:40:33 PM by Disney Boy (1985) » Logged
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 12, 2012, 11:39:23 AM »

'Shelter' is probably is my top three least favourite songs on the album.

wow, incredible

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 12, 2012, 11:40:49 AM »

I've listened to this song a little more.  It certainly has some brilliant moments, but I still can't get into it as a whole.  It's got SOME parts though that are right up there with Brian's best. 
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 12, 2012, 12:25:17 PM »

If this song had the Be-My-Baby/Don't-Worry-Baby drum beat at the beginning, it would be perfect!

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
STE
Smiley Smile Associate

"I'm not on top like I used to be"

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 12, 2012, 12:40:03 PM »

Anybody else try to figure what Brian's singing in the background near the end of the song? Sounds like "Some night- With you I hold tight- Some night- I won't hide- Hold Tight- With you I won't hide....." I dunno. It's sung so quick and buried in the mix so low that I'm having trouble deciphering it.

Yes, that's exactly what I'm asking a couple of posts above.  Thank you.. I was about to starting to think I'm hearing voices..

What I can decipher:

"Some???  keep you warm now" ??
"Something? let's go home now"
"Some???    ? ? ? ? ? ? warmer" ??

I'm pretty sure about "let's go home now" and "to our home now", but the rest could be anything.

Any "dog hears" out there?

Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #35 on: June 12, 2012, 12:40:52 PM »

'Shelter' is probably is my top three least favourite songs on the album.

wow, incredible

Thanks, Slim.
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 12, 2012, 03:51:16 PM »

Yes, that's exactly what I'm asking a couple of posts above.  Thank you.. I was about to starting to think I'm hearing voices..

What I can decipher:

I'm pretty sure about "let's go home now" and "to our home now", but the rest could be anything.

No, I've been straining to figure this out since I got the cd. Can't do it. Also, Foskett sounds great on this, the only guy "in the group" that could pull this off.  Clearly written with Carl n mind and the first few times I heard this all I could think was what could have been. Now I just accept this for wht it is, which is a great song.  If you want someone who DOES sound like Carl, his son Justyn is your guy, though...

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 12, 2012, 09:15:03 PM »

i'm pretty sure what i posted is close
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 15, 2012, 08:38:08 AM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWDjR9BEYAg

Christian is way more Carl-esque than Jeff.

It's like Carl, Bruce, and Mike had a gay, incestual love child. And it was awesome (both the conception and the resulting love child, that is.)

He sounds really good here. Again, remind me why he and Matt Jardine were snubbed from at least appearing on the new album? They're of the same blood and their voices seem extremely appropriate for the blend. If they can't tour or you don't want them to tour, fine, but their presence on the album would've made it even better than it is. But naw, foder 'em. Christian's voice isn't very good, sounding somewhere between Carl and Bruce's. Matt Jardine's falsetto on parts of "Don't Fight The Sea" isn't the closest I've heard to anyone sounding like Brian in the early 70s, even if it's still pretty far off from it. Naw, let's just give Jeff a bunch of leads and have him double Brian (and seemingly others) on several songs, because none of the actual Beach Boys are able to sing the chorus of "Shelter". Tired, bloated wailing has always been an essential part of the Beach Boys sound, right? Right. That's Why Jeff Made The Reunion. ^_^

Doesn't have anything to do with objective quality. Has to do with what Brian is comfortable with and wants to do. He is comfortable with Jeff and wants him to sing those parts on the record.

Just because something is thought to be Brian's intent doesn't mean we have to like it or agree with the decision.

I'm sure Jeff's position as one of Brian's handlers gives him leverage in cases similar to this, though. I can't imagine, "No, Jeff, someone else is gonna do falsetto on the album/tour/whatever," would go over well with some people, for instance. Yes, this is the part of the post that could be viewed as a bit irrational - if you think it's too much, that's fair, refer to the former point.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2012, 08:46:04 AM by runnersdialzero » Logged

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 15, 2012, 08:47:42 AM »

What I can decipher:

No, I've been straining to figure this out since I got the cd. Can't do it. Also, Foskett sounds great on this, the only guy "in the group" that could pull this off.  Clearly written with Carl n mind and the first few times I heard this all I could think was what could have been. Now I just accept this for wht it is, which is a great song.  If you want someone who DOES sound like Carl, his son Justyn is your guy, though...

I posted the lyrics like five posts up.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx