gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681631 Posts in 27650 Topics by 4085 Members - Latest Member: RZLSommer June 21, 2024, 08:16:28 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: "Shelter" is the best song on the new record.  (Read 9159 times)
b00ts
Smiley Smile Associate

Greldont

View Profile WWW
« on: June 04, 2012, 04:00:58 PM »

Originally, I was obsessed with the ending suite and "Isn't it Time." I always liked "Shelter" but I didnt realize how just Gosh Darn good it is! Today, I woke up with it in my head.

"Shelter" is a Brian Wilson classic, but it is a grower, much like "Breakaway." Also like "Breakaway," it is deceptively complex, with a ton of melody, harmony, and dynamic shifts.

The instrumentation and arrangement are pure Brian Wilson, unlike "Spring Vacation" and "Strange World," and the syncopated harmonies at the end, call and response between left and right channels, are otherworldly.

Jeff does a great job on this tune, although of course I would love to hear Christian Love sing it - the calls out for a Carl Wilson-style timbre, and as we can hear on "Daybreak Over the Ocean," Christian's voice is the closest thing going.

Lyrically, it is top-notch Brian material as well. "Hanging out in our shelter..." Like the tag of "That's Why God Made the Radio" and the scatting on "From Here to Back Again," Mike is utilized perfectly.

Brian and Joes' lyric takes us through all the various uses of shelter, which many of us take for granted in our day to day life (except on the first of every month). I love that the song goes from a macro viewpoint to a personal angle, where it sounds like Brian is wistful for the old days, perhaps with Marilyn or an ex-Lover.

Then, there is that short guitar figure that ends the song, wrapping it up in a perfect package. I can't believe how good this song is, and how much it's grown on me. Anyone agree?

- B00ts
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2012, 04:07:40 PM »

I loved it from the first sample. It is SO BW, you're right about that. The opening drum thing is wierd though. Can't get used to it.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
Summertime Blooz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2012, 04:09:57 PM »

So what you're saying is "gimme Shelter" over all the other songs on the album, right?

I was saying a couple weeks ago that I thought this would be the best choice for a second single, so I certainly agree with you that the tune is aces. Yeah, aces.

Please visit 'The American(a) Trip Slideshow' where you can watch the videos and listen to fan mixes of all the Smile songs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doOws3284PQ&list=PLptIp1kEl6BWNpXyJ_mb20W4ZqJ14-Hgg
Craig Feldspar
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2012, 04:11:12 PM »

agree, sounds like a lost hit from the 60s. Love the jangly guitars and the harpsichord. Like it more and more everyday. Jeff does a fine job but I know what you mean about Carl singing it.
Sea Devil
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2012, 04:14:53 PM »

My girlfriend is saying 'Yes, this definitely is the best song on the album'.. I love it, not sure if I can rip that title from FTTBA right now though.

Still Lurkin'
Eireannach
Smiley Smile Associate

bedårar

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2012, 04:16:31 PM »

I love the sentiment, because I would have Shelter as my #2, but nothing touches PCH.
onkster
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2012, 04:20:52 PM »

The chorus is nigh-on perfect.
Zach95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2012, 04:28:25 PM »

I'm not sure if this is the best (I haven't even heard the entire album!) but this song immediately struck a chord with me.  I love your comparison to Breakaway, boots. It has that same sort of vibe.  I really dig this song, and the first time I heard those vocals on the last chorus I felt that feeling when something is really, truly special, I don't know how else to describe it.  A sort of vibe came over me and I really connected with the lyrics and the melody.  What a spectacular song.

Ain't nothin' upside your head!
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2012, 04:58:21 PM »

I love that this sog has two lead ins to the chorus, and they're both awesome, then the chorus is awesome on top of that. So good.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2012, 05:02:13 PM »

NO ONE LAFFIN AT GOD IN A HOSPITAL

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Phoenix
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2012, 05:56:23 PM »

The opening drum thing is wierd though. Can't get used to it.

I can't not think of the following whenever I hear it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8KKH1Ce4Rw
ArchStanton
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2012, 06:35:12 PM »

I love the chorus.  The chorus is so much better than the verses IMO that I just want them over and back to more of the chorus Smiley
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2012, 06:45:59 PM »

It's such an oddly structured song -- verse, verse part 2, prechorus, chorus, chorus part 2.

Shelter is practically its own suite!

That being said, a friend said this song explained itself too much, which is an interesting criticism.
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2012, 06:53:42 PM »

It's such an oddly structured song -- verse, verse part 2, prechorus, chorus, chorus part 2.

That being said, a friend said this song explained itself too much, which is an interesting criticism.

It's over-composed, like This isn't love. But I dig it.

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
b00ts
Smiley Smile Associate

Greldont

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2012, 06:57:01 PM »

I'm not sure if this is the best (I haven't even heard the entire album!) but this song immediately struck a chord with me.  I love your comparison to Breakaway, boots. It has that same sort of vibe.  I really dig this song, and the first time I heard those vocals on the last chorus I felt that feeling when something is really, truly special, I don't know how else to describe it.  A sort of vibe came over me and I really connected with the lyrics and the melody.  What a spectacular song.
Thanks Zach. Yeah, the vocals on the last chorus are like a gift to the listener. Definitive proof that Brian Wilson is here in 2012, rocking peoples' dicks off with the Beach Boys vocal blend (and delegating for other, non-dick rocking jobs).

- B00ts
b00ts
Smiley Smile Associate

Greldont

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2012, 06:58:00 PM »

Yes, exactly! It is that type of Brian composition that shows how much effort he put into it. I can understand your friend's criticism and what Lenny said about it being "overcomposed," but to me, it is right in the sweet spot. Gorgeous.

- B00ts
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2012, 02:27:54 AM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWDjR9BEYAg

Christian is way more Carl-esque than Jeff.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2012, 02:40:13 AM »

It's like Carl, Bruce, and Mike had a gay, incestual love child. And it was awesome (both the conception and the resulting love child, that is.)

He sounds really good here. Again, remind me why he and Matt Jardine were snubbed from at least appearing on the new album? They're of the same blood and their voices seem extremely appropriate for the blend. If they can't tour or you don't want them to tour, fine, but their presence on the album would've made it even better than it is. But naw, f*** 'em. Christian's voice isn't very good, sounding somewhere between Carl and Bruce's. Matt Jardine's falsetto on parts of "Don't Fight The Sea" isn't the closest I've heard to anyone sounding like Brian in the early 70s, even if it's still pretty far off from it. Naw, let's just give Jeff a bunch of leads and have him double Brian (and seemingly others) on several songs, because none of the actual Beach Boys are able to sing the chorus of "Shelter". Tired, bloated wailing has always been an essential part of the Beach Boys sound, right? Right. That's Why Jeff Made The Reunion. ^_^
« Last Edit: June 05, 2012, 02:45:05 AM by runnersdialzero » Logged

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Jonathan Blum
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2012, 06:59:46 AM »

Thanks Zach. Yeah, the vocals on the last chorus are like a gift to the listener. Definitive proof that Brian Wilson is here in 2012, rocking peoples' dicks off with the Beach Boys vocal blend (and delegating for other, non-dick rocking jobs).

...You have no idea how much I needed that laugh right now!

Cheers,
Jon Blum
b00ts
Smiley Smile Associate

Greldont

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2012, 11:01:27 AM »

Jeff does a great job on this tune, although of course I would love to hear Christian Love sing it - the calls out for a Carl Wilson-style timbre, and as we can hear on "Daybreak Over the Ocean," Christian's voice is the closest thing going.

Let me not agree with you and say that Jeff's voice fits to this song perfectly and I wouldn't include Christian's vocals to it at all. Also I don't see any similarities between his and Carl's voices. At least from what I've heard. Not saying Christian has the bad voice.
I'm far from a Jeff-hater, and I don't mind his voice on Brian's solo records, or on TWGMTR as a whole. I just think rhat certain leads, such as the "Shelter" lead, would be better handled by someone with Wilson/Love blood. Brian is still clearly writing for Carl's voice, and sometimes Jeff does a fairly-decent impersonation of Carl (such as on the title track); people who don't know that Carl is dead might even assume that it is Carl, and his voice has changed quite a bit. This is because Jeff is parroting Carl's enunciation and vocal timbre to the best of his ability.

In "Shelter," though, his voice sticks out like a sore thumb to me; it is plastic-sounding, like the singer from a tribute band. Again, I like Jeff and he is a good singer, but his voice would work better in The Beach Boys blend if it was mixed in with Christian Love or even a bit more Bruce Johnston falsetto. A good example is the "Goodbye" at the end of "Pacific Coast Highway." Jeff dominates the mix here, and it makes it less definably 'Beach Boys' than some of the other harmony blocks on the album.

I am also wondering if many of these Jeff vocals were laid down as placeholders - Jeff apparently records all the placeholder vocals and the boys come in and redo their parts. Perhaps he didn't have a chance to redo them on "Shelter" and would have otherwise given a more emotive performance.

- B00ts
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2012, 09:44:30 PM »

No problems with Jeff. I think i've come to thinking this is the best non-suite song on the album.  I love the sh*t out of it.  The harpsichord in the background and the french horn on the chorus!  I keep hearing more stuff on this track.   and i really love when brian is singing "moonlight" "sunlight" and he's answering Jeff and Mike's vocals with "from the storm", "you know i will".  And it ends so sweetly too.  This song has already surpassed some of the old singles for me. 
the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2012, 10:29:10 PM »

Let me not agree with you and say that Jeff's voice fits to this song perfectly and I wouldn't include Christian's vocals to it at all. Also I don't see any similarities between his and Carl's voices. At least from what I've heard. Not saying Christian has the bad voice.
I'm far from a Jeff-hater, and I don't mind his voice on Brian's solo records, or on TWGMTR as a whole. I just think rhat certain leads, such as the "Shelter" lead, would be better handled by someone with Wilson/Love blood. Brian is still clearly writing for Carl's voice, and sometimes Jeff does a fairly-decent impersonation of Carl (such as on the title track); people who don't know that Carl is dead might even assume that it is Carl, and his voice has changed quite a bit. This is because Jeff is parroting Carl's enunciation and vocal timbre to the best of his ability.

In "Shelter," though, his voice sticks out like a sore thumb to me; it is plastic-sounding, like the singer from a tribute band. Again, I like Jeff and he is a good singer, but his voice would work better in The Beach Boys blend if it was mixed in with Christian Love or even a bit more Bruce Johnston falsetto. A good example is the "Goodbye" at the end of "Pacific Coast Highway." Jeff dominates the mix here, and it makes it less definably 'Beach Boys' than some of the other harmony blocks on the album.

I am also wondering if many of these Jeff vocals were laid down as placeholders - Jeff apparently records all the placeholder vocals and the boys come in and redo their parts. Perhaps he didn't have a chance to redo them on "Shelter" and would have otherwise given a more emotive performance.

bOOts, during the a-chorus of shelter and the "raise a glass" bridge of IIT, I too, despite my desire to support Jeff for all his caring love of Brian and the BB, sort of strain my ears either to hear the BB in the background or to brace myself till it's over.

5 BB live; one of them ought to have sung those parts, with Jeff doing some Carl parts in the mixes.

This is my only disappointment with the record.  That and the oddity of Dave not being credited with singing, when it's obvious he is. (I have no idea why, but there must be a reason>
onkster
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2012, 10:55:43 PM »

What's so great about "Shelter" is: it starts off sounding like just a happy, feel-good song--then shifts to that part with the fast bits ("make a little love") which takes it up a notch in sophisticaion, then...

...that pause...then...

...the chorus, that just sounds like a lovely mid-60s BB hook...then...

...now that he's into our hearts, Brian turns the knife a bit with the part that begins "do you still ever think of me..." and we're no longer in the feel-good present. It's looking back, with wistfulness and regret, and a dim hope of making up. That's what kills me. It's the wonderful, truthful, painful core in the middle of what you thought was that feel-good song, and suddenly you're feeling something so much more real, more mature, more in-depth, than you bargained for.

I adore the "suite" stuff on the album, but this song actually began to haunt me. Couldn't get that chorus out of my head, and it was making me look back and wonder how a great relationship in which nothing seemed wrong can end..."when the world was just you and me, hanging out in our shelter". That's exactly how things started off with my ex-wife and me, and, well...it's a whole different world now.

We've been very lucky not just to get a new Beach Boys album that sounds good, but actually moves you.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2012, 11:03:09 PM »

It's like Carl, Bruce, and Mike had a gay, incestual love child. And it was awesome (both the conception and the resulting love child, that is.)

He sounds really good here. Again, remind me why he and Matt Jardine were snubbed from at least appearing on the new album? They're of the same blood and their voices seem extremely appropriate for the blend. If they can't tour or you don't want them to tour, fine, but their presence on the album would've made it even better than it is. But naw, f*ck 'em. Christian's voice isn't very good, sounding somewhere between Carl and Bruce's. Matt Jardine's falsetto on parts of "Don't Fight The Sea" isn't the closest I've heard to anyone sounding like Brian in the early 70s, even if it's still pretty far off from it. Naw, let's just give Jeff a bunch of leads and have him double Brian (and seemingly others) on several songs, because none of the actual Beach Boys are able to sing the chorus of "Shelter". Tired, bloated wailing has always been an essential part of the Beach Boys sound, right? Right. That's Why Jeff Made The Reunion. ^_^

Doesn't have anything to do with objective quality. Has to do with what Brian is comfortable with and wants to do. He is comfortable with Jeff and wants him to sing those parts on the record.
STE
Smiley Smile Associate

"I'm not on top like I used to be"

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2012, 06:11:49 AM »

Shelter has really grown on me!

Can anybody figure out what the background vocals sing (mainly Brian it seems) on the second chorus (starting ~2:12)?

"Some???  ? ? ? ? warm now"
"Something let's go home now"
"Some???    ? ? ? ? ? ?  now"
"Some???    to our home now"
"Some???   ? ? ? ? ? ? now"

gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx