gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680747 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 18, 2024, 11:55:40 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Front Row Center - The Beach Boys Doing It Again  (Read 47008 times)
superunison
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2012, 08:58:46 PM »

Seriously, is anyone else finding it impossible to lock down any info on when this is going to be on? There's no centralized website for the show, I can't tell what station it will even be on in my area, time etc.... The aptonline site is not helping me at all really.  The where to watch function is not bringing up anything, not even a "not available in your area" result....If anyone can help, I live in Los Angeles CA! Home of The Beach Boys! Well, Glendale actually... A heads up would be much appreciated.  KCET? KOCE?
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2012, 09:11:35 PM »

It's most likely the new date that was mentioned earlier.  No doubt when the time comes you can expect some announcement on their Facebook to which someone will repost that confirmation here.
Dave Modny
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2012, 09:42:15 PM »

The aptonline site is not helping me at all really.  The where to watch function is not bringing up anything, not even a "not available in your area" result....If anyone can help, I live in Los Angeles CA! Home of The Beach Boys! Well, Glendale actually... A heads up would be much appreciated.  KCET? KOCE?

It worked perfectly for me when I put a Los Angeles Zip code into the Where To Watch drop-down. Front Row Center airs on both on KLCS and KOCE (on an OTA sub-channel for KOCE). However, they only go a few weeks into the future with their schedule, so they may (or may not) be running it on those channels at a later date in your area. That is, it appears some folks are getting it  in July. So, you should probably keep checking back there from time-to-time. Smiley

Here's the upcoming airdates for FRC episodes  on those two stations.

KOCE (sub-channel 50.2)

PBS - OC | Channel #: 50.2

FRI, JUN 8
Phil Collins: Going Back - Live at the Roseland Ballroom   •11:00 AM
SAT, JUN 9
Phil Collins: Going Back - Live at the Roseland Ballroom   •08:00 AM
SUN, JUN 10
Train   •8:00 PM
MON, JUN 11
   •08:00 AM
WED, JUN 13
Train   •9:00 PM
FRI, JUN 15
Train   •11:00 AM
SAT, JUN 16
Train   •08:00 AM
SUN, JUN 17
Moby   •8:00 PM
MON, JUN 18
   •08:00 AMWED, JUN 20
Moby   •9:00 PM
FRI, JUN 22
Moby   •11:00 AM
SAT, JUN 23
Moby   •08:00 AM

KLCS ( 58.1)

KLCS | Channel #: 58.1
FRI, JUN 8
Cheap Trick   •10:00 PM
SAT, JUN 9
Cheap Trick   •04:00 AM
FRI, JUN 15
O.A.R.   •10:00 PM
FRI, JUN 22
Bachman & Turner   •10:00 PM

« Last Edit: June 07, 2012, 09:44:28 PM by Dave Modny » Logged
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: June 08, 2012, 05:14:56 PM »

The KQED (San Francisco) website has updated info for the BB episode (which my cable on-screen guide confirms):

KQED Plus
Sun, Jun 10, 2012 -- 11:00pm
Mon, Jun 11, 2012 -- 5:00am
Thu, Jul 5, 2012 -- 11:00pm
Fri, Jul 6, 2012 -- 5:00am 
KQED 9
Sat, Jul 14, 2012 -- 6:00pm

So it looks like on this station, we'll get to see it on Sunday night if you have the "Plus" station. I get that station, but for some reason it's not in HD, while the main "9" station is, so I guess I'll have a crack at seeing in HD in July.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Lisa Bonahue
Smiley Smile Associate

New York State Rep BBFC

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: June 08, 2012, 07:02:37 PM »

If you live in the NY area it is supposed to be on tomorrow night (Saturday) on WMHT channel 15 at 8PM according to the schedule  Smiley

I find that a relaxed work environment can be achieved through balance. Come in late, leave early....works for me.
JanBerryFarm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 08, 2012, 07:35:44 PM »

It took some detective work, but.......for all you Oregonian BB people......

Saturday July 14th is the air date for (OPB) Oregon Public Broadcastings slot for the Beach Boys. In an incredibley short-sighted and selfish move, OPB selected the same night that THE BEACH BOYS perform live here, in Eugene, Or.

Go figure.

Then, in another superb bit of public (AND GOVERNMENTAL) funded scheduling, they see fit to run it again, the following Monday morning, July 16th, at 4:00 AM!

Cool, eh ? Thanks alot, OH-PEE-BEE.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2012, 12:34:42 AM by JanBerryFarm » Logged

~Hawaiian Shirts Are For Barneys~
Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #31 on: June 08, 2012, 08:01:24 PM »

If you live in the NY area it is supposed to be on tomorrow night (Saturday) on WMHT channel 15 at 8PM according to the schedule  Smiley

So we get to see it before everyone else?  Evil
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 08, 2012, 08:26:18 PM »

The KQED (San Francisco) website has updated info for the BB episode (which my cable on-screen guide confirms):

KQED Plus
Sun, Jun 10, 2012 -- 11:00pm
Mon, Jun 11, 2012 -- 5:00am
Thu, Jul 5, 2012 -- 11:00pm
Fri, Jul 6, 2012 -- 5:00am 
KQED 9
Sat, Jul 14, 2012 -- 6:00pm

So it looks like on this station, we'll get to see it on Sunday night if you have the "Plus" station. I get that station, but for some reason it's not in HD, while the main "9" station is, so I guess I'll have a crack at seeing in HD in July.

Don't know what "KQED Plus" is, but I get KQED Channel 9 and KQED Channel 9.1 (HD). The provider is Comcast.

Thanks for the heads-up, Jude!  Weird hours though.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Dave Modny
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 08, 2012, 09:11:17 PM »

Don't know what "KQED Plus" is, but I get KQED Channel 9 and KQED Channel 9.1 (HD). The provider is Comcast.

KQED Plus is a standard-def, digital sub-channel. Most cable providers don't carry sub-channels, so the only way to get it is OTA with an antenna (and obviously a digital TV tuner or DTV converter box). Smiley

Sort of sad that the show is shot in HD and so many PBS affiliates are only showing it on one of their SD sub-channels (and those are usually fairly compressed), if they're even showing it at all. As noted, it's a purchased show, but it's such a waste to put it there.

You folks getting it in HD are lucky. Hopefully, somebody will grab it.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2012, 12:43:24 AM by Dave Modny » Logged
Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #34 on: June 09, 2012, 09:13:14 PM »

Nice program. Classy looking. Guitar lesson from David Marks. Extended footage of GV sessions. Couple of performances mixed in. Funny story from Bruce regarding Denny and some miners.
the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 09, 2012, 11:20:24 PM »

anyone have the LA show times?
Mitch
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 10, 2012, 08:46:43 AM »

Looking forward to seeing the PBS show.  Saw them in Bethlehem,Pa. Inspiring.
Dove Nested Towers
Smiley Smile Associate

Goodnight, Mrs. Calabash, wherever you are!

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 11, 2012, 12:59:50 AM »

Just stumbled across most of the show here in SF on PBS, missed the beginning. Pretty standard career retrospective, tour footage interspersed. Nice new footage of Brian playing WIBN beautifully on piano (somewhat marred by voice-over), & playing & singing the tag. His interview segments at the piano, reminiscing about his relationship with Paul McCartney etc. are extremely relaxed & animated. Highlight is the full silent GV session footage, wedded to the single and studio chatter. Probably edited by Alan Boyd, fine job. Can't remember whether 100% of this footage accompanies GV live on the tour (most of it does), wasn't watching the monitor at the beginning of the song at the concert I attended. Seems to almost definitely be more here, perhaps the 1st time it's been seen in its entirety. The beginning esp. is astonishing, Brian's presence is seething with fervor and is absolutely mesmerizing in its intensity and passion. SUCH amazing footage! Want to see this portion of the show again (repeatedly).

"The police aren't there to create disorder,
they're there to preserve disorder!" -Mayor
Daly, Chicago 1968
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: June 11, 2012, 01:32:09 PM »

Watched this last night. It was okay. Certainly the most BB content I've seen broadcast on TV in ages. It was a bit of "history of the band" doc, a bit of "making of the album", and a bit of new live footage. Not enough of any of those categories to make this a great TV special, but it was nice.

The history of the band didn't have much new info, maybe a story here or there. The "archival footage" was mostly common stuff we've seen, with the exception of the B&W videotape footage over the credits of Bruce, Carl, Al, and Mike circa '71 or '72 singing "Their Hearts Were Full of Spring."

The new live footage looked okay. Sounded like plenty of mixing was done to make it all sound a bit more sharp. Dunno how much literal post-production was done, as in post-show overdubbing. The only song that sounded really weird was "That's Why God Made the Radio", where it sounded like they took the live recording, and then dubbed back in some of the backing vocals from the studio recording. It didn't sound like post-production overdubbing, as the cadence and delivery of some of the backing vocals was identical to the studio recording.  The other songs didn't sound too weird I suppose.

I certainly hope and eventual DVD sounds better, as they did get tighter as the shows went on. The camera work was a bit annoying just in terms of too many twisty crane shots. Kind of overly-staged looking close-ups.

But it was cool to see everything.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2012, 01:34:00 PM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: June 11, 2012, 01:33:26 PM »

Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 11, 2012, 08:05:31 PM »

I tuned into PBS at 11pm last night like the schedule said, and there was was no Beach Boys. Some other show was on. Don't know what you guys watched, but I saw some show about nutritious food.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Dave Modny
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 11, 2012, 10:11:31 PM »

I tuned into PBS at 11pm last night like the schedule said, and there was was no Beach Boys. Some other show was on. Don't know what you guys watched, but I saw some show about nutritious food.

Did you tune into the KQED Plus subchannel? Again, according to the schedule above, it wasn't on the main San Fran PBS channel on the 10th. Smiley

On the other hand, as also noted in the above schedule, it appears that it will be on the main PBS channel in July for your area (i.e. KQED 9 - Sat, Jul 14, 2012 -- 6:00pm).
« Last Edit: June 11, 2012, 10:21:27 PM by Dave Modny » Logged
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 11, 2012, 10:40:16 PM »

Yeah, I guess I don't get the subchannel, Dave.  Just KQED 9 and 9.1.  I'll wait for the July airing. Thanks for the heads up! Maybe this show will end up on a DVD or something in the future.

Dave Modny
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 11, 2012, 10:57:03 PM »

Yeah, I guess I don't get the subchannel, Dave.  Just KQED 9 and 9.1.  I'll wait for the July airing. Thanks for the heads up! Maybe this show will end up on a DVD or something in the future.

Hi Mikie,

For future reference, you might get the KQED subchannels on Comcast in San Fran. That is, I found a Comcast-San Francisco channel lineup that shows the Plus channel. Jude would probably know for sure, as I believe he's in the SF area as well. Anyway, you'll probably be better off with that July airing on the main channel (assuming it's correct), as it will be in HD and at a higher native bitrate.

For me, I finally got my antenna situation straightened out, so hopefully I'll be able to pull it in here in Cleveland, over-the-air, from the Akron PBS channel this upcoming Saturday (also on a  standard-def subchannel). I have Dish Network, and they don't carry any subchannels. Smiley
« Last Edit: June 11, 2012, 11:29:41 PM by Dave Modny » Logged
STE
Smiley Smile Associate

"I'm not on top like I used to be"

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 11, 2012, 11:26:52 PM »

Thanks for the reports!!

Now the question is the usual...  did anyone record it?

Dave Modny
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 11, 2012, 11:33:26 PM »

The only song that sounded really weird was "That's Why God Made the Radio", where it sounded like they took the live recording, and then dubbed back in some of the backing vocals from the studio recording. It didn't sound like post-production overdubbing, as the cadence and delivery of some of the backing vocals was identical to the studio recording. 

This sounds similar to what they did with the song for the Sirius concert as well. I'm truly looking forward to catching the new special on Saturday.
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 11, 2012, 11:59:46 PM »

I have family in San Jose and they get confused by it too but KQED Plus is a new name for Channel 54 in San Jose and it  has always been their PBS channel there.  KQED in San Fran bought the San Jose station out a few years ago and now they changed the name to KQED Plus in the past couple of years but it's still broadcast on Channel 54 if you have an antenna.  I think they changed their tower so people all over the area can get it similar to what Channel 11 did when they were bought by NBC.  It's not a digital sub but a regular channel.  If you have cable the channel is on Channel 10 on most cable systems. Or look to see where they have Channel 54 if it's not on Channel 10. 
Dave Modny
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 12, 2012, 01:16:13 AM »

I have family in San Jose and they get confused by it too but KQED Plus is a new name for Channel 54 in San Jose and it  has always been their PBS channel there.  KQED in San Fran bought the San Jose station out a few years ago and now they changed the name to KQED Plus in the past couple of years but it's still broadcast on Channel 54 if you have an antenna.  I think they changed their tower so people all over the area can get it similar to what Channel 11 did when they were bought by NBC.  It's not a digital sub but a regular channel.  If you have cable the channel is on Channel 10 on most cable systems. Or look to see where they have Channel 54 if it's not on Channel 10.  

Hi KittyKat,

Is it possible that in the direct San Fran market that the Plus channel is still available as an OTA digital subchannel? That is, according to the RabbitEarsInfo site (which is updated on a regular basis and which I use all the time), it's still showing KQED Plus as a digital sub in the San Fran area -- 9.2 digital...or 30.2 as a physical channel -- albeit with the call letters that you reference. Also, it shows in the notes as KQEH, channel 54, which it appears is indeed the San Jose mirror that you're talking about (i.e. they simply mirror the digital sub over to the main San Jose- 54 channel and use those same KQEH call letters...both 480i standard def). Thus, it appears to be available both ways depending on where one is located. Smiley

Click on KQED here...and simply follow the trail:

http://www.rabbitears.info/market.php?mktid=6
« Last Edit: June 12, 2012, 01:37:42 AM by Dave Modny » Logged
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 12, 2012, 08:03:50 AM »

The only song that sounded really weird was "That's Why God Made the Radio", where it sounded like they took the live recording, and then dubbed back in some of the backing vocals from the studio recording. It didn't sound like post-production overdubbing, as the cadence and delivery of some of the backing vocals was identical to the studio recording.

This sounds similar to what they did with the song for the Sirius concert as well. I'm truly looking forward to catching the new special on Saturday.

What new special on Saturday???

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
Dave Modny
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 12, 2012, 09:16:15 AM »

What new special on Saturday???

The one we're talking about in this thread -- Front Row Center on PBS. It's airing on Saturday night in my area. Smiley

gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx