gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680749 Posts in 27614 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 07:41:34 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Yet another ill-fated project idea from Aeijtzsche  (Read 3328 times)
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« on: April 05, 2006, 04:20:11 PM »

This isn't strictly Beach Boys related, but I feel like this is a decent arena to mention this.

I just became re-aware of the documentary done about the musicians on the Motown tracks, called "Standing in the shadows of Motown".

There are also two soundtrack albums for it.  The soundtrack features instrumental "stack-o-track" type mixes of Motown hits.

So, I think that somebody (I, thus the ill-fated nature of it) should make a documentary about the "Wrecking Crew".  True, there were so many of them that it's harder to tell their story as a singular entity, but I think it could be done.  Where Motown was a story of locals making something of themselves, The Wrecking Crew story could almost be presented as some sort of microcosm of the american dream itself; the players represent a melting pot of people.  A lot of them were from the midwest, or the plains for instance.

Then of course, the soundtrack album could be incredible.  Instrumental versions of Beach Boys, Mamas and Papas, Sinatra, maybe some Movie Soundtrack stuff, Jan and Dean, and many many more.

What do you guys think?  Commercially viable?
GoofyJeff
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2006, 04:25:03 PM »

Go for it man, and if you finish it and get it released, you can be sure that I'll buy a few copies.    Smiley

"Because of the attitude of a few mental dinosaurs intent on exploiting our initial success, Brian's huge talent has never been fully appreciated in America and the potential of the group has been stifled.... If the Beatles had suffered this kind of misrepresentation, they would have never got past singing 'Please Please Me' and 'I Wanna Hold Your Hand' and leaping around in Beatle suits."
-Dennis Wilson, 1970
PMcC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2006, 04:30:28 PM »

Sounds like a lot of money for production. You may have to scare up some backers to get the job done right, and distributed correctly. I would love it, and could not think of a better topic to keep my attention. Make it 90 min and I may even see it on PBS, and DVD

"Anytime I want to hear the Beach Boys, I put on a Brian Wilson CD"-Paul McClelland
Alan Boyd
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2006, 04:41:10 PM »

As far as I know, there may be a couple of documentaries about the "Wrecking Crew" already in the works, projects that have been in production for years now.  I secured a Brian interview for someone who was filming one a few years back.

But it's got to be an awfully hard project to sell to a network or distributor since so few people out there in TV land even know what "the Wrecking Crew" means.  And if there are going to be any songs in such a film, the sync licensing costs alone will be astronomical, since we're talking about very popular songs - and unlike a Motown project which would have had the support of Motown itself, publishing and master recordings of songs played by the Wrecking Crew aren't controlled by any one company.  Sadly,  the costs of licensing music have risen exponentially in the last few years as all of these record and publishing companies keep getting swallowed up in merger after merger.
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2006, 05:08:31 PM »

You know Alan...I've recently gained a whole new appreciation of the "sync license". They are a beautiful thing for old washed up musicians like myself.
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2006, 05:11:52 PM »

Yeah, good points.  It was rather convienient that Motown was just one label, (unbelievable that one label could turn out such consistently good stuff) that makes everything much easier.  Too bad the Motown CD didn't have instrumental mixes of any LA motown stuff.

I'd like to see a Nashville A-team thing, too.  
Susan
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2006, 06:35:42 PM »

Probably not the least bit commercially viable, for all the reasons mentioned above, but man - that would be a fascinating project!

All of My Dad's Truck's on-line tracks all in one place!
Charles LePage @ ComicList
Chairman Of The Board

Hit me with your pet shark.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2006, 06:42:13 PM »

Straight to DVD, sold via the internet, could sell a decent amount.

"quiet here, no one got crap to say?" - bringahorseinhere
b.dfzo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2006, 08:04:12 PM »

Speaking of the Funk Brothers 2 disc soundtrack, I am listening to it right now.  The backing tracks are brilliant!
Susan
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2006, 03:10:33 AM »

Straight to DVD, sold via the internet, could sell a decent amount.

Enough to pay for all the sync lisencing?  Not so sure about that...i think that costs a nyitload of money...

All of My Dad's Truck's on-line tracks all in one place!
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2006, 05:48:53 AM »

The most interesting thing about SITSOM was that it was about musicians that hardly anyone knows, even though they played on hundreds of top 40 hits.

The same thing goes for the Wrecking Crew. If they'd make a documentary about them, advertise it as some sort of 'follow up' to SITSOM, mention the number of hit songs they played on and do some name dropping, I think it could be just as big a hit as SITSOM.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx