gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 12:17:30 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: TWGMTR Official Reviews  (Read 16540 times)
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« on: June 04, 2012, 03:49:17 AM »

Not sure if there is a  consolidated thread for press reviews yet, or whether it's necessary but here goes anyway.

3 1/2 stars and a very positive review from All Music:

http://www.allmusic.com/album/thats-why-god-made-the-radio-mw0002362118

And looking slightly jaundiced on Metacritic (although early days to be fair):

http://www.metacritic.com/music/thats-why-god-made-the-radio

Guardian (3 stars), for anyone that missed it:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2012/may/31/beach-boys-thats-why-review

Independent (3 stars):

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/music/reviews/album-the-beach-boys-thats-why-god-made-the-radio-capitol-7813308.html
« Last Edit: June 04, 2012, 05:05:14 AM by buddhahat » Logged

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2012, 03:58:06 AM »

John and Linda McCartney's 1971 album composed at their farm in Scotland is re-released as a four CD/DVD set that includes the original mono recording,

Gotta love hate metacritic

buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2012, 04:02:38 AM »

John and Linda McCartney's 1971 album composed at their farm in Scotland is re-released as a four CD/DVD set that includes the original mono recording,

Gotta love hate metacritic

Grin

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
Sea Devil
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2012, 04:03:14 AM »

All Music is usually my go-to site for reviews, but the grammar in that article was appalling!

Still Lurkin'
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2012, 04:23:30 AM »

I just read this and realized that the lyric in Spring Vacation is "Easy Money" NOT "Peas And Honey"...I knew that couldn't be right, but I kept listening over and over and couldn't decipher it.  Now I know!  Cheesy
RCTID
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2012, 04:39:56 AM »

I just read this and realized that the lyric in Spring Vacation is "Easy Money" NOT "Peas And Honey"...I knew that couldn't be right, but I kept listening over and over and couldn't decipher it.  Now I know!  Cheesy

i thought it was "Bees and Honey" for a while.

"you've got the beach boys...your firms got the stones"
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2012, 05:43:24 AM »

heeeyyyy 3.5/5 from allmusic is pretty good.  i'm not gonna look at metacritic too much.  I don't think it's gonna get much better than 3/5
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2012, 09:03:11 AM »

allmusic gives 4/5 to almost anything that gets released. It gives 4.5 and 5 to many that dont deserve it. Slightly optimistic critics at that site for my taste but great for the group!  Grin
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2012, 09:08:53 AM »

allmusic gives 4/5 to almost anything that gets released. It gives 4.5 and 5 to many that dont deserve it. Slightly optimistic critics at that site for my taste but great for the group!  Grin

They gave 2/5 to a great Rufus wainwright album and some really good mando diao albums.  So I have my issues with them ha.  I think TLOS got a 3/5 from them
Sound of Free
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2012, 09:41:41 AM »

MIU, LA and The Beach Boys (1985) each got 2 stars on AllMusic. KTSA got 1.5.
startBBtoday
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2012, 09:46:10 AM »

They gave 2/5 to a great Rufus wainwright album and some really good mando diao albums.  So I have my issues with them ha.  I think TLOS got a 3/5 from them

TLOS got a 2.5 actually which I thought was crazy.
TimmyC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2012, 11:21:58 AM »

in the allmusic listing for TWGMTR, Beaches in Mind is checked off as one of the four best tracks! Suck it all you haters!! That is an AWESOME song!!! (as are the rest on the album)
onkster
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2012, 02:47:56 PM »

Why the hate for Metacritic itself? It's just a compendium. Do you hate Rotten Tomatoes also?
Zach95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2012, 03:01:25 PM »

I don't understand, metacritic says the Independent gave the album a forty, when this link says it received three out of five stars.  Hmm...

I'm pretty happy with the allmusic review.  I don't particularly like that site at all, but they seem to rate nearly everything and people seem to see it.  So a three and a half out of four stars is really quite good. 

Ain't nothin' upside your head!
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2012, 03:09:44 PM »

It's actually on a 5-star scale.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2012, 03:13:50 PM »

Why the hate for Metacritic itself?

Because everyone is an asshole.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Zach95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2012, 03:15:47 PM »

It's actually on a 5-star scale.

Oops. I meant five. Typo.

buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2012, 03:15:58 PM »

Why the hate for Metacritic itself? It's just a compendium. Do you hate Rotten Tomatoes also?

Read the quote in fatheroftheman's post and it might make more sense. I don't think anyone actually hates Metacritic.

buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2012, 03:19:59 PM »

I don't understand, metacritic says the Independent gave the album a forty, when this link says it received three out of five stars.  Hmm...

I'm pretty happy with the allmusic review.  I don't particularly like that site at all, but they seem to rate nearly everything and people seem to see it.  So a three and a half out of four stars is really quite good. 

Confusingly the independent have given the album two separate reviews: one rated two stars and the other rated three. Metacritic are listing the lower score.

Zach95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2012, 06:00:24 PM »

Confusingly the independent have given the album two separate reviews: one rated two stars and the other rated three. Metacritic are listing the lower score.

What the heck! That's not fair! That's bringing the average down!  Angry

AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2012, 06:24:14 PM »

What the heck! That's not fair! That's bringing the average down!  Angry

I imagine one will have been in the Independent and one in The Independent On Sunday, which has a totally different editorial staff but shares the same website.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2012, 06:40:25 PM »

Amazing review in the New York Times:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/05/arts/music/new-releases-from-the-beach-boys-and-alan-jackson.html?ref=arts

And another positive one from PopMatters:

http://www.popmatters.com/pm/review/159260-the-beach-boys-thats-why-god-made-the-radio/
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2012, 07:13:22 PM »

cbs news: very positive
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-501368_162-57446660/review-brian-wilson-writes-new-beach-boys-album/
usa today: also positive
http://www.usatoday.com/life/music/reviews/story/2012-06-04/beach-boys-thats-why-god-made-the-radio/55385752/1
Zach95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2012, 07:18:12 PM »

So, does metacritic simply ignore the reviews without numbers?

Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2012, 07:23:43 PM »

So, does metacritic simply ignore the reviews without numbers?

Nope. It included the NYTimes review, ranking it as a 70 (which seems a bit low). They do not include all media outlets, though.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx