gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 04:23:51 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Number #1  (Read 16430 times)
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2012, 08:53:34 PM »

This is really cool.  I think they'll definately be top 5, and hearing that they're in the Target circular is really cool.  If it made it into that ad,.... that means that Target is treating it as something that they'll stock a lot of, you know what I mean?  They won't just have 3 in each store if they're advertising it in the circular, they must have quite a few of them in each store if they're pushing it like that.  Hell yeah!

CarlTheVoice
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2012, 05:08:07 AM »

Why isn't this being promoted much in the UK? The Wembley gig seems to have sold well so people are interested. I remember when Smile came out there was very little in the shops and you had to look for the CD. I did go into HMV today though and they had it as a new release and were playing a few songs. I suppose that's something. More promotion, more sales. People need to know it's out and how good it is!
Catbirdman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2012, 06:00:10 AM »

And yet.

Go to the iTunes store main page - NOTHING.

Go to the iTunes main page for just Music - NOTHING.

Let's not start getting disgusted yet, Capitol might actually get it right this time..

I doubt it though

to be fair, i don't think there's any point on advertising an unreleased album on iTunes

Actually, you're incorrect: on the front page they advertise prominently all the upcoming releases. The Beatles' Yellow Submarine songbook (which will also be released tomorrow) has been the most easily viewable thing on that whole page for weeks now. But there's no sign of the Beach Boys, even when you navigate to the music only page of the store.

In general, I think many people on this board tend to see through rose-colored glasses. It's understandable given that by coming to this board every day, you're basically surrounded by those who've drunk the Kool-Aid. But when it comes to the Beach Boys' overall stature and presence in the public mind, I find there's a gaping discrepancy between what people here want to believe and what the truth actually is.

My real name is Peter Aaron Beyer. I live in Baltimore, Maryland, USA.
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2012, 06:09:14 AM »

And yet.

Let's not start getting disgusted yet, Capitol might actually get it right this time..

I doubt it though

to be fair, i don't think there's any point on advertising an unreleased album on iTunes

Actually, you're incorrect: on the front page they advertise prominently all the upcoming releases. The Beatles' Yellow Submarine songbook (which will also be released tomorrow) has been the most easily viewable thing on that whole page for weeks now. But there's no sign of the Beach Boys, even when you navigate to the music only page of the store.

In general, I think many people on this board tend to see through rose-colored glasses. It's understandable given that by coming to this board every day, you're basically surrounded by those who've drunk the Kool-Aid. But when it comes to the Beach Boys' overall stature and presence in the public mind, I find there's a gaping discrepancy between what people here want to believe and what the truth actually is.

Well you don't have to lump me into your generalization after one comment.  I don't go on itunes' home page much, and after I looking at it, i suppose you're right.  That doesn't mean I'm clueless on the Beach Boys' public stature (or have Anyang to do with it).  Please tell me what you think I believe about the band's public stature.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2012, 06:19:26 AM by Runaways » Logged
Rob Dean
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 04, 2012, 06:47:42 AM »

Why isn't this being promoted much in the UK? The Wembley gig seems to have sold well so people are interested. I remember when Smile came out there was very little in the shops and you had to look for the CD. I did go into HMV today though and they had it as a new release and were playing a few songs. I suppose that's something. More promotion, more sales. People need to know it's out and how good it is!

Actually I think the Promo work in the UK has been the best since 15 Big Ones IMHO , for example:

1) Radio 2 have been playing the single an awful lot for the last couple of weeks ( even my local Radio is playing it )
2) The new album is this week  'Album Of The Week' on Radio 2
3) Nearly every daily newspaper has given ( in some cases not great ) the album a review
4) The Sunday Times ran a 6 page BB's article yesterday 
5) Why do you think the Wembley gig sold out so quick ? Radio 2 plugged it a few times earlier in the week

So yes , Radio 2 are plugging our Boys  Grin

Maybe EMI should commission a short TV Ad , but hey that's damn expensive - But wouldn't it be nice to see an Ad on UK TV for the new album after the VW 'God Only Knows' Advert ?
Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 04, 2012, 08:18:47 AM »

The Boys are #2 on Amazon, behind Adele.   Shocked

I have been dubbed Mr. Pet Sounds and Mr. Country Love by polite and honored board member Smile Brian. I hope I live up to those esteemed titles.
Mark Dillon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 04, 2012, 11:31:35 AM »

And yet.

I doubt it though

Be patient. iTunes will be promoting this thing in partnership with EMI. It will start on June 5. And I'm thrilled to say that my book is supposed to get some mention in the promotional mix.

Alan: “God forbid any other Beach Boys go up onstage and actually be a Beach Boy.”
Catbirdman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 04, 2012, 11:37:03 AM »

Well you don't have to lump me into your generalization after one comment.  I don't go on itunes' home page much, and after I looking at it, i suppose you're right.  That doesn't mean I'm clueless on the Beach Boys' public stature (or have Anyang to do with it).  Please tell me what you think I believe about the band's public stature.

No, you're right, it isn't my place to articulate what your individual view is, and I certainly didn't mean it to read that way. My apologies for not being clear.

They were two separate thoughts:
I was responding to you specifically in the first paragraph, yes. Then, thinking about the lack of marketing muscle in iTunes, it reminded me how in general, my experience is that Joe Q. Public doesn't know/care all that much about the BBs, at least not as much as people like us (meaning you, me, and other fans that are likely to visit this message board) would like.

Catbirdman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 04, 2012, 11:44:37 AM »

Be patient. iTunes will be promoting this thing in partnership with EMI. It will start on June 5. And I'm thrilled to say that my book is supposed to get some mention in the promotional mix.

Great to hear!! I will have no problems whatsoever saying "I was wrong" when this happens.

I'm enjoying your book by the way Mark. I'm reading a few each day - it was Alice Cooper, John Sebastian, and Hal Blaine this morning. It really is an effective, fruitful concept you've come up with - the 50 different songs, 50 different interviews. And I'm impressed by many of the people you enlisted. Your narrative is toned just right to guide the reader through anecdotes from the interview subject while at the same time telling a story and relaying background information. But most of all, it's just pure fun to read. Thank you!

EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 04, 2012, 11:53:35 AM »

During Mad Men last night, I was taken by surprise - a commercial for the new tour was played! They failed to mention the album, but still - a lot of people watch that show. Hopefully people will find (and buy) the album this way, too.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 04, 2012, 12:47:44 PM »

And yet.

I doubt it though

This is GREAT news!

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Mark Dillon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 04, 2012, 01:35:07 PM »

Great to hear!! I will have no problems whatsoever saying "I was wrong" when this happens.

I'm enjoying your book by the way Mark. I'm reading a few each day - it was Alice Cooper, John Sebastian, and Hal Blaine this morning. It really is an effective, fruitful concept you've come up with - the 50 different songs, 50 different interviews. And I'm impressed by many of the people you enlisted. Your narrative is toned just right to guide the reader through anecdotes from the interview subject while at the same time telling a story and relaying background information. But most of all, it's just pure fun to read. Thank you!
Thanks, Catbirdman. I'm so glad you're enjoying it. I am very lucky in terms of who spoke to me. It's very telling of the love out there for the Beach Boys.

Alan: “God forbid any other Beach Boys go up onstage and actually be a Beach Boy.”
Too Much Sugar
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 04, 2012, 08:12:14 PM »

Album now on the front page of iTunes.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 04, 2012, 08:12:33 PM »

wow, love to see huge advertising on itunes right now, Capitol getting it done right, we can't complain

Shame SMiLE didn't get the same treatment

dumbangel76
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 04, 2012, 08:13:27 PM »

Just downloaded off of Itunes!!
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 04, 2012, 08:16:40 PM »

Just downloaded off of Itunes!!

Well that's one  Grin

Summertime Blooz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 04, 2012, 08:26:39 PM »

That's cool!

Damn overrated Adele! Why did she have to have a TV special last night? Now another couple hundred thousand zombies are going to buy her crap album. She's rockblocking our beloved Beach Boys from the top spot on Amazon.

Please visit 'The American(a) Trip Slideshow' where you can watch the videos and listen to fan mixes of all the Smile songs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doOws3284PQ&list=PLptIp1kEl6BWNpXyJ_mb20W4ZqJ14-Hgg
coco1997
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 04, 2012, 08:45:10 PM »

Now another couple hundred thousand zombies are going to buy her crap album. She's rockblocking our beloved Beach Boys from the top spot on Amazon.
Actually her album isn't "crap", but I agree that the Beach Boys deserve their moment back in the sun.

"I've never been to Mars, but I imagine it's quite lovely."
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 04, 2012, 08:49:11 PM »

Holy crap, it's up to 16 on itunes already, sure to break the top 10 (or 5)

So happy right now  Grin

Summertime Blooz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 04, 2012, 08:56:27 PM »

Now another couple hundred thousand zombies are going to buy her crap album. She's rockblocking our beloved Beach Boys from the top spot on Amazon.
Actually her album isn't "crap", but I agree that the Beach Boys deserve their moment back in the sun.

Sorry. Didn't mean to offend. I find her 2 albums tedious, but obviously there are millions who disagree. Also, I honestly did not expect there to be any Adele fans reading this board.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2012, 08:58:15 PM by krabklaw » Logged

Please visit 'The American(a) Trip Slideshow' where you can watch the videos and listen to fan mixes of all the Smile songs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doOws3284PQ&list=PLptIp1kEl6BWNpXyJ_mb20W4ZqJ14-Hgg
Too Much Sugar
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 04, 2012, 08:57:10 PM »

Holy crap, it's up to 16 on itunes already, sure to break the top 10 (or 5)

So happy right now  Grin

Wow, it wasn't even in the top 200 when I noticed it, 30 minutes ago.  Being #16 on iTunes is more impressive than the Amazon rankings.  This album should definitely hit the top 5.

Also cool to see "Sounds Of Summer" and "20 Greatest Hits" charting on the bottom end of the top 200.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: June 04, 2012, 09:01:43 PM »

Sorry. Didn't mean to offend. I find her 2 albums tedious, but obviously there are millions who disagree. Also, I honestly did not expect there to be any Adele fans reading this board.

Why not? I'm one, as well.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 04, 2012, 09:04:55 PM »

That's cool!

Damn overrated Adele! Why did she have to have a TV special last night? Now another couple hundred thousand zombies are going to buy her crap album. She's rockblocking our beloved Beach Boys from the top spot on Amazon.

Unnecessary.  Adele's fabulous, good for her if she sells another truckoad of albums.  She's awesome, I want the Beach Boys to beat her in sales because they beat the best, not because she fell off. 

Summertime Blooz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 04, 2012, 09:16:38 PM »

That's cool!

Unnecessary.  Adele's fabulous, good for her if she sells another truckoad of albums.  She's awesome, I want the Beach Boys to beat her in sales because they beat the best, not because she fell off. 

I will admit to being an early fan  of Chasing Pavements way before she was part of the mainstream American scene, and she has a few songs on each album that are pretty good, but- meh. She has a good voice, but I don't think she's made a good album yet. Again, I apologize to all the scads of Adele fans apparently following this board that I insulted by calling you zombies. If you're reading this board, I assume you are not mindless flesh-eaters.

Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 04, 2012, 09:19:13 PM »

She's put out some good songs that are made better by the production/singing on em. 

everyone should review it on itunes! drive up that rating.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx