gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681222 Posts in 27630 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 29, 2024, 12:04:02 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Show 25: Verizon Wireless Amphitheater - Irvine, CA 6/3/12(SETLIST/PICS/REVIEWS)  (Read 49453 times)
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: June 04, 2012, 10:44:24 AM »

I can't honestly say I noticed a Mike/Al tension but definitely a few snipey remarks between Mike and Bruce.  Mike was making a few digs about Bruce and Barry Manilow's hit "I Write The Song" saying they won't be able to play it tonight but it'd be okay because we could hear it anytime we're in a dentist office or elevator.  To which, Bruce replied... "Yup...right after Kokomo!"  The crowd "ooh'd" at that one.  They seem to have a prickly sense of humor towards each other...we'll never know how serious it is.  

They do that for all the shows. That's the exact same banter they had at both Mohegan Sun shows I went to. It's definitely good natured and most important of all, planned.

I once read a review from a few years back and Mike and Bruce did exactly the same joke. So it's really not meant in a bad way

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: June 04, 2012, 10:48:05 AM »

Fig. 243. Brian Wilson Plays the Phantom Theremin
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 04, 2012, 10:53:05 AM »

Sorry everybody: I have not one single frame of video of California Saga performing their set.  It was made very clear from security that no cameras were allowed---only phones...WTF?  Roll Eyes  Being right up front, I was an easy target and didn't want to make enemies so early in the show so the camera stayed off until much later when it was becoming clear they weren't giving anyone any crap for real cameras being used.

No worries, Justin.  Your many descriptions are almost as good as being there!  Many thanks.  I am sure we'll be hearing more from California Saga.  These kids are awesome!  Anna Lee The Healer!  Un FREAKING-believable!!

Oh man...did it sound great live.  And I totally love their approach: Carnie's husband Rob Bonfiglio on guitar and Billy Hinsche on keyboard..done....simple setup.  Just focusing on the vocals...which come out loud and clear.  No hiding behind anything...just voices.  I hope to hear more from this group also...everyone here deserves to hear them in person!
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: June 04, 2012, 10:54:35 AM »

Who sang Little Bird ? Carl B. ?

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 04, 2012, 10:59:26 AM »

Yes indeed.  He mentioned how proud he was to sing it considering it was a special and favorite song of his father's.  And he did a fantastic job.

Oh and just remembered that Marilyn, Brian's first wife, was in attendance as well--no doubt to celebrate the formation of the new group.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2012, 11:00:33 AM by Justin » Logged
anazgnos
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 04, 2012, 11:14:57 AM »

Don't know if anybody has any shots of the California Saga logo that was up on screen, but it looked a lot like this:

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: June 04, 2012, 11:28:04 AM »

BTW Al playing Banjo on California saga. Cool, when was the last time he did that ? 70s ?

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: June 04, 2012, 11:35:22 AM »

Review with setlist, etc.

http://www.vcstar.com/news/2012/jun/04/beach-boys-flash-back-and-forward-hollywood-and-ir/

The picture is from the Hollywood Bowl

- Jack Rieley
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 04, 2012, 11:56:19 AM »

Did anyone else see the big black tour bus come steaming by with Brian sitting in the front passenger seat?

This must have been no more than a minute and a half since we got up and split for the parking lots as The Beach Boys with Brian were taking their bow after Fun Fun Fun!

Brian must have hauled ass into that bus FAST! Smiley

We were down at the little "town" area with all the vendors and a cop car with it's lights on suddenly blocks our path so the tour bus could pass. There's Brian with a half smile just staring at us as he goes by!!!

Fantastic show all around!
« Last Edit: June 04, 2012, 11:57:16 AM by Erik H » Logged
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 04, 2012, 11:58:05 AM »

Post show sing-along

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lNjAqTkcDY

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: June 04, 2012, 12:01:58 PM »

Did anyone else see the big black tour bus come steaming by with Brian sitting in the front passenger seat?

This must have been no more than a minute and a half since we got up and split for the parking lots as The Beach Boys with Brian were taking their bow after Fun Fun Fun!

Brian must have hauled ass into that bus FAST! Smiley

We were down at the little "town" area with all the vendors and a cop car with it's lights on suddenly blocks our path so the tour bus could pass. There's Brian with a half smile just staring at us as he goes by!!!

Fantastic show all around!

ha didn't see that!

With a few days to rest before the next gig later this week, I'm sure he jumped at the chance to actually go home (to his "Shelter!") as quickly as possible.  Cool
Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 04, 2012, 12:02:47 PM »

This is really special.

I have been dubbed Mr. Pet Sounds and Mr. Country Love by polite and honored board member Smile Brian. I hope I live up to those esteemed titles.
Eireannach
Smiley Smile Associate

bedårar

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 04, 2012, 12:03:35 PM »

I love the harmonizing during the solo!
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 04, 2012, 12:18:54 PM »

OMG LITTLE BIRD IS MY FAVORITE SONG ON FRIENDS.

I NEED VIDEO.

Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 04, 2012, 12:21:43 PM »

OMG LITTLE BIRD IS MY FAVORITE SONG ON FRIENDS.

I NEED VIDEO.

Some:

My folks are lucky enough to be at this show, having flown from Kansas to California just for the show (after hearing my constant ravings of the NYC show I attended, they couldn't resist). My mom sent me a couple short clips of California Saga performing, so I thought I'd upload 'em and share them as they come. Quality is shoddy cell phone quality, so nothing to write home about, but whoever is singing lead on Little Bird (Carl B.?) is certainly doing a beautiful rendition.

Friends:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8BcqH9WAFCY&feature=plcp

Little Bird:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rdK8bas5-0&feature=plcp
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: June 04, 2012, 01:10:16 PM »

My videos from the Bowl are pretty worthless shakycam, but I managed some decent 1080 vids from the Irvine show --

"Isn't It Time"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WzMSMGdwknU

If it's not in 1080 yet, just wait a bit.

Uploading "California Saga" now.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: June 04, 2012, 01:26:25 PM »

oh man, Anna Lee the Healer.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: June 04, 2012, 01:34:05 PM »

Car-medley. Brian's enjoying it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-CiygbU0j8&feature=related

- Jack Rieley
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 04, 2012, 01:54:41 PM »

haha, "we need the money"

I love self deprecating humor

JohnMill
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 04, 2012, 01:56:12 PM »

I believe this is how cults are formed.

God Bless California
For It Marks My Faith To See
You're The Only State With The Sacred Honor
....to sink into the sea
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: June 04, 2012, 01:56:36 PM »

Keep it clean with Al freakin' Jardine, people! Here's a wonderful blast of "California Saga" -- feast on the WHITE SUIT! Banjo-twanging fun for the whole family:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pewlx_ACPZQ

It's still rendering, check back for the HD -- well worth clicking on 1080.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 04, 2012, 02:00:42 PM »

Keep it clean with Al freakin' Jardine, people! Here's a wonderful blast of "California Saga" -- feast on the WHITE SUIT! Banjo-twanging fun for the whole family:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pewlx_ACPZQ

It's still rendering, check back for the HD -- well worth clicking on 1080.

Bruce blowing a kiss at the end, hilarious

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: June 04, 2012, 02:09:40 PM »

I just had to make a screenshot of "Shut down". Brian  Cheesy

- Jack Rieley
Craig Feldspar
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 04, 2012, 03:45:16 PM »

anyone got a video of CS doing "til i die"? what was the 'novel' ending they added?
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 04, 2012, 05:26:00 PM »

Just curious was this show sold out?

gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx