gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 08:33:42 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The "Time to Get Alone" Massacre :/  (Read 5981 times)
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: June 03, 2012, 04:16:04 AM »

"It all came to a head...when Mike Love, Carl Wilson and Al Jardine came to the studio and heard our version of 'Time To Get Alone'...They manoeuvred Brian into the control booth and reduced him to tears. It was a cruel and pathetic scene. Danny, Cory and I were in the studio and could see it all happening through the control-booth window. It was as if Brian had turned into a little boy. The conversation appeared quiet and calm, but we could tell it was emotional and intense. The others were doing most of the talking, like overbearing, controlling parents. Brian would move away, and they would block his escape. We couldn't hear what was being said, but I think a good lip-reader would have picked up something like, 'We don't give a sh*t about these guys, and we want those songs for us.' We could actually feel Brian crumbling, and when he came out of the booth, a tear dropped down his cheek. His head was lowered and his shoulders sagged. It was the body language of a child who had just been scolded and punished. And this brilliant musical icon - whose songs defined one generation and influenced another - weepingly told us, 'We can't do this. I have to give the songs to them. They're family and I have to take care of my family. They want the songs. I'll give you any amount of money you want to finish an album, but I can't produce it. They won't let me.'" - Chuck Negron

Do anyone want to elaborate on this story? I know Brian was very sick around this time but it seems a little far-fetched :/ and anyone have any more info on this?
(& If someone already posted something similar to this post the link or ignore this thread.)
« Last Edit: June 03, 2012, 04:52:38 AM by Newguy562 » Logged
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2012, 04:40:58 AM »

THE

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2012, 04:49:11 AM »

Well, I wasn't there.

But the BB version of TTGA is unbeatable.

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2012, 07:00:53 AM »

I believe Danny Hutton said it's bullshit, or it at least didn't happen in front of him or anyone else in the band or who was around at the time. It's known that the guys DID tell Brian they wanted "Darlin'" and "Time To Get Alone" for the Beach Boys, but the confrontation wasn't thought to be like this.

The Redwood "Time To Get Alone" is totally fuckin' goofy, to my ears. Not a bad band at all, but that vocal performance - man. Not good. Especially when stacked up to Carl's attempts.

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2012, 07:09:04 AM »

I believe Danny Hutton said it's bullshit, or it at least didn't happen in front of him or anyone else in the band or who was around at the time. It's known that the guys DID tell Brian they wanted "Darlin'" and "Time To Get Alone" for the Beach Boys, but the confrontation wasn't thought to be like this.

The Redwood "Time To Get Alone" is totally f*ckin' goofy, to my ears. Not a bad band at all, but that vocal performance - man. Not good. Especially when stacked up to Carl's attempts.
I pretty much knew that their version would be sh*t compared to the bb's....Whenever I hear cover songs of the bb's it makes me cringe like elton's & david bowie's rendition of god only knows..
I never even heard of redwood til now..it's so childish that he'd make up a story like that about brian :/
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2012, 07:13:06 AM »

Eh. Maybe Danny Hutton's full of shit. Maybe I'm full of shit. Hard to say.

Also, the circumstances under which "Time To Get Alone" happened doesn't really make it a cover. Brian produced and directed these guys, this is his work and his arrangement with Redwood's vocals over it.

Anyone know if it was even finished? I haven't listened to it in a while, but I feel like all the harmonies of the Beach Boys version aren't there.

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2012, 07:48:14 AM »

I like the Redwood version, but maybe more because it retains the beautiful french horn break. That original backing track is one of the single most beautiful productions he ever did imo. Just blows my mind every time I hear it.

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
LetHimRun
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2012, 07:56:30 AM »

The Redwood "Time To Get Alone" is totally f*ckin' goofy, to my ears. Not a bad band at all, but that vocal performance - man. Not good. Especially when stacked up to Carl's attempts.
I pretty much knew that their version would be sh*t compared to the bb's....Whenever I hear cover songs of the bb's it makes me cringe like elton's & david bowie's rendition of god only knows..
I never even heard of redwood til now..it's so childish that he'd make up a story like that about brian :/

I don't think you understand who Redwood was. Redwood was the original name for the group that became Three Dog Night. They did some things with Brian producing them in 1967, but their big break came in 1969 with the US #29 hit "Try a Little Tenderness" and then from then on, their next 19 singles all went top 19 or better on the Billboard top 100. 11 top 10, 9 top 5, and 3 number 1's. Songs included Easy to be Hard, Joy to the World, Mama Told Me Not to Come, One (a cover of Harry Nilsson), Liar, Shambala, Never Been to Spain, etc, etc.

As for the story, things get stretched and people try to make themselves look better or others worse, you can't really put a lot of stock into it.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2012, 07:58:30 AM by LetHimRun » Logged
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2012, 08:00:52 AM »

I don't think you understand who Redwood was. Redwood was the original name for the group that became Three Dog Night. They did some things with Brian producing them in 1967, but their big break came in 1969 with the US #29 hit "Try a Little Tenderness" and then from then on, their next 19 singles all went top 19 or better on the Billboard top 100. 11 top 10, 9 top 5, and 3 number 1's. Songs included Easy to be Hard, Joy to the World, Mama Told Me Not to Come, One (a cover of Harry Nilsson), Liar, Shambala, Never Been to Spain, etc, etc.

As for the story, things get stretched and people try to make themselves look better or others worse, you can't really put a lot of stock into it.
wow i had no idea that they were the same group ..they had some pretty solid hits that i heard in a few movies and on the radio before Smiley
omg brian should've signed them..could've made so much more money $$...damn that mike! lol jk
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2012, 09:01:33 AM »

"It all came to a head...when Mike Love, Carl Wilson and Al Jardine came to the studio and heard our version of 'Time To Get Alone'...They manoeuvred Brian into the control booth and reduced him to tears. It was a cruel and pathetic scene. Danny, Cory and I were in the studio and could see it all happening through the control-booth window. It was as if Brian had turned into a little boy. The conversation appeared quiet and calm, but we could tell it was emotional and intense. The others were doing most of the talking, like overbearing, controlling parents. Brian would move away, and they would block his escape. We couldn't hear what was being said, but I think a good lip-reader would have picked up something like, 'We don't give a sh*t about these guys, and we want those songs for us.' We could actually feel Brian crumbling, and when he came out of the booth, a tear dropped down his cheek. His head was lowered and his shoulders sagged. It was the body language of a child who had just been scolded and punished. And this brilliant musical icon - whose songs defined one generation and influenced another - weepingly told us, 'We can't do this. I have to give the songs to them. They're family and I have to take care of my family. They want the songs. I'll give you any amount of money you want to finish an album, but I can't produce it. They won't let me.'" - Chuck Negron

Do anyone want to elaborate on this story? I know Brian was very sick around this time but it seems a little far-fetched :/ and anyone have any more info on this?
(& If someone already posted something similar to this post the link or ignore this thread.)

Yeah...

1 - the sole source for this is Chuck Negron's book.

2 - in the 40+ years since it allegedly happened, Danny's never said word one about it, and he's never backwards in coming forwards...

3 - someone who knows their 3DN better than I says the dates don't fit.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2012, 01:27:10 PM »

What's really weird is that after wrestling the song away from Redwood the guys waited two years before putting it out on 20/20. Hands down it's better than pretty much everything on Wild Honey and Friends. It could have been a hit!! I think I even prefer the earlier attempt they did from the Hawthorne comp.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2012, 01:42:09 PM »

What's really weird is that after wrestling the song away from Redwood the guys waited two years before putting it out on 20/20. Hands down it's better than pretty much everything on Wild Honey and Friends. It could have been a hit!! I think I even prefer the earlier attempt they did from the Hawthorne comp.
wow really? that's not true..there's a few songs from friends/wild honey that's better than that..."wild honey,let the wind blow,passing by,busy doin nothing"
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2012, 02:09:16 PM »

Better than all of those, dude. (of course, opinion.)

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2012, 02:52:53 PM »

I don't buy it.

Maybe there's a seed a truth in there, but some of these guys have a way with embellishing their memories and mixing stories together.  And yeh, I think this guy had a drug or drinking problem, and likely a ghost-writer for this book.

He probably saw some kind of heated discussion or argument at a Beach Boys session and also remembers the supposed 'Time to Get Alone' tug-of-war and put the two together or something.

Another thing I've noticed is that some old-timers actually read the stories in the media/books and then 'remember' them.

Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2012, 03:57:51 PM »

i think it was embellished a bit too, but i think i could go along with the guys wanting it to be a beach boys song
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2012, 04:24:31 PM »

What was recorded by/for the Beach Boys on Oct 11 & 12 1967?

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2012, 04:27:13 PM »

I'm not with you. Are you talking about the Wild Honey era recording of TTGA? But it should have been logged as Redwood, not the BB, right?

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
GeorgeFellInHisHorn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2012, 04:38:09 PM »

I'm not with you. Are you talking about the Wild Honey era recording of TTGA? But it should have been logged as Redwood, not the BB, right?

I think he's referring to the logged Oct 11&12 Wild Honey sessions for "untitled song"(according to the Bellagio site), which occurred right before the Redwood sessions for TTGA on the 14&15(also according to Bellagio)

anazgnos
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2012, 04:42:44 PM »

Maybe there's a seed a truth in there

Right, its not wildly beyond stuff everybody probably already assumes is true.  Brian did seem to want to pull away from the band around that time, and if he was coming up with full-bred Wilson Magic for outside artists at a time when the group was struggling, then something like this may well have happened.  The narrative that Negron forwards about Brian being totally cowed or psychologically destroyed by Carl is the dubious part, and in the end its not really the important part.

Now was it Hutton or Negron who had the story about his penis exploding during sex from overuse?
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2012, 08:20:21 PM »

I think he's referring to the logged Oct 11&12 Wild Honey sessions for "untitled song"(according to the Bellagio site), which occurred right before the Redwood sessions for TTGA on the 14&15(also according to Bellagio)

I thought it had been established that the BBs had recorded a track for one of the established or alleged  Redwood recordings, Darlin or TTGA, before any documented Redwood recording date? Maybe not.

UPDATE: It is not. I was completely wrong. Disregard.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2012, 08:29:22 PM by Cam Mott » Logged

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2012, 09:43:12 PM »

Maybe there's a seed a truth in there

Right, its not wildly beyond stuff everybody probably already assumes is true.  Brian did seem to want to pull away from the band around that time, and if he was coming up with full-bred Wilson Magic for outside artists at a time when the group was struggling, then something like this may well have happened.  The narrative that Negron forwards about Brian being totally cowed or psychologically destroyed by Carl is the dubious part, and in the end its not really the important part.

Now was it Hutton or Negron who had the story about his penis exploding during sex from overuse?

Negron.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2012, 10:13:26 PM »

These guys were always shuffling around with and sitting on songs for some time occasionally. Worst sentence ever, but you get what I mean. Keep in mind, too, that "Time To Get Alone" went through some changes in that time. It could have been a matter of dissatisfaction with the bridge until it arrived to the point that it did.

There's also the fact that it was two songs, too - "Time To Get Alone" and "Darlin'", the latter of which was put on an album right away. "Time To Get Alone" wouldn't have fit on Wild Honey at all (imo), and maybe Brian was thinking two waltz-y tracks on Friends was enough. fuckifiknow.

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2012, 11:12:38 PM »

If you read this account of the Three Dog Night history, Van Dyke Parks all but takes credit for not only the name of the band but also claims to be their producer in those early days...he was close with Danny Hutton and this account was a tribute for Danny...and that could very well have been part of the story but it is told more often that Brian Wilson was the band's early "producer" and all but got them together to make records as a trio (so I thought).

Hmmm. Conflicting stories? Brian's work with Redwood or the name Redwood isn't even mentioned.

VDP's piece is here: http://www.fufkin.com/columns/fufkin/whatever_hutton.htm

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2012, 12:03:37 AM »

As ridiculous as it sounds, I've read this can actually happen Cry It doesn't literally "explode", the blood vessels can burst. That's what the always questionable interwebz said, anyway.

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Jukka
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2012, 02:08:43 AM »

I've read some Grand Funk Railroad member's member exploded, too. But I don't get it, how is it possible?

"Surfing and cars were okay but there was a war going on."
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx