gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681012 Posts in 27626 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 15, 2024, 12:31:04 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Down Print
Author Topic: RS's 500 Greatest Albums of All Time - Beach Boys take up three spots.  (Read 13075 times)
ArchStanton
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: June 02, 2012, 03:48:22 PM »

I thought the oddest thing was the inclusion of greatest hits sets by a few artists- Madonna, Credence, Bob Marley, etc.  I could maybe see if they were not including any other albums from those artists and they used the greatest hits records to represent them, but that was not the case.

And yeah, no Tupac Shakur but three Kanye albums?  Four or so from Jay-Z?
JohnMill
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 02, 2012, 03:49:20 PM »

I thought the oddest thing was the inclusion of greatest hits sets by a few artists- Madonna, Credence, Bob Marley, etc.  I could maybe see if they were not including any other albums from those artists and they used the greatest hits records to represent them, but that was not the case.

And yeah, no Tupac Shakur but three Kanye albums?  Four or so from Jay-Z?

The fact that there are greatest hits albums included to me at least brings the validity of the entire list into question. 

God Bless California
For It Marks My Faith To See
You're The Only State With The Sacred Honor
....to sink into the sea
Al Jardine: Pick Up Artist
Smiley Smile Associate

I am an asexual walrus

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: June 02, 2012, 04:09:15 PM »

To the people who are saying that TSS isn't really an album:

Bullshit. The LP release / CD Disc 1 is the definitive "official" mix and release of what we have of Smile.

If you really want to get technical about it, Let It Be isn't a finished album either.

Which song: Inappropriate relationship with sister-in-law

Which song: Gonna straight up bang you with "the wood".

Which song: Weather conditions make me horny

Which song: Lack of proper shoes leads to potential blood poisoning and death.

Which song: Who needs church? Let's do it on the couch.

Dennis: "Holy sh*t, Al, you're finally showing signs of developing facial hair!!!"
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: June 02, 2012, 04:12:12 PM »

A new poll at gamefaqs...

Poll of the Day
Who is your favorite Beatle?

Vote Accepted
Paul McCartney    16.51%    

John Lennon    22.48%    

George Harrison    9.61%    

Ringo Starr    10.9%    

I don't like any of the Beatles    40.49%    

TOTAL VOTES          30969

LOL

For the record, I voted for George Harrison.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
rogerlancelot
« Reply #79 on: June 02, 2012, 04:38:38 PM »

Without the Beatles we would have never had the Monkees (no HEAD). Without the Beatles we wouldn't have had the record label saying that the Bay City Rollers were going to be bigger than the Beatles (I still laugh to myself about that one). Without the Beatles we wouldn't have had the Rutles (my first exposure to Rikky Fataar). And the Beatles Rock Band is easily my favorite video game to play. Having said all of that most of the music I listen to currently is Beach Boys and classical.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 02, 2012, 04:46:32 PM »

Poll of the Day

Vote Accepted
Paul McCartney    16.51%    

John Lennon    22.48%    

George Harrison    9.61%    

Ringo Starr    10.9%    

LOL

Uh, wow. The thing is, I'm sure a lot of those 40.49% votes don't even know who the Beatles are or haven't bothered to listen to their music.

Also, Live In London beats the pants off of In Concert.

Also, no Tupac albums and three Kanye albums? Four Jay-Z albums? Holy fucking Christ, that's awful.

Also, greatest hits compilations making the list? Between this and the last thing, well, there went any credibility (as if Rolling Stones lists ever have much to begin with).

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
rogerlancelot
« Reply #81 on: June 02, 2012, 04:49:28 PM »

So now not liking any of the Beatles is more popular than John Lennon which means not liking any of the Beatles is more popular than Jesus.

Huh
JohnMill
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 02, 2012, 04:50:46 PM »

Poll of the Day

Vote Accepted
Paul McCartney    16.51%    

John Lennon    22.48%    

George Harrison    9.61%    

Ringo Starr    10.9%    

LOL

The "Hanson generation" strikes again.  Seriously while I can't say never I've found it very hard to carry on a conversation about music with someone who was born in the nineties.  The reason being unless they had parents who were music fans and exposed them to the music of the sixties and seventies, these kids have no clue about any music prior to the year 2000.  They just have never been exposed to it the way that previous generations were and I guess I find that a bit sad.  That being said you can't know what you're missing if you've never experienced it so it is what it is I guess.  The point being is that I tend to write off the opinions of this generation (not even sure what the name of their generation would be honestly) as being irrelevant as they have no legitimate foundation on which to base their viewpoints on.  Polls like these are a prime example of what I speak of.

God Bless California
....to sink into the sea
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: June 02, 2012, 05:07:53 PM »

To the people who are saying that TSS isn't really an album:

Bullsh*t. The LP release / CD Disc 1 is the definitive "official" mix and release of what we have of Smile.

The key words in your message are "of what we have".  Had the Beach Boys actually finished the album like they were supposed to (in the 60's), I imagine SMiLE would probably have fared high on this list.  But the album was never completed.  I'm a bit surprised to see it appear on this list at all; Sunflower was more deserving.  At least the band managed to finish that one!

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #84 on: June 02, 2012, 05:11:08 PM »

The Who have 6 of their 10 studio albums on the list and one live album.

WHY IS NOT 'IN CONCERT' ON THAT LIST?
It is an impeccable live album by any standards, lots of very well known songs and many deep cuts. Why it is not more recognised as one of the best live albums out there i don't know.  

The performances on that live album are quite remarkable and the arrangments are unique and often very different from the studio versions thus adding to its special feel. If there really were to be 4 BB albums on Rolling Stone's list I would vouch for In Concert's inclusion as a great live album.

I dig In Concert quite a bit, but it's by no means a classic.  There are far more deserving live albums than this. 

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: June 02, 2012, 05:14:01 PM »

TSS, to me, is somewhere between an album and a compilation, but is a bit closer to a compilation focused on a very specific period than an album. Its inclusion, like many Beatles albums, seems almost obligatory. The Smile material is probably my favorite stuff by the band, don't get me wrong, but it was just released last year but zomg mythical unreleased album with Beatles connections Brian quit the music industry for 40 years after hearing "Strawberry Fields Forever" it has to make the list.

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Landlocked
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: June 02, 2012, 05:22:37 PM »

Ah, more worship at the cult of Sgt. Pepper, I see. God, I'm so sick of that g*ddamned album. I'm a very big Beatles fan, but I don't like that album. I never listen to it. It's got a few good songs, but as an album, I can't listen to it from the first track to the last. To me, it's incredibly overrated.

As far as the Beach Boys on the list three times, and TSS being that low, I, obviously, find that an egregious insult. I don't care about whether TSS represents Brian's true vision from the 60s of how it should be, and therefore whether its' completed or not (whatever that even means). All I care about is: Is the music on it great? It is? Wonderful.

And it is great; seriously great. I listen to it more than "Pet Sounds," and I think it was more more daring and ultimately more interesting. Guess I agree with Dennis' controversial (in Mike Love's eyes, at least) statement about "'Smile' being so good it makes 'Pet Sounds' stink."

I'm not a Kool Aid drinker who thinks everything the Beach Boys ever did was classic. I understand their entire discography can't be on the list. But no "Sunflower"? No "Wild Honey"? I adore "Love You," but I understand why it's not on the list. But the other two I can't. Oh well, I can't vote on the list, so...
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: June 02, 2012, 05:58:20 PM »

I'm not a Kool Aid drinker who thinks everything the Beach Boys ever did was classic. I understand their entire discography can't be on the list. But no "Sunflower"? No "Wild Honey"? I adore "Love You," but I understand why it's not on the list. But the other two I can't. Oh well, I can't vote on the list, so...

Don't be a fucking idiot, Landlocked. Those albums would take up space that is better deserved by Kanye West and greatest hits albums. "Forever", "All I Wanna Do", "This Whole World", "Darlin'" are a flaming pile of shit when set alongside "Gold Digger" or "Stronger".

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
JohnMill
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: June 02, 2012, 06:12:23 PM »

Ah, more worship at the cult of Sgt. Pepper, I see. God, I'm so sick of that goshdarned album. I'm a very big Beatles fan, but I don't like that album. I never listen to it. It's got a few good songs, but as an album, I can't listen to it from the first track to the last. To me, it's incredibly overrated.

To me it seems that the obligatory nod towards "Sgt. Pepper" as being the greatest album of all time has caused it to fall out of favor with some music fans and that to me is upsetting.  The reason being is because the album is no longer judged on it's merits and instead is asked to be held up on a pedestal as the unquestioned greatest record of all time which it isn't.  However, it is a great album full of wonderful songs that completely captures the spirit of the era it was created in.  I mean it has "A Day In The Life", "Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds", "With A Little Help From My Friends not to mention some great hidden classics as well such as "Lovely Rita", "Getting Better" and "She's Leaving Home".  It's a great record, but unfortunately one that has been asked to stand up against every other record as the greatest of them all when in reality it's probably not even The Beatles' greatest album.

That all being said, I find it really hard to fathom how anyone can get their shorts in a twist over "Sgt. Pepper" being voted the greatest album of all time in any poll.  Objectively it does obviously qualify for that honor.  It's not as if them voted an album that was entirely unworthy of mention as their number one pick.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2012, 06:14:03 PM by JohnMill » Logged

God Bless California
....to sink into the sea
Landlocked
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: June 02, 2012, 06:26:59 PM »

Ah, more worship at the cult of Sgt. Pepper, I see. God, I'm so sick of that goshdarned album. I'm a very big Beatles fan, but I don't like that album. I never listen to it. It's got a few good songs, but as an album, I can't listen to it from the first track to the last. To me, it's incredibly overrated.

To me it seems that the obligatory nod towards "Sgt. Pepper" as being the greatest album of all time has caused it to fall out of favor with some music fans and that to me is upsetting.  The reason being is because the album is no longer judged on it's merits and instead is asked to be held up on a pedestal as the unquestioned greatest record of all time which it isn't.  However, it is a great album full of wonderful songs that completely captures the spirit of the era it was created in.  I mean it has "A Day In The Life", "Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds", "With A Little Help From My Friends not to mention some great hidden classics as well such as "Lovely Rita", "Getting Better" and "She's Leaving Home".  It's a great record, but unfortunately one that has been asked to stand up against every other record as the greatest of them all when in reality it's probably not even The Beatles' greatest album.

That all being said, I find it really hard to fathom how anyone can get their shorts in a twist over "Sgt. Pepper" being voted the greatest album of all time in any poll.  Objectively it does obviously qualify for that honor.  It's not as if them voted an album that was entirely unworthy of mention as their number one pick.

I see what you're saying about the constant deification of it actually backfiring and making some people resent it. For me, that's not the reason--I don't think it is, at least. It's not my reasoning in a conscious manner.

I understand why it was important. I don't think that can be denied, its influence. But I don't think the music is as timeless--that is, just as fresh now as it was then, great in an of itself and not because of any movement(s) that it spawned--as something like "Pet Sounds" or even "Sunflower." I mean, "All I Wanna Do" is a great example of the timelessness of some Beach Boys songs. Honestly, if I wasn't a fan of the Beach Boys, and you played that song for me, first of all I'd love it, and second of all, I wouldn't know if it was recording in 1970, 1990, or 2010. Timeless, beautiful music that is just as great now as it was then. Maybe "Sunflower" or "Wild Honey" weren't as influential, but were they as "great" as "Sgt. Pepper's"? I think far greater.

I also agree with what you said about "Pepper's" not being the Beatles' greatest. I know I'm in the minority, but I'd even put "Abbey Road" in front of it. Hell, I'd put the universally maligned "Let It Be" before it. The Beatles made some great music, and a lot of it should be on the list, I just think they picked weaker, less timeless music of theirs to put as number 1.
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: June 03, 2012, 01:34:02 AM »

That all being said, I find it really hard to fathom how anyone can get their shorts in a twist over "Sgt. Pepper" being voted the greatest album of all time in any poll.  Objectively it does obviously qualify for that honor.  It's not as if them voted an album that was entirely unworthy of mention as their number one pick.

I think that Sgt Pepper is a fine and creative album with some of pops best songs. Sadly the McCartney material on it does not match up to Lennon's contribution, the material bears no relation to the album cover art (except title track) and it pales next to Rubber Soul/Revolver and the good songs from White album, it is way better than Abbey Road (too much gloss and sugar from McCartney again with his grand suites).
Even George Martin agrees with that assertion, he wished Strawberry Fields and Penny Lane had been on the cut. Then I would perhaps agree to it being among the greatest albums.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2012, 01:36:04 AM by Cabinessenceking » Logged
Jcc
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: June 04, 2012, 09:57:48 AM »

I think Sergeant Pepper's is a great album.   I'm not sure if it should be alone in #1 or that it can beat Pet Sounds, except by the fact that it was more influential upon its release, but then we're making "hype" itself one of the criteria for judgment, rather than the quality of the album itself.

In my opinion,  I think just about every note the Beatles wrote from "I Saw Her Standing There" to "A Day in the Life" is absolutely amazing.  My problem is with the fans who focus solely on Magical Mystery Tour onward as being the source of the Beatles' greatness.  I've always thought that much of what the Beatles did during that period was self-indulgent garbage!

gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx