gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 08:47:26 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: TWGMTR song notes  (Read 2338 times)
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: June 02, 2012, 09:40:23 PM »

Just thought I'd compile what we know about the tunes on the album. A lot of this comes from the various Joe Thomas interviews, although some of it has been corroborated by Mike and various band members, along with Brian interviews from the last year or so.

Think About the Days

Written in 2011, the day before the Do It Again session. Joe Thomas had the chords, and Brian wrote the melody and harmony parts. He and Jeff demoed it, and he surprised the guys with it the very next day. They recorded the song after Do It Again, and it became the starting point for the album sessions.

That's Why God Made the Radio

From 1998. Joe ascribes the the title and chords to Brian. Other, earlier accounts from Jim Peterik have not mentioned BW. Whatever the case, Joe says this was a song Brian specifically set aside for the group. One of the first tunes on the album to have incorrect credits -- there is no mention of the prominent bari sax part.

Isn't It Time

Seems to have been written in February or March of this year, and was the last tune added to the album. Peterik and Millas came up with the rhythm, according to the VCStar piece, which I assume means they created the basic riff. Mike then came up with the bass part and verse, and Brian wrote the chorus. Peterik and Millas (who were in the Ides of March together) are the only credited musicians on the tune (well, Marks is too, but I'm dubious that he appears on the album). There does seem to be an uncredited piano part, though.

Spring Vacation

A 1998 song, originally titled "Lay Down Your Burden," and intended for Carl Wilson. The finished version has the second set of lyrics on the album by Mike, with the chorus crafted in only five minutes!  Grin Organ by Scott Bennett and guitar by Jeff "Skunk" Baxter. (Baxter, by the way, played on Carl Wilson's Youngblood and chairs a congressional advisory board on missile defense.) The strangely mixed bridge (there seem to have been more words that are faded out) surely deserves some discussion.

The Private Life of Bill and Sue

Brian mentions writing this in a 2009 interview. Thomas says Brian wrote the verse and he (JT) wrote the chorus. The radio announcer and scenario of the song were all Brian's idea. The chorus features Jeff and Brian trading lines -- Jeff sings the geographical bits, and Brian answers him.

Shelter

Originating with an offhand statement by Brian as Joe drove him around LA (which likely dates this to 2011). Brian worked on it for a week or so and got very excited about the concept. It was one of the first songs he talked about in interviews last year. Jeff sings the entire chorus, and make sure to listen in later choruses for Brian's awesome syncopated backgrounds.

Daybreak

A 1978 Mike Love solo composition, as remade in 2005. Most of that recording seems to remain, with BB voices added for the introduction. Mike is sped up, rather bizarrely, for about 20 seconds starting at 2:40.

Beaches in Mind

Not much has been said about the origins of this tune. You get more Skunk Baxter on guitar and Bennett on organ. The fourth and final song to feature Mike Love's words.

Strange World

The final third of the album (the mini suite) begins. According to Joe, this tune came from Brian's friendship with housekeeper / confidant Gloria Ramos. She's Columbian, and there's a bit of Spanish in the bridge. It was started in 1998. Nelson Bragg is featured on percussion.

From There to Back Again

No one has mentioned the Hobbit connection, but it's surely there, right? Joe claims Brian wrote this song last year, although there weren't words for a long time. It was always meant for Al to sing. The arrangement is -- like the Gershwin and Disney albums -- very much a collaboration between Brian and Mertens (flutes and string arranging). My guess, frankly, is that a section or two dates earlier than last year. That's just how Brian works.

Pacific Coast Highway

Another 1998 tune. Part of the 11-part My Life Suite that remains unfinished. (Six songs in the first half -- all incomplete -- and five in the second -- one incomplete.) More Mertens strings. The song was originally titled "My Life," according to Joe.

Summer's Gone

The verse and concept come from 1998. Brian's idea was that the last Beach Boys album should end with this song. During sessions for the record, Jon Bon Jovi was visiting and expanded the verse into a full song. Given that the verse repeats throughout, that means Bon Jovi is essentially the lyricist for the tune. Production note: Mike seems to have also recorded a lead vocal to the song, and he echoes Brian at several points. A very neat effect.

Anyway, a fascinating group of songs. It's interesting that, as much as people feared the album would all be retreads, nearly half of it (five songs) is all new, and even more tunes (at least three, and possibly four) were set aside specifically for the band.

Just thought it might be interesting to talk about the tracks specifically a bit, and see if anyone else had heard cool things.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2012, 09:50:00 PM by Wirestone » Logged
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2012, 09:46:46 PM »

Is it me, or could "Shelter" be partially about Marilyn given the info we have plus some of the lyrics?

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2012, 09:51:15 PM »

Is it me, or could "Shelter" be partially about Marilyn given the info we have plus some of the lyrics?

Interesting idea. Maybe there was a reason he made Mike sing that part of the chorus.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2012, 10:03:16 PM »

Also, nice thread ^_^ Nice to have all the info in one place.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2012, 10:04:26 PM by runnersdialzero » Logged

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
startBBtoday
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2012, 11:00:20 PM »

Peterik and Millas (who were in the Ides of March together) are the only credited musicians on the tune (well, Marks is too, but I'm dubious that he appears on the album).

Dubious that he appears at all? Really? Why?

I think it's definitely a Marks solo in Beaches In Mind.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2012, 11:15:21 PM »

Peterik and Millas (who were in the Ides of March together) are the only credited musicians on the tune (well, Marks is too, but I'm dubious that he appears on the album).

Dubious that he appears at all? Really? Why?

I think it's definitely a Marks solo in Beaches In Mind.

Very much doubt it. They wouldn't be paying Jeff "Skunk" Baxter unless he was doing the solos in both.

My feeling is that David showed up and played on a few tracks, but is mixed so low that he might as well not be there. I can't hear a single place where a guitar is featured that is indisputably his.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2012, 11:26:31 PM »

Strange World

The final third of the album (the mini suite) begins. According to Joe, this tune came from Brian's friendship with housekeeper / confidant Gloria Ramos. She's Columbian, and there's a bit of Spanish in the bridge. It was started in 1998. Nelson Bragg is featured on percussion.

Gloria has been a true friend to Brian for decades and while, yes, she is his housekeeper, she's much more than that. We owe her so much.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2012, 11:43:48 PM »

Strange World

Gloria has been a true friend to Brian for decades and while, yes, she is his housekeeper, she's much more than that. We owe her so much.

Well, according to this list she attended Brian's Kennedy Center honor banquet with the Wilson family, so she's clearly important -- and it sounds like to all of them, too, not just Brian. http://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/ws/?pid=83519#axzz1wi4tWlgV
Slow In Brain
Smiley Smile Associate

Rainbow Eyes

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2012, 11:45:53 PM »

Strange World

Well, according to this list she attended Brian's Kennedy Center honor banquet with the Wilson family, so she's clearly important -- and it sounds like to all of them, too, not just Brian. http://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/ws/?pid=83519#axzz1wi4tWlgV

Hear the maid whistle a tune....was that refering to Gloria as well ?

"When the time comes an American can't tell the truth because the Government doesn't, that's the time to give the country back to the Indians, if they'll have it." - Sam Holland

"What draws us all closer and makes us all care. Is not what we have, but the things that we share." - Jill Wolf
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2012, 11:56:11 PM »

Strange World

Hear the maid whistle a tune....was that refering to Gloria as well ?

I'd doubt it. The GIOMH liner notes (from 2004) refer to her as a friend of 19 years, which would mean she came into his life in 1985 or so.
Slow In Brain
Smiley Smile Associate

Rainbow Eyes

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2012, 11:59:56 PM »

Thanks Smiley

"When the time comes an American can't tell the truth because the Government doesn't, that's the time to give the country back to the Indians, if they'll have it." - Sam Holland

"What draws us all closer and makes us all care. Is not what we have, but the things that we share." - Jill Wolf
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2012, 07:44:27 PM »

Should also note that of the tunes on the record, I find about half a dozen of them (TWGMTR, Shelter, Strange World, FTTBA, Pacific Coast Highway, Summer's Gone) seem to have arrangements directed mainly by Brian. At least three more (TATD, Isn't It Time, TPLOBAS) have tracks that seem to include some sort of arranging influence from him. I can't hear his hand at all in Spring Vacation or Daybreak (not that you would on the latter). Beaches in Mind is a tossup -- I can imagine him having a say in some of the vocoder and funky percussion bits, but that could just as easily be a band-directed thing. Overall, then, an album that has a real BW stamp.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2012, 07:45:20 PM by Wirestone » Logged
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2012, 09:36:32 PM »

I was really hoping for at least one track each from Al, Dave, and Bruce...and much less Joe Thomas, Jim Peterik, etc. influence. I`m still going to enjoy this record...guess I thought they had another Holland or Sunflower, or even ASL or Love You in them, guessed wrong. Seems to me like TWGMTR might at least be on the same quality level as MIU or 85.

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2012, 10:31:07 PM »

Easily the best since Holland. And I include Love You in that estimation.

It's an excellent -- if sometimes frustrating -- record.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx