gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680751 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 06:59:11 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: "Back Home"  (Read 3216 times)
Rerun
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: June 12, 2006, 09:38:44 PM »

Can somebody enlighten me about this track.  I mean, Brian records it for 15BO, but there's tapes of him(?) singing it back in what appears to be late 60s, early 70s.  The backing track created and everything...anyway, what's the deal?

"Today, in our increasingly secular world, loving one another doesn't just mean "loving."  It means being forced to accept as normal those behaviors and lifestyles that are absolutely abnormal.  It's not enough to live and let live.  You must chant their mantra as well; you must repent, renounce your own values, and pronounce those of the radical left as superior and adopt them."
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2006, 10:02:42 PM »

Just one of those things that Brian kept revisiting.  There's all kinds of Back Homes from the Sunflower era as well.  He just kept at it until he was able to get a version he felt comfortable releasing, I guess.
Rerun
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2006, 10:07:40 PM »

Do you think he released it because he felt comfortable, or because it was something he had in his back pocket that could be thrown on an album as a Brian Wilson song?

"Today, in our increasingly secular world, loving one another doesn't just mean "loving."  It means being forced to accept as normal those behaviors and lifestyles that are absolutely abnormal.  It's not enough to live and let live.  You must chant their mantra as well; you must repent, renounce your own values, and pronounce those of the radical left as superior and adopt them."
MBE
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2006, 11:19:42 PM »

Well here is the story. There are 3 versions one with Brian on lead from 62-3. I like it quite a bit kinda of a typical car song sound without car lyrics. The 69-70 is my favorite (makes sense as that is my favorite era). Al sings lead with Brian doing the falsetto. The last is a 1975 version with Brian on lead. It is the first recording to have arual evidence of damage to his voice. I still think its fun, but just not quite as good as before. All 3 have different lyrics.
matt-zeus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2006, 11:37:10 PM »

The 1963 version has a verse but no chorus.
The 1969/70 version has a different verse melody and a chorus at the end.
The 1976 version has the 1963 verse melody and the 1970 chorus.
I really like all three versions

Disco, disco, discotheque mama...

My music: http://www.thebrigadier.co.uk
king of anglia
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2006, 12:40:01 AM »

So what are all these different Sunflower era versions Aiejtsche? (Other than the 2 versions found on Get The Boot)
MBE
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2006, 06:44:30 PM »

I have a short rehearsal of the 1970 version but I think its on Get The Boot.
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2006, 01:35:08 PM »

Quote from: Rerun
Do you think he released it because he felt comfortable, or because it was something he had in his back pocket that could be thrown on an album as a Brian Wilson song?

Well, Rerun, I wouldn't be surprised if it were the latter. Supposedly one of the things he had to do under Landy's control during his first round in 1976 was to write a new song every day, even if it were something simple. (That's probably where a lot of the Love You songs came from, especially "Johnny Carson" and "Solar System".) Supposedly one thing he'd do was pull out an old song and try to pass it off as a new song just to slack off on his Landy homework. I wouldn't be surprised if "Back Home" were such an example.

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
MBE
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2006, 04:15:43 PM »

I know the Badman books says different but I think the Back Home 1975 session came right before Landy was hired.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2006, 10:57:00 PM »

I know the Badman books says different but I think the Back Home 1975 session came right before Landy was hired.

It was actually recorded during  a Dennis session.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
MBE
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2006, 01:54:56 AM »

I know Carl was there too because Earle Mankey mentioned this in a 1977 interview.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2006, 02:58:31 AM »

It was actually recorded during  a Dennis session.

Wasn't that "That same song" ?

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
MBE
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2006, 05:09:16 AM »

Same Song seems a little more arranged to me. I think it was cut during the sessions proper.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx