gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 07:45:18 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Show 24: Hollywood Bowl - Hollywood, CA 6/2/12 (PICS/VIDEOS/REVIEWS)  (Read 58831 times)
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: June 02, 2012, 10:50:38 AM »

Show info here

Setlist
(With thanks to Custom Machine)

Videos:

"California Saga"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tc-DtizEqs4&feature=youtu.be

"Friends" w/ all the kids (California Saga) on stage---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QoaHe-MD4-4&feature=youtu.be

"All This Is That" - the only song where both the parents and kids shared the stage together and sung.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48Bpqf76N6g&feature=youtu.be

"Marcella"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XiMEFx5dZGw&feature=youtu.be

One of my favorite parts of this tour is listening to the entire place erupt during "Help Me, Rhonda."  Even when your seat it up front you can hear this mass group singing behind you and it's pretty awesome.  Last night my seat was further back and I wanted to capture the magic that spreads throughout the crowd when this song is played.  I didn't focus on the band but more on the crowd...it was pretty amazing to watch (and hear) a full capacity Hollywood Bowl standing, dancing and singing along with Al and the guys.  It was a great moment:

"Help Me Rhonda"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwVUjuniWRQ&feature=youtu.be

« Last Edit: June 04, 2012, 01:08:14 AM by Justin » Logged
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2012, 11:01:50 AM »

I am contemplating going to see if I can get a ticket from someone who is selling.  Went to Chula Vista and Indio last week, and Irvine tomorrow.  Never bought a ticket to this show because I'm not a huge fan of the venue, but hmmmm....well, we'll see.
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2012, 12:13:41 PM »

I'm basically stuck in an endless loop of "So when should I leave? Will that be enough time to get there? Is that too early? What about traffic? I should do the shuttle. Should I do the shuttle? I'll do the shuttle."

I'm guessing we'll get hit with "Friends" tonight! This more than makes up for Stamos content.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2012, 12:14:54 PM by ontor pertawst » Logged
startBBtoday
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2012, 12:20:14 PM »

I'm basically stuck in an endless loop of "So when should I leave? Will that be enough time to get there? Is that too early? What about traffic? I should do the shuttle. Should I do the shuttle? I'll do the shuttle."

I'm guessing we'll get hit with "Friends" tonight! This more than makes up for Stamos content.

Stamos said on twitter the other day that he won't be there.
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2012, 12:21:38 PM »

Ah! I thought I read on this board he'd be introducing them tonight and in Irvine. I guess the kids are more than enough!
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2012, 12:25:39 PM »

I am contemplating going to see if I can get a ticket from someone who is selling.  Went to Chula Vista and Indio last week, and Irvine tomorrow.  Never bought a ticket to this show because I'm not a huge fan of the venue, but hmmmm....well, we'll see.

GO Eric - it is SO historic a venue!

I'm so jealous!  LOL 

It will be a party!
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2012, 12:36:40 PM »

Soooo jealous of everyone going to the Hollywood Bowl tonight..

Have fun and take many pics and videos  Grin

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2012, 02:45:37 PM »

spent an hour yesterday chatting with h-bowl and ticketmasters to try to get a bus ticket from Pasadena--sold out or at least not for sale

taking no chances: will leave from East side of LA to Hollywood and highland and will take the shuttle at 6.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2012, 06:15:49 PM »

Billy Hinsche posted these on Facebook:

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Generation42
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2012, 06:40:30 PM »

I soooo wish I could be there for the big show at the H-Bowl, but, y'know being a new father living on the other side of the continent kind of puts the kibosh on that!

The historic nature of this show is just through the roof, and if the band pulls out all the stops and performs a rip-roaring set, I happen to think an official release should be in order.

Anyway, enjoy folks! (...and lotsa updates/pics/vids/audio)
the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2012, 07:50:28 PM »

The professor is in f1 in joyous anticipation.

Best to all. What a feeling in the air.
Craig Feldspar
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2012, 11:31:10 PM »

Yo yo, the craigster here. I just got back from the show and walked in the door!... I'm lucky because I am staying just down the street so I avoided traffic by walking home. Anyways just a few quick notes. The show was overall great. I wore my "Keep It Clean With Al Jardine" shirt. The obvious highlight was when california saga joined the band on the stage. they sang "friends" by themselves, which sounded amazing. The Jardines were really getting into it. Then they sang "All this is that" with the band, which was my highlight, Justyn Wilson and Matt Jardine sang Carl's parts. It was truly superb.

The Good: they played "california saga", added "the ballad of old betsy" and kept deep cut classics such as "marcella" and "this whole world". Also, I couldn't hear ANY autotune or whatever on Brian's vocals. Dave sounded great on his solos. Al, Mike, Bruce were top notch. Esp Disney girls.

The Bad: For whatever reason, the crowd took a while to get into it, and was kinda "meh" about any deep tracks and the california saga family reunions. I'm sure people appreciated it, but they weren't really going off and clapping super loudly for Brian's solos or "Heroes or Villians" or getting up and dancing until the end. Al kept saying "don't sit back down yet!". Brian had a decent night, but there wasnt a whole lot of banter between him and the rest of the band compared to what i've heard from previous shows.

Overall, amazing wonderful experience. I'll try to post some videos if they turn out ok.
Craigster Out.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2012, 11:36:03 PM by Craig Feldspar » Logged
Les Chan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2012, 11:53:29 PM »

Thanks for your report Craig.

Interesting that CA SAGA didn't do their own set but joined the Beach Boys.    Did each of the kids get an introduction?

I wish they had done This Whole World in Berkeley.

The crowd at Berkeley was very upbeat and rocking with the BOYS, especially during the second half..

Craig Feldspar
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2012, 11:59:42 PM »

yeah, they introduced each kid. The audience freaked out for the Wilson girls, of course. I think that California Saga is going to do a full set tomorrow night. (with "till I die", supposedly... grr I wish they had played that) Another thing different tonight is that they played the tributes one after the other. Also there was kind of a "mini Pet Sounds" set in the second half in this order: "Sloop John B", "Wouldn't It be Nice" and then "I Just Wasn't Made For These Times". Sorry I don't have a full setlist.

The crowd was fine, I just expected them to be more into it.  Besides the really hardcore fans, the majority of the people were basically asleep or talking through "add some music" and "california saga: california". Their loss though, cuz I had a GREAT time.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2012, 12:01:28 AM by Craig Feldspar » Logged
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2012, 12:10:12 AM »

The crowd was fine, I just expected them to be more into it.  Besides the really hardcore fans, the majority of the people were basically asleep or talking through "add some music" and "california saga: california". Their loss though, cuz I had a GREAT time.
This is exactly how I felt when I saw one of Brian's Smile shows there...I was in the middle section and was totally bugged by all the people talking.  This was a big factor in my decision to pass on this show (but to say yes to 3 others!)
Les Chan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2012, 12:11:34 AM »

Craig,

As long as you enjoyed the show.  Thanks for the kids intro info.   Was Billy H playing an instrument?  

mini Pet Sounds" set in the second half in this order: "Sloop John B", "Wouldn't It be Nice" and then "I Just Wasn't Made For These Times".- It was done this way in Berkeley too.   Also the tributes were back to back with Forever followed by God Only Knows.

You see any celebrities in the crowd??

bcdam
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2012, 12:12:54 AM »

The Bad: For whatever reason, the crowd took a while to get into it, and was kinda "meh" about any deep tracks and the california saga family reunions. I'm sure people appreciated it, but they weren't really going off and clapping super loudly for Brian's solos or "Heroes or Villians" or getting up and dancing until the end. Al kept saying "don't sit back down yet!". Brian had a decent night, but there wasnt a whole lot of banter between him and the rest of the band compared to what i've heard from previous shows.

Overall, amazing wonderful experience. I'll try to post some videos if they turn out ok.
Craigster Out.

It was an amazing night! California Saga was great. I agree with all the above statements too - Brian didn't really say anything at all to the crowd. Mike kept saying "call Amazon and order the album" which a lot of the people under the age of 50 found hilarious.

The new songs sounded great. People were really into "isn't it nice". The kids sounded great on "Friends".

Most of the crowd was into it, with the exception of the shmucks in the Hawaiian shirts behind me who talked through every song (unless they knew the chorus, when they screamed it off key) or the dude next to me who was yawning and checking Facebook the whole time.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2012, 12:15:13 AM by bcdam » Logged
Craig Feldspar
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2012, 12:19:02 AM »

Actually funny almost celebrity story. This one older guy in the box next to us was getting really drunk and shouting "PLAYYYY KOKOMOO!!!!!" from the beginning of act one. His friends started talking to us and told us that he was Deepak Chopra and it was his 62nd birthday. (i'm 26 so I dont really know who that is) I was about to film him being wasted and sell it to TMZ, except just now when I got back I looked in wikipedia and found out that he wasn't Deepak at all and the real Deepak's birthday was in October. Guess I should have told the liar and his friends to be quiet.

LOL about Mike telling us to call Amazon. Can you even order over the phone?

I didn't see Billy H playing during california saga, as the BB band backed them up. I'm sure he was there, I was just distracted.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2012, 12:22:25 AM by Craig Feldspar » Logged
Craig Feldspar
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2012, 12:20:18 AM »

also, this is the BEST backing band i've seen with the band. I've seen Brian and the Mike and Bruce show but this one really nailed everything. The rhythm section was fantastic! all the grooves were real tight.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2012, 12:21:56 AM by Craig Feldspar » Logged
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2012, 12:23:26 AM »

NEED
CALIFORNIA SAGA
VIDEO,
PLEASE.

- Jesus.
Craig Feldspar
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2012, 12:51:48 AM »

Also there was a weird music video that played during "thats why god made the radio" of kids in leather jackets and girls in bikinis that somehow ran into the modern day Beach Boys at a party. It was really low budget and I don't know if it was shown earlier in the tour but it was strange. Is this the official music video?
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2012, 12:54:51 AM »

Mine

anazgnos
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2012, 01:22:07 AM »

Awesome, awesome show.  I thought Brian was really on.  He pretty much nailed all his leads was generally really animated.  He was rocking the f.uck out during "Marcella".  He even brought out an awesome growl for "Sail on Sailor" too.

I was really meh about the whole California Saga thing on paper, but their vocal blend was awesome and having "Friends" in the set was just another great drop in the already generous deep-cuts bucket.  Their two songs were highlights for sure.

Really glad I'm seeing tomorrow night as well.
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2012, 01:25:38 AM »

Fun show! Totally fried and unable to push buttons properly but will post images and weirdness from this show shortly! Before hitting tomorrow night's, definitely.

California Saga video! Cough cough.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2012, 01:26:41 AM by ontor pertawst » Logged
jeffcdo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2012, 01:35:07 AM »

Did not see Billy or Rob with California Saga.  They sounded good, I wish they did a proper opening set instead of just two songs.  I got a little choked up seeing Justyn singing Carl's parts on "All This Is That"

Who was the guy that came out and played accordion for one song, standing between Scott and Darian??
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx