gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680749 Posts in 27614 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 08:38:50 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Show 24: Hollywood Bowl - Hollywood, CA 6/2/12 (PICS/VIDEOS/REVIEWS)  (Read 59181 times)
urbanite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: June 03, 2012, 01:02:36 PM »

Rich P.,

I was sitting fairly close, although not as close as you.  I'll have to respectfully disagree with you, that the vocal by Brian on Please Let Me Wonder, Heroes and Villains and I Just Wasn't made for These Times, could not be miraculously improved in the same show to sound so good, like it was the record, for Isn't It Time.  My take, the group and Capitol want to sell this record and don't want a bad impression caused by Brian to screw things up.  So they add a studio vocal for a short portion of one song during a live performance.

I have to been Brian solo shows before, once at the Wiltern Theatre once at the Hollywood Bowl, and the Roxy, a number of years ago.  His vocals were passable at times amd horrible at others.  I stopped going to the shows   because it was difficult to listen to.  I have never been to a Mike and Bruce show.  Last night, with the exception I noted, was amazing.
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 03, 2012, 01:08:55 PM »

That video was awesome, thank you so much for sharing!

So good to hear Justyn take his father's part on ATIT ... maybe let Matt J do the Jai Guru's instead of Foskett.

Note to Tony, you can see Jeff pass the Jai Gurus over to Matt at the beginning of that part of the song. That's definitely Matt's voice singing them at the end.

It was very, very nice to see Justyn take Carl's part -- wonderful salute to his Dad. He doesn't sound exactly like Carl, but there are definitely moments where it's close.

ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: June 03, 2012, 01:09:09 PM »

Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 03, 2012, 01:12:54 PM »

Look at Dave Marks smile at Jeff when Justyn was singing "All This Is That". You can read his mind...

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 03, 2012, 01:49:55 PM »

I'm so glad everyone is enjoying the videos--it's my pleasure to share them! Smiley

I'm uploading just a few more from last night.  Nothing as earth-shattering as the first three, of course.  First up is a great rocking version of...

"Marcella"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XiMEFx5dZGw&feature=youtu.be

One of my favorite parts of this tour is listening to the entire place erupt during "Help Me, Rhonda."  Even when your seat it up front you can hear this mass group singing behind you and it's pretty awesome.  Last night my seat was further back and I wanted to capture the magic that spreads throughout the crowd when this song is played.  I didn't focus on the band but more on the crowd...it was pretty amazing to watch (and hear) a full capacity Hollywood Bowl standing, dancing and singing along with Al and the guys.  It was a great moment:

"Help Me Rhonda"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwVUjuniWRQ&feature=youtu.be

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #80 on: June 03, 2012, 01:52:49 PM »

Thanks Justin !

Here's another clip of Friends:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9CqEc_7K4A&feature=related

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Paulos
« Reply #81 on: June 03, 2012, 01:55:24 PM »

Have to say, Ambah Love is a fox!
ivy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 03, 2012, 01:55:49 PM »

Great videos, Justin. Thanks!

Sidenote: What is with Jeff doing that walk across the stage thing during Marcella? He did that in Berkeley too. Is it to prove that Brian is singing alone or is he just.... dancing?
JohnMill
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 03, 2012, 01:57:43 PM »

Don't let Mike hear you say that.  He'll throw down mate.  Wink 2

God Bless California
For It Marks My Faith To See
You're The Only State With The Sacred Honor
....to sink into the sea
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #84 on: June 03, 2012, 01:59:02 PM »

Yeah I'm pretty sure she's like 16

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #85 on: June 03, 2012, 02:02:35 PM »

Great videos, Justin. Thanks!

Sidenote: What is with Jeff doing that walk across the stage thing during Marcella? He did that in Berkeley too. Is it to prove that Brian is singing alone or is he just.... dancing?

Don't know but Brian is doing the Marcella-dance (remember Jack Rieley's descripiton?)  Grin Grin

BTW please keep that song in the set for Berlin, Beach Boys !!
« Last Edit: June 03, 2012, 02:03:34 PM by Rocker » Logged

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: June 03, 2012, 02:04:14 PM »

These kids sounds amazing! does the California Saga band actually really exists and tours? or did they just do/made this up for that performance?

Yeah i was kinda like wtf, is this his granddaughter or what.
the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: June 03, 2012, 02:06:36 PM »

professor was there at the bowl, but I am busy heading to Irvine now. Short notes:

they filmed the heck out of last night's show, and I wander if this was to get PBS and DVD footage that they had failed to get in St. Augustine.  Recall that the PBS special is delayed a month. Last night was a good one to film. Children singing those 2 songs was a high point.  

Mike is weak on Kokomo.  Dave still not nailing solo on "Do you want to dance" or a sound glitch?  I do not love that song.

TWGMTR still wanders a bit.  Isn't it time was spectacular.

all in all 9.8 out of 10.  I can live without Cotton fields--hope that is not harsh.

welcome home, BB! David is my fav!

off to the 5 freeway.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: June 03, 2012, 02:07:01 PM »

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
JohnMill
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: June 03, 2012, 02:08:16 PM »

These kids sounds amazing! does the California Saga band actually really exists and tours? or did they just do/made this up for that performance?

Yeah they do exist in fact there is a thread on them on this forum.

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,13091.0.html

God Bless California
For It Marks My Faith To See
You're The Only State With The Sacred Honor
....to sink into the sea
STE
Smiley Smile Associate

"I'm not on top like I used to be"

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: June 03, 2012, 02:09:47 PM »

Thanks again Justin!
I really liked the HMR clip, made me wish I was somewhere there in the crowd.

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #91 on: June 03, 2012, 02:20:48 PM »

Brian on Good Vibrations:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUDdbw2ZFqo&feature=related

- Jack Rieley
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #92 on: June 03, 2012, 02:21:51 PM »

Yeah i was kinda like wtf, is this his granddaughter or what.
[/quote]

Mike's current wife is only in her 50s I think, a 16 year old daughter makes perfect sense.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Paulos
« Reply #93 on: June 03, 2012, 02:24:18 PM »

Oops... Embarrassed
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: June 03, 2012, 02:26:32 PM »

Brian is getting better and better and better on GV..  Smiley
J.G. Dev
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: June 03, 2012, 02:32:27 PM »

LOL  

"Sit down. Would you like some cookies?"
« Last Edit: June 03, 2012, 02:33:32 PM by J.G. Dev » Logged
Tony S
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: June 03, 2012, 02:33:29 PM »

Justin, thank you so much for posting those videos. They were awesome....historic! Hope you, or someone else who attends tonoght's show, will post the Cal Saga segment as well!
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #97 on: June 03, 2012, 02:34:18 PM »

David's solo on "Marcella" is great ! On another video of that song it sounded ok but something wasn't quite right. But now he's got it !

- Jack Rieley
anazgnos
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: June 03, 2012, 03:16:20 PM »

A little momentary fractiousness in the Cal Saga intro, Al feels that one of his kids was skipped, leans across to Mike to shout something and Mike goes "I said, Matt AND Adam, Al, don't worry about it..."
« Last Edit: June 03, 2012, 03:17:26 PM by anazgnos » Logged
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #99 on: June 03, 2012, 03:34:41 PM »

This user has some more cool videos. See the camera guy on stage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IjR3ybQYQ1k&feature=relmfu

- Jack Rieley
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx