gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 10:54:17 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Show 24: Hollywood Bowl - Hollywood, CA 6/2/12 (PICS/VIDEOS/REVIEWS)  (Read 58842 times)
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: June 03, 2012, 03:41:28 PM »

This user has some more cool videos. See the camera guy on stage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IjR3ybQYQ1k&feature=relmfu
Brian's killing it.  Smiley Ya, they seem to be filming for the eventual tour DVD.
jamsvet
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: June 03, 2012, 04:13:27 PM »

Went to Cricket and Hollywood bowl. Sat about halfway back at HB and 2nd row center at Cricket. Truly idfferent experiences. Up close, you can't hear which songs the crowd really gets into. Furthur back and you can hear the place explode when ML says, "Lets crank the hotrods up just one more time". Everyone loved those songs, 409, Shutdown, etc. No lack of enthusiasm there.

I licked the song selection better at HB and hearing BW sing Sail On Sailor rather than Ahmba waqs worth the price of admission.

BTW the Park and ride from Torrance sucked. Got there at 545 left the lot at 720 arrived at 805. Missed the first few mintues of the show. Fair warning for anyone ever thinking of using the Park and Ride in the future.
anazgnos
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: June 03, 2012, 04:48:40 PM »

BTW the Park and ride from Torrance sucked. Got there at 545 left the lot at 720 arrived at 805. Missed the first few mintues of the show. Fair warning for anyone ever thinking of using the Park and Ride in the future.

The last four or five times I've gone to the Bowl, I've used the park & ride from Lakewood and considered it a great convenience, but last night was a pretty different experience.  I don't know if it was the fact that it was a totally sold out show or that audience trending older led to a much higher percentage of people using park & ride, but it was just a madhouse.  It seemed like more people than the system could handle. 

Usually there's only 2 or 3 buses leaving from Lakewood, but there must have been like 20 last night.
kiwi surfer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: June 03, 2012, 05:28:22 PM »

Oh boy... a million thanks for the wonderful videos. I'm lost for words.
Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

Son, don't wait till the break of day....

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: June 03, 2012, 05:39:20 PM »

"California Saga"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tc-DtizEqs4&feature=youtu.be

"Friends" w/ all the kids (California Saga) on stage---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QoaHe-MD4-4&feature=youtu.be

"All This Is That" - the only song where both the parents and kids shared the stage together and sung.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48Bpqf76N6g&feature=youtu.be

"Marcella"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XiMEFx5dZGw&feature=youtu.be

"Help Me Rhonda"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwVUjuniWRQ&feature=youtu.be

THANKS Justin!  Very cool!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Son, don't wait till the break of day 'cause you know how time fades away......
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: June 03, 2012, 06:20:00 PM »

Yeah I'm pretty sure she's like 16

Yeah i was kinda like wtf, is this his granddaughter or what.

Mike's current wife is only in her 50s I think, a 16 year old daughter makes perfect sense.
[/quote]

Yeah dude, i totally know everything about Mike Love's personal life, this is totally normal and makes total sense.
dumbangel76
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: June 03, 2012, 08:33:51 PM »

Thanks Justin! Those videos brought tears to my eyes...
18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: June 03, 2012, 09:02:01 PM »

That Friends video dead set choked me up..That was one of thebest things I have seen.. What a great time this is!!

It’s like he hired a fashion consultant and told her to make him look “punchable.”
Some Guy, 2012
"Donald Trump makes Mike Love look like an asshole"
Me ,2015.
ivy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: June 03, 2012, 09:28:02 PM »

Jeez. Justyn sounds and looks so much like Carl in All This is That it's eerie. What an incredible performance.
jamsvet
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: June 03, 2012, 10:35:32 PM »

What a difference 600 dollars for the two of us makes. First pic is Chula Vista

OR Hollywood Bowl

« Last Edit: June 03, 2012, 10:37:11 PM by jamsvet » Logged
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: June 03, 2012, 10:37:36 PM »

DON'T DO IT!!!

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: June 04, 2012, 02:45:56 AM »

Wooow!!!........Is that model of the bowl some new BB50 merchandise?

Oh, heres something. A family member went to the show (had a great time) and asked about the filming. The tech guy said it was for a live feed to Japan. May have been a kiss-off to a live DVD perhaps? 
« Last Edit: June 04, 2012, 02:56:01 AM by Undesirable Element » Logged
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #112 on: June 04, 2012, 11:34:41 AM »

Review for the Verizon show with picture from Hollywood Bowl:

http://www.vcstar.com/news/2012/jun/04/beach-boys-flash-back-and-forward-hollywood-and-ir/

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: June 04, 2012, 11:37:49 AM »

Review for the Verizon show with picture from Hollywood Bowl:

http://www.vcstar.com/news/2012/jun/04/beach-boys-flash-back-and-forward-hollywood-and-ir/

“Does that bother you when I say ‘The Great Mike Love!’ or is that cool?” Beach Boys leader Brian Wilson asks his cousin, frontman Mike Love. Laughter ensues, Love assures him it’s OK and seconds later the band’s five surviving members launch into the beautiful “Add Some Music to Your Day.”

UGH!  I was talking to the guy next to me during that part and I missed that...what a great moment!
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #114 on: June 04, 2012, 02:44:12 PM »

Another review:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/review/beach-boys-review-hollywood-bowl-332481

And yet another one:

http://kearth101.cbslocal.com/2012/06/03/the-beach-boys-bring-50-years-of-fun-fun-fun-to-the-hollywood-bowl/

The show gets good reviews. That's fantastic promotion. Hope they'll be as good on Leno the day after tomorrow
« Last Edit: June 04, 2012, 03:02:30 PM by Rocker » Logged

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: June 04, 2012, 03:00:27 PM »

That kearth101 review is almost comically full of obvious errors, isn't it?

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #116 on: June 04, 2012, 03:01:42 PM »

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/music_blog/2012/06/beach-boys-hollywood-bowl-review.html

and more pics I found:

The last ones come from this review:
http://blogs.laweekly.com/westcoastsound/2012/06/beach_boys_hollywood_bowl_june_2_2012.php

- Jack Rieley
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: June 04, 2012, 03:03:45 PM »

Prepare to be disapointed re Leno. As was touched on after the Fallon show, Leno will have the usual format, one song (Isn't It Time' I suspect) and possible quicky interview.

Suggested remedy? Rewatch Fallon to calm down! LOL

Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #118 on: June 04, 2012, 03:04:33 PM »

Yeah I'm pretty sure she's like 16

Yeah i was kinda like wtf, is this his granddaughter or what.

Mike's current wife is only in her 50s I think, a 16 year old daughter makes perfect sense.

Yeah dude, i totally know everything about Mike Love's personal life, this is totally normal and makes total sense.
[/quote]

you have posted 273 times on a Beach Boys message board in the past two and a half months, there is nothing normal about you.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: June 04, 2012, 04:10:24 PM »

just got back from spending all weekend in LA.  I willpost some pictures tomorrow. Briefly. both shows were unbelievable.  For me, the Bowl was better as i did the VIP there. My wife and I were in the 2d row, literally less than 10 feet from the stage.The only bother I had was when the medis photogtraphers would crawl  by.  During the meet and greet, I mentioned to Al how I loved his vocal on FTTBA.  He said "thanks", and then, "what was it"? I said"From There to Back Again". He said, "oh, thanks a lot".  That led to a conversation with Fosket. He said to me, "that's such a great song, isn't it?' He was very friendly and talked for a couple of minutes. JUst outside the backstage area, my wife met Carnie, which she was thrilled about.   I took a picture with Matt Jardine and Kevin Love.  I also met Tony Asher, who was very gracious  when I thanked him for his lyrics on PS (""No, thank you.").  

At the Irvine show, we sat just a few rows in front of Jonah Wilson and Annie and what appeared to be their extended family.  Justyn came out and sat for the BB's show after the Cal Saga set.  I did catch their reaction during the Carl tribute. They smiled and watched the screen like the rest of us. At the Bowl, Melinda and their kids were stting just behind us. I thought it was interesting that she and their kids (the oldest are teens now)were up and dancing just like everybody else. Brian's kids were also wearing the sold out Hollywood Bowl t-shirts made special  for the night.  I thought that was pretty cool too.

All in all a great weekend.  
« Last Edit: June 04, 2012, 04:49:59 PM by southbay » Logged

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
Steve Mayo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: June 04, 2012, 05:47:22 PM »

Sidenote: What is with Jeff doing that walk across the stage thing during Marcella? He did that in Berkeley too. Is it to prove that Brian is singing alone or is he just.... dancing?

he also did it at the pittsburgh show ..not expecting that so i thought it was quite funny

moderatorem non facit stultus est ingenio
Jonathan Blum
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: June 04, 2012, 06:27:14 PM »

"...the audience, many of them dancing after casting their canes aside -- miraculously healed by 50 tunes that will never age or die."

Bwahahaha!  Perfect!

Cheers,
Jon Blum
JanBerryFarm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: June 04, 2012, 07:15:04 PM »

Hi, I noticed that in this thread there was some minor dissagreement over the quality of Brians singing.

I personally don't care one way or the other. Brians done a lifetime of superb singing, enough to satisfy me.

BUT, I'm wondering if anyone here could explain what is going on between 2:05 - 2:10 in this close-up of Brian and PLMW, at the Raleigh show.

Foskett doesn't really sound like Brian, tonally, so I hope you don't suggest that it's Jeff shadowing Brian. I'd have a hard time believing that.

Anyway, it's worth examining.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6ZZw_H2Cm4
« Last Edit: June 04, 2012, 07:19:00 PM by JanBerryFarm » Logged

~Hawaiian Shirts Are For Barneys~
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: June 04, 2012, 07:25:49 PM »

It's Foskett.
Kamandi
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: June 04, 2012, 07:48:32 PM »

Was anyone else sitting in the F section during the fight during the intermission?
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx