gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680740 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 18, 2024, 09:43:31 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: So is it as good as TLOS then?  (Read 15604 times)
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2012, 06:21:09 AM »

Yeah Runaways, you better not start propagating spurious bullsh*t in order to justify your fanatically manipulated view of the world.
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2012, 06:31:15 AM »

hmmmmmm if pet sounds is a 10/10, then i'd say TLOS is a 5/10. 
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2012, 06:34:03 AM »

I can't trust anyone whose username is named after that insanely shitty Bon Jovi song. He secretly wishes Bon Jon Bovi sung "Summer's Gone" and all other Beach Boys songs. He's cursing Brian Wilson's contributions to "Summer's Gone" as I speak. How you likin' "Summer's Gone" over there? Pretty damn good, I'll bet.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2012, 06:36:00 AM »

TWGMTR really has its high points, some of which may be better than anything both the group and BW did since BW88 and "Somewhere Near Japan". As an actual album, however, TLOS holds together incredibly well, so I find it really hard to choose between the two. I can definitely say I prefer the overall sound of TLOS.
Gohi
« Reply #29 on: June 02, 2012, 06:38:42 AM »

It's not even close but it has a few really great songs sung by the surviving Beach Boys so that's pretty cool.
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 02, 2012, 06:53:48 AM »

Wow.. I wish I heard TLOS the way you guys do. It never moved me, aside from the 3 songs I mentioned in my 1st reply.
Mark H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 02, 2012, 06:55:20 AM »

TWGMTR is not as end to end awesome as TLOS.

Imagine though if a few of your least favourite tracks on the new album were replaced by your new Al favourites from Postcard.

Even without a new Bruce song stuff like Looking down the coast, san simeon, and I always will could have made TWGMTR more consistantly epic!

Shame it didn't have a longer incubation period with more equal contribution from all Beach Boys.

But yeh, TLOS is more a complete piece than TWGMTR, however if we ever get to hear a finished 'my life' suite/album.....
grillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 02, 2012, 07:09:51 AM »

Wow.. I wish I heard TLOS the way you guys do. It never moved me, aside from the 3 songs I mentioned in my 1st reply.
I'm with ya, man. TLOS moves me not at all...even Midnight sounds kinda forced to these ears!
The new album has the frickin BB singing some decent BW songs...that's what I enjoy.
Well, whatever... hope ya can still enjoy the album!

“You never change things by fighting the existing reality.
To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete.”
― Richard Buckminster Fuller
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 02, 2012, 07:26:11 AM »

If you only rate the Life Suite and not the whole album,
I'd actually say with obvious handicaps, that it is almost as good as Pet Sounds.

Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 02, 2012, 07:36:14 AM »

Exactly :/ but in my heart TLOS will always stay as the last true Beach Boys album.

As I said last week, the only reason TLOS exist is because it's not a Beach Boys album. In other words, The Beach Boys as they have been for the last thirty years would have not considered TLOS to be an acceptable Beach Boys product. And that, in itself, speaks volumes. From what I've heard the new album does have some great moments, and the mere fact that they are back together putting out something that is good is a remarkable achievement that is hard to not appreciate. But it doesn't seem to be in the same league as TLOS.
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 02, 2012, 07:44:24 AM »

I love twgmtr, but there is nothing that matches the *OMG Gasp!* moment in tlos after Southern California returns to the "Om mama Yama glory hallelujah"! Sends a thrill down my spine every time. So tlos > twgmtr for me.
LostArt
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 02, 2012, 07:50:04 AM »

I think That's Why God Made The Radio is way better than That Lucky Old Sun.  And I think TLOS is good. 
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 02, 2012, 07:55:31 AM »

I can't trust anyone whose username is named after that insanely shitty Bon Jovi song. He secretly wishes Bon Jon Bovi sung "Summer's Gone" and all other Beach Boys songs. He's cursing Brian Wilson's contributions to "Summer's Gone" as I speak. How you likin' "Summer's Gone" over there? Pretty damn good, I'll bet.

i didn't know there was a bon jovi song called runaway, why do YOU know that. HMM??  Psyche!
*it's for we'll run away*
generally i like TLOS but not nearly as much as some people here.  A lot of it is old fashioned in a bad way. 
« Last Edit: June 02, 2012, 07:56:38 AM by Runaways » Logged
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 02, 2012, 08:02:48 AM »

Exactly :/ but in my heart TLOS will always stay as the last true Beach Boys album.

As I said last week, the only reason TLOS exist is because it's not a Beach Boys album. In other words, The Beach Boys as they have been for the last thirty years would have not considered TLOS to be an acceptable Beach Boys product. And that, in itself, speaks volumes. From what I've heard the new album does have some great moments, and the mere fact that they are back together putting out something that is good is a remarkable achievement that is hard to not appreciate. But it doesn't seem to be in the same league as TLOS.

True, true! but you know, after all these years not making any albums you'd thought they learned their lesson, right ? and move on to something more artistic to get back some eral hardcore fanbase and all..

Well if the thing with High Llamas f*cked up, i guess it couldn't go anywhere, but how was that impossible ? Brian Wilson had an epic album to offer, the boys aren't doing much expect for touring and obviously aren't interesting young kids, why keep on trying ? why not take time and create real music again ?

It's a shame that it didn't happened, not that it was supposed to be a BB album or whatever, but what if.. oh well, i guess you're right.
Gohi
« Reply #39 on: June 02, 2012, 08:31:31 AM »

If you only rate the Life Suite and not the whole album,
I'd actually say with obvious handicaps, that it is almost as good as Pet Sounds.
Yikes
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 02, 2012, 08:35:43 AM »

I think the forum has 2 camps really, I LOVE TLOS, but i think TWGMTR is also amazing.

Sea Devil
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 02, 2012, 09:11:30 AM »

Well if the thing with High Llamas f*cked up, i guess it couldn't go anywhere, but how was that impossible ? Brian Wilson had an epic album to offer, the boys aren't doing much expect for touring and obviously aren't interesting young kids, why keep on trying ? why not take time and create real music again ?

Can someone give me the lowdown on the high llamas thing, i have no idea what it's about?

Still Lurkin'
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 02, 2012, 09:14:00 AM »

Can someone give me the lowdown on the high llamas thing, i have no idea what it's about?

people wanted brian to work with the guy from the high llamas but he wasn't feeling it, so it never happened.  I think anyway, i'm not sure if it was brian that officially shut it down, but i read here he didn't like it.  i also read that some band members were creeped by him too
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 02, 2012, 09:18:00 AM »

High Llamas is a good band from London, in 1996 they released their album Hawaii and it is heavily influenced by Pet Sounds
(check it out, you don't need to be a pro to hear the inspiration : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIZnhfCCbIo)

Bruce Johnston (i believe so) loved the album wanted to make a new Beach Boys album in collaboration between Brian Wilson and Sean O'Hagan
sounds cool huh? but yeah, it was too perfect to happen..

Here is an article that pretty much tells the whole story :
http://uncanny1.blogspot.fr/2005/05/brian-wilsonandy-paleysean-ohagan.html
enjoy brah
RadBooley
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 02, 2012, 09:35:52 AM »

enjoy brah
Huh, thanks for this-- I had heard about the idea of collaborating and always wondered why it never panned out. Too bad, really-- I love The High Llamas.
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 02, 2012, 09:38:23 AM »

Didn't Joe Thomas say his favorite beach boys album is Surf's Up?  Perhaps Joe didn't know Brian then, but i think he learned.  Brian obviously trusted him to go back, and that recent interview Thomas gave put had him come off pretty well/knowledgeable. 
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 02, 2012, 10:00:16 AM »

enjoy brah
Huh, thanks for this-- I had heard about the idea of collaborating and always wondered why it never panned out. Too bad, really-- I love The High Llamas.

It tells the "whole story" in an somewhat biased way. According to other stories and sources (Carlin's book among them), Brian did not care for Sean at all -- thought he was on drugs -- and was insulted that the band thought this was the guy he should work with. He started Imagination right after.

A good thread on the topic: http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,9255.0.html
« Last Edit: June 02, 2012, 10:03:59 AM by Wirestone » Logged
b00ts
Smiley Smile Associate

Greldont

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: June 02, 2012, 10:01:24 AM »

Didn't Joe Thomas say his favorite beach boys album is Surf's Up?  Perhaps Joe didn't know Brian then, but i think he learned.  Brian obviously trusted him to go back, and that recent interview Thomas gave put had him come off pretty well/knowledgeable. 
Yes, he acquittd himself nicely. I don't think most of the problems with this record can be pinned on Joe Thomas. The ending trio of songs are so strong, I want to hear the suite!

- B00ts
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: June 02, 2012, 10:03:15 AM »

Brian did not care for Sean at all -- thought he was on drugs -- and was insulted that the band thought this was the guy he should work with. He started Imagination right after.

Thus proving who was really on drugs.

I can see Wilson's point about not wanting to work with someone who's doing what he already did decades ago. It would feel a bit weird to work with a disciple sometimes, you want more of an equal or someone to call you on your sh*t.

How many other instances do you have of Bruce Johnston lobbying for the arty side, tho? WEIRD.

Brian should have made a counter-proposal for a producer for the V2 album...

SPECTOR.

(dramatic chord)

Jesus, could you imagine the behind the scenes footage alone? Quality.

« Last Edit: June 02, 2012, 10:09:03 AM by ontor pertawst » Logged
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 02, 2012, 10:11:24 AM »

Brian did not care for Sean at all -- thought he was on drugs -- and was insulted that the band thought this was the guy he should work with. He started Imagination right after.

Thus proving who was really on drugs.

I can see Wilson's point about not wanting to work with someone who's doing what he already did decades ago. It would feel a bit weird to work with a disciple sometimes, you want more of an equal or someone to call you on your sh*t.

How many other instances do you have of Bruce Johnston lobbying for the arty side, tho? WEIRD.

I think this is why brian ultimately liked thomas.  Thomas said that brian is weirded out by disciple types.  And I wonder if in brians brain he attributes smile/high llama music to drugs.  I dunno, brian wasnt writing classics at tha time. I dont think we missed much. 

In regards to tlos, I dont think it has the highs of twgmtr.  Its missing a little magic for me. Still great though. 
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx