gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680756 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 03:09:19 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: So is it as good as TLOS then?  (Read 15612 times)
Sea Devil
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: June 02, 2012, 03:02:10 AM »

i'm still making my mind up, perhaps FTTBA peaks higher than anything on TLOS but i'm not sure right now..

Still Lurkin'
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2012, 03:08:54 AM »

Having all of the remaining BB's voices on one project makes it better right off the bat, imo.

Having said that, it's pretty similar in quality. But whereas to me TLOS has 2 or 3 standout songs (Live Let Live, Midnight's Another Day & Southern California), TWGMTR has at least 5 or 6 (Think About The Days, TWGMTR, Isn't It Time, FTTBA, Pacific Coast Highway, Summer's Gone)
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2012, 03:31:34 AM »

lol Let's not get into ridiculous discussions now, even tho TWGMTR has some solid moments (Life Suite mostly) nothing is near as good and well made as the songs on TLOS ! i mean, just listen to this :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0zrvCWJZQ0
just listen man.

Sea Devil
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2012, 03:51:38 AM »

Yer, if i'm being honest I know that TWGMTR ain't no TLOS, i just want it to be Grin

Still Lurkin'
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2012, 03:53:39 AM »

Yer, if i'm being honest I know that TWGMTR ain't no TLOS, i just want it to be Grin

And so did i, before i heard the record..

well i like the record, but didn't top TLOS obviously, so let's hope for the next one then.
Sea Devil
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2012, 03:59:41 AM »

And so did i, before i heard the record..

well i like the record, but didn't top TLOS obviously, so let's hope for the next one then.

I'm convinced that if the whole album had been that extended 'Life Suite' that's been talked about then the thing would have seen absolutely rave reviews, but i suppose the powers that be can't have a beach boys reunion without a load of 'Beaches In Mind' dross.

Still Lurkin'
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2012, 04:01:56 AM »

Exactly :/ but in my heart TLOS will always stay as the last true Beach Boys album.
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2012, 04:33:21 AM »

TWGMTR needs more bass harmonica and clip-clop percussion.

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
Jaco
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2012, 04:37:46 AM »

and humor, not unimportant
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2012, 04:38:28 AM »

lol Let's not get into ridiculous discussions now, even tho TWGMTR has some solid moments (Life Suite mostly) nothing is near as good and well made as the songs on TLOS ! i mean, just listen to this :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0zrvCWJZQ0
just listen man.

YES.

I even posted a while back that I hoped they would re-record this song for the new album.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2012, 05:05:44 AM »

Tough question. I think TLOS is overall more constant and I think I prefer the mood/production of that album over TWGMTR's, but the best songs on TWGMTR are better than TLOS's best songs.
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2012, 05:06:09 AM »

good kind of love is a cheasy low point on TLOS for me.  TLOS has sorta lost some luster for me over the years.  Live Let Live, MAD and SC are all great.  But the rest range from ok to meh.  It's gonna take a while before i can judge the two properly.  also. i need to hear TWGMTR.  lol.
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2012, 05:11:03 AM »

good kind of love is a cheasy low point on TLOS for me.  

Well that's also why i quoted that song, even the low point of the album sounds great, it has a very well made structure, great bassline and production and catchy melody without the necessary to be ridiculous, if ONLY TWGMTR could have this in its low points.. i mean, say what you want about Good Kinf Of Love (as for myself i just love it, i think it's catchy but i agree there's much better on the album) but it's far less worst than, prehaps, Spring Vacation or Beaches In Mind.

As for TWGMTR high points, idk, for me From There To Back Again is on the same level of quality as the outstanding Midnight's Another Day but then is murdered by that terrible effect on voices..
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2012, 05:19:07 AM »

For me, the high point of That's Why God is indeed "From There To Back Again". It outshines the high points on That Lucky Old Sun (being "Midnight's Another Day" and "Live Let Live") by a bit, but I'd say overall TLOS is the better album.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2012, 05:20:52 AM »

For me, the high point of That's Why God is indeed "From There To Back Again". It outshines the high points on That Lucky Old Sun (being "Midnight's Another Day" and "Live Let Live") by a bit, but I'd say overall TLOS is the better album.

Love
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2012, 05:26:22 AM »

Exactly :/ but in my heart TLOS will always stay as the last true Beach Boys album.

But, it's a Brian Wilson album....

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2012, 05:29:17 AM »

Another Captain Obvious on the board ? jeez! well hey, thanks for saving the day again then!

I don't care man, it's so good that it's just an Beach Boys album to me, that's the way it should have been and that's how i want to remember it, that The Beach Boys ended their career with this outstanding album, as good as the 70's.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2012, 05:36:56 AM »

Stupidest and most unlikely idear ever, but if they went back and had Mike, Al and Bruce redo some of the backing vocals on TLOS (and any other Brian Wilson album, really), well, I think the results would be fantastic. Even if they just redid a few songs from scratch, possibly for single B-sides or something, that'd be keen. Stuff like "Saturday Morning In The City" or "Sherry, She Needs Me" (among others) just don't live up to their potential (imo), and I think the Beach Boys doing them would help in a big way.

It'll never happen, though Cry

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2012, 05:43:05 AM »

TLOS is a good 7.5/10 for me. TWGMTR is probably 5/10

btw If pet sounds is a 10, im not gonna give TLOS more than 7.5.

In saying that, TWGMTR is certainly not 50% as good as Pet Sounds nor is TLOS 75% as good

Ive confused myself now  Huh
« Last Edit: June 02, 2012, 05:46:09 AM by My Brother Woody » Logged

Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2012, 05:47:03 AM »

Stupidest and most unlikely idear ever, but if they went back and had Mike, Al and Bruce redo some of the backing vocals on TLOS (and any other Brian Wilson album, really), well, I think the results would be fantastic.

Well that's what i meant!!!
and actually when i listen to the album i can really picture each members parts, Mike Love would be great on the narrative, right ? i can definitely picture Al Jardine doing lead on some songs like Morning Beat!

I mean the album is great, so having The Beach Boys singin' on it and releasing it as an official Beach Boys album, it can only be epic! would be without any doubt the best thing since Love You for sure.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2012, 05:58:46 AM »

I hear a lot of similarities between TLOS and TWGMTR.

Both have a short album opening song - That Lucky Old Sun/Think About The Days

Both have an ending group of suite-like songs that is the highlight of the album

Both have an ending, Brian-led song about past dreams and past people   

Both have a Mexican flavored song - Mexican Girl/The Private Life Of Bill And Sue

Both have a middle section of songs that are Californian, outdoorsy, positive, girlfriend/love, "let's go do stuff"

Both have an album title song

Both have colorful album covers

I wonder if, during the early planning of TWGMTR, the parties involved had some discussion about TLOS and some influence shined through. If you take the spoken interludes off of TLOS, and add the Beach Boys' voices, I see two similar albums.
Jonathan Blum
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2012, 05:59:26 AM »

and actually when i listen to the album i can really picture each members parts, Mike Love would be great on the narrative, right ? i can definitely picture Al Jardine doing lead on some songs like Morning Beat!

I'd say "Morning Beat" would be one of those everyone-takes-a-line numbers.  Picture it:

Brian does the "That lucky old sun" intro.

Then Mike kicks in with the opening "Mow mamayama", and suddenly it's the friggin' Beach Boys comin' atcha.  A classic Mike uptempo lead: "The sun burns a hole through the 6AM haze / Turns up the volume and shows off its rays..."

Al steps in with "Another Dodger blue sky is crowning LA / This city of angels is blessed every day..."

And then Brian takes the stage with the backing vocal chorus:  "That lucky old sun / Smiles on me..."  (Take that lyrical back-reference, Mike!)

I'm getting goosebumps just thinking about it!

(Oh, and "Southern California" would work really well with Brian, Mike, and Al trading off leads as well.  Brian on the first two lines, up to "Singing with my brothers", then Mike on "In harmony / Supporting each other", then Al.  How's that for a statement right there?  With Bruce on the repeated "Whoa whoa whoa it's magical" at the end...)

Cheers,
Jon Blum
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2012, 06:00:13 AM »

Another Captain Obvious on the board ? jeez! well hey, thanks for saving the day again then!

I don't care man, it's so good that it's just an Beach Boys album to me, that's the way it should have been and that's how i want to remember it, that The Beach Boys ended their career with this outstanding album, as good as the 70's.

My Pleasure, Ziggy, always happy to raise a question whenever someone is propagating spurious bullshit in order to justify their fanatically manipulated view of the world.

TLOS is great.  I don't begrudge your appreciation; and I understand you're offering a double compliment (good BW equates to Beach Boys level).

But you're on your own if you consider TLOS a career bookend for the BB's (when in fact it was Love You  LOL, LOL LOL)

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2012, 06:03:46 AM »

Serious business man, serious business! how dare you Ziggy Stardust say Lucky Old Sun is an Beach Boys album, how dare ? f*cking drama man, this is the end, you crossed the line man, you n00b, i'm calling the cops and banning you right away, serious business, no kidding around here, don't you dare man, you and you're f*cking fanatically manipulated view of the world, you're going to jail next to Charles Manson.

Propagating spurious bullsh*t man, spurious bullsh*t.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2012, 06:07:19 AM by Ziggy Stardust » Logged
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2012, 06:18:05 AM »

Yeah i think TLOS is the gem of the brian wilson solo era (minus smile).  It's not a beach boys album, and i'd never consider it one.  The last great beach boys album is probably Sunflower. 
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx