gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 12:49:11 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: RS's 500 Greatest Albums of All Time - Beach Boys take up three spots.  (Read 12957 times)
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2012, 06:10:44 PM »

Well that IS a bit too much of Beatles albums in a list, yeah.

The Beatles were an album band. The Beach Boys weren't. And by that I mean, that primarily The Beatles are known for there collective bodies of work or albums, the Beach Boys are known for individual songs, but they aren't a singles band by any means.

I guess my point is, no two beatle albums sound alike. But nearly all those pre-pet sounds records could swap tracks with each other and it wouldn't be a big deal.

What other Beach Boy albums were expected to be on there? I'd put Pet Sounds, Sunflower, and Smile.

I'd put every beatles album except With The Beatles, Beatles For Sale, Yellow Submarine, and Let it Be.
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2012, 06:14:27 PM »

i think the beatles were the best/most important "band" of all time, yet still overrated. i mean look at this sh*t
http://www.allmusic.com/artist/the-beatles-mn0000754032#discography

not all those albums are worth that praise imo
« Last Edit: June 01, 2012, 06:16:26 PM by Runaways » Logged
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 01, 2012, 06:41:01 PM »

i think the beatles were the best/most important "band" of all time, yet still overrated. i mean look at this sh*t

See, that is incorrect though. That is all their US and UK releases. The only ones viewed as official are the UK releases.

Please, Please Me ('63)
With The Beatles ('63)
A Hard Days Night ('64)
Beatles For Sale ('64)
Help! ('65)
Rubber Soul ('65)
Revolver ('66)
Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band ('67)
Magical Mystery Tour ('67)
The Beatles ('68)
Yellow Submarine ('69)
Abbey Road ('69)
Let it Be ('70)

All of that plus the following singles is their entire catalog...

From Me to You/ Thank You Girl
She Loves You/ I'll Get You
I Want to Hold Your Hand/ This Boy
I Feel Fine/ She's a Woman
---/ Yes it is
---/ I'm Down
Day Tripper/ We Can Work it Out
Paperback Writer/ Rain
Lady Madonna/ The Inner Light
Hey Jude/Revolution
---/Don't Let Me Down
The Ballad of John and Yoko/ Old Brown Shoe
---/You Know My Name
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 01, 2012, 06:53:54 PM »

See, that is incorrect though. That is all their US and UK releases. The only ones viewed as official are the UK releases.

oh i know.  That makes it even worse!

Please Please me - 5/5 stars
With The Beatles - 5/5 stars
Hard Days Night - 5/5 Stars
Beatles For Sale - 5/5 Stars
Help - 5/5 stars
Rubber Soul - 5/5 Stars
Revolver - 5/5 Stars
Sgt. Pepper's - 5/5 stars
Magical Mystery Tour - 5/5 Stars
White Album - 5/5 Stars
Yellow Submarine - 3/5 Stars
Abbey Road - 5/5 Stars
Let It Be - 4.5/5 Stars

Some of those absolutely are 5/5 albums, but not all but two.  To me, greatest band of all time but still overrated.  In comparison with the beach boys, i usually say i think the best of the beach boys is better than the best of the beatles, but the worst of the beach boys is SO much worse than anything the beatles ever approached, so beatles are the better band, but i'd take the boys every time.  
« Last Edit: June 01, 2012, 06:57:04 PM by Runaways » Logged
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 01, 2012, 07:13:34 PM »

Well that IS a bit too much of Beatles albums in a list, yeah.

The Beatles were an album band. The Beach Boys weren't. And by that I mean, that primarily The Beatles are known for there collective bodies of work or albums, the Beach Boys are known for individual songs, but they aren't a singles band by any means.

I guess my point is, no two beatle albums sound alike. But nearly all those pre-pet sounds records could swap tracks with each other and it wouldn't be a big deal.

What other Beach Boy albums were expected to be on there? I'd put Pet Sounds, Sunflower, and Smile.

I'd put every beatles album except With The Beatles, Beatles For Sale, Yellow Submarine, and Let it Be.

That is not what i meant, like, at all.

I'm not creating a Beatles vs Beach Boys war here, it's useless, and i'm not saying Beach Boys needs more albums in it..  
i'm just sayin' that is way too much Beatles albums, this is not the greatest Beatles albums list far as i know, it's the greatest albums of all time list.

Of all the albums that has been made and released each week since the last 7 decades or so,
whether it is profound piece of art work or indeniable entertainment popular impact/influential, i believe there is a lot of stuff to go through and many great stuff that deserves much more spot than some Beatles albums.

I mean come on, Let It Be part of the 500 best albums in music history EVER MADE ? and not even ONE album by Cat Stevens or Deep Purple in the list ?
let go the fan attitude and be pro again, RS, this is beyond ridiculous.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2012, 07:17:11 PM by Ziggy Stardust » Logged
Eireannach
Smiley Smile Associate

bedårar

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 01, 2012, 07:20:56 PM »

But, but...Kanye!
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 01, 2012, 07:32:25 PM »

But, but...Kanye!

And yeah there's that too : there must like a billion Kanye West albums in that list but zero Tupac ? jesus christ, RS.
Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #32 on: June 01, 2012, 07:34:44 PM »

The Smile Sessions:

Brian Wilson Presents SMiLE:

In a lot of cases "finished" would mean "better."

This would be more accurate if the second bridge was built with Legos.

'Summer Days (and Summer Nights)' deserves to be on the list. It's better than Today.
JohnMill
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 01, 2012, 07:47:25 PM »

But I am pretty tired of The Beatles always taking the number one slot.

They deserve it period.

That being said as a huge Beatles fan I'm starting to worry that this is an obligatory gesture made more out of habit than anything else at this stage in the game. 

God Bless California
For It Marks My Faith To See
You're The Only State With The Sacred Honor
....to sink into the sea
Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #34 on: June 01, 2012, 08:07:40 PM »

But I am pretty tired of The Beatles always taking the number one slot.

They deserve it period.

That being said as a huge Beatles fan I'm starting to worry that this is an obligatory gesture made more out of habit than anything else at this stage in the game. 

I feel the same way about Citizen Kane.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 01, 2012, 08:39:30 PM »

Why don't they print a magazine every month that just says "THE BEATLES THE BEATLES THE BEATLES THE BEATLES THE BEATLES THE BEATLES THE BEATLES THE BEATLES THE BEATLES" in it over and over and over for 100 pages with the occasional photo? A website featuring the same? A person screaming in the middle of a field that people can go up to and shout "THE BEATLES THE BEATLES THE BEATLES" back at?

They were good, but Gosh Darn. You're assaulted with them from the moment you're born and they're absolutely everywhere to the point that voluntarily listening to them sorta feels like voluntarily staring at the back of your hand for a few minutes. They're inescapable, and the absolutely horrid cover versions in multiple commercials at any given time don't help. New rule: Having anything to do with the creation of a punk rawk version of "All You Need Is Love" (never with the horn part because lol hornz are silly and dumb) gets you the death penalty. No questions, no trial, it's your fault, pick out your coffin.

There is indeed something obligatory and habitual about it, it feels. You can't make a list of albums you feel are historically important without including several of their albums lest you look like you don't know anything. You aren't allowed to say you don't care for them or one of their more important songs, because again, people will accuse you of not knowing anything or having *OHNO* bad taste.

Also, while we're at that, how about a "PET SOUNDS PET SOUNDS PET SOUNDS PET SOUNDS PET SOUNDS" magazine, a "TWILIGHT TWILIGHT TWILIGHT TWILIGHT" magazine, a "JUSTIN BIEBER JUSTIN BIEBER JUSTIN BIEBER JUSTIN BIEBER JUSTIN BIEBER" magazine, a "'REAL' MUSIC DIED WITH KURT COBAIN 'REAL' MUSIC DIED WITH KURT COBAIN 'REAL' MUSIC DIED WITH KURT COBAIN" magazine (and I've been a big Nirvana fan most of my life), etc.

inb4 "runnerz ur just a contrarian" or something. ^_^

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 01, 2012, 08:48:43 PM »

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/lists/500-greatest-albums-of-all-time-20120531

#2. Pet Sounds
#271. The Beach Boys Today!
#381. The Smile Sessions

Sunflower which was on the 2003 list did not make the cut this time but it's nice to see Smile which was not on the earlier list (as it had not yet been released).
Wow! Great to see TSS to be on that list!!! On the other hand, I'm kinda sad about Surf's Up being dropped out of it. But anyway, the list is OK, notwithstanding the Beatles' constant victory. After all, I can make my own rating of the best albums myself and be jolly happy with it.  

I thought Sunflower was the one dropped?
JohnMill
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 01, 2012, 09:18:11 PM »

They were good, but Gosh Darn. You're assaulted with them from the moment you're born and they're absolutely everywhere to the point that voluntarily listening to them sorta feels like voluntarily staring at the back of your hand for a few minutes. They're inescapable, and the absolutely horrid cover versions in multiple commercials at any given time don't help. New rule: Having anything to do with the creation of a punk rawk version of "All You Need Is Love" (never with the horn part because lol hornz are silly and dumb) gets you the death penalty. No questions, no trial, it's your fault, pick out your coffin.

They weren't good.  They were GREAT.  Capital G R E A T.  There is a difference. 

Like it or not they are and probably will forever be the measuring stick that all bands will always be held against.  What The Beatles were able to accomplish the the relatively small period of time they were making records is something that will likely never be duplicated again in terms of both popularity and significance.  Are we inundated with The Beatles in pop culture to this day?  Certainly but there is a good reason for that.  What they have been able to accomplish during the decade of the sixties and beyond has been nothing short of remarkable in terms of their brand.  It goes beyond popularity, it probably goes even beyond legacy.  I believe that The Beatles will NEVER reach a point in time when their brand becomes irrelevant.

I've been a Beatles fan for over thirty years now but something I heard on television recently gave me new appreciation for what they've been able to accomplish.  There was this commentator who made mention of the fact that in the entertainment industry no matter what field you are working in, you are going to need an exit strategy because every person or act has an expiration date.  My first thought was: You fool!  Here we are four decades removed from the last new Beatles record and their albums still fly off the shelves, Paul McCartney and Ringo Starr are still two of the most recognizable musicians in the world and the music of The Beatles is still everywhere.  They are the greatest example of entertainers whose brand has never expired and in my opinion never will.

G R E A T

God Bless California
....to sink into the sea
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 01, 2012, 09:25:22 PM »

Oh, you're one of those Beatles fans...
JohnMill
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 01, 2012, 09:29:58 PM »

Oh, you're one of those Beatles fans...

Yep and always will be.  After the members of my immediate family they are probably the four people who have most shaped and influenced my life.  After that there is really not much else I can say except for the fact that I love their music, will forever miss John and George and will always support the group.

God Bless California
....to sink into the sea
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 01, 2012, 09:55:41 PM »

I think The Beatles were good. Why am I not allowed to feel that way?

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
JohnMill
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 01, 2012, 09:58:52 PM »

Feelings are neither right nor wrong.

Nuff said.

God Bless California
....to sink into the sea
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 01, 2012, 10:04:11 PM »

Nuff said.

Heh, so is that a "Fair enough. Agree to disagree," response or a "You think the Beatles are just good? You can feel whatever you like, but it doesn't change facts," response? Sincerely asking.

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
JohnMill
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 01, 2012, 10:15:29 PM »

Nuff said.

Heh, so is that a "Fair enough. Agree to disagree," response or a "You think the Beatles are just good? You can feel whatever you like, but it doesn't change facts," response? Sincerely asking.

Probably the former because any attempt to debate it would inevitably lead to the the "Musical taste is subjective/not subjective" debate anyhow.

God Bless California
....to sink into the sea
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 01, 2012, 10:20:21 PM »

any attempt to debate it would inevitably lead to the the "Musical taste is subjective/not subjective" debate anyhow.

Just askin', and true enough Smiley

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: June 01, 2012, 10:26:37 PM »

I think the Beatles were great songwriters (well, maybe not Ringo LOL ), but I don't really care for the vocals at all.

*runs*

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
JohnMill
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 01, 2012, 10:34:16 PM »

I think the Beatles were great songwriters (well, maybe not Ringo LOL ), but I don't really care for the vocals at all.

*runs*

Ringo was a below average vocalist, George was an acquired taste but I'd be interested to know why you don't care for either John Lennon or Paul McCartney, who many consider to have two of the best "rock and roll" voices in the history of the industry?

God Bless California
....to sink into the sea
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: June 01, 2012, 10:37:12 PM »

I don't know what it is. I do like the later period better, but.. I don't know. Mr.Moonlight, for example, makes me gag. The "heeeeeelp" part in "Help!". Gah...I can't explain it. I don't know if it's the accents or what. Oddly enough, solo I like their voices better.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2012, 10:40:27 PM by Billy C » Logged

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 01, 2012, 10:39:46 PM »

I don't see how you can be a Beach Boys fan who doesn't like the Beatles.  They were probably Brian's greatest influence when he was at his songwriting peak.

Actually, let me rephrase that.  I don't see how you can like music at all and not like the Beatles.  That just doesn't make sense in my mind.

JohnMill
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 01, 2012, 10:41:02 PM »

I don't know what it is. I do like the later period better, but

Does it have something to do with the fact that you like harmony based vocals better?  I can appreciate both schools with The Beach Boys obviously having the best harmonies I've personally ever heard.  Honestly though if you put Brian/Carl vs. John/Paul just on the vocals and asked me to choose I'd have a hard time.  I'd probably go with the boys but John and Paul could do some amazing things.  For example Lennon's vocal on "Anna" to this day is still something that blows my mind.

God Bless California
....to sink into the sea
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx