gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680749 Posts in 27614 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 07:58:54 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: RS's 500 Greatest Albums of All Time - Beach Boys take up three spots.  (Read 13037 times)
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: June 01, 2012, 01:24:43 PM »

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/lists/500-greatest-albums-of-all-time-20120531

#2. Pet Sounds
#271. The Beach Boys Today!
#381. The Smile Sessions

Sunflower which was on the 2003 list did not make the cut this time but it's nice to see Smile which was not on the earlier list (as it had not yet been released).
« Last Edit: June 01, 2012, 01:32:09 PM by Rocky Raccoon » Logged

southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2012, 01:26:34 PM »

381?  Joke.

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2012, 01:29:59 PM »

It's not the greatest songs but albums.

And, lol Rolling Stone.
Zach95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2012, 01:43:04 PM »

How did Sunflower miss the cut? Oh, I forgot, they can't give the Beach Boys 4 albums! Even though every Beatles album is on there!

Ain't nothin' upside your head!
myonlysunshine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2012, 01:46:14 PM »

I'm glad Smile finally has a place on this list, where it belongs, but placing it at 381 is a joke.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2012, 02:02:01 PM »

I'm glad Smile finally has a place on this list, where it belongs, but placing it at 381 is a joke.

I wouldn't put it on the list. It's not even a finished album. If they want to use Smile they have to go with BWPS. It's the only finished record.

And I share a nice little laugh with Ziggy Stardust. Rolling Stone.... haha ....

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
myonlysunshine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2012, 02:10:08 PM »

I wouldn't put it on the list. It's not even a finished album. If they want to use Smile they have to go with BWPS. It's the only finished record.

And I share a nice little laugh with Ziggy Stardust. Rolling Stone.... haha ....

Where exactly does it say an album must be finished in order to qualify for the list? As far as I can tell, the only requirement is that it needs to be released and have some sort of critical acclaim. I'd say it belongs.

And is Today really that much better of an album than Sunflower? I never particularly thought so.
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2012, 02:11:36 PM »

Not sure the "screw RS magazine" would  ompletely work here when a lot of the voters who voted on this list are from the music industry such as Robbie Robertson, Jeff Tweedy, Fats Domino, Richie Furay, Ray Manzarek , Chris Martin.... Check out the full voters list.

But I am pretty tired of The Beatles always taking the number one slot.
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2012, 02:16:14 PM »

I mean, how can you even take this list seriously when there's M.I.A. in it? com'auwn giwuyz
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2012, 02:17:11 PM »

Where exactly does it say an album must be finished in order to qualify for the list? As far as I can tell, the only requirement is that it needs to be released and have some sort of critical acclaim. I'd say it belongs.

As I said "I wouldn't". To me an album has to be a finished piece (it doesn't have to be a concept album or whatever).

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Zach95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2012, 02:25:01 PM »

Not sure the "screw RS magazine" would  ompletely work here when a lot of the voters who voted on this list are from the music industry such as Robbie Robertson, Jeff Tweedy, Fats Domino, Richie Furay, Ray Manzarek , Chris Martin.... Check out the full voters list.

They continually screw Pink Floyd as well.  I don't get what's up with that.  They placed the BB's at the number 12 spot for most influential artists, which I thought was nice, but then how do they only get three albums?

Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2012, 02:27:46 PM »

As I said "I wouldn't". To me an album has to be a finished piece (it doesn't have to be a concept album or whatever).

I almost feel they included TSS on the voting ballot just to cover their ass.  No doubt excluding it from the running would cause a flash mob scene.  But as far as considering it an actual album...I can't sign off on that.
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2012, 02:33:26 PM »

I'm not.  They deserve it more than anyone.

Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2012, 02:35:24 PM »

Oh sure, it's been a rough couple of years for The Beatles...it's good to see them finally get the recognition they deserve.  Undecided
Zach95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2012, 02:36:15 PM »

I almost feel they included TSS on the voting ballot just to cover their ass.  No doubt excluding it from the running would cause a flash mob scene.  But as far as considering it an actual album...I can't sign off on that.

I'm stuck in the middle on this one.  I consider BWPS the "finished" product.  The album that ought to be on that list.  But then we have TSS, which, by all means, intended to fill the "finished" album performed by the Beach Boys void.  It's got a track listing.  It is, by all accounts, an album, whether it is finished or unfinished.  But if I had to choose one for inclusion on that list, I think they should be putting BWPS in there.  Give Brian his due.  For the greatest pop composer of the 20th century, he's sure as heck under appreciated by this list.  Are any of Lennon's solo records really better than the achievement that is BWPS? I'm not so sure.

Zach95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2012, 02:41:01 PM »

I'm not.  They deserve it more than anyone.

I don't mind them taking the number one slot.  I ADORE the Beatles.  But the Beach Boys get no love.  Can someone explain to me how With the Beatles is superior to Sunflower in every way? Because I just don't see it.

Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2012, 02:41:33 PM »

Same here, it would have been a huge breath of fresh air if they gave it to BWPS over TSS.  Regardless of what people think of the production, the Wondermints or the new lyrics etc...this is the only "finished" version of that work ever put on tape.  As great as it is to listen to the actual BB voices and original musicians play on all those tracks on TSS..we're still left with songs with no vocals and incomplete thoughts.  TSS is mix-n-match compilation with a simulated "finsihed" album...BWPS is the whole thing brought to the finish line. 
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2012, 04:02:41 PM »

Same here, it would have been a huge breath of fresh air if they gave it to BWPS over TSS.  Regardless of what people think of the production, the Wondermints or the new lyrics etc...this is the only "finished" version of that work ever put on tape.  As great as it is to listen to the actual BB voices and original musicians play on all those tracks on TSS..we're still left with songs with no vocals and incomplete thoughts.  TSS is mix-n-match compilation with a simulated "finsihed" album...BWPS is the whole thing brought to the finish line. 

"Finished" doesn't necessarily mean "better" though - even with the unfinished tracks, I think the original recordings are better than the finished ones on BWPS, so perhaps the voters in their poll felt the same.
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2012, 04:12:05 PM »

The Smile Sessions:

Brian Wilson Presents SMiLE:

In a lot of cases "finished" would mean "better."
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2012, 04:43:16 PM »

In a lot of cases "finished" would mean "better."

Perhaps, but this isn't one of them.  This is really a debate for another thread (that's been done about a thousand times already), but TSS is a hell of a lot more than an unfinished bridge.  If anything, I'd reverse the pictures in this case, but that's just me.
MyGlove
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2012, 04:45:13 PM »

Today's ranking is the biggest bullsh*t. They got robbed on that one. Especially considering some of the things that ranked higher than it. The Smile Sessions being on the list at all surprised me though. I thought someone posted earlier on another thread that BWPS was on the list too?
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2012, 04:52:38 PM »

It just a magazine, everyone bashes it all the time. I dont think Pink Floyd were in any way massive innovators or nearly as legendary as the myth would have it, but they still got a few better albums than some of the Beatles albums which are overhyped beyond anything else. Also making the list ordered from 'best to worst' is kinda pointless with all these genres floating around. pretty pointless list really, but I guess people who look into it find new artist they learn to like, including many of the old 50's and 60's acts.
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2012, 05:24:18 PM »

Also, Neil Young only enters in the list around the 80 or smthng, wth ?
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2012, 05:37:37 PM »

How did Sunflower miss the cut? Oh, I forgot, they can't give the Beach Boys 4 albums! Even though every Beatles album is on there!

f*** the Beatles and every damn music critic sucking them off since they debuted.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2012, 05:55:29 PM »

Well that IS a bit too much of Beatles albums in a list, yeah.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx