gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:50:49 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Saddest songs  (Read 37176 times)
KDS
« Reply #50 on: June 24, 2017, 05:27:43 PM »

Im not sure if this counts, but the score to Field of Dreams gets me. 

The Baltimore Orioles used the music during the closing ceremony at their original home, Memorial Stadium, in 1991.  Granted, I was 11, and only went to about 10 games there.  But to this day, if I watch that ceremony, its Niagra Falls.

Plus, the ending of the movie.  Good god.  Is there any other movie other the last 30 years that brings more grown men to tears?
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 29, 2017, 11:32:05 AM »

Piano music to "Harry & Tonto", film about old New Yorker who lives with cat & travels to see his adult kids. The cat in the end dies. Sad

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
JL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 29, 2017, 01:17:41 PM »

Hmm. Good topic and posts so far!

"Got To See If I Can't Get Mommy (To Come Back Home)" - Jerry Butler. Ironically David and Jimmy Ruffin did a shorter but nice version of this too. It pains me, but I have to side with Jerry on this. His deep, aching voice suits this song better than anyone else's. And geez, the lyrics tell just about the saddest story I've ever heard. What hardship.

"Mother and Child Reunion" - Paul Simon. Great poetic lyrics, but sad. I think any song about the relationship between a parent can be sad (see Simon's "Father and Daughter" as well, a much later but equally good companion).

"Since I Lost My Baby" - The Temptations. I don't know if Smokey ever wrote better 'sad' lyrics in his early days than here. And of course David Ruffin's lead is perfect. That call and response bridge just breaks my heart. I could listen to that part a hundred times, like Brian Wilson and Be My Baby.

"Fatherless Son" - The Four Tops. An obscure, previously unreleased track that surfaced fairly recently I believed. Yeah, like some of their stuff, it gets to be a bit overblown by the end, but it's still pretty, and sad. I mean, it technically has some silver linings, but even a happy part in a sad story can reduce you to tears, right? Levi Stubbs delivers the vocals in his usual classy but dramatic fashion.

"Sleep Walk" - Betsy Brye. The vocal version of the famous instrumental hit by Santo and Johnny. Breathtakingly haunting, I actually like it more than the original, but it's certainly a close call. But you want sad? Listen to this part: "Sleep talk/Instead of dreaming I sleep talk/While the memory of you lingers like a song". That would be a part where she could, how do they say nowadays, 'drop the mic'?

"I'll Bet He's Nice" - The Beach Boys. I've always struggled with my feelings with Love You, but this song is in my view undeniably great. A bit simple in it's lyrics, but that's the point too, I guess. The sentiment is melancholy: I'll bet your new boyfriend/husband just rocks, he's probably richer and handsomer and funnier than me. And that crushes my soul. I love the demo of this song better than the studio version, though both are good. I can picture Brian playing this song in one of those sandboxes with a piano in the middle, singing in that raspy, throaty mid-70's voice of his in a big, dark empty room all by himself. So touching.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 01, 2017, 04:45:37 AM »

"Since I Lost My Baby" - The Temptations. I don't know if Smokey ever wrote better 'sad' lyrics in his early days than here. And of course David Ruffin's lead is perfect. That call and response bridge just breaks my heart. I could listen to that part a hundred times, like Brian Wilson and Be My Baby.

Smokey could certainly deliver when it came to heartbreak. "Ooh Baby Baby" is another, sung by the man himself and his fellow Miracles:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOg9Em_4bew

The mood is perhaps appropriate at this sad time. Poor Manhattan.

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
petsoundsnola
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 01, 2017, 05:51:50 AM »

When She Loved Me from Toy Story 2 gets me every time!  Great choice!

Keeping with the theme of animated movie songs, I'll add that "Baby Mine" from Dumbo is quite the tearjerker for me as well.

Oh, and "Someday Never Comes" by CCR is just so freaking sad...
« Last Edit: November 01, 2017, 05:53:25 AM by petsoundsnola » Logged
KDS
« Reply #55 on: November 01, 2017, 08:00:14 AM »

Can I nominate any Christmas song played before Thanksgiving?
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 01, 2017, 08:38:02 AM »

LOL

Over here we have Sinterklaas on December 5th. No one would dare play a Christmas song before then!

The shops certainly wouldn't----Sinterklaas is far too big a money-spinner for that. Grin

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sinterklaas

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
KDS
« Reply #57 on: November 01, 2017, 08:49:51 AM »

LOL

Over here we have Sinterklaas on December 5th. No one would dare play a Christmas song before then!

The shops certainly wouldn't----Sinterklaas is far too big a money-spinner for that. Grin

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sinterklaas

We have Thanksgiving between Halloween and Christmas.   Unless you're a grocery store, Thanksgiving isn't really a big money maker.   So, most places here go full on Xmas mode after Halloween.  While watching a marathon of Simpsons Halloween episodes yesterday, I saw a Xmas ad for a petstore during every commercial break.
1-1-wonderful
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 01, 2017, 01:24:25 PM »

Martha by Tom Waits
MikestheGreatest!!
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 03, 2017, 02:39:16 PM »

Sad Song, Lou Reed...
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: September 12, 2018, 12:16:10 AM »

Rickie Lee Jones "Rainbow Sleeves", Tom Waits-written. Dislike. Hope Tom didn't sing this snoozer.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
beatnickle
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 12, 2018, 08:47:49 AM »

Against All Odds...……..Phil Collins
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 13, 2018, 06:04:01 AM »

Not sure if this one has been mentioned yet. Rick Danko sounds shattered and bewildered in equal measure on The Band's "It Makes No Difference":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRlrVXg0960

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 13, 2018, 06:36:53 PM »

I will say this - the Band may be among the few bands where I dislike each vocalist's voice.

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 14, 2018, 03:13:30 AM »

I will say this - the Band may be among the few bands where I dislike each vocalist's voice.

RR, do I see a pattern emerging? LOL

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 14, 2018, 03:53:42 AM »

Which pattern do you mean? I'm not sure what you talk about.

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 14, 2018, 04:48:48 AM »

Which pattern do you mean? I'm not sure what you talk about.

The pattern where I say I like some artist, song or album and then you say you don't like it! Grin

I believe you, but it's still a repeating pattern. I've come to expect it from you. Wink     

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 14, 2018, 06:11:16 AM »

I dislike the artists, songs, albums you like. Then there's the artists, songs, albums I like you like as well. Then there's the artists, songs, albums I like you dislike. Don't forget then there's the artists, songs, albums I dislike you dislike as well. In case you didn't know, it's patterns that take place now & then as well. Anyhoo, it's free board, I can reply I dislike or like sth. to any poster if, of course, the artist, song, album they listed is sth. I did listen too.

Fair?

Topic - "Stradivarius Vivaldius" by New Brothers Channel (local band, again rutube link which will not be available to you, people abroad).
« Last Edit: September 14, 2018, 07:53:27 AM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 14, 2018, 10:51:15 AM »

I dislike the artists, songs, albums you like. Then there's the artists, songs, albums I like you like as well. Then there's the artists, songs, albums I like you dislike. Don't forget then there's the artists, songs, albums I dislike you dislike as well. In case you didn't know, it's patterns that take place now & then as well. Anyhoo, it's free board, I can reply I dislike or like sth. to any poster if, of course, the artist, song, album they listed is sth. I did listen too.

Fair?

Fair! Smiley

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 02, 2018, 03:12:16 AM »

"Tramp And The Young Girl" is such a sad song--although I'm feeling anything but sad right now.

My flatmates in Notting Hill used to play the album this comes from late at night, armed with a spliff (or two).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-L3tlduQ-Rg

https://www.discogs.com/Mark-Almond-Mark-Almond/release/7403572

beachcat
Smiley Smile Associate

Gen X'er "Living in the Past"

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 09, 2018, 08:32:15 PM »

"Big Bad John" Jimmy Dean
"If It Be Your Will" Leonard Cohen
"Tears in Heaven" Eric Clapton

And then, the Beach Boys "Until I Die"

All of these have made me weep.

"Star bright, star light,
Make this wish come true tonight..."
Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

They know I'm rock 'n' roll through and through.

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 10, 2018, 06:22:50 AM »

That makes me cry too, but for different reasons.
Aum Bop Diddit
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 13, 2018, 08:04:13 PM »

"Empty  Glass" -- Gary Stewart
"Street Hassle"  -- Lou Reed
"When the Spell is Broken" -- Richard Thompson
"I've Been Loving You Too Long" -- Otis Redding
"Independence Day" -- Bruce Springsteen
"In My Room" and "A Day in the Life of a Tree" -- The Beach Boys

Hey!  Those are *MY* wind chimes!
gruelingpace
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 13, 2018, 11:09:29 PM »

That makes me cry too, but for different reasons.
Makes me cry for altogether different reasons It's sh*t.

And I once liked that stupid album out of compulsion. ...and its unplugged Layla and that awful song.
I resit it no matter whether it sways me n weakness or not. It's just as fiendish as "On Eagles Wings" , the most hated hymn in the entire canon for anyone who's ever  lost their family. f*** Tears in Heaven and f*** Eagles Wings.

Eric Clapton should sell his guitars to addicted barbadian(?) people and enjoy millions of dollars.  Stop blubbering about his son he never would have raised anyhow.

« Last Edit: December 13, 2018, 11:17:33 PM by greenhorn » Logged
gruelingpace
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 13, 2018, 11:14:06 PM »

That's silly complaint. How dare you! I think if anything there's to complain about The Band's vocalists it would be their singing, or vocalizing. OR choices as vocalists. Imperfect by design.  How I consider it though.

Really, if the Band's vocalists are the thing turning you off ....is there any other way you can access these handful of perfect songs by Robbie Robertson?
I don't know of better interpretations. Perhaps some fellow board-members can spring some ideas on her.

gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx