gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 02:32:22 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Remembering Dennis Wilson (1944-1983)  (Read 13832 times)
RobtheNobleSurfer
« Reply #25 on: December 30, 2005, 08:32:55 AM »

Go back and watch the Knebworth DVD. It was a crappy performance only important for its "historical factor". But the one saving grace was Dennis. It was his first show back after a forced sabbatical and his obvious delight and joy at being a BB was infectous. Even seeing it on screen. The live band lost a lot when he died.
jabba2
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 30, 2005, 10:22:26 AM »

I think he looks good in that picture. At least he didnt look like alcoholic jesus as he did throughout much of the late 70's.

RIP Dennis. He made so much great music, some never to be heard.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2005, 10:31:13 AM »

Go back and watch the Knebworth DVD. It was a crappy performance only important for its "historical factor". But the one saving grace was Dennis. It was his first show back after a forced sabbatical and his obvious delight and joy at being a BB was infectous. Even seeing it on screen. The live band lost a lot when he died.

It is fun to watch him -- the devious grin at Mike during Surfer Girl, the exhuberance at the piano as Help Me, Rhonda begins...good stuff. Too bad he sings absolutely terribly, even for him.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
monkee knutz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 30, 2005, 11:23:40 PM »

I just read the People cover again, thought this was odd- ..."ends the act of America's most troubled supergroup."
22 years later Mike is still flogging it with Bruce, only.
Howdy Doody
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 01, 2006, 08:41:34 AM »

His beautiful music lives on in the hearts and musical spirits of his loving fans.
LaurieBiagini
Smiley Smile Newbie

Songwriter/Singer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: January 01, 2006, 02:46:42 PM »

His beautiful music lives on in the hearts and musical spirits of his loving fans.
YES! Well-said!

Check out my music on my website: http://www.myspace.com/lauriebiaginimusic
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 02, 2006, 03:04:05 PM »

i just got done reading Dumb Angel- Life & Music of Dennis Wilson, simply one of the best BB books i've read in a while

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
theeponymuseudonym
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 13, 2006, 06:02:36 PM »

DENNIS WILSON- hes a clubber, a lover, and lives on within the hallowed digital remixed halls of the internet guru dev.

bamboozeled til he died.

P.S.- He and mr. melcher went down knowing the truth about the manson murders.
         i think mr.love knows more also, but he's not tellin'!!!

Pacific ocean blue album....his goodbye to us all.
Surfer Joe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 13, 2006, 07:15:04 PM »

I had just seen them live that summer and had remarked to my then-girlfriend that Dennis wouldn't last the year.  During the opening "California Girls" he had steadily sped the tempo up until the band was struggling to play it almost double the speed that it had started.  During "You Are So Beautiful" he sounded like you'd expect.  A lot of the rest of the show he just stumbled around onstage.

When the awful news came, I was sitting on my girlfriend's bed watching TV with her, and we saw the same eerie clip that Brian did, from the pier at Marina Del Rey, with the body covered up.  It was a horrible  feeling.  I was a freshman in college.  At the time I didn't really know anyone else (except my girlfriend) who would have cared.

I think I have that People magazine around somewhere, too.

I've been to the spot in Marina Del Rey to remember him.  There's a heavy feeling there.

"Don't let the posey fool ya."

-Prof. Henry R. Quail-
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: February 13, 2006, 08:01:01 PM »

I had a feeling it was coming...for a couple of years, Dennis looked worse everytime I saw him on TV, like on the Dick Clark special in late '81, and the Good Morning America show from 1980 that I didn't see until summer '83...and his voice just kept getting worse...and when I saw him in People Magazine that May, I remember saying to my buddy "Dennis looks like hell".  With him missing much of the touring, and all the publicity they were getting that year (Brian "shangahied" by Landy, the Jim Watt stuff, etc.)...I just had a funny feeling one of them would be gone by the year's end.  I could just sense it.

That December, away from home attending college, the local radio station announced Dennis' birthday, and played "I Can Hear Music" (I think it was a nationally syndicated show).  The week of Christmas, I'd been visiting my sister & brother-in-law with my folks...had just seen a cover band in a bar do a BBs medley, ending with "When I Grow Up".  And a couple days later...
I went to bed the night of the 28th, not having heard the news yet...and, as I had done often recently, I remembered Dennis in my prayers...asking God to help him with "whatever problems he may be having".  The next morning, I woke up early to watch something about Simon & Garfunkel on the "Today" show, and when they flashed that picture of Dennis (taken the year before), I felt a lump in my gut.  I just knew it, before they even announced it.  Later that day, I remember the radio news had some fan in Britain on talking about it (AGD?  Mike Grant?  wasn't familiar with those chaps then, so who knows), and they played "409".  Later that night, CNN had a report and showed clips from their preformance at the White House (Denny looking bloated and washed out behind the drums) and Atlantic City (Brian lunging with the bass and bellowing "Barbara Ann" into a mic with Carl).  I remember feeling scared for Brian.  But I guess he was stronger that I'd imagined. 

I'd better stop now.  Too many memories. 

As David Leaf said, "shocked, but not surprised".
C-Man
theeponymuseudonym
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 15, 2006, 08:13:57 PM »

Dennis Loved Jesus Christ....his music on POB attested to this fact,
alot more than Mike Love blaspheming by saying all gurus and philosophies give praise
to the same GOD! on He Come Down...read the words

all this is that-beautiful song, but just as blasphemous im sorry to have to say.

i just hope Denny asked forgiveness and repented before he lost consciousness that fateful day.

John 3:16 kjv
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: February 15, 2006, 08:43:40 PM »

alot more than Mike Love blaspheming by saying all gurus and philosophies give praise

all this is that-beautiful song, but just as blasphemous im sorry to have to say.

i just hope Denny asked forgiveness and repented before he lost consciousness that fateful day.

I'm Christian but people like you annoy me. Don't use other people to push your views.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
theeponymuseudonym
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 15, 2006, 10:21:58 PM »

its cool, i thought i'd give it a go...i know probably this thread wouldn't be the most appropo,

but i figured it would touch a nerve so i went for it anyway.

i love yr reply to my Goin Pubic post, man.
Surfer Joe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 16, 2006, 01:08:00 AM »

I have no problem at all with your expression of faith and your comments on Dennis' music.  I don't think it's inappropriate.  But you have to realize that when you accuse people of blasphemy because you don't like their theology you risk playing into the worst paranoias people have these days about religious intolerance.  The best way to receive tolerance is to extend it- just my two cents.  Hope that wasn't too pompous, either.

"Don't let the posey fool ya."

-Prof. Henry R. Quail-
pavlos brenos
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 16, 2006, 01:35:25 AM »

This quote from Dec 28th, 2005:
WOW! What an album cover. Those thieves at Tripod should be ashamed, they ripped off Dennis!

I think AGD was making a subtle reference to Dennis' priapic tendencies (and no, I don't think that "Woody Woodpecker Symphony" was a reference, subtle or otherwise, to the same thing...........).
Dennis might have had a shortened life but it was probably a more exciting life than most lives tend to be.....................
Margarita
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 17, 2006, 06:32:46 PM »

monkee knutz, I still remember coming home from school, opening the mailbox, and seeing that People cover.  I was 12, and had been a BB fan most of my life.  I don't remember if I knew of Dennis's death before seeing that magazine.  However, standing in the street holding that magazine, I do remember feeling very, very sad.  I think that was my first realization that there's often more to celebrities than what they present through songs, TV appearances, etc., and that the Beach Boys had some dark, disturbed stuff under that beautiful music. 

But she's still dancing in the night unafraid of what a dude'll do in a town full of Heroes and Villains...
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 17, 2006, 08:33:59 PM »

I agree with every word.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
theeponymuseudonym
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 17, 2006, 11:53:10 PM »

No praises to me, you're actually agreeing w/ The Bible and His word.

I see no irony that a man as beautifully flawed/talented as Dennis Wilson, was all at once so in tune w/ his spiritual ineptness and wa so humble.  He could take all the B.S from the BB's and chuck it.

And we, the fans are all the more satisfied cause we were blessed to be able to hear Dennis' fragile tender songs on POB. Don't get me wrong--he knew he was a hard liver, tell me what cocky little punk out there nowadays has the humbleness and greatness of Dennis Or Brian....ZERO, if i should be so bold.

I'm glad that now Brian has publically acknowledged liking Jesus Christ as GOD.
i forget where, but it's a recent interview. But still, w/ Dennis , i pray for Brian Wilson,
that he does accept that Christ died for his sins, there he will find true peace and forgiveness.!!!
LaurieBiagini
Smiley Smile Newbie

Songwriter/Singer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: February 18, 2006, 11:47:16 AM »

I couldn't resist posting this picture

Check out my music on my website: http://www.myspace.com/lauriebiaginimusic
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: February 18, 2006, 01:24:04 PM »

No praises to me, you're actually agreeing w/ The Bible and His word.

I see no irony that a man as beautifully flawed/talented as Dennis Wilson, was all at once so in tune w/ his spiritual ineptness and wa so humble.  He could take all the B.S from the BB's and chuck it.

And we, the fans are all the more satisfied cause we were blessed to be able to hear Dennis' fragile tender songs on POB. Don't get me wrong--he knew he was a hard liver, tell me what cocky little punk out there nowadays has the humbleness and greatness of Dennis Or Brian....ZERO, if i should be so bold.

I'm glad that now Brian has publically acknowledged liking Jesus Christ as GOD.
i forget where, but it's a recent interview. But still, w/ Dennis , i pray for Brian Wilson,
that he does accept that Christ died for his sins, there he will find true peace and forgiveness.!!!

From "the Sun" December 2005(Brian Wilson):

Are you religious?

I’m not religious, but I’ve always liked Jesus Christ. I like what Jesus Christ stood for and what his vibrations were all about.

Gotta love Brian's interviews, don't you?

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx