gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 12:44:00 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Remembering Dennis Wilson (1944-1983)  (Read 13826 times)
LaurieBiagini
Smiley Smile Newbie

Songwriter/Singer

View Profile WWW
« on: December 28, 2005, 09:47:49 AM »

It was on this day in 1983 that the music world lost a great talent, and the Beach Boys lost a brother and founding member.  Dennis Wilson, the real beach boy, helped to inspire the themes behind the music of the group, and later made some very beautiful music of his own.  He left this earth way too young.  A toast to Denny.  He will always be remembered....

Check out my music on my website: http://www.myspace.com/lauriebiaginimusic
Jason
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2005, 09:52:04 AM »

Rest in peace, brother. We love you and your music.
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2005, 09:56:08 AM »

The Mechanic

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2005, 10:10:28 AM »

Best. Album. Cover. Ever.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Jason
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2005, 10:12:54 AM »

WOW! What an album cover. Those thieves at Tripod should be ashamed, they ripped off Dennis!
Andrew
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2005, 10:21:10 AM »

Anyone want to post their memories of 28 December 1983. Mine aren't that special, but I do remember we were on a road trip as a teenager during the summer holidays (I'm in South Africa) with my family and I heard it on the radio news bulletin. Wasn't a fan then but I remember being surprised this would happen to one of the "squeaky clean" Beach Boys
LaurieBiagini
Smiley Smile Newbie

Songwriter/Singer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2005, 10:31:04 AM »

Anyone want to post their memories of 28 December 1983.

It wasn't until the evening news that I heard about it.  I was 17 years old at the time...my first thought was shock and disbelief... then my heart sank and I just felt numb.  I went downstairs to my room and put on my Beach Boys LPs and listened for hours.  It was a very sad day.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2005, 10:36:54 AM »

No recollection. I was 7 years old, and probably playing with He-man action figures or something, it being a few days after Christmas.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Jason
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2005, 10:39:42 AM »

I was born six months after this happened, so naturally, I have no recollection.
Ken.W
Honored Guest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2005, 10:54:06 AM »

I was in my bedsit with 'Farewell My Friend' playing, eating baked beans on toast ( .. a delicacy for me at the time); when the news came on about Dennis.

Numb .. totally numb.

"You're entitled to protect your copyright. You're not entitled to control the Internet," - Federal Court Justice Murray Wilcox
Mark A. Moore
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2005, 10:56:25 AM »

I remember it well . . .

I saw the Beach Boys perform in 1982 . . . and the only two guys missing were Brian and Dennis . . . for obvious reasons. A few months later, Dennis was dead. I was in high school at the time, and it hit me pretty hard. By then, I was well into my interest in the Beach Boys and Jan & Dean. I had just seen J&D perform the year before.

M.

SurferGirl7
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2005, 10:59:21 AM »

I remember hearing about when he died when I was little (a LONG TIME later). I remember being angry because he was my favorite back then (the reason I brought a cheap car and surf tape when I was like eight just for Do You Wanna Dance). It seems there is certain people that are just bound to never be old. Sadly I think Dennis was one of them. I would have appreciated though having him stick around. I think he would have been a great solo artist. A lot of dreams died that day for sure. R.I.P. Denny.  
Reverend Joshua Sloane
Smiley Smile Associate

Since I cannot rouse heaven I intend to raise hell

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2005, 11:14:57 AM »

Well I guess I jus-a wadant may fo thee time

*double speed*

Did it ever occur to you, Cable, how wise and bountiful God was to put breasts on a woman? Just the right number in just the right place. Did you ever notice that, Cable?
PMcC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2005, 12:55:28 PM »

I removed myself from the news of Dennis's death back then..stayed stone cold and unemotional..might have mumbled "that's a shame" when I saw the news report on tv, and went on with my life. It wasn't til several years later that the full extent of the loss hit me squarely on the head, and I realized what a great talent he was, and what was lost so young.

"Anytime I want to hear the Beach Boys, I put on a Brian Wilson CD"-Paul McClelland
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2005, 01:11:01 PM »

Not a good Christmas: a close family friend (also called Dennis, eerily enough) had died on Boxing Day... then a few days later my radio alarm wakes me up with The News. Stumbled downstairs, into the kitchen, mumbled "Dennis is dead". "Yes, we know". "No, Dennis, Dennis Wilson". Right about then the phone rang and pretty much rung off the hook all day. I knew he wasn't in the best shape, but even so... hell, it was Dennis - he was indestructable.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
David C.
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2005, 01:48:56 PM »

Ok, I'm going to be honest here. This was my initial reaction, and I'm ashamed to admit it. But of course, when reality hit, I was very upset.  I was in my kitchen with my wife and the "news" came on.  I stopped cold in my tracks, totally freaked, because they said "one of the Beach Boys has died". All I could think of was that Brian was dead, and I started hyperventilating. Then as the picture went further, it was Dennis. I'm very sorry to say that I was relieved. I know...shoot me. I was always so worried about Brian that the shock just made me scared, then relieved. And then, of course, totally confused and frightened that this could even happen, the whole drowning thing. It was quite a shock, for sure. At the very least, I was grateful for seeing Dennis live several times. He was one of a kind indeed. And thankfully we have his wonderful music to treasure always.
monkee knutz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2005, 02:00:10 PM »

I was completely bummed, but it didn't hit me to stick to eventually answer the 'where were you when this happened' question. I must have been WAY preoccupied with another part of my life- 10th grade and late puberty (bleeech!). It did however send me on a Beach Boy buying spree and deeper fascination of the cousins, friends, & brothers. I also recall all the major press attention his death brought on. For a guy that died at 39 (I believe?)- he looked far beyond his years. Amazing what substance abuse can do to one's body. Incredible loss. Damn shame.
oldsurferdude
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2005, 03:24:39 PM »

In high school(class of '66) all the girls loved Denny-he was also the role model for alot of the guys as well-he was everyone's hero-and when I stsrted playin' music, I got to sing their music-later on I sang lead on Forever-but not untill I got to see Denny do it live many times-he was all about style-He was born with it-I even remember seeing them introduced as "Dennis Wilson and The Beach Boys". Fortunately, I got to meet him on several occasions-what a guy-there he was, the quinessential Beach Boy! The hero of my youth! I feel sorry for those who never got to see him live-it had nothing to do with him being a fantastic drummer or anything else-his just being there was all it took-
Mark A. Moore
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2005, 03:32:07 PM »

How's this for a groovy picture of Dennis? . . . The caption says "Denny's Drums, circa 1964 . . . how Picasso is that?" . . . From Dumb Angel #4: All Summer Long.

Yeah, I'd say we remember . . .

M.

Susan
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2005, 09:15:10 PM »

I never saw Dennis live, and while i remember hearing about his death, it didn't stick with me either.

My greatest Beach Boys-related regret is that i never met, or even saw, Dennis.  Or Carl, but the one that really grinds is Dennis.  Rest in peace, little surfer boy.

All of My Dad's Truck's on-line tracks all in one place!
LaurieBiagini
Smiley Smile Newbie

Songwriter/Singer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2005, 10:44:16 PM »

How's this for a groovy picture of Dennis? . . . The caption says "Denny's Drums, circa 1964 . . . how Picasso is that?" . . . From Dumb Angel #4: All Summer Long.

Yeah, I'd say we remember . . .
M.
Awesome photo, Mark.  Thanks for posting that.   Smiley

monkee knutz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2005, 10:58:52 PM »

When I was 10 I had the priveledge of seeing Denny with the BB's on 10.28.78. Show's over- the only encore was Denny. He came out half nekkid (hi Laurie!), soaking wet from sweat (hi again!), played about half of You Are So Beautiful on the piano, stood up on the piano and sang the rest of the song. Voice completely blown-out. He sounded terrible, but the crowd ate it up and went apeshit. Like Oldsurferdude says, it was just about him being there. I knew I was witnessing something special, but didn't know what it was- and in retrospect... I now understand what I didn't know at that time. Something about Denny was magic.
Here's my souvenir from that show- I also came away with a tourbook, some fond memories, and a contact high from the hippie sitting next to me.

$8.50 to see the show. God I miss the past.
LaurieBiagini
Smiley Smile Newbie

Songwriter/Singer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: December 28, 2005, 11:11:29 PM »

Thanks, Kevin.. I love reading about concert experiences like that.  You were so lucky to have seen him in concert.  Great memories... thanks for sharing.  Smiley

monkee knutz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2005, 11:16:31 PM »

This recovered mag was with my ticket stub... I bought it when it hit the shelves in Jan '84

Seeing this again makes me sad.  Cry
Susan
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2005, 07:04:59 AM »

Not a good picture of Dennis, either...he looks bloaty and saggy.  Very, very sad.

All of My Dad's Truck's on-line tracks all in one place!
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx